Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bombadilillo posted:

I do it as ethically as possible.

does that mean that you make a profit, or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
yeah if there's profit you're a piece of poo poo, even I knew that when I asked the original question

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

where is the line between having a roommate in the house you own and becoming a landlord

there isnt one. the only situation in which this is moral is you're the guy on the lease and you have a roommate, because at least out here the roommate has all the same protections as the primary tenant

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

I have a condo that I rented to friends at a loss, and as of next month will be renting to a resettling refugee at a greater loss, and I doubt I’m the only person to do so. I’ve never made a profit on it, and likely never will. you don’t instantly become evil as soon as the ink dries on a second property’s title, I was pleased to discover.

You're running a charitable enterprise that intentionally doesn't make money. This has no relevance at all to a normal discussion of landlords/rents you idiot.

e: I mean good on you for doing it, but you came off as pulling some #NotAllLandlords thing and it stank.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also yeah that's just bad political understanding my dude. land operated for profit is unethical. your private property you are attempting to use charitably is completely different, up until its generating a profit

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

You're running a charitable enterprise that intentionally doesn't make money. This has no relevance at all to a normal discussion of landlords/rents you idiot.

Nah, it was worth untangling because in this wonderful world of broke brain capitalists you often see the claim that a landlord is "good" (ethical) because they're only charging their renters the cost of the mortgage (lol)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chomp8645 posted:

I responded specifically to “never”, and never claimed that it was the norm. it has been fun talking to other landlords about why they do choose to profit off of scarcity of housing, though, especially after a couple of drinks. if I can do it, others can do it, or at least break even (and “only” have a possibly-appreciating asset, as mentioned above). “I own this property so I have to charge market rent” is bullshit that’s too easily accepted, and I enjoy the chance to tilt at it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Subjunctive posted:

does that mean that you make a profit, or not?

Not month to month. But I dont know if I will retire there or sell eventually. There will be profit then.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The only thing more unethical than being a landlord is giving your money to a landlord

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The only thing more unethical than being a landlord is giving your money to a landlord

:chloe:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bombadilillo posted:

Not month to month. But I dont know if I will retire there or sell eventually. There will be profit then.

and you aren’t counting the mortgage as a :airquote:cost:airquote: to offset with rent, right? glad to hear it :iia:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

and you aren’t counting the mortgage as a :airquote:cost:airquote: to offset with rent, right? glad to hear it :iia:

Rent prices here are insanely higher than mortgage. For example my house equivalents rent for 2400. My mortgage is 1500 and so is the rent.

Judge my ethics goons.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Rent prices here are insanely higher than mortgage. For example my house equivalents rent for 2400. My mortgage is 1500 and so is the rent.

Judge my ethics goons.

So you're stealing 1500 dollars a month from someone and pretending you're giving 900 dollars a month to charity?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

So you're stealing 1500 dollars a month from someone and pretending you're giving 900 dollars a month to charity?

Lol.

Should just up it to market value. Unethical already so gently caress it.

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Sep 15, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s nice of you to let someone else buy you a property rather than be homeless, I suppose

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol.

Should just up it to market value. Unethical already so gently caress it.

the point is that you should not have more than 1 residence, dude. nobody should.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
itt a bunch of goons spin themselves in circles trying to determine whether there is ethical consumption under capitalism (no)

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

landlords can ethically suck my dick into their mouths

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Feral Integral posted:

landlords can ethically suck my dick into their mouths

Have we finally found the only ethical consumption under capitalism?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The only ethical thing to do would be to turn your house into a commune/flop house and pack as many people as you can into it so the shared equal and even bills everyone pays drop to under a hundred dollars. Also run a soup kitchen out of your garage.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

Please now discuss the idea that all rent is unethical with regard to the concept of owner-occupancy and imputed rent.

No one has engaged with my prompt, so I wanted to expand on this.

If you say extracting rent is exploitative - which I would agree with - you should also consider that ownership of a residence yields a dividend you extract in the form of virtual profit when you choose to live in it (or lend it to your family or friends).

We all require shelter, and our economic system demands we pay money for it. Under a system where you have to engage in the wage labour system to satisfy your need for shelter, but instead own a home, you get to pot out of that particular portion of the economy. Just because you don't exploit an individual by demanding rent doesn't mean you don't enjoy the privilege of ownership under a system of private property.

You might object that a home is "personal" not "private" property, but in so far as it negates your need to engage in the wage system it pays you a profit you extract divided amongst everyone else who doesn't own their means of shelter. In this sense, a privately-owned home represents a form of means of production that produces profit in the form of shelter whose use value is greater than the resources required to maintain it.

In other words:

crazy cloud posted:

itt a bunch of goons spin themselves in circles trying to determine whether there is ethical consumption under capitalism (no)

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
lol @ guy patting himself on the back for personally subsidizing his equity accrual. Acting like by contributing to his own investment he's selling it for what he owes on it or something. Self-brainwashed altruistic capital.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
"But I'm one of the good ones! I could be charging so much more for rent!"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Renting a second property makes you petit bourgeois, posting about it here is just inviting confusion with the actual bourgeois and seems low-key antagonistic, but I don't own property so what do I know

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1173298823034232834

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yes, we all know that we live in a society and there's no ethical consumption etc etc but that doesn't allow you to wallow in the most naked exploitative greed that capitalism can give you. Case in point:

Bombadilillo posted:

Judge my ethics goons.

Congrats on being a parasite :thermidor:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PhilippAchtel posted:

You might object that a home is "personal" not "private" property, but in so far as it negates your need to engage in the wage system it pays you a profit you extract divided amongst everyone else who doesn't own their means of shelter. In this sense, a privately-owned home represents a form of means of production that produces profit in the form of shelter whose use value is greater than the resources required to maintain it.

it’s not unheard-of for income to be imputed in determining spousal or child support when one party owns their home and the other doesn’t, so this framing isn’t totally foreign to law

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Asimov posted:

I imagine at some point spending your time cooking starts to seem inefficient from a cost/benefit perspective. If you make hundreds of dollars an hour, why spend 1 hour of your time to try and save a few bucks by poaching chicken and cleaning the kitchen when you can get Whole Foods hot bar, or delivery or something. Especially if your cooking skills aren't good to begin with, and you value your 1 additional hour of leisure time more than you'd save making a meal. I suppose you might as well hire a servant to cook and clean for you at that point, I'm sure there's room in the budget somewhere for, uh, misc. services?

I have no idea, gonna eat some frozen soup I made over the weekend for lunch tomorrow.

I agree who has time to cook when you spend hours every week at old navy?

Although it is suspect that there aren't lines for housekeeping or lawn care in that budget. No loving way in hell that people who refuse to do their own cooking are mowing their lawn or scrubbing their own toilets.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rarity posted:

Yes, we all know that we live in a society and there's no ethical consumption etc etc but that doesn't allow you to wallow in the most naked exploitative greed that capitalism can give you.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. It's not like Sonic the Hedgehog's gives you license to go full boug, but I think it helps people remember that the problem ultimately is systemic, not with one "parasite" landlord or another.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I responded specifically to “never”, and never claimed that it was the norm. it has been fun talking to other landlords about why they do choose to profit off of scarcity of housing, though, especially after a couple of drinks. if I can do it, others can do it, or at least break even (and “only” have a possibly-appreciating asset, as mentioned above). “I own this property so I have to charge market rent” is bullshit that’s too easily accepted, and I enjoy the chance to tilt at it.

Must be fun to hear them whine about the rent control prop in CA, no?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Must be fun to hear them whine about the rent control prop in CA, no?

I don’t live there any more, but I imagine so, yes. we already have (some) rent control here, so it’s baked in to the Landlord’s Burden.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

If there weren't pensions, those employees would have been paid more while they were working.

This got lost in the Mao chat, but [citation needed]

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

T-man posted:

This got lost in the Mao chat, but [citation needed]

The origin of the pensions is in compensation negotiations between labor and management. You demand X, but what if we paid you Y + an annual Z later?

A pension is agreed compensation, by both parties. Removing a pension is a reduction in compensation. The alternate to the pension was more up front pay.

We're talking about the past, of course. Removing pension and benefits are of course thinly veiled pay cuts taking advantage of weakened labor.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
lol what compels these villains to come here and justify their crimes?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Continuity RCP posted:

lol what compels these villains to come here and justify their crimes?

capitalism has broken their brains so bad that they think they're good people

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nobody is a good person in this system unless you're like, a developing nation poor person in which case why did you spend your life savings on an account and also I'm sorry for being a bad person

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the point is that you should not have more than 1 residence, dude. nobody should.

I think there are reasons why you might need more, like having a condo close to your job to avoid a commute, or having a small lakehouse for instance

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
or maybe just one apartment complex for the passive income

feller
Jul 5, 2006

T-man posted:

Nobody is a good person in this system unless you're like, a developing nation poor person in which case why did you spend your life savings on an account and also I'm sorry for being a bad person

white t-man's burden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
we're all evil motherfuckers for living in america, the maoist third worldists were right