Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A friend of mine finished all 3 routes now and his general feeling is:

Golden Deer: Actually explains the story, he didn't like the characters
Black Eagles: Best characters, worst part 2, wishes he didn't play it first
Blue Lions: Basically a different game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tired Moritz posted:

How many A ranks does Sylvain actually have compared to everyone else? Maybe he's just aggressively unfuckable.

Edit: Sylvain can only marry 3 bisexuals and the straightest woman of Fodlan. Not sure what that means.

Sylvain's own self-stated goal is to make himself the most unfuckable man in Fodlan. He in his support with Dimitri, literally says [spoilers]that he has spent years honing his skills for a situation of "Make a woman not interested in you."[/spoilers] the only women who... he doesn't act in such a way towards are the ones whom have no interest in him and he has in interest in. Bernie, Annette and Marianne.

Like his entire support with Annette Is him feeling like an rear end in a top hat for having such an easy time with the magic problems she was studying when he just has a knack for it. And his main way to try to downplay his own accomplishments and make Annette think less of him is simultaneously flirt while claiming he got lucky. It also... gives you the perspective on who he is. He hates the stifling feelings of expectations on him, which is compounded by his family's obsession with crests. He'd rather people think he's stupid and a skirt-chaser then have them have expectations of him.

Three Houses is generally pretty good at introducing a character and their 'gimmick' and then twisting that gimmick around. Like Hubert and Lorenz.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

Three Houses is generally pretty good at introducing a character and their 'gimmick' and then twisting that gimmick around. Like Hubert and Lorenz.

Did they really twist Hubert around? I feel like his gimmick was played extremely straight the whole game.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah Hubert is basically exactly who you think he is, which is great.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

Did they really twist Hubert around? I feel like his gimmick was played extremely straight the whole game.

The deeper layer to Hubert is realizing that he knows he's the teleporting (why doesn't his spell list have warp, he does it in story several times!) evil dark mage henchman to the Emperor and hams up the whole thing because he finds everyone's reaction to a fellow schoolkid acting like any other FE dark-mage-henchman hilarious.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

professor metis posted:

Yeah Hubert is basically exactly who you think he is, which is great.

the cutscene where he confesses his love to Edelgard is so hugely funny because its just like.... yep. could have seen that one coming Hubie.

now enjoy your forced spy-games relationship with Dorothea, oh loyal servant

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the deeper layer to Hubert is realizing just how much Hubert relishes being an evil goon

he's one of my favorite characters :allears:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The twist with Hubert is that he's a blatantly evil vizier that's actually loyal rather than a backstabbing snake out for himself.

He's the worst and I love him. :allears:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hubert is a good boy

maybe even the best boy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

How many A ranks does Sylvain actually have compared to everyone else? Maybe he's just aggressively unfuckable.

Edit: Sylvain can only marry 3 bisexuals and the straightest woman of Fodlan. Not sure what that means.

Sylvain has Issues that stop him from being able to form meaningful relationships with women. Of course half of those issues are "sylvain is a piece of poo poo" so

he does have a shitload of b ranks though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

The twist with Hubert is that he's a blatantly evil vizier that's actually loyal rather than a backstabbing snake out for himself.

He's the worst and I love him. :allears:

I love how in the final edelgard painting there's her all majestic and surrounded by light and off in the corner is hubert hissing in a tiny cloud of evil

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sylvain's paired ending with Felix literally mentions that they Pass away on the same day because they can't live without one another

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

So, after playing through a bit more of Church pt 2, I have to conclude that Byleth's reputation for being a stellar tactician is entirely because of other people filling in what they think she's saying.

Seteth asked what we should do next, and I was like "hey lets go back to the monastery" because joke option and that's what you do gameplay-wise :v: and he went "What? What are you talking abou... wait, are you saying we should pretend we're retreating, then sneak attack Enbarr?? That's ingenious!!!"

seteth railroads the poo poo out of you and it's hilarious

"i'd like to go through the kingdom, confront the bad guys and maybe liberate some of it along the way"

"no that's stupid, we're going through the alliance and conquering the fort that nobody has ever conquered since the dawn of time, this is called strategy"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sylvain's paired ending with Felix literally mentions that they Pass away on the same day because they can't live without one another

Pretty sure my ending said something like they lived apart until at one day, Felix' sword was laid upon Sylvain's doorstep (cuz he ded) which kinda pissed me off, not gonna lie, after their A support

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i've played through this game twice and had no idea ingrid had a relic(because i only had dorothea when i did her paralogue)

ingrid where were you hiding this fuckin thing

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Next to that stick up her rear end.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ah yes, the Rance of Lúin

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Pretty sure my ending said something like they lived apart until at one day, Felix' sword was laid upon Sylvain's doorstep (cuz he ded) which kinda pissed me off, not gonna lie, after their A support

Because that’s their non BL ending.

They only get a happy ending in BL. :(

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

HenryEx posted:

They have different endings outside of Blions. They only get a happy ending together if you pair them on Blue Lions, otherwise you get the depressing ending you got.

e:f,b

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

It’s not really a twist imo, but it kinda does turn things around a tad when you do his Byleth support chain and find out that most of the reason he obsessively hovers over her and is willing to do anything to protect her is because he blames himself for the whole “horrific experiments” thing and is basically doubling down because he’s constantly trying to prevent her getting hurt again.

But also Hubert absolutely owns the dark mage aesthetic and it’s pretty great

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Are there route-specific critical hit lines? I don't remember hearing Byleth's "Here is something to believe in!" my first time around.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Not as far as I'm aware. I've heard him say it on multiple runs so I don't think there are.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

He's played straight but also built upon. For example, it becomes apparent that one of the major reasons he's such a competent advisor is that because he works for the benefit of another instead of his own advancement like characters in his position often do he strives to understand his allies' strengths and accommodate their needs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ROFL Octopus posted:

Has anyone used Grappler instead of “upgrading” to War Master.

One one hand War Master has better strength, Axefaire, and a substantial crit bonus.

On the other hand, Grappler has slightly better speed and Fierce Iron Fist you get for mastering the class looks ridiculously off the chain. Grappler also happens to be an Advanced foot class with 6 movement.

If you are doing maddening NG+, it might be worth it to master War Master just to have super Quick Riposte for NG+.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

He's played straight but also built upon. For example, it becomes apparent that one of the major reasons he's such a competent advisor is that because he works for the benefit of another instead of his own advancement like characters in his position often do he strives to understand his allies' strengths and accommodate their needs.

Someone at work reports into someone he's worked with for maybe... 20 years? They've worked together across multiple companies and multiple countries, but he was always reporting into this guy. They've both moved up through the ranks but always the same working relationship. I asked him if he was sick of it and he said "Some people are number ones and some people are number twos. I know how to make him better at his job, he knows how to make me better at my job. If we didn't have each other we'd both be worse off"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I kinda really like Felix and Sylvain's non-BL ending because it stimulates the "woah badass and mysterious" part of my brain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hubert's my one regret for choosing the lions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, some of the maps in this game would be pretty rough even on Hard if it weren't for Warp and Stride. BE-E Chapter 14 comes to mind: Nader and the Almyran Wyvern squad, with their army of Bow Knights, are a lot to handle. Of course you can Stride/Warp someone over to merc Claude ASAP but if you didn't have those options I bet it'd be a pretty tough fight. For my run I treated defeating Claude as pulling the ripcord and just tried to hang in there as long as I could before ending it.

I'd love to see how that map is on Maddening.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hubert also gets major points for caring about the rest of the Beagles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hubert is a cool dude and I made him a Dark Bishop for a while just so he could wear his rad time skip consume in battle. It helps that he, like Lysithea, gets nothing out of Warlock.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
One reason I like BL is because it’s the one route where Annette and Gilbert/Gustave can have a happy ending together as father and daughter. It’s a really touching ending. Also what’s up with people from the Kingdom changing their names I.e Catherine and Gilbert?

I’m still mad that I got Felix/Dorothea instead of my gay romance in Felix/Sylvain in my BL run.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

jimmydalad posted:

One reason I like BL is because it’s the one route where Annette and Gilbert/Gustave can have a happy ending together as father and daughter. It’s a really touching ending. Also what’s up with people from the Kingdom changing their names I.e Catherine and Gilbert?

I’m still mad that I got Felix/Dorothea instead of my gay romance in Felix/Sylvain in my BL run.

isn’t Catherine actually a wanted woman under her real name in the Kingdom and that’s why she goes by Catherine while living at Garreg Mach

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Man, the timeskip on BE-E is really lacklustre huh. Although the attack on the monastery was a cool fight. punched the pope at last

Ashe and Caspar's B support is one of the best things I've seen :3: :catdrugs:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m aware. I just find it funny how everyone who has a name change that isn’t some dragon person/saint is associated with Faerghus. Funny coincidence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jimmydalad posted:

Gilbert did it out of shame and to hide.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

alf_pogs posted:

the cutscene where he confesses his love to Edelgard is so hugely funny because its just like.... yep. could have seen that one coming Hubie.

now enjoy your forced spy-games relationship with Dorothea, oh loyal servant

That's the one thing I didn't like about Hubert, he's way more interesting if he's just El's friend and believes in her ideals instead of being in love with her. Of course since A supports have to be romantic it's shoved in now, but I feel its the one thing that weakens his character.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
A ranks don't necessarily have to be romantic. Seteth and Flayn, Annette and Gilbert's aren't (for obvious reasons). Alois has no romantic A supports with anyone because he's already married. Felix's A rank with Leonie is platonic too. Which just makes some of the romantic paired ending choices in this game even weirder because they seem set up for a platonic ending then veer off into creepy-town.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Alois has an A rank ending with Mercedes where he becomes completely fearless after getting over his fear of ghosts :black101:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eimi posted:

That's the one thing I didn't like about Hubert, he's way more interesting if he's just El's friend and believes in her ideals instead of being in love with her. Of course since A supports have to be romantic it's shoved in now, but I feel its the one thing that weakens his character.

It was especially hilarious to me because I got that support after Hubert and Ferdinand’s A+ support, which features them exchanging gifts while blushing for half the support.

Then again, he did specify it was the identity of the woman he loved...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

S ranks for everyone was just a better system mechanically, even if it was only used for straight relationships. I preferred more platonic support chains that could turn romantic, or had only undertones, to what we got. Also would allow you to lock in your paired endings and spare the weirdness of someone gets like 4 A ranks and proposes 4 times.