Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
how do i delete my profile picture in twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fack you posted:

how do i delete my profile picture in twitter

turn your monitor off

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am sorry it was not a joke. but now that i know you were serious... well i have good news and bad news

good news: a blind mule could pass network+ just by mashing buttons with his nose. you're not going to have any problems there

bad news: for related reasons, network+ is completely worthless as a credential

I passed with an 820. I expected a lot more questions about subnets and many fewer about WiFi. I wish I could see exactly what I got right and wrong, but I'll be content to have passed.

I wouldn't say it's worthless but it's not going to change my tax bracket either.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

netwerk23 posted:

I passed with an 820. I expected a lot more questions about subnets and many fewer about WiFi. I wish I could see exactly what I got right and wrong, but I'll be content to have passed.

I wouldn't say it's worthless but it's not going to change my tax bracket either.

Please tell me you're at least getting comped by your employer for the fees?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

netwerk23 posted:

That's good though, youd end up taking home less!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

That's good though, youd end up taking home less!

aiee lmao

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Schadenboner posted:

Please tell me you're at least getting comped by your employer for the fees?

Yes, plus the $20 I spent on a study guide. Plus the time I spent at the test is considered at-work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netwerk23 posted:

it's totally worthless. the only job that could possibly care is like, best buy geek squad

if you want to be a network janitor, get your employer to pay for your ccnp or something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
network+ and security+ arent terrible material for a journeyman janitor imo

that said all certs are worthless. ive had RHCE, CCNA (from high school lol) and i currently have almost every single AWS cert including the weird ones like big data because work pays for them

and in the past 10 years literally no one has ever asked or cared once :cawg:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also cloud guru is pretty legit for study material

https://acloud.guru/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a file that's loving over windows, it's a movie, and it stalls when playing and locks up explorer when I try to copy it. its on a platter drive.

ive run chkdsk and it returns no errors, but it was a fast test for a 3tb drive.

how can I force windows or whatever to run a proper drive check, checking sectors for errors etc? or what tool would i use?

or should I just delete the file?

e: im currently running chkdsk /b /f /x
with the b hopefully looking for bad clusters. idk if thats what I should be looking for but welp

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 14, 2019

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

I have a file that's loving over windows, it's a movie, and it stalls when playing and locks up explorer when I try to copy it. its on a platter drive.

ive run chkdsk and it returns no errors, but it was a fast test for a 3tb drive.

how can I force windows or whatever to run a proper drive check, checking sectors for errors etc? or what tool would i use?

with the b hopefully looking for bad clusters. idk if thats what I should be looking for but welp

use the tool published by the drive manufacturer. seatools for seagate drives, windlg for western digital

back up anything sensitive on the drive before running this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

echinopsis posted:

The drive firmware stands between you and the actual disk sectors, and it keeps some number of reserve sectors to remap to when it has errors. SMART stats are your best bet for checking health here. Chkdsk will only see things after the remap sectors are exhausted, running it now may actively harm things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i put a pc speaker in my computer and it doesn't work. i hooked the speaker to an arduino and made it beep and stuff so it works, and the mobo manual says it'll work but it doesn't make any noise at all.

i even took the memory out and tried to boot because of course that'll cause some beeps, but nothing.

i hooked it up correctly, the polarity is correct, etc. there's nothing in the bios/efi to enable/disable the pc speaker, the manual just says install it and it'll beep.

mobo is a gigabyte ga-z87m-d3h. i've been having some random booting issues so i was hoping to get some beep codes to figure out what the possible problem is.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
you're motherboard is broken op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

you're motherboard is broken op

well yeah i already said it was a gigabyte mobo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im trying to set up some A records on dns settings for my website, and the setup thing tells me to make an a record with my "root domain"

what is my root domain? the url is http://rodtronics.design

the other times Ive set this up its worked fine, the websites told me exactly what to put in there,

the two records it wants me to do are A records, one for "www" and one for the "root domain" and both to the same IP

thanksyou for your advices

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes. www would be a CNAME. you only need one A record unless one of your subdomains actually points to a different ip

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

yes. www would be a CNAME. you only need one A record unless one of your subdomains actually points to a different ip

poo poo do I need to take some kind of networking course

i ended up putting literally . as the A record and also a www as an A record and both point at the same IP and at the moment rodtronics.design seems to be working

for now. it’s loading slow af. sure needs a lot of love

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

i ended up putting literally . as the A record and also a www as an A record and both point at the same IP and at the moment rodtronics.design seems to be working

the root (.) must be an a record, that's the rules

it doesn't matter whether you use a cname or an a record for the www

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a fuckin maze to me

I dont even know what a cname record vs an A naeme is

where can I earn my online certificate

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cnames are aliases that point to other A records (or nested cnames) in some cases. It makes long term maintenance easier because if you change ips you only need to update the one and everything else is pointed at it. You can make two a records and that is also valid, but if you’re managing a lot of domains it can get unwieldy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

DNS is pretty simple at the end of the day. The 3 important ones are A, cname, and mx. Mx records make sure your mail goes to the mail server for the domain instead of your web server despite them having the same name. If you understand those fundamentals, you can self-learn the rest pretty easy (start of authority, zones, SRV/TXT records, etc)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

you get 50 bucks of credit when you sign up a fastly account and we bill like $0.01/gig or so on average. you can run a hobbyist site forever for free on there basically. and since you have lots of images going on, caching will help you a lot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Cnames are aliases that point to other A records (or nested cnames) in some cases. It makes long term maintenance easier because if you change ips you only need to update the one and everything else is pointed at it. You can make two a records and that is also valid, but if you’re managing a lot of domains it can get unwieldy

Only downside is another DNS request to resolve the CNAME to the A record it points to, but who cares

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

Only downside is another DNS request to resolve the CNAME to the A record it points to, but who cares

If you're asking about the difference you are not in a situation where this matters lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you get 50 bucks of credit when you sign up a fastly account and we bill like $0.01/gig or so on average. you can run a hobbyist site forever for free on there basically. and since you have lots of images going on, caching will help you a lot

thanks for the hot tip friend :)

also sorry for being a dick a while ago to you. :/

e: I'm trying have a homepage for rodtronics, but there are many options, and I don't know what I'm doing lol. is it better to use a squarespace style thing, or try to put it together myself and host it on something like fastly? I guess just keep experimenting.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 15, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

thanks for the hot tip friend :)

also sorry for being a dick a while ago to you. :/

e: I'm trying have a homepage for rodtronics, but there are many options, and I don't know what I'm doing lol. is it better to use a squarespace style thing, or try to put it together myself and host it on something like fastly? I guess just keep experimenting.

the point of fastly is a distributed CDN cache, you'd use it in combination with something like squarespace or whatever lets you build your website, then you point fastly at THAT domain, and your REAL domain to Fastly, and now you get the benefit of the squarespace DIY site, but not having to pay them $$$$$$ for hosting, since you consolidate the content in the cache parent tier, and then pay a much much smaller rate to Fastly to do the lifting of last mile delivery

basically,

squarespace/et al. = DIY website tool is free, hosting is megabucks
Fastly = no webpage hosting themselves, but they take what squarespace gives you for free and take over for the actual serving of traffic, which they are wayyyyy cheaper at (cuz squarespace et al. make their $$ by overcharging for that portion)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok ok cool. I get it I think. I really like the squarespace tools but $30/month was
too much for the meagre income I’m generating from all of this. I’ll look into it, thankyou

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also i specifically threw that it out b/c you said your site was kind of slow and boy howdy having our turbo computers all over the planet with your images in SSD cache is fuckin quiiiiick

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
you'll still need squarespace to serve it a little, its just your GBs transferred will be cut in like, a half prolly if its low volume. the more volume you add tho, like if featured ina 10k like tweet and you get 'slashdotted' you'll owe not a single penny more to squarespace on the hosting part data transferred, cuz fastly just does that part. and you might owe like, a couple bucks worth of fastly for the rush of traffic.

basically it caps your costs, at this scale

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shitpost Delivery Network

pram
Jun 10, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Shitpost Delivery Network

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

also i specifically threw that it out b/c you said your site was kind of slow and boy howdy having our turbo computers all over the planet with your images in SSD cache is fuckin quiiiiick

it’ll definitely be an upgrade from what I have right now. especially if I can use the squarespace, and I want to serve up some poo poo like phone backgrounds etc too so thanks you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

ok ok cool. I get it I think. I really like the squarespace tools but $30/month was
too much for the meagre income I’m generating from all of this. I’ll look into it, thankyou

for dns, specifically, amazon aws is unbeatable

amazon route 53 has the worst gui i have ever used in my life to manage dns, but they charge me like $0.40/month to host a domain in a globally redundant infrastructure, so i put up with the worst-ever interface

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

Sniep posted:

you'll still need squarespace to serve it a little, its just your GBs transferred will be cut in like, a half prolly if its low volume. the more volume you add tho, like if featured ina 10k like tweet and you get 'slashdotted' you'll owe not a single penny more to squarespace on the hosting part data transferred, cuz fastly just does that part. and you might owe like, a couple bucks worth of fastly for the rush of traffic.

basically it caps your costs, at this scale

i don't work for fastly and i cannot endorse their service specifically but it is generally a good thing to have a cdn in front of your poo poo

any cdn will radically improve load times for folks in the u.s. / europe / japan / korea and make your life easier

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
my wife currently has a z87 motherboard with a Haswell i5 K of whatever variety, 4670K, i think.

anyway, after a recent move it stared to fail to POST, it would just spin up and spin down the fans repeatedly.

now, i had this problem before with an x48 board, i just cleared the cmos by removing the battery for a good long while, and it came back to life.

so i tried the same thing, and it worked. but when it rebooted to apply an update, it starting doing it again, and the cmos battery trick didn't work this time. so i did the standard stuff like remove everything but 1 ram stick, and even replaced the vga card that uses way less power than the gtx 580 in it previously, a 1050ti to rule out psu problems, short of replacing it itself, since i don't have a spare, with no luck, even with no vga card, just onboard.

so i tried again tonight, the cmos battery being removed for over a day now, and it worked, but only after i held in the vga card to make sure it was seated right. but the weird thing is, it was seated properly before when it failed last time, since it had the screw in, and it was in nice and tight,

i just want to know what caused this. did i not leave out the battery long enough on the second attempt which failed, about 30 minutes? i don't even know if the cmos battery had anything to do with it anyway since it failed a couple times(spun up and down) before holding in that vga card, when it worked finally.

is it the motherboard's mounting that got hosed up during the move, causing a short? because it looks fine to me, but that's the only thing i can think of since it failed even with just the onboard vga.

e: nobody has the slightest idea?

well at least i put off updates for 35 days so i have that much time to scrape up money for a replacement if it really dies. it even might be a good excuse to build a sweet 3950X rig. should be powerful enough to bottleneck the gpu powerhouse that is the 1050ti. who am i kidding? it’d be used for a QEMU/KVM rig so I can run every OS simultaneously, because when i get a hard drive containing information that’ll bring down the world’s elite, it’ll be HPFS and i need to be prepared.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 20, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

my wife currently has a z87 motherboard with a Haswell i5 K of whatever variety, 4670K, i think.

anyway, after a recent move it stared to fail to POST, it would just spin up and spin down the fans repeatedly.

now, i had this problem before with an x48 board, i just cleared the cmos by removing the battery for a good long while, and it came back to life.

so i tried the same thing, and it worked. but when it rebooted to apply an update, it starting doing it again, and the cmos battery trick didn't work this time. so i did the standard stuff like remove everything but 1 ram stick, and even replaced the vga card that uses way less power than the gtx 580 in it previously, a 1050ti to rule out psu problems, short of replacing it itself, since i don't have a spare, with no luck, even with no vga card, just onboard.

so i tried again tonight, the cmos battery being removed for over a day now, and it worked, but only after i held in the vga card to make sure it was seated right. but the weird thing is, it was seated properly before when it failed last time, since it had the screw in, and it was in nice and tight,

i just want to know what caused this. did i not leave out the battery long enough on the second attempt which failed, about 30 minutes? i don't even know if the cmos battery had anything to do with it anyway since it failed a couple times(spun up and down) before holding in that vga card, when it worked finally.

is it the motherboard's mounting that got hosed up during the move, causing a short? because it looks fine to me, but that's the only thing i can think of since it failed even with just the onboard vga.

e: nobody has the slightest idea?

motherboard is toast

it's pretty old, everything is "value engineered" to death, poo poo happens

Laslow posted:

well at least i put off updates for 35 days so i have that much time to scrape up money for a replacement if it really dies. it even might be a good excuse to build a sweet 3950X rig. should be powerful enough to bottleneck the gpu powerhouse that is the 1050ti. who am i kidding? it’d be used for a QEMU/KVM rig so I can run every OS simultaneously, because when i get a hard drive containing information that’ll bring down the world’s elite, it’ll be HPFS and i need to be prepared.

for the price of a ryzen 3xxx setup you can have a threadripper 2, after the price breaks. i'm just sayin'

p.s. linux can read hpfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've seen dodgy PSUs do a similar failure to boot loop if the the voltage is sagging during the initial power draw, usually from bad caps