Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i dont think even the syrian opposition was this pathetic

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1173032657925672960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait they paid a real orchestra to do that i just assumed they did it themselves youd think a million strong protest would have enough people trained in classical instruments to build their own orchestra

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i dont think even the syrian opposition was this pathetic

I don't really know why they're doing this at this point unless they're just doing it to make the CCP mad, but it's embarrassing

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Some Guy TT posted:

does the ccp just block all trump related news from entering the country via firewalls because extreme ignorance is the only way i can think of to justify this

Ccp broadcasts trump related news loud and clear to demonstrate failure of US so called democracy

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Grapplejack posted:

lmao

I don't really know why they're doing this at this point unless they're just doing it to make the CCP mad, but it's embarrassing

Griefing CCP is a higher priority than democracy on Hong Kongers' todo list.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

lmao

they're desperate and stupid. they think some power, any power, is going to go to bat for them in a major way beyond just whining.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol god that sucks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
having an orchestra as part of a protest seems like something the larouche movement would do

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that led me to wonder what the larouchite position on HK is, and it turns out they're pro-PRC because larouchies really hate the british and see them as the central players in a worldwide conspiracy, and they claim the protests are a plot by british intelligence. also fans of one belt, one road because of the larouchie thing for big continent-spanning infrastructure projects

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

that led me to wonder what the larouchite position on HK is, and it turns out they're pro-PRC because larouchies really hate the british and see them as the central players in a worldwide conspiracy. also fans of one belt, one road because of the larouchie thing for big continent-spanning infrastructure projects

hell yeah

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone explain to me why belt and road is supposed to be bad again

the main recurring argument i hear against it is that theyre putting africa in debt but i read somewhere that china apparently only holds about forty percent of africas overall debt which begs the question of who has the other sixty percent and what they did to deserve it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Some Guy TT posted:

It's anti-imperialistic so the US propaganda media blasts it as "bad" somehow

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Some Guy TT posted:

the main recurring argument i hear against it is that theyre putting africa in debt but i read somewhere that china apparently only holds about forty percent of africas overall debt which begs the question of who has the other sixty percent and what they did to deserve it

The primary criticism is usually couched in “neocolonialism” as a euphemism to complain about China “expanding influence.” Its not clear to me how much ownership or participation African countries will have in these projects and there’s been concerns raised about rising cost projections but the criticisms by the US seem weak and mostly “it’s not fair you’re making friends with other countries instead of us!”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sc...-rail-link-back

Here’s an article that mixes legitimate concerns (environmental concerns, gentrification/projects pushing people out of their homes, lack of local input or participation, especially from local labor) with the dumber poo poo about Chinese influence or whatever.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFBHBMatXk

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

for the Chinese it's basically their solution to becoming able to do imperialist foreign investment according to their real capacity when westerners have gobbled the good stuff up by forcing firesales through the IMF and the like since forever and countries have been generally hesitant to let them buy up prime investment assets. they're counting on being able to create prime infrastructure and surrounding land investments from nothing to get in on the division.

pretty sure they're also still marxist enough to recognize that profits and wages are opposites, so their decision to go for that generous wage raise in the last 10 years to create a more of a domestic consumer economy must have come with a huge implicit decision to make more of their profits abroad through various forms of rent.

of course that's not all and they probably aren't going to price gouge the same way as whenever someone buys up a country's electricity grid or something, since the point is also to preventatively circumvent US capacity to strangle their economy with a naval blockade by creating a viable land trade route to Europe and getting the countries along the way beholden to them in a way that makes it much harder to get any host country along the way to deny the use of that route to them.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some Guy TT posted:

its actually only 20 percent lol

Africa's growing debt crisis: who is the debt owed to?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they're desperate and stupid. they think some power, any power, is going to go to bat for them in a major way beyond just whining.

lol idiot protesters, they should just stop agitating against the only remaining true communist state on Earth

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
some serious poe's law going down here

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

does the ccp just block all trump related news from entering the country via firewalls because extreme ignorance is the only way i can think of to justify this

This is a painfully never-left-america-in-my-life viewpoint, thanks for sharing

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
boy howdy those hong kongers sure must not know about the border wall with Mexico! Drumpf and his silly ideas!

Oh yeah anti chinese rhetoric, his general support for Taiwan, wonder if they know about his trade war against China?????? the only major policy that effects the region they're in????

their general public sure doesn't know exact details of foreign leader's internal policy nor form opinions based on their own research instead of media talking points
not like here in America where we are Well Informed On Who Is The Badguy

lmao forever

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Sep 16, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Must Be That Firewall I'm Always Hearing About On My Free, Well Informed News Sources Here In The West

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

Maybe the majority of debt in Africa could be held by other african nations via co-investment and development instead of excusing imperialism lite because imperialism + proceeded it

next question please

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is that what i sound like in the d and d korea thread

geez no wonder everyone thinks im an rear end in a top hat

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The thing about Belt and Road is that, Beijing need a way to spend the dollar they make from the US. Look at the trade relationship between US and China: China makes every consumer products for the US, and increasingly some highly end equipment; China makes practically everything themselves and buys basically only passenger planes and some oil and beans from US. China gets tons of US dollars from the trade deficit every year.

China needs a way to spend the USD before the inevitable US/China geopolitic war of the 21st century (or warm war if you want to call it). China already buys tons of gold and foreign companies. Often they get cockblocked from buying major western energy companies for national security reasons. China can't bring the USD home, because it will cause inflation known as Dutch Disease. Of course the west want China dump the money to the western stocks and real estate markets to prop up the western financial markets. But that would be a dumb way to spend your investment money, because the west especially europe is on the long term decline. Investing on the 3rd world is a much better bet. China was already doing it before call it 1B1R and group them under the Xi Dada branded basket. You are essentially placing a 50 year bet that the poor countries/the developing world/global south will grow faster than the rich countries/developed world/global north. If you look at it this way it's a very easy bet to make. Even if 30% of the countries continue to fail and declare bankruptcy a few times over, the remaining will still makeup the good returns.

That's the main reason China place the bet on the BRI, there was also other reasons China went on Africa so hard after 2008 but not that important from the big picture. When you lend so much money to another sovereign state, there is always going to be an unequal power dynamic between them. And you can call it imperialism if you want. China doesn't care about the imperialism power dynamic, China just to properly spend the war chest on solid things. Why do the western press poo poo on it? cause they know they are being bet on as the declining side in China's long term bet.So you can ignore the global western hivemind's opinion on BRI. I am more worry if Al Jazeera or CNA poo poo on BRI.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

Oh yeah anti chinese rhetoric, his general support for Taiwan, wonder if they know about his trade war against China?????? the only major policy that effects the region they're in????

wait this sounds counterintuitive if everybody knows about trumps trade war against china why does that mean trump good doesnt the trade war against china also hurt hong kong or are they just basing their politics around the spite of how trump must be good since he makes their enemies mad

amusingly enough thats also why trumps supporters think hes good but on the flip side im not stupid enough to think that just because xi jinping opposes trump that means hes my friend and i should want him to intervene in americas political system to do god knows what

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

tino posted:

The thing about Belt and Road is that, Beijing need a way to spend the dollar they make from the US. Look at the trade relationship between US and China: China makes every consumer products for the US, and increasingly some highly end equipment; China makes practically everything themselves and buys basically only passenger planes and some oil and beans from US. China gets tons of US dollars from the trade deficit every year.

China needs a way to spend the USD before the inevitable US/China geopolitic war of the 21st century (or warm war if you want to call it). China already buys tons of gold and foreign companies. Often they get cockblocked from buying major western energy companies for national security reasons. China can't bring the USD home, because it will cause inflation known as Dutch Disease. Of course the west want China dump the money to the western stocks and real estate markets to prop up the western financial markets. But that would be a dumb way to spend your investment money, because the west especially europe is on the long term decline. Investing on the 3rd world is a much better bet. China was already doing it before call it 1B1R and group them under the Xi Dada branded basket. You are essentially placing a 50 year bet that the poor countries/the developing world/global south will grow faster than the rich countries/developed world/global north. If you look at it this way it's a very easy bet to make. Even if 30% of the countries continue to fail and declare bankruptcy a few times over, the remaining will still makeup the good returns.

That's the main reason China place the bet on the BRI, there was also other reasons China went on Africa so hard after 2008 but not that important from the big picture. When you lend so much money to another sovereign state, there is always going to be an unequal power dynamic between them. And you can call it imperialism if you want. China doesn't care about the imperialism power dynamic, China just to properly spend the war chest on solid things. Why do the western press poo poo on it? cause they know they are being bet on as the declining side in China's long term bet.So you can ignore the global western hivemind's opinion on BRI. I am more worry if Al Jazeera or CNA poo poo on BRI.

good post.

you kind of underestimate the question of power regarding foreign investments though. the reason China can't find enough good investment opportunities in the global north is that insiders are given preferential treatment and they can't do anything about it, they can't get a controlling stake anywhere that is thought to matter and they can't wield any power over states they lend massively to either so they can't force their hand.

the prime difference between north and south from this perspective isn't average growth, China isn't looking at things like some pension fund. they want access to the good stuff, the same stuff that IMF demands countries to privatize or remove protections from when they get in trouble. and while they're waiting for opportunities, they might as well try to produce some of that good stuff themselves, like wouldn't it be nice to own a fat stake in the most important trade routes in some countries? of course the western press can't talk about things as they are because it'd reveal their countries' game and how much better and more cynical their position is: how anytime China gets a bit ahead somewhere, it's probably because they offered a better deal.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modest Mao posted:

Maybe the majority of debt in Africa could be held by other african nations

lol what level of Liberalism is this?

It doesn't matter who holds the debt, what matters are the conditions. The West gives you money and then asks you to cut social programs.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I seem to recall one North African country which was lending money to other African nations. Hmm, I wonder what ever happened to them.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

I seem to recall one North African country which was lending money to other African nations. Hmm, I wonder what ever happened to them.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Frijolero posted:

China: *unites African third world countries against imperialism by advancing their productive forces"

USA: *destroys African through colonialism, slavery, rape and neoliberal austerity programs for centuries*

liberals: Those are the same things because they both involve "investment"!

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Foxconn boss Terry Guo is not running. Kind of shocked about this one. If he is not running why did he quit KMT?

I thought his secret task was to pull the Tsai's vote below 50%.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol idiot protesters, they should just stop agitating against the only remaining true communist state on Earth

i never said that you stupid bitch. agitate all you want but stop expecting nations that have no material interest in helping you come to your aid. this poo poo is pure liberal stupidity. nobody in the world with actual power is even capable of aiding hong kong. china holds all the cards in this matter.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

tino posted:

Foxconn boss Terry Guo is not running. Kind of shocked about this one. If he is not running why did he quit KMT?

I thought his secret task was to pull the Tsai's vote below 50%.

he's gonna hook up with Ko's TPP

https://newbloommag.net/2019/08/06/tpp-party-formation/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

But 2019 is really the year of businessman-clown-comedian head of states. He totally has the chance to win as independent as long as he dial up the populism to 11 and just poo poo out whatever people like to hear. Not to mention Tsai is not popular and TW economy is in bad shape. I really think he miss the best chance to win.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Gou would have to get in line. Taiwanese politics are a mess right now. DPP headed by anemic incumbent. KMT nominee is populist clown mayor. NPP is fracturing. this new TPP was founded by a different populist clown mayor, formerly NPP-affiliated but now moving towards a crypto-pro-China position, hence why Foxconn businessman clown might join it. also there's the Formosa Alliance, which are pro-independence hardliners whose latest stunt is to claim the president's PhD dissertation was falsified

join the Taiwan Civil Government and claim the island is still under American military occupation, imo

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I was looking forward to the historic meeting of president slave driver meets president real estate con man.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i never said that you stupid bitch. agitate all you want but stop expecting nations that have no material interest in helping you come to your aid. this poo poo is pure liberal stupidity. nobody in the world with actual power is even capable of aiding hong kong. china holds all the cards in this matter.

has anyone figured out what the goal of the protests actually is

like they're yelling that they don't want china running hong kong but china already doesnt do that

so what do they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
They want trump annex hk.