Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I see Zaph is crushing it with his huge several paragraph takes and general inability to not have a confrontational conversation.

Second Galaxy is a fun EVE knock-off, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why aren't there more good mmos out there? Also if the game isn't literally Everquest or WoW it's not an mmo by my byzantine standards which I refuse to detail or expand on.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

ah, the people who think mmorpg means something other than a wow/everquest type game with abilities have arrived

I mean YouTube has been showing me Hearthstone videos under the channel heading of MMO so...

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

DancingShade posted:

Why aren't there more good mmos out there?

Lots of reasons. The two big ones are cost and design. Cost is well obvious. The design issue relates more to the fact the biggest issue with MMOs is also it's biggest draw: other people. Creating a ruleset where thousands of strangers need to be able to interact with each other while still enjoying a core gameplay loop is actually really loving hard. Which is why most "good" MMOs just do the WoW/EQ loop, since that's one of the few rulesets that actually works. Most games that strays too far from those design principles tends to go down the shitter pretty quickly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

Lots of reasons. The two big ones are cost and design. Cost is well obvious. The design issue relates more to the fact the biggest issue with MMOs is also it's biggest draw: other people. Creating a ruleset where thousands of strangers need to be able to interact with each other while still enjoying a core gameplay loop is actually really loving hard. Which is why most "good" MMOs just do the WoW/EQ loop, since that's one of the few rulesets that actually works. Most games that strays too far from those design principles tends to go down the shitter pretty quickly.

I was making a joke aimed at a certain poster the previous page who I didn't want to name. Joke ruined.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DancingShade posted:

Why aren't there more good mmos out there? Also if the game isn't literally Everquest or WoW it's not an mmo by my byzantine standards which I refuse to detail or expand on.

How about you explain why you think minecraft counts as an mmo instead of just making a dismissive statement like this? This adds absolutely nothing.

Disparaging others doesn't prove you're right.

The last part of this comment is hilariously ironic and hypocritical :ironicat: Would you please detail or expand on why you think this??

Not to mention, I DID expand:

Zaphod42 posted:

You have persistence in DayZ and Rust. You grow in wealth in DayZ and Rust. So how is it not at all?

Have you? Creepers aren't exactly an intense and rewarding enemy. There's no story and no quests.

Its a place to build castles and mine mines. Exploring the land is cool, but its all just basic procgen, its not that compelling on its own. Being able to build things with friends is what makes the game fun.

They didn't even have the ender dragon for a long time, and he's like the worst boss fight in the history of videogames. If it wasn't for the ability to build treehouses and castles out of legos, the game would get boring very fast.

Take wow, remove all quests, remove all skills, remove all classes, remove all raids and dungeons, and now you're approaching minecraft. But... those are the things that make an mmorpg.

Wow look at how everybody refuses to explain anything! How bizzare!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

To save MMORPGs, we must remove tab combat, themepark storylines, levels, and PvE-only zones.

Unfortunately, if we remove tab combat, themepark storylines, levels, and PvE-only zones, the game is no longer an MMORPG.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Only a bodhisattva can know what a good MMORPG is, this is why we are left with the illusion of suffering from bad mmorpgs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think we need to remove the other players to save the MMORPG genre, also the roleplaying.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow look at how everybody refuses to explain anything! How bizzare!

Maybe no one wants to talk to your insufferable rear end.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Kaysette posted:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Probably true.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Take wow, remove all quests, remove all skills, remove all classes, remove all raids and dungeons, and now you're approaching minecraft. But... those are the things that make an mmorpg.

none of these are needed to be an mmorpg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Senior Dog posted:

none of these are needed to be an mmorpg

So please explain your definition of an mmorpg. Saying "nope" doesn't add much. Why do you think that?

Ultimately, arguing over the meaning of a term is a semantic argument, but its worth getting on the same page.

E: Also, to go back to what started this, do you feel that ARK is an MMO or not? How about Fortnite?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 15, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Kaysette posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm gonna assume the person quoting me does. If I'm violating the rules, report me. Otherwise you're just ruining the thread.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

So please explain your definition of an mmorpg. Saying "nope" doesn't add much. Why do you think that?

Ultimately, arguing over the meaning of a term is a semantic argument, but its worth getting on the same page.

E: Also, to go back to what started this, do you feel that ARK is an MMO or not? How about Fortnite?

massively multiplayer online roleplaying game

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Tbh all The Next Great Mmo needs is decent, difficult combat, an actual sense of danger, distinct class designs and roles, player interdependence, and a big mysterious world that you can actually get lost in.

Why are all the devs and everyone except me so dumb

Fake edit: Before anyone says it, it should also not be developed by an opiate addict

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

retpocileh posted:

Tbh all The Next Great Mmo needs is decent, difficult combat, an actual sense of danger, distinct class designs and roles, player interdependence, and a big mysterious world that you can actually get lost in.

Why are all the devs and everyone except me so dumb

Fake edit: Before anyone says it, it should also not be developed by an opiate addict

The Secret World was sooooo cloooooose.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

retpocileh posted:

and a big mysterious world that you can actually get lost in

this "mystery" part that I see people talk about vanilla WoW a lot is loving impossible these days, where shortly after launch you are able to find every single secret/guide on youtube about it

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

frajaq posted:

this "mystery" part that I see people talk about vanilla WoW a lot is loving impossible these days, where shortly after launch you are able to find every single secret/guide on youtube about it

I see this sentiment expressed a lot, I don’t fully agree.

Take P99 - EQ launched 20 years ago, there’s a wiki, and yet it is still super easy to get lost in game and go around exploring finding random weird poo poo. It’s still super immersive, and mysterious.

Not having an in game map or mods that add one goes a long way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

The Secret World was sooooo cloooooose.

Playing Secret World to at least the conclusion of the main story should be mandatory for these discussions since so much boils down to why don't they do X instead of Y? Where X is "unpopular thing I think is cool" and Y is "popular thing I think is boring".

Secret World probably already did X and it turns out that outside of a niche group it's simply not a popular design decision for good reason. Certainly not the key to long term financial viability.

But you have to actually get what you want to discover why you don't really want it after all. Hence people should play Secret World.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DancingShade posted:

Playing Secret World to at least the conclusion of the main story should be mandatory for these discussions since so much boils down to why don't they do X instead of Y? Where X is "unpopular thing I think is cool" and Y is "popular thing I think is boring".

Secret World probably already did X and it turns out that outside of a niche group it's simply not a popular design decision for good reason. Certainly not the key to long term financial viability.

But you have to actually get what you want to discover why you don't really want it after all. Hence people should play Secret World.

The only thing that TSW had going for it was the story/setting. The mechanics at every single level were awful. But, god drat was it the raddest themepark you could slap an MMO in.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I had such high hopes for Secret World cause, again, it was something different and let me shoot stuff with a shotgun. Too bad the combat was another reskin of tab combat but the mysteries and settings were really fun.

I kind of wonder if Remnant From The Ashes could work as a MMO buuuutttttttttt that is just basically asking for Dark Souls the MMO.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really what I want is just an open world pvp game that's somewhat persistent. like I played tons of HellMOO back in the day. fights generally came down to who had stomach to grind, but that was because every fight evolved into a big brawl betweens corps and who had more of a gear stash since it was full loot pvp. i want someone to make a graphical mmo that gives me the rush of breaking into someones apartment with my friends and fighting off ten players + the NPC cops while we steal everything of value

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

DancingShade posted:

I was making a joke aimed at a certain poster the previous page who I didn't want to name. Joke ruined.

I am incapable of understanding humor that doesn't involve potatoes, killing Nazis, seizing the means of production, or a Siberian winter. Such is slav life. My apologies.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

I am incapable of understanding humor that doesn't involve potatoes, killing Nazis, seizing the means of production, or a Siberian winter. Such is slav life. My apologies.

All good. Nobody injured and if they were then neither of us know them. Time for a drink!

Toshimo posted:

The only thing that TSW had going for it was the story/setting. The mechanics at every single level were awful. But, god drat was it the raddest themepark you could slap an MMO in.

Pretty much. I loved TSW despite the gameplay by virtue of the story/setting. Examining it entirely on the core gameplay loop alone it was a complete failure.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Pretty much. I loved TSW despite the gameplay by virtue of the story/setting. Examining it entirely on the core gameplay loop alone it was a complete failure.

I think about that game way too loving often. It's probably the worst game I've thoroughly loved.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

They gave guild wars 2 an action mode that I thoroughly love. I wonder how many games got garbage tab combat just because WoW.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I feel like tab targeting is the biggest red herring in this thread.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

How is it a red herring? it thoroughly blows rear end.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I get it. You don't like it. But it's very popular and a lot of people do. It's not the thing keeping a good MMO from getting made, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's bad.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's really bad Toshimo. If an integral part of the game sucks ... The game sucks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, like what you like, but I've never seen an MMO that got passing marks in all the other areas, but fell down because of tab targeting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i literally only play ffxiv because it's the only mmo that constantly pushes out tons of fairly polished content and amazing music for my sub monies.

if a non-tab-target mmo did that, i'd go play that in an instant. hell, lately path of exile has been kicking it out of the fuckin park, so i might just go to that full-time instead. it's an amazingly fun game to play.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Toshimo posted:

I feel like tab targeting is the biggest red herring in this thread.
WoW, at least by wotlk era, did tab targeting quite well. I tend to prefer ARPG style click inputs, but WoW captures the ARPG feel with tab targeting. Probably because a significant portion of things are ground AoE or PBAOE and those transcend tab targeting, and a lot of the time you can hotkey targeting people (arena) or use the mouse+ui to target people (support in raids).

Tab also allows unparalleled accuracy in targeting. Especially when things are stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Did anyone play Everquest Online Adventures on PS2? Castle Lightwolf gang. I was in awe as a young teenager of the super loser friends from SOCOM1 that I played with who reached level 50 first. Seeing the WoW Classic first max level being watched by 350k reminded me about it.