Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

probably expects the gfm warchest to cover it after all it's $240k~ a lawsuit can't cost that much
$240k?

Jesus poo poo. That's a grift and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Iirc , The GFM will almost certainly be considered during Sanctions if it's determined to be SLAPP since it's one of the reasons why he's able to pursue the lawsuit.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

Iirc , The GFM will almost certainly be considered during Sanctions if it's determined to be SLAPP since it's one of the reasons why he's able to pursue the lawsuit.
yeah there was talk of it being used as a basis for damages on top of the sanctions. naturally there isn't much precedent for a crowdfunded warchest to file frivolous lawsuits intended to harass sexual assault victims...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Beard has almost certainly blown through the majority of the GoFundMe at this point (there were apparently four lawyers at his table during the hearing), and even the GoFundMe's existence will likely be taken into account for sanctions. Vic may end up paying more out of pocket than he would have without a GoFundMe backing him.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 15, 2019

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Pretty sure he said that GFM is gone by this point. Gotta fleece while the fleecing is good.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

divabot posted:

So what's the split on attorney fees like? All Vic, some Vic some Ty? How does this work in Texas?

I'm thinking of one Florida case where the judge emphasised that the defendant was a massive liar and was gonna pay the other side's fees personally, but his attorneys had been nothing but professional. (Bitcoin nonsense with Craig Wright, who is not Satoshi Nakamoto. My blog post on the ruling. The ruling itself is a great read.)

For the (what was it, 9 or 12?) counts that were dismissed (so far) Vic is on the hook for all lawyer fees that pertained to those suits. If the rest of the counts are also dismissed Vic will be paying for those too, as under Texas law if you are the plaintiff and lose to a SLAPP filing you get stuck with the attorney fees.

There are also sanctions that the judge can apply as a penalty for bringing the frivolous suit. A lot of people have said that sanctions are supposed to be applied to deter the plaintiff from trying to file another such suit. So in theory the judge could order whatever the total of the GFM is to the defendants on top of the attorney fees. And Vic's own lawyer has undoubtedly already billed that GFM dry at this point. So Vic could be paying a whole lot of money.

I think sanctions are at the discretion of the judge so if he's feeling kind to Vic it will just be the defendants attorney's fees Vic will have to pay.

Edit: Thanks for the bitcoin links, I'm always down to read about some bitcoin fuckery.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hasn't Mignogna been a no-show on anything court-related so far since he's in a podunk town appearing at a mall or something?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Hasn't Mignogna been a no-show on anything court-related so far since he's in a podunk town appearing at a mall or something?

Yup. I'm wondering how the phone call between him and his lawyer went after that last hearing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Considering how little his lawyer is willing to tall with Vic about the case (he didn't even know how much they were suing for during his deposition), I wouldn't even be surprised if nobody disclosed to him how much this could potentially cost him if he loses his claims. I have to wonder if anybody has broken the news to him yet...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mallratcal posted:

Yup. I'm wondering how the phone call between him and his lawyer went after that last hearing.

He probably treats his lawyers like poo poo. Apparently he treats everyone else like poo poo so IDK why they would be any different. I doubt they called him. Besides there's not _really_ a reason for him to show up, ultimately. It's just a hearing, he couldn't testify.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also from what I remember hearing, Vic's got a gently caress load of money thanks to his rich mother, so sadly any damages will probably amount to a slap on the wrist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

So you can appeal any ruling. Appeals, however, must reference errors in law (not errors in fact). Basically you have to prove that the judge misapplied a law or precedent inside of the case. You can't bring new evidence, or change evidence, or simply argue that you don't agree with a finding of fact (i.e. you can't just disagree with if they believe a witness or not).

"With prejudice" just means that the dismissal is on the merits of the case. A Judge can dismiss due to some procedural thing or another "without prejudice" which means the plaintiff is welcome to present the case to the court again with procedural errors repaired.

It's interesting (and typical) this is not the story Nick spins to the faithful. He makes it sound like you just go to higher judge for a do-over.

What makes this whole thing so maddening is it's very hard to determine how much of this stuff Nick spews is him just telling tales to keep in good graces of ISWV, ComicsGate and assorted morons and the other just being really bad at being a lawyer. Like somebody once said, even the worst lawyer who graduated law school is still a lawyer.

More fun with "Ty holds Nick's financial leash!"

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1172624066756235265

The case for conflict of interest would seem to grow larger by the day.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 15, 2019

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
By far my favorite part from reading Part 2 of @questauthority's thread

https://twitter.com/TheTopHat21/status/1172992939020230656

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also from what I remember hearing, Vic's got a gently caress load of money thanks to his rich mother, so sadly any damages will probably amount to a slap on the wrist.

sure but if he has to give up the go fund me funds and all his stans have their money taken by the evil :females: then that would be delicious.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1173053174845980672?s=19

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Elfgames posted:

sure but if he has to give up the go fund me funds and all his stans have their money taken by the evil :females: then that would be delicious.

I'm really hoping that this happens, maybe that will finally get them to wise up and realize that they have been lied to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mallratcal posted:

I'm really hoping that this happens, maybe that will finally get them to wise up and realize that they have been lied to.

If they have gotten *this far* and haven't realized they're being lied to, they won't ever.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If they have gotten *this far* and haven't realized they're being lied to, they won't ever.

It's also probably easier to live in denial than admitting they have been taken advantage of.

It would just be hilarious if they turned on Ty and Nick.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Real Vic Heads, the Risembool Rangers, they’ll turn on Beard and Rekieta when it becomes obvious. The cynical gamergate assholes? They’re just in it as an excuse to hurt and harass women. Oh well it was a good run, time to move on. Oh, would you happen to know, it’s open season on Zoe Quinn again.

The latter will quietly slink away for now, though they’ll occasionally drop Vic’s name into the conversation as another example of Cancel Culture Gone Mad in a future flame war.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

From what I gather if there's sanctions they will take that into account.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Vic's not the only piece of human trash with a lolsuit that got slapped around recently:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1173208093200715778

Seriously though, let Vic's case be exhibit A in why we need a strong federal AntiSLAPP. In many states, the victims here would be forced to seek pro bono help or to pay out of their own pocket, settle, or crowdfund themselves and wouldn't be compensated at the end of this ordeal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a bold flex for Vic to insinuate other people don't have jobs, families, relationships for covering his awful attempt at a lawsuit when his only and current gig seems to be going to bottom-tier cons held in... uh... a converted warehouse, I guess?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

part 3 covering funi is starting:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1173299507003568130

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This poo poo is almost adorable.

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1173178319933792256?s=19

https://twitter.com/Equivo_Kate/status/1173183606707163136?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The extreme irony of this is that this could be 100% considered defamation, meeting the requirements of actual malice :ironicat:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Percy Tyrone beard is someone sho definitely posts on 4chan

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Julias posted:

The extreme irony of this is that this could be 100% considered defamation, meeting the requirements of actual malice :ironicat:

Don't you also have to show damages? You can lie about someone as much as you like as long as the lie is so outrageous no one believes it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Oh hey, here's a thing I hadn't seen before.
https://twitter.com/redreign8/status/1173340895518871552

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man what a hateful little man

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Skwirl posted:

Don't you also have to show damages? You can lie about someone as much as you like as long as the lie is so outrageous no one believes it.
No, certain types of statements are considered damaging just by their content alone; for example, saying someone was involved in criminal activity. This is the "defamation per se" that Ty keeps bringing up in transcript (vs defamation per quod). The burden would be on the defense to show that damages didn't occur.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

wait let me get this straight, some chud faked screenshots from their discord server, and they submitted it to court? am i misinterpreting this???

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

wait let me get this straight, some chud faked screenshots from their discord server, and they submitted it to court? am i misinterpreting this???

You are, yes. This is just stuff some chud made up to try to act like it's a "gotcha", but this wasn't submitted to a court or anything. Just another ISWV idiot thinking they're a smartass.

The stuff from Ty is just screenshots that passed the test to be legal evidence, showing how badly faked the chud's screenshot is. For proof.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im curious how exactly does one verify social media posts for the court

like i get hit by a drunk driver and on his public facebook is like "yeah bitch i was driving drunk idgaf lol"

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Usually you just get the person who made the post to admit they made it (Ty tried doing this with Ron Toye's tweets during his deposition, but he was so incompetent he couldn't even do that), otherwise you have to produce evidence that shows that that specific person made it, the most basic element is showing that the account actually belongs to the person in question. This process is called authentication if you want to google more information about it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What's actually hilarious is.. it's too loving late jackasses! You can't bring new evidence in on an appeal!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

since rekitikitavi wasn't actually the lawyer on the case could he still face problems

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SoftNum posted:

What's actually hilarious is.. it's too loving late jackasses! You can't bring new evidence in on an appeal!

You generally can make a motion to get new evidence but you better have a drat good reason why it wasn't introduced at trial. Your lawyer being an idiot and not introducing it is not an excuse.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

since rekitikitavi wasn't actually the lawyer on the case could he still face problems

I don't think so. Law twitter (Greg specifically) said it was possible if Vic brought a malpractice suit against Ty, as there was a conflict of interest by Nick recommending Ty be Vic's lawyer.

I doubt Vic files a malpractice suit though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

mallratcal posted:

I don't think so. Law twitter (Greg specifically) said it was possible if Vic brought a malpractice suit against Ty, as there was a conflict of interest by Nick recommending Ty be Vic's lawyer.

I doubt Vic files a malpractice suit though.

I want Vic to try to file a malpractice suit against Ty

using Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want Vic to try to file a malpractice suit against Ty

using Nick.

Why would you do this to the poor judge?