Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheParadigm posted:

Presumably the magic is in the delivery routing. Pizzas still have to be made; when it comes out they send the car with them to yours first.
That still impacts other orders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It isn't possible that ol' Papa "gently caress the Blacks" John is lying, is it?

IS IT?!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys, it says "will not impact our regular timely delivery for all other orders."

It doesn't say it won't affect other orders at all. It's just saying other orders will still be delivered in whatever window they consider timely.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It says for ALL other orders. So only some people get hosed completely

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Getting hosed completely seems a bit like hyperbole

It's not relevant to me because I think papa john's is absolutely disgusting, they need a domino's style recipe redo. The only thing of theirs that's edible is the pickled pepper.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ashamedly like the garlic "butte"r

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What're the odds any of that money goes into the pocket of the driver or cook?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Skwirl posted:

What're the odds any of that money goes into the pocket of the driver or cook?

HAHAHAHA, that's a good one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

No Wave posted:

Getting hosed completely seems a bit like hyperbole

It's not relevant to me because I think papa john's is absolutely disgusting, they need a domino's style recipe redo. The only thing of theirs that's edible is the pickled pepper.

Yes, it was hyperbole. Also yeah, PJ is the worst pizza holy poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Again from the company that didn't want to give their employees health care because they'd have to raise prices 15 cents a pizza to pay for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hero

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1173348688896364545?s=19

Also probably didn't happen.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Owners are out of town for the weekend (well earned, I hope they're having a wonderful time) and I'm working on a 10 day stretch. I typically go in at 8 every morning, not bad at all under normal circumstances. Yesterday we had a strange day, with an early rush for a Saturday and then a huuuge dead patch, followed by big obnoxious wedding party that stiffed us on hundreds of dollars of shots and drinks right before shift change. I was beat, and I went home. About 8:30 I get a text, the closing server had a death in the family. Went back in to let her go be with her family and waited tables until 1 am. I didn't sleep for poo poo,
wife found me sleepwalking last night at the kitchen table trying to find the second round of drinks it ordered. Came back at 7 because we need to do extra prep because we've had a lot of last minute call-ins for big carry-out party orders this weekend. Waited tables solo while our biggest space cadet of a cook tends bar because the other scheduled employee is only 2 weeks deep as a new cook and half the staff asked the weekend off for weddings (the owner has a strong preference to never deny time off, instead opting to work shifts himself to cover typically). Got completely loving crushed, plus found out at 11:45 that our NFL Sunday ticket wasn't paid for this year and the owner didn't realize it last week because the 1st week is free every year. Have to try to seat and serve my first half dozen tables (coming in for the noon games!) while juggling remotes and technical support on the phone while dipshit behind the bar struggles to handle things like making more than one single bloody mary at a time and in less than 5 minutes. Absolute loving nightmare. Got the TVs squared away, the tables fed and watered and the shift over with. Felt like absolute garbage until a nap and a few beers. Five more days to go. Sorry, I needed to rant somewhere.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 16, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Owners taking a week off and making you work 10 days in a row is the exact opposite of "well earned"

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Owners taking a week off and making you work 10 days in a row is the exact opposite of "well earned"

The owner works seven days a week all year cleaning, bartending, serving, cooking, cleaning the grease trap and bathroooms, boiling out and scrubbing fryers, and much more to make sure his employees can take time off when they need it and not have to do gross poo poo like deal with the grease trap and bathrooms. He follows the golden rule of never asking anyone to do something he wouldn't do himself. He also only took the weekend off. He hands out cash to show appreciation because he knows a pat on the back doesn't buy groceries, and goes out and pays off employees' bills without any hesitation or expectation of repayment when they come to him in a bind. I had a lovely weekend because I'm the manager and have to take his place in his absence, but I won't poo poo talk this guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sounds like they need to hire more staff.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sounds like he's well meaning, but any business that only survives off the owner putting in 7 day (I'm assuming 80+ hour) weeks and has no proper coverage for if someone is out, isn't a solid business.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Discendo Vox posted:

How can it both put your order first and not effect other orders?

Because it's bullshit. They're not going to change anything but they'll happily dupe idiots who think it will.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Naelyan posted:

Sounds like he's well meaning, but any business that only survives off the owner putting in 7 day (I'm assuming 80+ hour) weeks and has no proper coverage for if someone is out, isn't a solid business.

We have the staff but they take advantage of his generosity. Three servers who claimed they had obligations in the group text and couldn’t cover came in briefly to party last night together and made a quick exit after one drink. At least the employees who came in to day drink this afternoon helped me out while they were there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How did you not gently caress those three in the ear when they came in, you doormat

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How did you not gently caress those three in the ear when they came in, you doormat

They didn’t leave because I was loving polite about it you dumb shitbag.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

So three other employees lied to you saying they couldn't help you at work during your 10 day stretch, then had the gall to show up at your restaurant while you were getting your rear end kicked for a drink, and you were polite about it and let them get away with it? But I'm the dumb shitbag lol

Also, who didn't leave? You said they bailed after a drink. Wtf are you even talking about

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 16, 2019

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If there was a time to tell someone to get out, it would be when they're an employee who comes in on a busy rear end night. I hope they tipped well at least.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Quabzor posted:

If there was a time to tell someone to get out, it would be when they're an employee who comes in on a busy rear end night. I hope they tipped well at least.

I can almost guarantee you they did not

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The meaning of that statement was that the reason they left was not my politeness, but my lack of it. I told them to help out or to gently caress off. That’s why they finished fast and left. I do see how my last post comes across as the opposite. Don’t loving call me a doormat though man, I needed a place to vent and one by one people are jumping down my throat like I didn’t try to do the best thing for my people and get poo poo on for it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The meaning of that statement was that the reason they left was not my politeness, but my lack of it. I told them to help out or to gently caress off. That’s why they finished fast and left. I do see how my last post comes across as the opposite. Don’t loving call me a doormat though man, I needed a place to vent and one by one people are jumping down my throat like I didn’t try to do the best thing for my people and get poo poo on for it.

Your posts made it seem like you just let these people take advantage of you while you do nothing about it but vent on the internet. I rescind my comment, it was my misunderstanding, sorry.

You need to make sure those fuckers are axed when the owner gets back, that poo poo is 100% completely unacceptable.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I understand how this is meant to be read now with your clarification.

Your "well deserved vacation" comment comes across as bootlicker-esque and it was assumed you were a doormat.

At any rate, get yourself some well deserved sleep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Did they call out on a shift they'd already been scheduled for, or did they say they couldn't come in on their day off?

Because those are 2 very different things and the only explanation they need for the latter is "I don't want to."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Did they call out on a shift they'd already been scheduled for, or did they say they couldn't come in on their day off?

Because those are 2 very different things and the only explanation they need for the latter is "I don't want to."

Reading it again it seems they said they couldn't cover extra shifts due to obligations. So maybe they don't deserve to be fired over it, but coming in to drink is a massive cock maneuver nonetheless.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I moved up to line cook after washing dishes for a year and a half.

It's been awesome and terrifying, but I think I'm through the worst of the transitional nightmare.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

It's been awesome and terrifying, but I think I'm through the worst of the transitional nightmare.

Congrats. A lot of it is intimidating and scary, but ends up being way easier than you initially thought.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Whoops, didn't realize I was posting in the middle whatever the gently caress this is.

Good rule of thumb is that the owner is always at fault, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Whoops, didn't realize I was posting in the middle whatever the gently caress this is.

Good rule of thumb is that the owner is always at fault, though.

It's just the thread as usual, no worries.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Congrats. A lot of it is intimidating and scary, but ends up being way easier than you initially thought.

Thank you, it's something I've been wanting for awhile.

After a couple weeks it's starting to slow down for me.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I make a lot of sandwiches right now.

People like those things apparently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've had jobs where I've realized I've been covering at least one shift every week for a couple months in a row and it both fucks up your ability to plan anything and makes you reluctant to even make plans (because I might get called in) and as a mental health thing I've said to myself "look, no matter what, I'm not covering any extra shifts this month." Given the OP working 10 days in a row so the owner can get a single weekend off when they're normally there every day of the week it sounds like scheduling is a complete poo poo show, so possibly some of the other employees were feeling that too.

I feel for you Oldsrocket, you're a nice person for taking all of that on yourself, but don't expect others to be willing to take the same burdens as you.

Especially servers, we are mercenary as gently caress.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

kittenmittons posted:

Congrats! I'm a short order cook at heart I think, I thrive on low-grade productive anger, iron-fisted control and constant chaos

Every dishwasher we've tried to train as a line cook has almost immediately no call no showed or hosed up drastically enough to get fired, so we're down to me, the occasional morning guy (who is quitting soon) and the dude that works my days off. Otherwise the line cook is whichever manager isn't doing prep and/or covering for a server that called out, I wish we could get someone worth a drat. One of the managers just put in his notice too. So that'll be fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

This is cool and good, listen and learn as much as you can and never agree to work ten days in a row.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Our scheduling is indeed a nightmare. Sat down with the owner over breakfast and consequences lie ahead. Also he made the weekend worth the trouble, which always feels good. Finally getting a decent night’s sleep worked wonders too. Sorry to have poo poo up the thread over it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Our scheduling is indeed a nightmare. Sat down with the owner over breakfast and consequences lie ahead. Also he made the weekend worth the trouble, which always feels good. Finally getting a decent night’s sleep worked wonders too. Sorry to have poo poo up the thread over it.

Consequences for who, the poo poo head coworkers? Also, this is literally what this thread is for my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Consequences for who, the poo poo head coworkers? Also, this is literally what this thread is for my dude.

Yeah, the three who came in to drink after claiming they were unavailable. If they were already drinking when they were asked to cover, it’s one thing, but coming in for drinks a few hours later is another. They all work day jobs, and two of them have given up over half their night shifts last two pay periods, so we’re going to have some conversations about whether or not they’re still really interested in working here. If they decide they want to stay and we have another problem with them, we’ll probably just cut them loose, though ultimately the owner is the one with final say on hiring and firing. The next two weeks schedule is written but this may affect their scheduled hours coming up too, probably based on how they handle the talking to.