Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea I don't need my ranchers or farmers in suits to go pet a hatch. It's easier to just oxygenate the ranch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Urrrrgh, making enough liquid Hydrogen is purely a waiting game. 3037KG for reaching the Tear when my vents are dormant, so I'm splitting a salt water geyser and passing on the contents. Also having to cool down my pipes enough so the liquid inside doesn't state change and break them.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 12, 2019

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Urrrrgh, making enough liquid Hydrogen is purely a waiting game. 3037KG for reaching the Tear when my vents are dormant, so I'm splitting a salt water geyser and passing on the contents. Also having to cool down my pipes enough so the liquid inside doesn't state change and break them.

I had something like twelve electrolyzers making hydrogen for rockets, with pumps above them and the open vacuum of space below them because I sure don't need all that oxygen. (That was to keep three rockets fueled up, though.)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

CainFortea posted:

Yea I don't need my ranchers or farmers in suits to go pet a hatch. It's easier to just oxygenate the ranch.

You can add areas to the non-suit sections of your base like ranches, but wearing suits all the time just flat eliminates all stress from temperature, holding breath or stepping in any liquids. The difference between suits and no suits all the time is you run all your oxygen to the docks before dispersing throughout, once the docks are full you extend to the vents to pressurize the rest of your space anyway. Suits give +10 digging to everyone wearing one, better insulation than either clothing type (allowing you to put snazzy suits on everyone) and completely shuts off CO2 production for the duration they wear them. Getting exosuit engineering is 6 morale as mentioned and completely negates the -6 althetics on top of adding 2 as a skill bonus. My dudes chill between 48-58 morale at all times once I was feeding them mushroom wraps regularly (w/ omelettes and BBQ mixed in). If I ever take them out of the suits to explore you basically cannot avoid that dropping to like 36 from various environment issues.

I really can’t talk it up enough every time this is discussed.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 12, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Been trying to generate a mass slickster farm and I'm starting to wonder if I just need to break them out into multiple rooms of 8 slicksters each. I was hoping to just cram them all into a single room and sweep eggs away, but they are still glum and metabolism dumps by 80%. It might be time to enslave a single dupe who's sole task is to live in the slicker-o-sphere, petting goopy flying shitters until the end of time.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

User0015 posted:

Been trying to generate a mass slickster farm and I'm starting to wonder if I just need to break them out into multiple rooms of 8 slicksters each. I was hoping to just cram them all into a single room and sweep eggs away, but they are still glum and metabolism dumps by 80%. It might be time to enslave a single dupe who's sole task is to live in the slicker-o-sphere, petting goopy flying shitters until the end of time.

What’s glum coming from, are they tamed and not being groomed or just overcrowded?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

User0015 posted:

Just remember a tame slickster is expecting 1kg of CO2 a second. Hopefully you're doing massive ethanol/petro gen production to compensate (4 and 1 running non-stop is enough for 1166.67g/s).

Wild is a quarter that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mazz posted:

What’s glum coming from, are they tamed and not being groomed or just overcrowded?

There are 36 of them, so just slightly crowded. I thought I could keep them wild and hungry, but for whatever reason it doesn't work. So I might resort to just ranching them all.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

User0015 posted:

There are 36 of them, so just slightly crowded. I thought I could keep them wild and hungry, but for whatever reason it doesn't work. So I might resort to just ranching them all.

If they are wild they shouldn't have happiness malus at all outside of overcrowded, did they hatch from eggs? Sometimes they hatch tame if you relocate the eggs and I think if you incubator them. Also if you have no ranching station you can bust open a wall and have the area available be the entire map if you want, that should remove any overcrowding debuff. Animals just need access to 12 tiles not occupied by another, it doesn't actually have to be 12 tiles they can reach. I used to do the infinite hatch ranches with 40,000 tile rooms, but they were confied to a 3x3 space with a hole in the wall. That was back when the ranching station still worked outside of a ranch though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 12, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Hello Sailor posted:

This isn't a thing. Dupes consume oxygen at the same rate, whether in or out of a suit.

I mean excess O2 floating around not being used directly. a suit would be the most efficient use.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Just remember a tame slickster is expecting 1kg of CO2 a second. Hopefully you're doing massive ethanol/petro gen production to compensate (4 and 1 running non-stop is enough for 1166.67g/s).

Wild is a quarter that.

Holy poo poo, really? That is a TON of CO2. A single expects 1kg, not a ranch of 8?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Slicksters eat CO2 like it's a fuckin competition man.

I had 3, and even with a coal gen farm and 15 dupes they ate every bit of CO2. I ended up just keeping one up at a time.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I checked and rechecked those numbers before writing that post. For comparison, Dupes are putting out 2g/s of CO2, Coal generators only 20g/s and Natural Gas generators 22.5g/s. A Gas Range, shockingly enough, outputs 25g/s. That's about typical for anything that isn't an Ethanol Distiller (166.67) or Petro gen (500!).

Carbon Skimmers can eat 300g/s.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The ONI-DB puts a tame, happy slickster at 33.33g/s, which is 20kg/cycle. https://oni-db.com/details/oilfloater

Oni Assistant puts a tame, happy slickster at 1000g/s, which is 600kg/cycle. https://oni-assistant.com/database/critters/oilfloater

*sigh* :(

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Does the petrol gen change its output when running off ethanol?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

No, it just takes in either petroleum or ethanol and shits out polluted water and carbon dioxide by the bucketful. At 2kw I'm not complaining about it but if you built it in isolation you're definitely going to need support machinery.

insta posted:

The ONI-DB puts a tame, happy slickster at 33.33g/s, which is 20kg/cycle. https://oni-db.com/details/oilfloater

Oni Assistant puts a tame, happy slickster at 1000g/s, which is 600kg/cycle. https://oni-assistant.com/database/critters/oilfloater

*sigh* :(

I did more digging around and other places seem to agree with ONI-DB over Oni Assistant. I might have to reconsider my oil biome and start taming them!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Keep in mind that while they suck up CO2 and half of it is converted to crude oil, in the grand scheme it isn't all that much. You'd need 4 tame slicksters to support a single petroleum generator and there's basically nothing that can support output of that much CO2. More realistically you've got a few of them to just eat the co2 and the oil is a nice bonus.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mazz posted:

If they are wild they shouldn't have happiness malus at all outside of overcrowded, did they hatch from eggs? Sometimes they hatch tame if you relocate the eggs and I think if you incubator them. Also if you have no ranching station you can bust open a wall and have the area available be the entire map if you want, that should remove any overcrowding debuff. Animals just need access to 12 tiles not occupied by another, it doesn't actually have to be 12 tiles they can reach. I used to do the infinite hatch ranches with 40,000 tile rooms, but they were confied to a 3x3 space with a hole in the wall. That was back when the ranching station still worked outside of a ranch though.

Yeah I'm using 3 breeding slicksters and moving the eggs to an open room. They're still popping up tamed, which was a surprise. I just tried to automate the eggs moving to a hatchery and still the same result.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

All critters once tamed will produce offspring that are also tamed, even after being released into the wild.

EDIT:

Guess who all decided to get stuck and sunburn themselves while I was busy designing? Half my colony. :downs:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Sage Grimm posted:

All critters once tamed will produce offspring that are also tamed, even after being released into the wild.

EDIT:

Guess who all decided to get stuck and sunburn themselves while I was busy designing? Half my colony. :downs:

There's a mod out now called claustrophobia, it will pop a warning notification when any dupe is only able to access like <10% of the playable area or cannot reach their bed. It's pretty useful for poo poo like this although it can false positive a bit and can add to CPU load with lots of dupes because it has to scan each dupe every couple seconds.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 13, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sage Grimm posted:

EDIT:

You design with the game running? I always pause for that. Also, I'm not exactly seeing a way for the dupes to get down from those floating ladders...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ambaire posted:

You design with the game running? I always pause for that. Also, I'm not exactly seeing a way for the dupes to get down from those floating ladders...

Dupes can jump down or over 1 space, including to other ladders. It's a way to lower the build time at the expense of travel time (the jumping is slower than a straight run) The bunker doors may need another ladder tile directly underneath if they can't run to an exit along the length once that regolith is gone. They can't jump down from the door frame, so the door is still 1 full tile of distance.

You see the same problem when you have vertically oriented doors in vertical ladder shafts, they have to be forced open so they can use the door bottom, or the tile next to the door has to allow them to jump to one tile down to reach the ladder below next move, or the dupes cannot cross that door. It's wonky and it's specifically for what that 1 tile door mod is for, but I hate the squished art of the thing currently; hopefully Klei just adds something similar.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 13, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

You see the same problem when you have vertically oriented doors in vertical ladder shafts, they have to be forced open so they can use the door bottom, or the tile next to the door has to allow them to jump to one tile down to reach the ladder below next move, or the dupes cannot cross that door. It's wonky and it's specifically for what that 1 tile door mod is for, but I hate the squished art of the thing currently; hopefully Klei just adds something similar.

I, too, hope we get to make hatches out of hatches. Although what I really want is some kind of automation-enabled iris that I can connect to a dupe detector, so when a dupe whizzes down a fire pole towards it opens and closes behind them automatically like a low budget Stargate.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Aethernet posted:

I, too, hope we get to make hatches out of hatches. Although what I really want is some kind of automation-enabled iris that I can connect to a dupe detector, so when a dupe whizzes down a fire pole towards it opens and closes behind them automatically like a low budget Stargate.

If you can put the motion sensor in the right place and add a buffer gate, you can already do this. I do this with my base lighting in the great hall. Only problem is the pole can’t travel through the door currently.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't understand the metal refinery. Does it put out heat itself? Is the heat confined to the coolant? Why does a dupe have to work this I thought it was a set and forget?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The refinery itself puts out about 1.25 wheezeworts worth of heat. The coolant heats up a variable amount depending on the metal being refined. The amount of heat energy is constant per type of metal, but the fluid will change temperature differently based on specific heat. Petroleum will rise more degrees than water will for the same smelt, but it is correspondingly easier to cool back down, too.

Using the refinery is a Tinker task and is preferred by an Engineer.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Late and half-late game you just output the coolant to a tank under a steam engine by the way. That tank also should have an aquatuner for cooling down the steam engine and the refinery.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do you do the gas vent over liquid trick? I'm trying to make a storage area for my CO2 so I have food when I get slicksters.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Build a bottle emptier near the vent so when it outputs the liquid will flow into the same tile. You want the liquid to be between 1000 and 2000g which, if you're like me, are in scattered bottles from when you mop up water/salt water/crude oil/petroleum. Sweep enough bottles into the emptier to get into that critical value, delete the emptier and build the rest of the structure to enclose the gas.

An alternative means is by having just the right amount of ice melt into the depression where the vent sits, moved there through a Storage Bin. I find 3kg to be a good value though don't forget to unmark the bin before the initial ice melts!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just bottle emptier a puddle in front of the vent, pump some gas through so the vent is listed as blocked, then mop the puddle a few tiles away and cancel the mop when the gas starts coming through.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Another option; The ice maker makes 30kg per run, so you can make 30kg that will chill in the machine, build a storage where you want the ice, set the storage slider to like 2-4kg, 1kg per tile around the vent, you want at least a couple tiles for it to work right. It’ll melt real fast and you’ll have 1000-1500g per tile. Deselect and delete the storage after.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I usually setup a convoluted contraption with automation gates and doors to compress gas instead of using the liquid over vent trick, because I'm crazy apparently. On the plus side, it can compress liquids* too if you want to.

*May cause pressure explosions if you use the wrong tiles to wall things off.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
OMG Gas compressor's are awesome. Screw dealing with storage tanks!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Beccara posted:

OMG Gas compressor's are awesome. Screw dealing with storage tanks!

Counterpoint: pretty colors.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I was going to use that conveyor filters mod to build a giant auto sorting storage system but I realized the scale I was building it meant it could pull up to 11kw by itself if running constantly, and it probably would be since I'm jetpack strip mining the entire map now.

Instead I went with something like this:

Still pretty power hungry but cleanly moves material inside the walls into the general area, shortening the dupe travel time a ton.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

I was going to use that conveyor filters mod to build a giant auto sorting storage system but I realized the scale I was building it meant it could pull up to 11kw by itself if running constantly, and it probably would be since I'm jetpack strip mining the entire map now.

Instead I went with something like this:

Still pretty power hungry but cleanly moves material inside the walls into the general area, shortening the dupe travel time a ton.

But you don't need a mod to do sorting with conveyor rails? Just receptacles and loaders branching off should be enough to funnel items first by category, then you could further branch by type within the category.

I've never done this before, but I think I'd skip the receptacles and just go with a drop off. A central dropoff location in which an army of sweepers fill loaders by sorting category. The only things you'd have to be careful of are temperature sensitive materials, like storing phosphorite and regolith together.

More importantly, I rarely use storage bins at all since they released the conveyor drop off and the item dispenser. All items can be stored in a 2 tile deep pit open to the world so long as you separate things that shouldn't thermally be around each other. Sure it ends up being -5632 decor or so, but only with a radius of 2 which can't reach out of the pit. Duplicants can retrieve items from a 2 deep pit without going in it, meaning the decor penalty basically never applies until Meep has an accident and someone has to go mop it up.

We talk about gas compression, but really compressing solids is even more extreme in the game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

More importantly, I rarely use storage bins at all since they released the conveyor drop off and the item dispenser. All items can be stored in a 2 tile deep pit open to the world so long as you separate things that shouldn't thermally be around each other. Sure it ends up being -5632 decor or so, but only with a radius of 2 which can't reach out of the pit. Duplicants can retrieve items from a 2 deep pit without going in it, meaning the decor penalty basically never applies until Meep has an accident and someone has to go mop it up.

Yeah, I feel like this is the way to go when it comes to storing tons and tons of crap. I had that setup for the longest time in my last colony, and eventually I decided to start storing things "properly" and built rows upon rows of storage containers, but it really didn't feel like it offered any advantages.

I also poured some petroleum into that pit and ran a radiant cooling pipe behind it, so I didn't even have to worry about the heat issues.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Smiling Demon posted:

But you don't need a mod to do sorting with conveyor rails? Just receptacles and loaders branching off should be enough to funnel items first by category, then you could further branch by type within the category.

I've never done this before, but I think I'd skip the receptacles and just go with a drop off. A central dropoff location in which an army of sweepers fill loaders by sorting category. The only things you'd have to be careful of are temperature sensitive materials, like storing phosphorite and regolith together.

We talk about gas compression, but really compressing solids is even more extreme in the game.

I thought about a central storage room filled with loaders to each specific area, but I didn’t really want to configure the giant mass of rails that entails since without a filter of some sort every loader is a seperate line unless you receptacle out every item along the line. It’s power and space intensive pretty much any way you do it completely automated. Also until we can rotate storage to hang vertically or sit sideways it’s just wholly less space efficient than giant rows of storage.

It’s kind of weird they added that conveyor shutoff but no actual line sensors to use with it.

The pit storage makes a lot of sense with the dispensers added (and not having to do that automation turn off trick), I just have a soft spot for the giant rows of storage containers each neatly organized by material. It’s mostly “do this because I can” vs any sort of efficiency. It’s also one of those personal lines in the sand, like how some goons didn’t want to heat delete when that was a mechanic. I don’t really like that idea of just thousands of tons of rock stacked neatly in a square meter of space. For pre storage collection like shown I can tolerate it, but long term I’d prefer it ends up in boxes to keep it less game-y.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 17, 2019

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
130 hours in and just launched/landed my first rocket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
RIP your gantry.

I was about 150-200-ish cycles in when my SSD hard drive croaked. Total loss of contents.