Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Cattail Prophet posted:

You hold on to Caspar's lost item but then go out of your way to trigger supports with characters that are maxed out on motivation? :argh:

Supports are 1) content and 2) constantly have a notification blip in your menu. Lost items are two dialogue boxes for a free motivation and support point boost that would be relatively wasted, and have no such intrusive prompts bugging you to fulfill them.

...also the sooner people realize how much help Bernie needs the better. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Bernie :smith: You are my second favorite character.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I recently finished my first run, as Black Eagles, and Bernadetta was my MVP by several miles. Even got the kill on the final boss with her. Bernie good, all hail Bernie.

but thanks to the dumb support mechanics she ended up with that trashfire Ferdinand :argh:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Leraika posted:

Bernadetta :smith:

Yeah... But, to be honest, I am a little relieved that there is some tension revealed at last, in this story about discord and war. Because- and bear in mind I speak as a newcomer to this series, and I mean no disrespect here- but things just seemed a little too... well, nice, here. I mean, secret conversations with magic girl or not, our main character is just some mercenary from nowhere who is a stranger to this lands, and she is made a teacher at an academy for the literal heirs to kingdoms and everyone who's anyone of authority for next to no reason, and no one musters a stronger reaction than "Huh"? You're telling me that these people, with the world on a string, don't even resent that Abby's help was needed at all, have no problem with her being placed in a position of power over a lot of wealthy people? I'm not expecting JRPG Mean Girls here, but it just seems a little bit odd that we've been here for a matter of months now, and no one's threatened to kill anyone's family, or something. And that the only source of conflict has been to go out and kill a bunch of ugly people bandits, though I understand that's usually how these games begin.

So it's... well, not nice, exactly, but vindicating to see things happening of a less than savory nature, and that the flaws of our cast members are becoming more pronounced (seriously, Caspar, you got a man killed and your only response is... that?). And that the church is apparently being cagey about what this disagreement with Lonato is actually about...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

resurgam40 posted:

and she is made a teacher at an academy for the literal heirs to kingdoms and everyone who's anyone of authority for next to no reason, and no one musters a stronger reaction than "Huh"?

It may seem like that now, but I somehow doubt that Rhea would've made Abby a professor solely on the back of Alois's recommendation. There's always something deeper going on when it comes to this game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah... But, to be honest, I am a little relieved that there is some tension revealed at last, in this story about discord and war. Because- and bear in mind I speak as a newcomer to this series, and I mean no disrespect here- but things just seemed a little too... well, nice, here. I mean, secret conversations with magic girl or not, our main character is just some mercenary from nowhere who is a stranger to this lands, and she is made a teacher at an academy for the literal heirs to kingdoms and everyone who's anyone of authority for next to no reason, and no one musters a stronger reaction than "Huh"? You're telling me that these people, with the world on a string, don't even resent that Abby's help was needed at all, have no problem with her being placed in a position of power over a lot of wealthy people? I'm not expecting JRPG Mean Girls here, but it just seems a little bit odd that we've been here for a matter of months now, and no one's threatened to kill anyone's family, or something. And that the only source of conflict has been to go out and kill a bunch of ugly people bandits, though I understand that's usually how these games begin.

So it's... well, not nice, exactly, but vindicating to see things happening of a less than savory nature, and that the flaws of our cast members are becoming more pronounced (seriously, Caspar, you got a man killed and your only response is... that?). And that the church is apparently being cagey about what this disagreement with Lonato is actually about...

Eh, I think it's pretty blatant that there's something weird going on with our protagonist, so I imagine that has a lot to do with it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

resurgam40 posted:

This is the happy portion of the game where we get attached to all the people we'll be killing when stuff hits the fan.

There is a lot of blowback to the you being a professor by the adults, though. Your dad gets paranoid as to what game Rhea is playing, and Seteth is openly questioning the head of the church in front of you.

E: Plus we're not quite a nobody. We're the child of a legendary warrior who lead the holy knights back in the day.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

E: Plus we're not quite a nobody. We're the child of a legendary warrior who lead the holy knights back in the day.

Who has the major crest of Seiros.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

FoolyCharged posted:

So why isn't he teaching the kids, while you become initially a student, and then maybe work up to teacher or something, after you've proven yourself more?

But I'm deliberately being picky, and believe it or not, this isn't my first JRPG; I love my power fantasies too. I get that we have to set up the sandcastle before someone else stomps it/the sea washes it away/ a gigantic spider crab breaks out and pinches your nose.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

resurgam40 posted:

So why isn't he teaching the kids, while you become initially a student, and then maybe work up to teacher or something, after you've proven yourself more?

Because Jeralt's a Knight of Seiros. His days are mostly spent enforcing the church's martial duties, which leaves not much time for teaching. The academy was also short a professor due to one having fled during Prologue, so they needed someone to instruct a house immediately. The Church of Seiros has a lot of power, but I doubt it could comfortably weather an entire nation of nobles being angry that their children aren't being taught, especially if that nation happens to be the Adrestian Empire.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Because Jeralt's a Knight of Seiros. His days are mostly spent enforcing the church's martial duties, which leaves not much time for teaching. The academy was also short a professor due to one having fled during Prologue, so they needed someone to instruct a house immediately. The Church of Seiros has a lot of power, but I doubt it could comfortably weather an entire nation of nobles being angry that their children aren't being taught, especially if that nation happens to be the Adrestian Empire.

Now now, I'm sure Jeritza is heartbroken that he was overlooked to lead a class, as charismatic and beloved of the students as he so obviously is.

I'll get my coat.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Now now, I'm sure Jeritza is heartbroken that he was overlooked to lead a class, as charismatic and beloved of the students as he so obviously is.

I'll get my coat.

...Y'know, come to think of it, I don't think we're ever told what Jeritza's function at the monastery is. Combat instructor, maybe? The normal professors seem to handle that too, though...

And hey, he had Caspar's vote, at least. :v:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

...Y'know, come to think of it, I don't think we're ever told what Jeritza's function at the monastery is. Combat instructor, maybe? The normal professors seem to handle that too, though...

It is. Somewhere, maybe even in one of the pop-up balloons instead of actual dialogue.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, I can't remember where it says it but I'm pretty sure the game explicitly states he's employed as a combat/drill instructor.

Edit: Also, will you be taking Ashe on the next mission as a guest? Or are you going to save getting his personal perspective on this mission for the Blue Lions playthrough?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, I can't remember where it says it but I'm pretty sure the game explicitly states he's employed as a combat/drill instructor.

Edit: Also, will you be taking Ashe on the next mission as a guest? Or are you going to save getting his personal perspective on this mission for the Blue Lions playthrough?

Saving it for the Blue Lions run, yeah.

I...don't really use Mission Assistance as much as I should, to be honest.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

At the very least it's a real good way to get your support rank up for recruiting people. Just staple the person you want to byleth and rake in the support points.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

resurgam40 posted:

Long games really need the intrigue and buildup of a prologue in order to give you a bunch of plot threads and stuff to keep you interested.

As much as I get annoyed by certain character flaws because I've seen them so often (Caspar is textbook 'stop going off half-cocked all the time' dude) it's important to establish the characters a bit so they can develop. It's nice. A big cast can be a bit too much though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

Also, this is Fire Emblem. Abby is undoubtedly secretly the heir to some nation's throne, bred to be a god's vessel, or something along those lines, and those are just the PC's secret identities from the Fire Emblem LPs I've read. :v:

That and this is a JRPG. The church strongly resembles Christianity, therefore it is undoubtedly evil, hiding dark secrets, and the object of their devotion is actually some kind of monster.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Omobono posted:

Hopefully the free updates will come with some class overhaul.

There's basically 0% chance of this happening, unfortunately.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Saving it for the Blue Lions run, yeah.

I...don't really use Mission Assistance as much as I should, to be honest.

Mission assistance is basically useless if you're not playing on Maddening, since you don't need the healing badly enough to request an extra healer, and there's no point in denying your fighting units the xp from fighting. It's extremely easy to get support ranks with food and flowers.

Hunt11 posted:

[It] isn't Seiros. IIRC Edelgard has a minor crest of Seiros and it looks different if you check it in the prologue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 17, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

[It] isn't Seiros. IIRC Edelgard has a minor crest of Seiros and it looks different if you check it in the prologue.

No, I think they’re pointing out that Jeralt has a major crest of Seiros.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 17, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hey we haven't learned what that Crest is named yet. Please edit that out.

hopeandjoy posted:

No, I think they’re pointing out that Jeralt has a major crest of Seiros.

Same here, but with the quote.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The crest tooltip also has a short blur on the story of the crest, as in "the crest of elite sword guy, passed down the Blade family" or "according to legend, the crest of saint something-or-other"; followed by the game effect.
If I recall correctly, the crest of Seiros is described as being passed into the Adrestian Imperial family (and Edelgard has it). You just have to imagine all the :speculate: flying around the monastery, spawned by Jeralt showing up with the major version after disappearing for give or take two decades.

For Byleth/Abby, the writing and the characters will acknowledge she's a weird expressionless mute silent protagonist. I've also got some speculation on why she's quite good at reading and counseling people but it bears a major crest of spoilers so I'll shut up for now and make a note to share it later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

You just have to imagine all the :speculate: flying around the monastery, spawned by Jeralt showing up with the major version after disappearing for give or take two decades.

This is incorrect.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
There's... a lot you can say about Crests, Byleth, and the level of detail put into the game's setting/mythology, all of which is getting way, way ahead of ourselves at this point.

Instead, have memes.
(I didn't check so assume replies or other posts from artist are Spoilers of course)
https://twitter.com/darkgreyclouds/status/1170149248161263618?s=21

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I am very thankful for the modern meme and fanart economy, because it has vastly improved my enjoyment of this already fantastic game.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hey we haven't learned what that Crest is named yet. Please edit that out.

Oh right, my bad.

Omobono posted:

You just have to imagine all the :speculate: flying around the monastery, spawned by Jeralt showing up with the major version after disappearing for give or take two decades.

I mean, presumably he had it before so nobody really cared?

Though I'm not really clear on if there's any physically identifying features that come with a crest, so maybe he just never brought it up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cuntellectual posted:

Oh right, my bad.

I mean, presumably he had it before so nobody really cared?

Though I'm not really clear on if there's any physically identifying features that come with a crest, so maybe he just never brought it up.

I assume it's like an Eberron dragonmark and the crest is physically present on the bearer's skin.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cythereal posted:

I assume it's like an Eberron dragonmark and the crest is physically present on the bearer's skin.

If Hanneman needs a weird machiney thing to figure out if you have a crest I don't think it's that simple.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cythereal posted:

Crests are not visible on a person's body, unlike, say, the Brand of the Exalt in Awakening.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Crests can also be manifested in some weird hologram fashion. Edelgard does this with her Crest of Seiros in one of the cutscenes already seen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jeritza states he is the Combat Teacher when you first talk with him when you are going around meeting everyone before you pick your house.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I feel like Crests should have been visible on the person's body somehow, it's kinda weird when the characters keep talking about Crests all the time but 90% of the time you don't have a visual representation of the Crests during the conversations. Especially when Crests have an actual pattern and not just some vague power.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

blizzardvizard posted:

I feel like Crests should have been visible on the person's body somehow, it's kinda weird when the characters keep talking about Crests all the time but 90% of the time you don't have a visual representation of the Crests during the conversations. Especially when Crests have an actual pattern and not just some vague power.

I'm like 90% certain they do exist on a person's body. Holy Blood in the Jugdral setting, for example, manifested in markings on the forehead. It seems like too much of a stretch to assume that Crests are only detectable through magitech; how, then, would they have ever known about them?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Materant posted:

I'm like 90% certain they do exist on a person's body. Holy Blood in the Jugdral setting, for example, manifested in markings on the forehead. It seems like too much of a stretch to assume that Crests are only detectable through magitech; how, then, would they have ever known about them?

If Crests do that, then it must be on private areas of the body, because the characters never talk about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's got to be some way of easily telling, because otherwise it would be weird that nobody at any point in this massive game lies about having one when they don't.

Maybe the little magic light up effect when one activates isn't supposed to be just a gameplay thing?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

There's got to be some way of easily telling, because otherwise it would be weird that nobody at any point in this massive game lies about having one when they don't.

Maybe the little magic light up effect when one activates isn't supposed to be just a gameplay thing?

Shame there are literal tools to determine if you have a crest or not.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Shame there are literal tools to determine if you have a crest or not.

Sure, but the thing Hanneman has in his room doesn't seem like the sort of thing people would be lugging around all the time.

One of Awakening's paralogues had some random bandit say he was Chrom, y'know?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A bandit leader pretending to have holy blood would have been a hilarious chapter.

Sadly, there is proof that crests aren't easily visible, and it's much less fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Sure, but the thing Hanneman has in his room doesn't seem like the sort of thing people would be lugging around all the time.

One of Awakening's paralogues had some random bandit say he was Chrom, y'know?

Just because a chapter had some of the dumbest mercenaries imaginable doesn't mean that everyone is that dumb. Anyway the power of crests becomes from their connection to the nobility and anytime you want to be doing something about that you are going to be in the type of places that can test if you have a crest.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Just because a chapter had some of the dumbest mercenaries imaginable doesn't mean that everyone is that dumb. Anyway the power of crests becomes from their connection to the nobility and anytime you want to be doing something about that you are going to be in the type of places that can test if you have a crest.

I assume most people consider them to be a big deal.

FoolyCharged posted:

A bandit leader pretending to have holy blood would have been a hilarious chapter.

Sadly, there is proof that crests aren't easily visible, and it's much less fun.

I was really disappointed the twin bandits didn't show up to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cuntellectual posted:

I assume most people consider them to be a big deal.

Crests are the backbone of the nobility in Fódlan. Some noble families even place those with Crests higher on the line of succession than even their firstborn children. They're an incredibly big deal.

It's also not hard to interpret them as a metaphor for inherited wealth and/or landed gentry, but discussions of that are best saved for when we've seen how Crests affect the goings-on of Fódlan governments. :v: