Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

toby, man, those hatless ralsei sprites just aren't doing it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ralsei is a huge dork and that's okay because he is your friend anyway

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

toby, man, those hatless ralsei sprites just aren't doing it for me

If there isn't an option to make him wear his hat and give him his classic look, I riot

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I’m happy and can’t wait to cry at this game

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

overmind2000 posted:

Noelle was in the original Fun Gang concept art Toby made during the development of Undertale so her yeah her being playable (or at least in the group for some) wouldn't be surprising.

So was Undertale basically just a side diversion on the way to developing Deltarune? Kinda feels like Toby was going in this direction all along but then decided to play around with a bunch of his characters for a different story and it became Undertale.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

So was Undertale basically just a side diversion on the way to developing Deltarune? Kinda feels like Toby was going in this direction all along but then decided to play around with a bunch of his characters for a different story and it became Undertale.

toby came up with the very vague idea for deltarune first, but it turned into undertale when he actually began development

the game we're (hopefully) getting now looks like those initial ideas with the benefit of hindsight and experience, re-purposed to build off the themes that undertale first presented

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GunnerJ posted:

He might have had a vague idea beforehand but if the tweet is accurate then that drawing would have been done one to two years after Undertale's Kickstarter ended. It wouldn't surprise me if making another game with those characters was something that was planned before the development of Undertale ended because the game was released with some possible foreshadowing to Deltarune in it.

There is an event that can pop up in Waterfall if the game's Fun value is generated at the start of the game to anywhere from 80 to 89 (out of 100) wherein you meet a clam monster that says 'I'm visiting Waterfall from the city. Synchronicity...? My neighbor's daughter looks about your age. Her name is "Suzy." I feel like you two should be friends' (the dialogue after that isn't really important). Undertale's first patch added another relevant line, 'In life's grand scheme, she might be why you came here in the first place...' In both the original and patched version of the game the word Suzy is colored yellow so it was meant to be noticed if nothing else.

Any post-1.00 version of the game also has this description added to one of the drawers in Sans's workshop: '(There's a photo album inside the drawer.) (There are photos of... Huh?) (A card is sticking out from the back flap of the binder.) (It's a poorly drawn picture of three smiling people.) (Written on it...) "don't forget."'

Undertale was released in September of 2015 and the first patch came out in January of 2016, so with Deltarune coming out three years after the release of Undertale I feel that it's more likely that he had the idea for a sequel while developing Undertale but didn't have any concrete plans until close to the release of the game.

Coincidentally the event that mentions Suzy is tied with the event where you meet Goner Kid as the second most likely Fun event to happen in terms of percentage so if it was intended as foreshadowing that might be why it has the frequency that it does. Of course both events are tied at 10% so while it isn't that likely that you'll see it it's still more likely than most of them.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 15, 2019

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just Persona the poo poo out of this Toby, is what I’m saying.

The Dating HUD appears during 'friendship' activities but actually has a purpose to help maximize your link during the event.

Maxing out a friend link gives you a new summon or new ability for your party member.

At link level 2 they will die for you.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
One other bit to bring it home, a few days before the release of Deltarune, the Switch version of the game had this update to bring the full thing together. This encounter was also extremely rare set upon by set fun values (think it had to be between 80-89 to trigger clam girl, but for her to be a Goner it had to be a specific number in that block)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj92yTqWmFY

I really loved this aspect of Undertale. From the always remembering until you do a true reset to the fun events that you may not even notice in a straight play through. It’s just so cool!!

Also since we are getting close, October 10th is the day you can fight So Sorry in Undertale if you don’t want to switch your clock up.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My ear's not the best at picking out this sort of thing, but it sounds like the teaser musics Toby shared don't have the "don't forget I'm with you in the dark" leitmotif? I wonder if each chapter will have its own musical motif tying everything together.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tendales posted:

My ear's not the best at picking out this sort of thing, but it sounds like the teaser musics Toby shared don't have the "don't forget I'm with you in the dark" leitmotif? I wonder if each chapter will have its own musical motif tying everything together.

That would make sense and yeah, I was listening for that leitmotif and I didn't hear it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, he showed off character and location motifs, Don't Forget is a thematic motif. It would be if the Undertale main theme appeared in the Undyne or Waterfall theme or something.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

That would make sense and yeah, I was listening for that leitmotif and I didn't hear it.

Each chapter could have its own but I didn’t hear any common threads in the two either. Will give it a listen when I have a spot I can

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Well, he showed off character and location motifs, Don't Forget is a thematic motif. It would be if the Undertale main theme appeared in the Undyne or Waterfall theme or something.

Speaking of Don’t Forget (or whatever it’s actually called), I kind of hope there’s a longer version of that song in the full game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I took one music class once and that's the extent of my engagement with music beyond "this sounds neat." So when people were freaking out about the new Smash arrangement of Megalovania having other songs mixed in or when people talk about motifs and whatnot I'm always just like ???.

I have truly poo poo ears though so even though it'd be neat to appreciate it on that level I'll have to live with just liking listening to it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Don’t Forget (or whatever it’s actually called), I kind of hope there’s a longer version of that song in the full game.

I'm almost sure that Don't Forget will show up as half of a complete song. and you will cry buckets of tears

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I took one music class once and that's the extent of my engagement with music beyond "this sounds neat." So when people were freaking out about the new Smash arrangement of Megalovania having other songs mixed in or when people talk about motifs and whatnot I'm always just like ???.

I have truly poo poo ears though so even though it'd be neat to appreciate it on that level I'll have to live with just liking listening to it.

I noticed it with all the Undertale songs, but I can't hear the supposed Bonetrousle and Heartache that's in the new Megalovania remix for Smash

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I hear a hint of the progression of "Once Upon a Time" in that song for the CITY, but I don't imagine that's meant for an explicit leitmotif.

As for Lost Girl, it wasn't cited already in thread, but it's meant to be more of its own new leitmotif, so you'll probably hear it in other songs.
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1173215561721032704

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This article is a good exploration of how Undertale uses motifs.

Regarding the Megalovania remix, this part is taken straight from Heartache/ASGORE, followed immediately by Bonetrousle.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 16, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I noticed it with all the Undertale songs, but I can't hear the supposed Bonetrousle and Heartache that's in the new Megalovania remix for Smash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipRM0w3Zlzc

2:03 is Heartache, though it sounds more like the Asgore theme (Burgentrucken?), moments later is Bonetrousle

efb

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's the backing guitars that goes into the other songs, if you're having trouble picking them out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Noelle and I hope bad things dont happen to her

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fangz posted:

It does show up in snowdin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think this is the best youtube video of undertale leitmotifs out there still, though someone may have made a better one, it just strings together examples of all the leitmotif usage including changed speed versions. I wager there will be at least half a dozen examples in here you won't have realized were leitmotifs or didn't recognize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKy4B29Do7k&hd=1

basically, toby fox is a leitmotif god

Squiddycat posted:

she, and by extension you, are gonna have a bad time

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Squiddycat posted:

I like Noelle too, but let's be real here there's a 100% chance that something sad is going to happen to here and make us all cry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Leitmotifs are cool.

Remember when videogame shad music instead of generic orchestral stings?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think the most obvious thing to happen too Noelle would be her father dying which leads to her ending up in the Dark World, from there Kris and probably Ralsei end helping her through her issues, and the chapter ends with Kris and her coming back into the Light World where she tries to reconnect with her mom.

And the journey is going to be both sad and hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What will instead happen is we'll kill an evil version of her dad and then the next day when she goes to the hospital to check on him they'll find that whatever disease he had is dead and now he's on the road to recovery.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I think the most obvious thing to happen too Noelle would be her father dying which leads to her ending up in the Dark World, from there Kris and probably Ralsei end helping her through her issues, and the chapter ends with Kris and her coming back into the Light World where she tries to reconnect with her mom.

And the journey is going to be both sad and hilarious.

thing is that the prophecy's most vague and menacing phrase is "destroy the Angel's heaven," and Noelle's looking awful angelic in that shot

she's clearly in a real bad place life-wise right now and i get the feeling that the Dark World would enable her particular issues more than it would help her through them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

thing is that the prophecy's most vague and menacing phrase is "destroy the Angel's heaven," and Noelle's looking awful angelic in that shot

she's clearly in a real bad place life-wise right now and i get the feeling that the Dark World would enable her particular issues more than it would help her through them

Plot Twist: Noelle is the final boss.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Larryb posted:

Plot Twist: Noelle is the final boss.

wouldn't put it past toby

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If any harm befalls Noelle I'm going to rocket a deuce through Toby's living room window, or the window of any room with carpetting

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

are we gonna have to final fantasy tactics advance noel :ohdear:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno, it seems like the "Angel's heaven" is an idea that will only come up much later in the game rather than the second chapter.
And when it talks about Banishing the Angel's heaven it shows the Deltarune which is a religious symbol I don't think is associated with Noelle.

Honestly I think the Angel's heaven has more too do with Asriel, since he's a good church boy and the game makes a really big deal out of how perfect and wonderful his life is.

And Susie was also in a really bad place, she was a complete outcast, she was living up to everyone's preconception of her too the point she was completely self destructive, but her journey still helped her become a better person.

I'm not saying Noelle will have the exact same plot beats mind you, since it seems like the Dark World reflects the person that comes into it.
In Susie's case it showed her as she was with Lancer and the person she could become if she didn't change with the King.

So I think Noelle's journey will start of in a similar manner, but may end up very differently.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

basically, toby fox is a leitmotif god
This is one thing that Homestuck prepared him well for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I dunno, it seems like the "Angel's heaven" is an idea that will only come up much later in the game rather than the second chapter.
And when it talks about Banishing the Angel's heaven it shows the Deltarune which is a religious symbol I don't think is associated with Noelle.

Honestly I think the Angel's heaven has more too do with Asriel, since he's a good church boy and the game makes a really big deal out of how perfect and wonderful his life is.

And Susie was also in a really bad place, she was a complete outcast, she was living up to everyone's preconception of her too the point she was completely self destructive, but her journey still helped her become a better person.

I'm not saying Noelle will have the exact same plot beats mind you, since it seems like the Dark World reflects the person that comes into it.
In Susie's case it showed her as she was with Lancer and the person she could become if she didn't change with the King.

So I think Noelle's journey will start of in a similar manner, but may end up very differently.

i'm not comfortable making any big assumptions on how the plot's going since there are still so many factors in play, but i do think the Dark World is presented as a more "safe," comfortable, fantastical alternative to the mundane desperation of Hometown, and Noelle's particular issues make her a lot more vulnerable to the temptations of such a place. rudy makes a point of saying how scared and stressed she is by everything around her, and her denial over the severity of his illness likely isn't helping matters. the way things stand, i can definitely see her buying into the Dark World's escapism to the point where she becomes an antagonistic force

still, like i said, can't make assumptions. we've still got factors like the other fountains, whatever Ralsei's deal is, the Queen, the Knight, and this possible "other Him" who hijacked our character-creation process during the initial survey. way too many plates spinning right now to make any safe bets as to which ones will come crashing down and why

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I’m kind of curious how bad Susie’s home life is (or if she even still has a family) to bring her to the point where she seemed genuinely surprised that anyone could possibly like her, much less actually want to be her friend.

Also I kind of hope Ralsei puts the hat back on when we see him again, he looks a lot better that way in my opinion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Scarodactyl posted:

This is one thing that Homestuck prepared him well for.

Vriska as bonus boss with this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnY41JNVbo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda wonder if this is going to be a story centered strongly around hitting individual character arcs one after another or if it'll follow whatever A-story it has closer. I mean more in structure- will it do something like say have fountains continuously pop up and each one you go to close ends up some character's arc in a really episodic manner, or will your goals change often, or will some main goal (like "Get out of the mountain" in Undertale) take over long term?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I hope Ralsei gets a different hat every chapter.