Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

At some point Toyota lost its way with design.
Haven't dove into this Corolla II deeply at all, just drove it to Cars and Coffee this morning. Needs a valve adjustment as there is an audible tick and it doesn't run the smoothest at idle though under throttle it's smooth and very zippy. It also runs quite rich when cold, and since this is the 3A-SU dual carb engine I have a bit more of a complication trying to figure out where (and which one) is loving up. Once it's warmed up that goes away. AC works great, it's light, zippy and very direct in feel and looks cool as gently caress. Fog lights are yellow, 80s-era aftermarket stereo headunit works perfectly including the tape deck, volume knob was in the glove box. Speakers are all blown out but we're absolutely keeping the Tenvox Biyo.

Haven't been as excited for a car like this in a long while :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

At some point Toyota lost its way with design.
Haven't dove into this Corolla II deeply at all, just drove it to Cars and Coffee this morning. Needs a valve adjustment as there is an audible tick and it doesn't run the smoothest at idle though under throttle it's smooth and very zippy. It also runs quite rich when cold, and since this is the 3A-SU dual carb engine I have a bit more of a complication trying to figure out where (and which one) is loving up. Once it's warmed up that goes away. AC works great, it's light, zippy and very direct in feel and looks cool as gently caress. Fog lights are yellow, 80s-era aftermarket stereo headunit works perfectly including the tape deck, volume knob was in the glove box. Speakers are all blown out but we're absolutely keeping the Tenvox Biyo.

Haven't been as excited for a car like this in a long while :iia:

That thing is boxy in all the right ways.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That Corolla II is glorious.

Even the road rash looks good on it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Absolutely beautiful Kaker

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah that’s an amazing car. Enjoy it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamn.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very nice!

...however now I'm reminded of the early 90's V6 Honda Legend that was cool as hell that I wanted (was very cheap but well maintained)... but I was too tall for it. :(

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Sweet Corolla. As the owner of a couple of boxy 80s shitboxes myself, I am deeply jealous of your AC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What an amazing 80s Japanese time capsule that aftermarket stereo is. The speakers are probably fixable...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Corolla II
Thanks, I love it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Corolla II but #1 in our hearts.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

:krad:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What an amazing 80s Japanese time capsule that aftermarket stereo is. The speakers are probably fixable...

Hmmm... The speakers themselves are made by Fujitsu and the "woofer" looks suspiciously like a Toyota dash speaker. gently caress that though, cram it full of modern speakers/horns and jam a little cross-over in the box.

That whole parcel tray speaker thing reminds me of the Peugeot 205 premium stereo, except they mounted them in the tray pointing up towards the glass. It also reminds me a bit of being 15 and jamming random speakers wherever they would fit. We only accidentally lit fire to one car!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

That whole parcel tray speaker thing reminds me of the Peugeot 205 premium stereo, except they mounted them in the tray pointing up towards the glass.

Yup, got these in my BX:

Astonishingly great sound quality for something ~30 years old!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The 19th my transport is picking up my Bluebird wagon, mint Celsior and the 94 Skyline all at once. They are arriving here to me all together on one truck the 23rd - So very psyched! Expect lots of pics.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 17, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Grakkus posted:

Sweet Corolla. As the owner of a couple of boxy 80s shitboxes myself, I am deeply jealous of your AC.

Works too :getin:

I know I always say 'wow its so awesome we're going to keep this I think' on a bunch of things but this Corolla II is super rad. I've got a bunch of parts on the way, belts (including timing) and related hardware on the way from Japan along with a new OEM cap and rotor. This is a 3-A engine so you'd think that stuff would be the same but I found some discrepancies when searching for part numbers between this specific 3ASU engine and USDM 3A engines. Didn't cost much more to source the parts from Japan so I went ahead with that. Did get new NGK spark plugs and wires from rockauto though! Ordered air and fuel filters off Amazon, picked up an oil filter from Advanced Auto. Even got a couple of cone repair kits for the speaker boxes on the rear shelf.
Tomorrow I'm going to be replacing the suspension on the Rugger as all the parts from that just arrived from the U.K.

On instagram a group of JDM fabricators and enthusiasts commented on how a 4AGE is a direct-drop in to replace the 3A-SU so there is that. I did toss a can of seafoam in (as I do with every car we get) and after driving it around a bunch Saturday the rich-burning-when-cold situation stopped today when I went and started it. Neat!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

everdave posted:

The 19th my transport is picking up my Bluebird wagon, mint Celsior and the 94 Skyline all at once. They are arriving here to me all together on one truck the 23rd - So very psyched! Expect lots of pics.

Are your neighbors jealous of your endless stream of sweet rides, or are they more 'what the hell is this guy doing with all these old cars?'

In other news my hiace leaves port tomorrow! Should have it in a few weeks!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I usually only have one or two visible at a time, keep them in the backyard or now I have a RV covered storage facility to keep 3-4. What boat is your Hi Ace on?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The Tijuca.

I have five cars strewn about the property with me and my wife, but we have a kickass parking pad that can hold two more and is behind a tall fence so we have plenty of space. The wife sees pics of kaker's warehouse and salivates though, so that's a goal for us.

I knew my neighbor on the end of the block liked cars, but I ended up next to him at discount tire today. He was on a first name basis with the tire guys and was ordering like seven sets at once.
Turns out he owns a loving warehouse filled with cars, like fd rx7s, 90s lexuses, 50s buicks, 60s mercs and so on. I need to get on his level.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 18, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well in the next 2-3 months depending on how many sell I could potentially have 12-14 vehicles including personal vehicles. I need to start selling!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The Tijuca.

I have five cars strewn about the property with me and my wife, but we have a kickass parking pad that can hold two more and is behind a tall fence so we have plenty of space. The wife sees pics of kaker's warehouse and salivates though, so that's a goal for us.

I knew my neighbor on the end of the block liked cars, but I ended up next to him at discount tire today. He was on a first name basis with the tire guys and was ordering like seven sets at once.
Turns out he owns a loving warehouse filled with cars, like fd rx7s, 90s lexuses, 50s buicks, 60s mercs and so on. I need to get on his level.

Just don't have a lame ~JDM~ logo that makes the most basic of Asian restaurants blush with embarrassment, which seems to be the the SOP of every fly by night operation. But absolutely DO get a warhouse and stuff it with rad vehicles and be spoiled for choice, it owns.

Today I finally finished the 'base' of the Rugger, in that it is drivable and livable as a vehicle. Replaced the whole suspension, springs and all, from the same shop in the U.K. that I got the parts for last time on the 85 Rugger we had. The OEM bushings were still intact but on their way out, the rear shackles were rusted in their leafs, absorbers on opposite corners were complete dead while the ones opposite of them still did their job, but howled in pain the whole time. New wheels and new tires to finish it off. Now it drives as its supposed to, sits at the right height and the new wheels and tires bring the wheels out a bit more and it looks less like an inboard weirdo driving down the road.

Before

After

Now to move on to the interior!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The wagon wheels look cool, but I think I would have painted the stock wheels black because those are BRIGHT white and make the body color look kinda dull. Paint correction on the body might fix that a bit tho.

What do you plan on asking for it? Do the doors appear to be easily removed?

Also is the diesel motor excessively loud at all? I would think that driving around with everything open it might be all you hear.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Not even joking i am asking about this one tonight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That’s got some character for sure. As long as it’s only surface rust.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ilmaA1luNxG3KXU.htm

I am being urged not to bid by Mat so I doubt I will but no lie I am in love with this

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

everdave posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ilmaA1luNxG3KXU.htm

I am being urged not to bid by Mat so I doubt I will but no lie I am in love with this

I wonder if there are any old nationalist vans kicking around. You could drive around your neighbourhood barking in the PA system!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if there are any old nationalist vans kicking around. You could drive around your neighbourhood barking in the PA system!

Well I have a fire truck with a PA coming already...

Edit: and now they’re telling me my Hi Ace camper needs 310k in repairs. F@&$ man this one is a deal gone wrong. drat it.

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 22, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The wagon wheels look cool, but I think I would have painted the stock wheels black because those are BRIGHT white and make the body color look kinda dull. Paint correction on the body might fix that a bit tho.

What do you plan on asking for it? Do the doors appear to be easily removed?

Also is the diesel motor excessively loud at all? I would think that driving around with everything open it might be all you hear.

Daihatsu's "white" on their Ruggers is that dull almost beige-like color, it isn't getting any brighter. I'd like to get it painted in a bright white like the wheels though and put some graphics on it. Drove it all over town today and loved it, having the roof on but all the sides rolled up is the best, and the AC on blasting your feet.

Don't know if we'll even put it up for sale, this Corolla II and the Rugger have taken my wife and I's hearts. It is loud, but the wind noise drowns that out above 30~ mph. The doors aren't meant to come off, but you can take the frames off, along with the entire B pillar section, and fold the windshield down. You even get little fabric straps to snap over the windows so you don't attempt to roll them up with the frames down!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im getting dumb ideas involving just how absolutely ridiculous a rugger would be with something like a 1KZ-TE or 1KD-FTV engine dropped into it would be.

Friend at Uni had a little Toyota Blizzard that blew up its 2.2L "L" motor, and he dropped the 2.8L "3L" diesel into it. Went from 71hp/93ft.lb to 90hp/139ft.lb in something that weighed 1200kg. It was scary quick for what it was and he had insane ideas of turbocharging it!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

You know that's never the case with something from the 70s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

you can take the frames off, along with the entire B pillar section, and fold the windshield down. You even get little fabric straps to snap over the windows so you don't attempt to roll them up with the frames down!

So you're going to do this right? It will be like a mini Scout :)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sold the Today today for a great price to a guy who had been looking for one. Great sale. Also got 3 delivered today! Celsior is at my house on the charger here’s the Skyline and Bluebird at storage. Image dump coming tonight imgur not cooperating.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, more pics of that Bluebird asap :D

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

everdave posted:

Sold the Today today for a great price to a guy who had been looking for one. Great sale. Also got 3 delivered today! Celsior is at my house on the charger here’s the Skyline and Bluebird at storage. Image dump coming tonight imgur not cooperating.

Alright dude, we get it. You're loaded, thanks to selling all these cars. No reason to rub everyone's nose in it with the gratuitous coolcars+boat shots. 32' speedboat, wicked sick speakers on the arch. What's next, a video of you bulldozing mounds of coke like it's 1986?
I'm just kidding, your cars are awesome

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So apparently after many delays my hiace was finally actually loaded onto the ship last night but they have yet to receive the bill of lading at JCD?

Ship tracking shows it has already left Japan but I have yet to fill out the ISF with my broker as we need the information from the shipping line.

I hope this doesn't gently caress me as you are supposed to have the ISF filed in advance of the ship departing the origin port. To the tune of a five grand fine.

It seems like maybe vehicles are exempt from this requirement as 'break bulk cargo?' Sure hope so!

Edit: my broker is assuring me she will make it all go away and is filing my late isf for me. Moral of the story: use a broker!

Question for kaker or Dave, when do you usually receive the English translation of the title? Getting that to my broker is the next step but of course I am going to be on a week long mtb trip so if it arrives sometime next week I'll have to have my wife forward it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 25, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Surface rust on the roof or...?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-77wj6LsNno42Atb.htm

Because it has all the CCs of displacement, like almost 4000 of them!

But I realize from research it's actually from a Spanish conversion company?!

So weird.

I tried to get more photos but Yoshi said this auction house doesn't do that.

Now, it's an Isuzu house, so maybe this is a case of "condition 3" actually equals "condition 3.5"?

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 26, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tops on those are usually fiberglass, and based on the corners I'd say that's what it is. Looks like grody-ness from long term storage.

Edit - the front part looks like it might be a pop-up (edit edit, or maybe just a solid fiberglass bit to add headroom for the sleeper area under it), the rear roof is probably aluminum.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 26, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

angryrobots posted:

Tops on those are usually fiberglass, and based on the corners I'd say that's what it is. Looks like grody-ness from long term storage.

Edit - the front part looks like it might be a pop-up (edit edit, or maybe just a solid fiberglass bit to add headroom for the sleeper area under it), the rear roof is probably aluminum.

Nah it's just the shape they designed it as.

From some videos I have found, I want to say it's all aluminum sheet metal or something but I have no idea of how to confirm that until I can find some anecdotal evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtr_jBDPyxo

I also noticed it's missing the side skirts that hide the water tanks and stuff. Kind of lame. Would be really hard to find that stuff...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Question for kaker or Dave, when do you usually receive the English translation of the title? Getting that to my broker is the next step but of course I am going to be on a week long mtb trip so if it arrives sometime next week I'll have to have my wife forward it.

Always use a broker, always always always. They won't mess up like we will, and we have other things to worry about than jumping through legal hoops.

Paperwork:

The next vehicle we have arriving is the 1988 Toyota Soarer, yesterday I received both the notice from Yoshi that he has sent the physical original paperwork via EMS that will be delivered here in a couple days. That notice email also includes the digital copies of that paperwork.
Two days ago I received an email from my broker indicating that Norton Lilly (port liaison for Hoegh at Jacksonville) sent them the arrival notice. Now I need to send my broker the digital paperwork that Yoshi sent me, along with the EPA and DOT forms. The Soarer is due to arrive at port in about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just got an arrival notice for my lite ace so I’ll be contacting my broker like Kaker said and get it cleared and then send Hoegh their little fee but talking to you on FB I know you aren’t on a Hoegh ship. Just ask us any questions as I’ve told you main thing is get or close eared but before it gets here.

FC that Isuzu camper looks horrible hopefully you at least get an inspection (says the guy with his great looking RV sitting in a Japanese mechanical shop costing me $$$)