Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want Vic to try to file a malpractice suit against Ty

using Nick.

It was the longest of cons, all to get full access to his trust fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I absolutely agree that Nick is a loving grifter, but if he'd been acting on good faith wouldn't this whole thing look pretty similar? Someone you like is being defamed on the internet, you have law experience so you recommend the lawyer you know in the relevant jurisdiction (I don't know where funimation is headquartered, but doesn't Vic and the individual plaintiffs all live in Texas?) And you offer to run a fundraiser to help them with legal fees.

They whole thing is a giant scam, but wouldn't most of it look pretty identical if Vic was a saint being unfairly accused of horrendous crimes? Up until the lawyers had to do any lawyering at least?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not sure what you're getting at

it's like asking if the community center kid's from Electric Boogaloo couldn't dance

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you're acting in good faith you probably wouldn't try and restrict the defendant's speech using a SLAPP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm wondering how you prove conflict of interest or malpractice from this. Vic, Nick and Ty all being taken to the cleaners would be an ideal outcome, but I don't know how we get there from here.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Basically saying you're only in this to make a woman shut up isn't a good look for Nick, but I'm not sure if it's possible for him to have a good look after that clip.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Justin_Brett posted:

Basically saying you're only in this to make a woman shut up isn't a good look for Nick, but I'm not sure if it's possible for him to have a good look after that clip.

normally he has to pay to do it and now he's getting paid

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't understand lawspeak and what goes on in a courtroom would probably give me a migraine, but I know enough about law and court to know that the system gets abused constantly. I despise that. I despise the fact that patent trolls take advantage of the system to gain a buck and hamper innovation. I despise the fact that people use the courts to shut others up. I hate the fact that a system designed to protect people is twisted and abused into a way to hurt people, and that it's done so with an alarming regularity.

So I just gotta say, this whole goddamn circus is amazing and makes me feel so good watching Vic's lovely suit get completely and utterly wrecked. I smile and chuckle to myself with glee when more and more tales of Ty Beard's utterly inept courtroom antics get mentioned. I have no horse in this race, I don't really like dubbed stuff (just my personal preference), and honestly I had never heard of any of the VA's in question before I found this thread but all the same I find myself rooting for the defendants to get the whole shebang dismissed and then get some hefty punitive fines added on just to drive home how bad an idea this 'sue 'em to shut 'em up' suit really was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1173582796612349953

"I've got to get it, you know."

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I'm wondering how you prove conflict of interest or malpractice from this. Vic, Nick and Ty all being taken to the cleaners would be an ideal outcome, but I don't know how we get there from here.

I looked for the tweet but can't find it in the threadnaught. And it's not in the mini thread about malpractice that ended on June 28th.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1144735936921690112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mallratcal posted:

I looked for the tweet but can't find it in the threadnaught. And it's not in the mini thread about malpractice that ended on June 28th.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1144735936921690112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
yeah but keep in mind that was pre-phone notary and forged signatures, lawtwitter's stance shifted quite a bit after the hellfiling on whether a malpractice case was possible

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I absolutely agree that Nick is a loving grifter, but if he'd been acting on good faith wouldn't this whole thing look pretty similar? Someone you like is being defamed on the internet, you have law experience so you recommend the lawyer you know in the relevant jurisdiction (I don't know where funimation is headquartered, but doesn't Vic and the individual plaintiffs all live in Texas?) And you offer to run a fundraiser to help them with legal fees.

They whole thing is a giant scam, but wouldn't most of it look pretty identical if Vic was a saint being unfairly accused of horrendous crimes? Up until the lawyers had to do any lawyering at least?

If Nick were acting in good faith the GFM would have been run by Vic beforehand, he would have referred Vic to someone who actually handles defamation cases instead of an idiot who only ever does estate work, and the lawsuit would have been primarily focused on Funimation/RT/various con heads instead of 2 women who are basically contractors.
So it basically falls apart instantly if you look at it for more than a couple seconds

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, slightly relevant question.

There is a shitshow court case of different proportions that will be a public trial around LA that I am interested in next year.

I am considering crowdfunding both a court transcript and a court sketcher. The court sketcher will have the directive to make everyone's heads cat heads. What would be the costs I should expect for multiple days?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Just you wait. Ty is going to move for a "bad court thingy" and then these vile females will pay!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bootcha posted:

There is a shitshow court case of different proportions that will be a public trial around LA that I am interested in next year.

I am considering crowdfunding both a court transcript and a court sketcher. The court sketcher will have the directive to make everyone's heads cat heads. What would be the costs I should expect for multiple days?

Talk to some lawyers to figure out how many days/hours/pages it will run, and then call the county courthouse to get some prices.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bootcha posted:

Bootcha shouldn't this be bear heads?

Real answer is on transcripts it depends on current workload, since they are all done after the fact anyway, you're just paying to speed it up.

Elissia posted:

If Nick were acting in good faith the GFM would have been run by Vic beforehand, he would have referred Vic to someone who actually handles defamation cases instead of an idiot who only ever does estate work, and the lawsuit would have been primarily focused on Funimation/RT/various con heads instead of 2 women who are basically contractors.
So it basically falls apart instantly if you look at it for more than a couple seconds

If the point were that Vic is trying to resolve an actual tort you would be right.

But since the point is to silence some ladies with first hand experience, and also to shame a larger population through abusive discovery; this seems right on target. Ty and Nick expect to get to discovery somehow. We'll see how this goes.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Rekieta hyping up something that will make transcript "pointless", whatever that means.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RubberLuffy posted:

Rekieta hyping up something that will make transcript "pointless", whatever that means.

It means "please don't read the transcript it makes Vic's side look bad and incompetent"

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Maybe they're going to sue someone else in the meantime. Seems like a useful move... direct the horde's attention to something that's not dying. "We need ur money to own the sjw lib cucks."

I'm pretty certain he can't actually appeal until the court issues it's decision so he can appeal agains the specific points in the decision? IDK though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

Maybe they're going to sue someone else in the meantime. Seems like a useful move... direct the horde's attention to something that's not dying. "We need ur money to own the sjw lib cucks."

I'm pretty certain he can't actually appeal until the court issues it's decision so he can appeal agains the specific points in the decision? IDK though.

Maybe he'll try to hype up a potential case against Sabat and Schemmel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe he'll try to hype up a potential case against Sabat and Schemmel.

It'll be interesting to see Vic being forced to pay sancations twice on anti-SLAPP. Nick's going to put Vic in the poorhouse.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

SoftNum posted:

That's 100% accurate.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1174057292729323526?s=19

quote:

On Sept. 17, 11 days after the hearing, Chupp called attorneys for both sides to his courtroom and ordered them to mediate by Oct. 3.  If mediation is not successful, he told the lawyers, he would rule on all outstanding orders the following day.

Chupp also handed out some of the threats of violence against him and others that were referred to him by the Fort Worth Police Department after his Sept. 6 hearing.

One email read: Hello, I just wanted to let you know that judge Chupp is a braindead moron and I sincerely hope someone accuses him of rape. You are the cause of school shootings ... suicides ... hate and violence. Judge Chupp just let a group of open criminals go free, shame on your kangaroo court. When people start uprising I hope your court is the first thing targeted.

One series of tweets included: "Disillusioned -- the strong reminder that justice only leaves the barrel of a gun." and "When the state fails to defend its citizens, it's only natural that the citizens take care of themselves. It would be a justified kill, and the person doing it can even get annulled for the act of killing and found not guilty for murder."

Chupp called on both sets of attorneys to refrain from inciting their supporters.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Vic really has this case right where he wants it!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Gee, I wonder which sides supporters could be giving death threats to the judge.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

looking forward to oct 4th, there's got to be absurd mediation done to get ty and vic to back down in under 3 weeks. i'm guessing a certain youtube channel was suspiciously quiet due to the lawyers getting called into this urgent meeting

e: i am fond of the current theory that this is a way for vic to be forced to see what the damages are in detail outside of ty convincing him it's fine

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 17, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

LMAO this keeps getting better! Who could have foreseen that threatening the judge was going to piss him off?!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: i am fond of the current theory that this is a way for vic to be forced to see what the damages are in detail outside of ty convincing him it's fine

I like this theory very much.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 17, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yep, Greg Doucette's take
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1174075026192130048
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1174078711018250242
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1174078714537238528

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry in advance if I misunderstand things here, it's been a couple of hectic few days and all, but now the judge is giving Vic an out? Like I'm guessing he still has to pay legal fees and junk for everyone involved, but is the gist of it that if Vic and his clowns opt to retract the 5 remaining claims, he basically gets off "light"?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Sorry in advance if I misunderstand things here, it's been a couple of hectic few days and all, but now the judge is giving Vic an out? Like I'm guessing he still has to pay legal fees and junk for everyone involved, but is the gist of it that if Vic and his clowns opt to retract the 5 remaining claims, he basically gets off "light"?
they have to reach an agreement with the other parties. read it as more "sort this out before i do it for you" and relies on ty being aware this is a lifeline and not a win

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

It's more like the judge going "Hey, instead of dragging this out with appeals/continuing on any surviving claims to only lose in summary judgment, why don't all sides just settle things off the record and bury the hatchet, so that this is resolved quicker, so that they may be less damages to the plaintiff, and so that way Vic can be made fully aware of the consequences of going forward".

The defendants can totally say "gently caress no, pay me $$$$", etc. I also suspect that this

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
From how I understand it, they’re being thrown a lifeline yes.

If they’re as dumb as they have been though, they’ll think this is a victory for them and keep going straight into the pit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they have to reach an agreement with the other parties. read it as more "sort this out before i do it for you" and relies on ty being aware this is a lifeline and not a win

Considering they took the TCPA response extension as a win and did gently caress all with it, I sincerely doubt ty will be self-aware enough to plead with defense for leniency-the only way anything occurs is if ty fears enough for the risk of sanctions or if Vic becomes self-aware enough to try to end this himself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The grift also kind of relies on stubbornly pressing forward.

A compromise is effectively an admission you aren’t fighting anymore

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, got it. Basically the Judge sorta nudging so that Ty/Vic pursue an out-of-court settlement (which just screams out "guilty as poo poo" in my admittedly lackluster experience) of sorts, right?

Also sorta might work as a reminder so as to nip any other potential lawsuit BS in the bud that Vic was likely eyeing to pursue down the road.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wark Say posted:

Ah, got it. Basically the Judge sorta nudging so that Ty/Vic pursue an out-of-court settlement (which just screams out "guilty as poo poo" in my admittedly lackluster experience) of sorts, right?

Also sorta might work as a reminder so as to nip any other potential lawsuit BS in the bud that Vic was likely eyeing to pursue down the road.

its this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
As predicted

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1174090846121185280

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
How does a mediation like this work? Is it just the lawyers for both sides try to hash it out, or is there an actual neutral third-party mediator that can tell the judge that it was Vic's side that hosed up the mediation (as will inevitably be the case)?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The lawyers try to negotiate a settlement which, at this point, will probably be along the following lines:

- Vic drops remaining claims
- Vic pays a smaller amount of damages than he woukd if case continued
- Defendants can move on with their lives rather than have this hanging over them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Considering how stupid Vics lawyers are and will think this is good I expect it to go on until the Judge has to step in. At which point they get roasted.