Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/willsommer/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
You know I gotta ask, does that really count as a rally given that there's like six people even listening?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know I gotta ask, does that really count as a rally given that there's like six people even listening?

where we go one we go all, so transitively every q believer was actually there

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1171...ingawful.com%2F

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
gently caress, really pilot testing the coming climate genocide. And it seems so easy too when it's out of sight enough that some plausible deniability is maintained so everyone who prefers not to see it (which is almost everyone) is given an out. And people will keep wondering how it was that millions and millions of people would watch by and not even notice the largest genocide operations in history.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's also this gem

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...omeless-people/

quote:

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the administration is considering razing tent camps, creating new temporary facilities or refurbishing government facilities as part of Trump’s directive on homelessness. The changes would attempt to give the federal government a larger role in supervising housing and health care for residents.

Some administration officials expressed skepticism that the federal government wanted to get in the business of operating a large homeless shelter in Los Angeles. There were also questions about the feasibility of turning the FAA facility into a shelter and how it could legally be done.

One administration official with knowledge of Trump’s visit to California said there were discussions about a homelessness announcement next week.

Senior administration officials said that forcing people into new facilities was not under consideration, with one official telling The Washington Post: “We’re not rounding people up or anything yet. You guys in the media get too ahead of yourselves.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

“We’re not rounding people up or anything yet"

quote:

yet

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dont get too ahead of yourself like the media does now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Prester Jane posted:

Dont get too ahead of yourself like the media does now.

yeah I heard that back in 2016 and everyone "freaking out about camps and mass kidnappings" turned out to be right

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/8Notables/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

FAUXTON posted:

yeah I heard that back in 2016 and everyone "freaking out about camps and mass kidnappings" turned out to be right

Remember all those lectures back then about how our robust Federal institutions would handily resist the worst of Trumps impulses, and although he would make things worse, he wouldn't be able to do very much damage because he was too incompetent?

Well now I.C.E. has given themselves the literal authority to deport whoever they want without a shred of due process- and these vaunted institutions have responded either with a shrug or by legally validating I.C.E.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Sep 15, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure it didn't help that they'd just spent eight years seeing Obama accomplish squat except wars and a health insurance company handout and convinced themselves it was just too drat hard to actually change anything in America.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Is it just me and a coincidence regarding when news have been breaking out or did ICE agents get noticeably worse after that anarchist guy attacked them?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

god i want pepeism to completely infiltrate mainstream christianity so loving bad now . give me the pope in 2023 praising kek. masks off let's loving go

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This poo poo's getting so weird. I occasionally look at the chan poo poo holes just to see what's happening with the crazies. Recently I saw that cuckold thing the black spade image with Q's all over it and thought, well that's loving weird.
I mean I think what they're trying to do is link concepts that are otherwise unrelated together, just by mashing the symbolic representations together. In Prester's image I think they're trying to link Christian salvation and Q. It's not dissimilar to fox news trying to link something like measles outbreaks to immigrants (instead of rich white people).

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

uncop posted:

Is it just me and a coincidence regarding when news have been breaking out or did ICE agents get noticeably worse after that anarchist guy attacked them?

I don't think it's just you, they have gotten noticeably worse. (Much more aggressive.)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I've decided to dip my toes back into the Twitter game, and have created a new Twitter account. Would definitely love some more followers: https://twitter.com/JanePrester/status/1173261022422949889?s=19

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

uncop posted:

Bullies get scared when anyone fights back against them, even nonviolently. They take it out on the victims. They get a bit worse every time they see someone not immediately worship them for their ~service~.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

T-man posted:

Bullies get scared when anyone fights back against them, even nonviolently. They take it out on the victims. They get a bit worse every time they see someone not immediately worship them for their ~service~.

I was in a small pizza place the other day and some boomer was yelling at a kid because his pizza was 15 minutes late while the kid was trying to help some other customer at the register. There were a few other people awkwardly standing around watching this ridiculous scene; I've never seen someone be this loud of an rear end in a top hat in public. I told the guy he was a loving chump for verbally beating up a kid at work, asked him what the gently caress was wrong with him and then when he didn't respond asked him if he felt like a Big Man now? Of course the coward didn't say poo poo. The kid was crying outside when I left, I felt so bad for him. Man I hate people

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure it didn't help that they'd just spent eight years seeing Obama accomplish squat except wars and a health insurance company handout and convinced themselves it was just too drat hard to actually change anything in America.

It seems like a huge portion of the left had deeply internalized the idea that the primary reason the progressive agenda wasn't being implemented during Obama's term was because it was so hard to change a bureaucracy as big and efficient as ours.

As it turns out: the real reason a progressive agenda has it been implemented is because the billionaires who own Democratic Leadership don't want one implemented.

The more I learn about President Obama's domestic agenda, the more I realize that he was just an extremely charismatic spokesperson for the billionaire class. He told the public what the Billionaire's wanted the public to hear, whenever the Billionaire's felt the public needed to hear it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Life seems to be a constant series of realizations that you have been tricked or lied to about something.

I hate that.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

It seems like a huge portion of the left had deeply internalized the idea that the primary reason the progressive agenda wasn't being implemented during Obama's term was because it was so hard to change a bureaucracy as big and efficient as ours.

It hasn't looked to me like the Trump regime has so much been effective at changing the bureaucracy as it's been able to uncover and utilize the powers already granted to the US president and appeal to and set the bureaucracy free to do what it wants through the implicit promise to shield them from repercussions breaking certain laws could have. So even though you're right about Obama, there is a much higher bar to pass to be able to do left wing reform.

Cactus posted:

Life seems to be a constant series of realizations that you have been tricked or lied to about something.

I hate that.

Tell me about it, the realization I probably hate most is how rule of law is more of a nice story about how some countries have the right and responsibility to dominate others than an actual thing. I mean don't get me wrong, there are differences in degree between countries to how much powerful people and bureaucrats have to follow the law, but they're just degrees and also pretty flexible.

uncop has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Sep 15, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder just even in a best-case scenario left-wing government, so many fundamentally racist and fascist institutions are going to have to be completely dismantled, and quite possibly disarmed by force.

And the institutional support for them might well mean it will become necessary to label them as terrorist groups.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Purges: Definitely a thing that's gone very well in the past.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Purges: Definitely a thing that's gone very well in the past.

Dismantling institutions and purging their membership are two very different things.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

uncop posted:

Dismantling institutions and purging their membership are two very different things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

uncop posted:

In theory yes, but actually no.

Disband ICE and even if as few as 10% of them were "bad apples" spoiling the bunch, that 10% still exists. They will need new jobs, and they'll look for jobs that give them power over vulnerable people. Or they are angry and unemployed, but still dangerous and joining whatever association of angry men will have them.

Eventually the "good guys" will come to the inevitable conclusion that the only option is to lance the boil and remove the poison. Which, at best, involves sending them to re-education camps or gulags. At which point the bad apples who managed to lie low join the staff of the new camps and continue their previous abusive habits. Everybody will be vaguely aware of this, but at least the guys who are being abused really deserve it this time, right?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The thing about ICE/CBP/DHS guys is they're probably not making a lot of money, definitely not more than they could get as like a security guard or even a regular job where they're not pointing a gun at people. They do it because they want to, even the "good" ones.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ScrubLeague posted:

The thing about ICE/CBP/DHS guys is they're probably not making a lot of money, definitely not more than they could get as like a security guard or even a regular job where they're not pointing a gun at people. They do it because they want to, even the "good" ones.

But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.

but enough about shenji :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Disband ICE and even if as few as 10% of them were "bad apples" spoiling the bunch, that 10% still exists. They will need new jobs, and they'll look for jobs that give them power over vulnerable people. Or they are angry and unemployed, but still dangerous and joining whatever association of angry men will have them.

Eventually the "good guys" will come to the inevitable conclusion that the only option is to lance the boil and remove the poison. Which, at best, involves sending them to re-education camps or gulags. At which point the bad apples who managed to lie low join the staff of the new camps and continue their previous abusive habits. Everybody will be vaguely aware of this, but at least the guys who are being abused really deserve it this time, right?

Empty the prisons, make them take turns guarding each other. Give them different coloured uniforms and they'll probably all kill each other for us. (I think this is how Team Fortress got started)

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

you're just doing some overabstracted thought experiment? counterpoint: states blacklist people from positions all the time due to perceived likelihood of disloyalty, yet they don't become unemployable. and the burning issue in our case isn't being given power over others, it's being raised above the law to be able to act with impunity, which rent-a-cops and schoolteachers aren't.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/cspamus1/status/1177033555282554880?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How long has this fake piss tape been out there? I must be getting old to have not heard about it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How long has this fake piss tape been out there? I must be getting old to have not heard about it.

8 months

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1178...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/willcarless/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's hard to say given a shitload of fascist wannabes talk a big game but will scatter immediately at the slightest actual pushback. Fascists don't do martyrs, because violence and domination are key to their whole thing.

Of course, actually doing the pushback when fascists are protected by the authorities at every juncture is the hard part.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1178580499708698624

My main worry now is what form the organized violence is going to take, and who they're going to take it out on. This isn't going to end up being some staged conflict like what the Patriot Prayer fuckwits do in Portland.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This article is now almost a decade old:

quote:

Is America 'Yearning for Fascism'?

The language of violence always presages violence. I watched it in war after war from Latin America to the Balkans. The impoverishment of a working class and the snuffing out of hope and opportunity always produce angry mobs ready to kill and be killed. A bankrupt, liberal elite, which proves ineffectual against the rich and the criminal, always gets swept aside, in times of economic collapse, before thugs and demagogues emerge to play to the passions of the crowd. I have seen this drama. I know each act. I know how it ends. I have heard it in other tongues in other lands. I recognize the same stock characters, the buffoons, charlatans and fools, the same confused crowds and the same impotent and despised liberal class that deserves the hatred it engenders.

“We are ruled not by two parties but one party,” Cynthia McKinney, who ran for president on the Green Party ticket, told me. “It is the party of money and war. Our country has been hijacked. And we have to take the country away from those who have hijacked it. The only question now is whose revolution gets funded.”

The Democrats and their liberal apologists are so oblivious to the profound personal and economic despair sweeping through this country that they think offering unemployed people the right to keep their unemployed children on their nonexistent health care policies is a step forward. They think that passing a jobs bill that will give tax credits to corporations is a rational response to an unemployment rate that is, in real terms, close to 20 percent. They think that making ordinary Americans, one in eight of whom depends on food stamps to eat, fork over trillions in taxpayer dollars to pay for the crimes of Wall Street and war is acceptable. They think that the refusal to save the estimated 2.4 million people who will be forced out of their homes by foreclosure this year is justified by the bloodless language of fiscal austerity. The message is clear. Laws do not apply to the power elite. Our government does not work. And the longer we stand by and do nothing, the longer we refuse to embrace and recognize the legitimate rage of the working class, the faster we will see our anemic democracy die.

The unraveling of America mirrors the unraveling of Yugoslavia. The Balkan war was not caused by ancient ethnic hatreds. It was caused by the economic collapse of Yugoslavia. The petty criminals and goons who took power harnessed the anger and despair of the unemployed and the desperate. They singled out convenient scapegoats from ethnic Croats to Muslims to Albanians to Gypsies. They set in motion movements that unleashed a feeding frenzy leading to war and self-immolation. There is little difference between the ludicrous would-be poet Radovan Karadzic, who was a figure of ridicule in Sarajevo before the war, and the moronic Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin. There is little difference between the Oath Keepers and the Serbian militias. We can laugh at these people, but they are not the fools. We are.

The longer we appeal to the Democrats, who are servants of corporate interests, the more stupid and ineffectual we become. Sixty-one percent of Americans believe the country is in decline, according to a recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, and they are right. Only 25 percent of those polled said the government can be trusted to protect the interests of the American people. If we do not embrace this outrage and distrust as our own it will be expressed through a terrifying right-wing backlash.

“It is time for us to stop talking about right and left,” McKinney told me. “The old political paradigm that serves the interests of the people who put us in this predicament will not be the paradigm that gets us out of this. I am a child of the South. Janet Napolitano tells me I need to be afraid of people who are labeled white supremacists but I was raised around white supremacists. I am not afraid of white supremacists. I am concerned about my own government. The Patriot Act did not come from the white supremacists, it came from the White House and Congress. Citizens United did not come from white supremacists, it came from the Supreme Court. Our problem is a problem of governance. I am willing to reach across traditional barriers that have been skillfully constructed by people who benefit from the way the system is organized.”

We are bound to a party that has betrayed every principle we claim to espouse, from universal health care to an end to our permanent war economy, to a demand for quality and affordable public education, to a concern for the jobs of the working class. And the hatred expressed within right-wing movements for the college-educated elite, who created or at least did nothing to halt the financial debacle, is not misplaced. Our educated elite, wallowing in self-righteousness, wasted its time in the boutique activism of political correctness as tens of millions of workers lost their jobs. The shouting of racist and bigoted words at black and gay members of Congress, the spitting on a black member of the House, the tossing of bricks through the windows of legislators’ offices, are part of the language of rebellion. It is as much a revolt against the educated elite as it is against the government. The blame lies with us. We created the monster. When someone like Palin posts a map with cross hairs on the districts of Democrats, when she says “Don’t Retreat, Instead — RELOAD!” there are desperate people cleaning their weapons who listen. When Christian fascists stand in the pulpits of megachurches and denounce Barack Obama as the Antichrist, there are messianic believers who listen. When a Republican lawmaker shouts “baby killer” at Michigan Democrat Bart Stupak, there are violent extremists who see the mission of saving the unborn as a sacred duty. They have little left to lose. We made sure of that. And the violence they inflict is an expression of the violence they endure.

These movements are not yet full-blown fascist movements. They do not openly call for the extermination of ethnic or religious groups. They do not openly advocate violence. But, as I was told by Fritz Stern, a scholar of fascism who has written about the origins of Nazism, “In Germany there was a yearning for fascism before fascism was invented.” It is the yearning that we now see, and it is dangerous. If we do not immediately reincorporate the unemployed and the poor back into the economy, giving them jobs and relief from crippling debt, then the nascent racism and violence that are leaping up around the edges of American society will become a full-blown conflagration.

Left unchecked, the hatred for radical Islam will transform itself into a hatred for Muslims. The hatred for undocumented workers will become a hatred for Mexicans and Central Americans. The hatred for those not defined by this largely white movement as American patriots will become a hatred for African-Americans. The hatred for liberals will morph into a hatred for all democratic institutions, from universities to government agencies to the press. Our continued impotence and cowardice, our refusal to articulate this anger and stand up in open defiance to the Democrats and the Republicans, will see us swept aside for an age of terror and blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chris Hedges has always been on point about centrism/neoliberalism enabling fascism like nothing else does