Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Relevant Tangent posted:

Cawl will be fun because he could lose and get killed and just come back via backups. He's as close to the Omnisiah as the Mechanicus is likely to get. Unless there's a Dark Mechanicus counterpart.

I forget the name of the book I was reading, but I think there was one. Rather than a backup this one would basically infect others, including servitors and take over their bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

D-Pad posted:

Plague War was not good, but I really appreciate the way they have advanced the lore. I am really loving hyped about the Valdor and Cawl books coming out soon.

Agreed on the base they've set, I think there's a bunch of poo poo I'd be interested in to come out of the setup. Primarchs turning, Primaris v. regular Astartes civil war, Robbie v. Ecclesiarchy, etc.

quote:

10 Lord Inquisitors would get their asses kicked by Typhus. You'd need at least a chapter master level astartes to stand a chance and it would be a slim one.

Well, they had a chapter master fight Typhon, along with said company of Grey Knights, and he eventually withdrew after killing the chapter master of the Novamarines, but my criticism was more aimed at the writing. Outside of a couple of Primaris Marines apparently eyeballing the Grey Knights through a bulkhead window, the chapter master dying and another Grey Knight subbing in, there was absolutely nothing detailing the remainder of the fight. I get that the author wanted to build suspense over the uncertainty of Galatan's ownership when it arrived to decide the planetside battle, but jesus, give us something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vadoc posted:

I forget the name of the book I was reading, but I think there was one. Rather than a backup this one would basically infect others, including servitors and take over their bodies.

Was if one of the Grey Knight novels? I recall they had an adeptus mechanicus member "survive" the forgeworld falling to Chaos by downloading himself into a servitor body and mounting a guerilla campaign against the Invaders.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As I was doing some research for my current painting project I discovered that the Inquisition apparently purged Fenris of most its native population after Magnus invasion because they managed to see him.
I can only imagine them doing it with the smuggest grins on their faces.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Why does the inquisition care at this point? Isn't the big secret that daemons actually exist out at this point what with the whole Gates of Hell opening up and rending the Galaxy in twain?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Cawl book just got announced for next week! Pumped.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Why does the inquisition care at this point? Isn't the big secret that daemons actually exist out at this point what with the whole Gates of Hell opening up and rending the Galaxy in twain?

I believe the new fluff is that they have in fact given up on the previous elimination/mindwipe strategies because of the afore-mentioned 'Galaxy being on fire' thing.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Galvanik posted:

The emperor's gift I kinda goes into this way before the dark imperium stuff with the drat breaking and their being just too much to cover up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How often does the fluff call back to/acknowledge our present-day "real world" or its history? Like I know the Golden Throne is in antarctica or something, and aren't the High Lords of Terra located in the UK where the Games Workshop HQ is located? I'm picturing stuff like the Voyager 2 probe sitting in Trazyn the Infinite's collection.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
There's a scene in the Bequin book where she finds a scrap of metal for sale, and it has CCCP written on it. The shopkeeper says nobody knows where/when it's from.

There are often references to old poetry in Abnett's stuff -- the "three" plays of "Shakespire" or whatever, the idea of "beauty is truth" being from some unknown fragment.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Xenomrph posted:

How often does the fluff call back to/acknowledge our present-day "real world" or its history? Like I know the Golden Throne is in antarctica or something, and aren't the High Lords of Terra located in the UK where the Games Workshop HQ is located? I'm picturing stuff like the Voyager 2 probe sitting in Trazyn the Infinite's collection.

The Imperial Palace is canonically in the Himalayas.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It used to be in Europe, with the throne in the UK somewhere.

ETA: well "in" Europe, in the same way the EU is now... It's a big palace.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think Arhiman in A Thousand Sons had a 15th century tarot card deck.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Doesn't perturabo own the Mona Lisa?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Doesn't perturabo own the Mona Lisa?

Nah, pretty sure that is Malcador. He also has the rosetta stone.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There's a callback too in one of the 30k books that mentions the Emperor's childhood, and his tribe's practice of using clay and sea shells to sculpt the features of deceased loved ones over their defleshed skulls. That's something that has been observed in Neolithic Anatolia.

And Ahriman owns the Voynich Manuscript and allegedly translated it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fearless posted:

And Ahriman owns the Voynich Manuscript and allegedly translated it.

I find this particularly funny, given recent events.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wiegieman posted:

I find this particularly funny, given recent events.

What do you mean?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Turns out it's just a bunch of well known Latin abbreviations, and it's two cobbled together gynaecological manuals from the 1500's with bits cribbed from various sources as far back as Galen.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Turns out it's just a bunch of well known Latin abbreviations, and it's two cobbled together gynaecological manuals from the 1500's with bits cribbed from various sources as far back as Galen.

Are you basing this off of what the University of Bristol researcher was claiming? Because I think that has been largely refuted.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That Wikipedia article is an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript#Decipherment_claims

I particularly like the most recent claimant who 'translated it'.

quote:

in two weeks using a combination of "lateral thinking and ingenuity."

Experts were not impressed.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Perturbo is obsessed with Da Vinci and is heavily implied to own The Last Supper. Some of the perpetuals have been around since at least M1; the Emperor since circa 4,000 BC. Medical texts by Galen and Hippocrates are apparently still read on Terra in 30k. There’s an object in Pariah that is clearly a USSR toy rocket.

There’s honestly an improbably large number of references to relatively recent history given the setting is supposed to be at least 28,000 years in the future.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

To be fair the setting has stasis technology that reliably preserves things for thousands of years. If they got to this stuff early enough there's no reason it couldn't survive, any more than people in Dune knowing about Hitler despite him being dead for tens of thousands of years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a reference to someone being dressed up and feeling as fancy as an ancient "Merican Princess," which seems like a better representation of how our world would persist. Jusr weird impressions and feelings, rather than specific artifacts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd argue that in current times we've reached a level of information preservation that would allow for a theoretically more advanced culture to have a pretty good idea of what we were like. Obviously thirty eight thousand years of history will lead to conjecture, but even with a dark age of technology in the interim, whatever survived would be relatively easy to recover. We're not firewalling our information with potentially psychotic logic engines.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Not yet at least.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

It's more the density of references to things that happened 1AD - 2000 AD relative to everything between M2 and M25. There are tons of references to either stuff that happened during the Age of Strife (mainly in Horus Heresy era stuff), and about as many references to real-world history, but basically nothing about the time between. I understand why they don't try to sketch out an entire 23,000 year span of history but it's still something to :spergin: about.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I imagine it's partially only the poo poo we deem important now that we bother to preserve, and partially that stuff was on Earth, so it was fairly safe during the Dark Ages, while most of the stuff that would be important from the Dark Ages either being destroyed during the fighting with the machines or lost during the backslide of civilization from the giant warpstorms when SOMEBODY hate-hosed a Chaos God into existence.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s because Star Trek is actually in the 40k setting and they don’t want to infringe on that IP yet. Some day we’ll get a bit about how Rational Scientist not-Emperor oversaw purging the filthy xenos of Bajor with virus bombs. :haw:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine because Eath is Holy Terra it occupies a lot more cultural space than other 30k and 40k worlds. It's the birthplace of mankind and The Emperor, which affords it disproportionately more attention.

It's like how half of a bookstore's history section is WW2, despite it only lasting ~6 years.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

moths posted:

There's a reference to someone being dressed up and feeling as fancy as an ancient "Merican Princess," which seems like a better representation of how our world would persist. Jusr weird impressions and feelings, rather than specific artifacts.

GW predicted Harry and Meghan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Perturbo is obsessed with Da Vinci and is heavily implied to own The Last Supper. Some of the perpetuals have been around since at least M1; the Emperor since circa 4,000 BC. Medical texts by Galen and Hippocrates are apparently still read on Terra in 30k. There’s an object in Pariah that is clearly a USSR toy rocket.

There’s honestly an improbably large number of references to relatively recent history given the setting is supposed to be at least 28,000 years in the future.

i feel like if any of da vinci work survived, it wouldnt be the last supper. the fresco has barely survived this long and is basically super faded and such.

in the 1970s.

recent.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 15, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just like High Gothic sounds Latin(...ish) to our M3 ears so too do their references to things sound like references to things we're aware of?

:shrug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It doesn't actually sound Latin, that's a convention that goes back to Rogue Trader days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that Ravenor started off as a reference to an Inquisitorial author who existed prior to the Sabbat Worlds Crusades as just an offhand mention of one of his books and him coming to a bad end.

Fearless posted:

Are you basing this off of what the University of Bristol researcher was claiming? Because I think that has been largely refuted.
Nah, something older which has apparently also been refuted.

Arcsquad12 posted:

dark age of technology in the interim,
Worth nothing that the Dark Age of Technology was things like "fully sentient AI" and "luxury space Communism" too much tech Dark Ages, not "we forgot how to make spoons" post-Roman Empire Europe Dark Ages. Wild technological progress without the steady oversight of the Adeptus Mechanicus is heresy, citizen! This is also one reason the Tau are so hated.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn’t that technological enlightenment also lead to a full on AI uprising which caused a self-imposed “dark ages” because everyone now feared technology?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

Didn’t that technological enlightenment also lead to a full on AI uprising which caused a self-imposed “dark ages” because everyone now feared technology?
You mean the Glorious Enlightened Era of the Imperial Truth?

Yes, it did.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Galvanik posted:

Most Inquisitors are on the run from the Inquisition proper for Exterminatusing a planet that maybe had a Genestealer Cult on it. I mean, those juvs were painted purple, that's probably Genestealers.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah that was the glorious “the Butlerian jihad but with a worse name” period of human history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There's an Iron Man in the Blackstone Fortress game and they seem cool.