Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Fixed that for you.

The leadup to Final Steps of Faith has you slowly walking towards the final confrontation with Nidhogg while Dragonsong plays in the background, it's the real dramatic climax to the HW/Dragonsong War story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess most people in a spoiler-OK context just call it Nidhogg or Nidhogg EX though, as people usually refer to trials by the name of the boss.

Final Steps of Faith only gets referred to by it's full name when among people who haven't run it yet because it's a major plot beat and the climax of the HW patch cycle story

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

ive just heard the news. turns out this game is dumb anime bullshit. im sorry you all had to find out like this

:negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just apply the classic goon logic to continue enjoying it.

I like it - therefore it can't be anime.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

just spent two hours doing Coils of Bahamut with a group of friends + randos from party finder and I learned that holy poo poo, I hate hate hate hate hate doing focused high-level raid-type stuff. We didn't clear twintania due to several DPSes leaving after several tries and I can't do that again, my stress levels are up and no, nope, not for me. Gonna ask a level 80 friend to finish Coils for me. And the extreme primals because ahahahaha no thank you.

I like doing mechanics in dungeons and such but that was way too much for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

StrixNebulosa posted:

just spent two hours doing Coils of Bahamut with a group of friends + randos from party finder and I learned that holy poo poo, I hate hate hate hate hate doing focused high-level raid-type stuff. We didn't clear twintania due to several DPSes leaving after several tries and I can't do that again, my stress levels are up and no, nope, not for me. Gonna ask a level 80 friend to finish Coils for me. And the extreme primals because ahahahaha no thank you.

In a raid environment you generally do this stuff with a group of regulars over periods of weeks. It takes time to learn and internalize mechanics, to practice them.

If you're trying to slam it out synced with randos in one sitting it's gonna be stressful. Especially Twintania since she's an end-of-raid-cycle boss.

Still not for everyone though, for sure. That said, I would say you shouldn't write off EX Primals necessarily. EX Primals are nowhere near Savage raiding levels of challenge. And Binding Coil is functionally Savage difficulty since it was from before the Story/Savage split existed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd recommend giving it another try in Shadowbringers because the fight design has improved a ton in the past 6 years. If you still hate it then, then no need to try a third time

Veotax
May 16, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

The later 8-Man raids are designed to be done with randos through the Duty Finder, so don't let this put you off doing the expansion raids.

Coils is just weird and badly designed.

"We're making a high-end raid series for serious raiders, let's fill it full of mid-dungeon cutscenes!"

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you perhaps considered buying a PS4 and FFXIV for your dad, secretly befriending him in game without telling him who you are in order to find out why he suddenly quit his job, and then going on a series of magical adventures where his persistence motivates you and your friends to step it up to the next level, all while applying the lessons you learn in game to problems at your office job?

That's gotten at least one group past Twintania.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Coil is a bad barometer for judging your interest in high-level content in this game. It’s ancient and obtuse and nobody knows how to do the fights anymore

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Leal posted:

Back in my day we accepted a quest, walked 10 feet, talked to an npc, completed the quest, talked to that npc again and accepted another quest, then returned to the first npc and talked to them to complete a quest AND WE TOLERATED IT!!

We used to have to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before the servers went down, accept a quest from a quest-giver with no marker, kill 50 bears to collect 6 bear asses AND pay the quest-giver for permission to take the quest and when it was done, the GM would kill us and dance on our corpse, singin' Hallelujah!

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can respect your desire to see all the content out there and play it in the manner it was released, but trying endgame progression raiding years after it was relevant without a dedicated crew is a recipe for frustration.

As others have said though, the visual language for mechanics was pretty garbage and has improved leaps and bounds over the years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong I’m saying don’t say those of us who hate the padding can’t complain about it.

Good thing no one was doing that and everyone was responding to the person saying "They should put all the side content trials and dungeons into the MSQ" and saying "Yes that'll definitely make it feel not padded at all"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Job overhauls over the years also mean that even if you do it synced the experience is essentially never going to be remotely the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Job overhauls over the years also mean that even if you do it synced the experience is essentially never going to be remotely the same.

No trial in the MSQ will ever be as hard as doing Garuda Story MOde with a full party in barely at level gear with the lovely rotations of the 2.0 versions of the classes.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heads up for T9(Second Coil - Turn 4) you're still going to want a group of 8 people because one of mechanics needs you to spread out meteors, and if you don't have enough targets the boss will just throw them all at the same person and then wipe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Padding can also be known as "pacing" when you're experiencing an expansion as a standalone story every two years instead of doing four of them back to back

This isn't trying to say that the feeling that its padded is wrong--the current level 1-80 msq is absolutely bloated and padded. But things like slowly taking the time to get to know the Mol makes a lot more sense when you're getting the story piecemeal. It's one of those situations where all the decisions individually make sense but add up to a whole that is less than the sum of its parts--because it was originally designed to be experienced as a sum, not a whole

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everybody unsyncs Coil these days and anyone who tells you to sync it is trying to gently caress with you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can't do coil for real even if you wanted to because all the fights got nerfed into the ground and also every attack has 40 extra potency

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
It absolutely is a pacing problem. I'm a new player and just passed Ifrit in the msq. After running around with the sylphs, we learn they're getting kidnapped, the elder is missing, hey cool something is happening is this the next primal?

No! I get sent to a bar, fill up water in a river, pour water on a guy, deliver a pair of earrings and fill another bucket with water. I'm sure I'm not done with the random bullshit before we rejoin the story.

If any of this busywork had any urgency, or even a slim connection to the actual plot, OR if it introduced some cool mechanics and activities, it wouldn't feel as bad and as forced, which is why I can see the arguments for calling it useless padding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah ARR absolutely has issues even taken individually. I was responding to the original complaint about a Stormblood sequence where the pacing is a lot better

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nobody is disagreeing with that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do like the Azim Steppe a lot and it wouldn't work half as well if you weren't kind of chilling out with these unassuming shepherds, and then getting to know all the other tribes they're going to be competing with as underdogs in the big regional game coming up

and then you and your crew lead them to victory and it's great

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

threelemmings posted:

It absolutely is a pacing problem. I'm a new player and just passed Ifrit in the msq. After running around with the sylphs, we learn they're getting kidnapped, the elder is missing, hey cool something is happening is this the next primal?

No! I get sent to a bar, fill up water in a river, pour water on a guy, deliver a pair of earrings and fill another bucket with water. I'm sure I'm not done with the random bullshit before we rejoin the story.

If any of this busywork had any urgency, or even a slim connection to the actual plot, OR if it introduced some cool mechanics and activities, it wouldn't feel as bad and as forced, which is why I can see the arguments for calling it useless padding.

Nobody's arguing that ARR's pacing isn't hosed, we've all been there.

It's when someone starts saying the writing in HW and Dragonsong is also bad that people do a spittake

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Has anyone else been having problems with ACT and Windows Firewall on Windows 7? It’s weird - I’ve added exceptions for both ACT executables, for both types of networks. And yet the game connection test throws a firewall error. And the error goes away when I disable Windows Firewall, so it can’t be another program loving things up. (I am running BitDefender, but disabling it makes no difference.) Does anyone have any ideas?

e: Oh, and I’m running ACT as admin. And I’m installing it for the first time, so it’s not like it used to be working but stopped.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 15, 2019

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Just heard the new raid music. I appreciate the vote of confidence from the devs who think I can do boss mechanics while crying.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OK, I don’t know what the gently caress, but uninstalling and reinstalling and renaming the executable and renaming it back when that broke it and manually removing and readding the exception seems to have worked somehow? I guess I’ll just try not to think too hard about it...

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Like other people said, don't let this put you off doing other things later on. Coil is the only endgame raid without a story-mode, it took us weeks to clear Twintania when it was new, a synced party finder group actually did really good to even get to her.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What's the best way to craft HQ stuff? I got all of the DOH jobs to 50 by just occasionally doing the daily GC turn-ins, levequests, and doing the job quests now and again. But I never really paid attention to the zillion skills available. Then someone in my FC powerleveled my weaver to over 70, so I have even more things I can do. But there are so many skills and then the ones coming from the other classes that I have no idea where to start, my hotbars are just crammed to the gills with like 3 versions of every skill imaginable. Is there a site or something where I can plug in what level I am and figure out which skills to use?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nipponophile posted:

Have you perhaps considered buying a PS4 and FFXIV for your dad, secretly befriending him in game without telling him who you are in order to find out why he suddenly quit his job, and then going on a series of magical adventures where his persistence motivates you and your friends to step it up to the next level, all while applying the lessons you learn in game to problems at your office job?

That's gotten at least one group past Twintania.

This might work, except that I already know why my dad quit his job: to retire so he could spend more time playing pipe organ. And the last (and only) video game he's ever played was Leisure Suit Larry back when it first came out.

So I think I'll have to try something else :v:

(seriously tho thank you - I'll get through Coils unsynced + as many people as needed for the second or whatever, and I might try high level raiding again in the future. but NOT today, I'm still coming off of that stress high. ffxiv is supposed to be my chill game, I don't like getting stress from it :( )

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might work, except that I already know why my dad quit his job: to retire so he could spend more time playing pipe organ. And the last (and only) video game he's ever played was Leisure Suit Larry back when it first came out.

So I think I'll have to try something else :v:

FF14 has it's own netflix series called Dad of Light. If you're in the mood for some chill lighthearted cutesy drama, it'll explain the joke better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

What's the best way to craft HQ stuff? I got all of the DOH jobs to 50 by just occasionally doing the daily GC turn-ins, levequests, and doing the job quests now and again. But I never really paid attention to the zillion skills available. Then someone in my FC powerleveled my weaver to over 70, so I have even more things I can do. But there are so many skills and then the ones coming from the other classes that I have no idea where to start, my hotbars are just crammed to the gills with like 3 versions of every skill imaginable. Is there a site or something where I can plug in what level I am and figure out which skills to use?

There are a lot of different crafting simulators out there, and they're all pretty much the same, but I suggest using https://ffxivteamcraft.com/ for all its other useful functions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Avynte posted:

FF14 has it's own netflix series called Dad of Light. If you're in the mood for some chill lighthearted cutesy drama, it'll explain the joke better.

is that series as cringy as my imagination is telling me it is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No, it's delightful.

It's a series about a son reconnecting with his elderly father via playing the MMO together. The FF stuff is fun if you're a fan but it's mostly just a story about a kid and his dad.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's sheepishly cute, watch at least the first episode to get an idea of the tone.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Verranicus posted:

me, mainlining 6 years worth of content in 2 months: actually game bad

Hey this is what I'm doing and it's real good!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

'kay I'll give it a look; i'm fine with saccharine, it's annoying cultural referencing RP1 style that drives me bonkers

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

In regards to complaints about MSQ padding, there is definitely quite a bit of it especially earlier on in the game. That’s not a controversial opinion among anyone, including the devs. But at a certain point it’s like well, this is still an MMO after all, what are you really expecting? If HW still has too much padding for someone’s taste then I don’t think they’re going to like the rest of the game much better. But yeah, mainlining the entire game all at once is going to be a vastly different experience than playing the MSQ when it comes out. A fetch quest isn’t that big of a deal when you do it once every 3-4 months.

Adding all the optional dungeons and trials to the MSQ sounds like a really bad idea that would add a ton of extra time just from queuing. But I like the suggestion someone had about adding an NPC that can point you in the right direction for cool optional stuff because some of them are pretty easy to miss.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

No I watched it before ever playing the game. My wife liked it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

In regards to complaints about MSQ padding, there is definitely quite a bit of it especially earlier on in the game. That’s not a controversial opinion among anyone, including the devs. But at a certain point it’s like well, this is still an MMO after all, what are you really expecting? If HW still has too much padding for someone’s taste then I don’t think they’re going to like the rest of the game much better. But yeah, mainlining the entire game all at once is going to be a vastly different experience than playing the MSQ when it comes out. A fetch quest isn’t that big of a deal when you do it once every 3-4 months.

Adding all the optional dungeons and trials to the MSQ sounds like a really bad idea that would add a ton of extra time just from queuing. But I like the suggestion someone had about adding an NPC that can point you in the right direction for cool optional stuff because some of them are pretty easy to miss.

I look at the substance of some of the arguments and like, up to a point yes they do improve the content over the years, but the majority of MSQ content is running around and interacting with NPCs/objects in the game world, plus watching cutscenes and reading dialogue. The quality of the latter increases, and the former is less padded out (you don't get quests like /dance with X sylphs generally in later content), but fundamentally the actual interactive experience of the much-lauded Shadowbringers is not significantly different than the early stuff.

I don't expect that's going to change much, they're not going to make the MSQ a trial/dungeon/solo-instance gauntlet with a few cutscenes sprinkled in. I do enjoy this kind of stuff, but for example, earlier a poster was complaining about the Azim Steppe quests--which are generally held in high regard around here. It's clear there's a disconnect between what some people expect and what others enjoy. Dunno precisely how to diagnose it, but ultimately I can just say game isn't for everyone but I've been subbed since ARR launched so obviously I'm sold.