Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

jeez future foundation got cancelled already and i hadn't even gotten the chance to read it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parallax posted:

jeez future foundation got cancelled already and i hadn't even gotten the chance to read it yet

If you weren't buying it that's part of the reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Parallax posted:

i dont doubt it happened, but where did you see this

e:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/14/marvel-comics-cancels-their-future-foundation/ posted:

Sadly, despite some strong reviews, Bleeding Cool understands from a recent writers summit, that the series has been cancelled by Marvel Comics. Currently, only two issues have been published so far, but I understand the decision was made soon after the publication of the first issue a month or so ago.

oh

site fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 14, 2019

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

It was going to be my new favorite book after they canceled Superior Spider-Man but gently caress me I guess.

Rip professor murder bird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marvel loves to trim my pull list for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im enjoying how ellis' secret avengers seems to be a series of one-and-done stories, and multiple artists mean we can get aja on a shang-chi story and move right into stuff like this

and then the next issue is maleev

site fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 15, 2019

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Lucca Blight posted:

Speaking of Civil War 2, I can't remember for the life of me what the deal was with that one lady that Uylesses predicted was going to blow up by some office building.

Off hand I remember Captain Marvel having the lady in an interrogation room talking about how she was clean as was her briefcase. I've tried Google and wiki'ing it to no avail. Does anyone recall what that was ultimately about?

This is second hand since I actively avoided reading anything Secret Empire. I was told this answer was revealed in the pages of Captain America. The innocent woman with the non-bomb was actually a Hydra agent. Hydra Cap, knowing about Ulysses power, needed a way to avoid being found out by his visions. He also wanted to discredit Ulysses by making him get the future wrong. To that end, Cap concocted and ordered the bomb plot to really occur. Right before the lady was supposed to bring the bomb to work, she was ordered to remove it from her briefcase. Through the hazy logic of future probabilities this somehow worked. A vision was triggered, and she was arrested for a crime she didn't commit.

This had the added "benefit" of putting another win in Carol's column in Civil War II. She hadn't actually detained an innocent woman without the slightest shred of evidence. She was correct in ferreting out a Hydra spy despite her dogged insistence on that being entirely irrational and unproven. It was the heroes insisting on due process who were wrong. Thanks, Nick Spencer...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would just prefer no one ever mention Carol's characterization in Civil War 2 ever again just how no one mentions Tony running a fuckin gulag in the first one.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I still wear my Tony was right shirt regardless.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Astribulus posted:

This is second hand since I actively avoided reading anything Secret Empire. I was told this answer was revealed in the pages of Captain America. The innocent woman with the non-bomb was actually a Hydra agent. Hydra Cap, knowing about Ulysses power, needed a way to avoid being found out by his visions. He also wanted to discredit Ulysses by making him get the future wrong. To that end, Cap concocted and ordered the bomb plot to really occur. Right before the lady was supposed to bring the bomb to work, she was ordered to remove it from her briefcase. Through the hazy logic of future probabilities this somehow worked. A vision was triggered, and she was arrested for a crime she didn't commit.

This had the added "benefit" of putting another win in Carol's column in Civil War II. She hadn't actually detained an innocent woman without the slightest shred of evidence. She was correct in ferreting out a Hydra spy despite her dogged insistence on that being entirely irrational and unproven. It was the heroes insisting on due process who were wrong. Thanks, Nick Spencer...

i dont remember that at all but it sounds like bendis to ignore something someone else did

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

i dont remember that at all but it sounds like bendis to ignore something someone else did
In this situation it would have been Nick Spencer retconning Bendis's story a year or two after the fact so it's not exactly Bendis ignoring something unless you think he's also Ulysses and had a precognitive vision of all of the goofy poo poo Spencer planned on cramming into Secret Empire.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
fair

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Didn’t The Watcher Uatu invite Ulysses to join the cosmic pantheon of immortal beings? Even though he didn’t even get the plot prediction right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

Didn’t The Watcher Uatu invite Ulysses to join the cosmic pantheon of immortal beings? Even though he didn’t even get the plot prediction right?

It was Eternity but yes

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

But why

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i am extremely sideeyeing this pakistani woman who, turns out is a human ied in secret avengers

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Why do you all insist on reminding me of the worst parts of Civil War II, like I had completely forgotten that Ulysses existed much less what a ballpiss character he was and all the ways Bendis broke his own spine bending over backwards to fluff up his super precious OC Do Not Steal, and yet here y'all are. Just. Just mentioning it. Like no big deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

Why do you all insist on reminding me of the worst parts of Civil War II
What were the good parts?

Honest question, since I didn't read it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

Why do you all insist on reminding me of the worst parts of Civil War II, like I had completely forgotten that Ulysses existed much less what a ballpiss character he was and all the ways Bendis broke his own spine bending over backwards to fluff up his super precious OC Do Not Steal, and yet here y'all are. Just. Just mentioning it. Like no big deal.

Look we remind people of Avengers #200 all the time

you knew we were scorpions when you picked us up, BrianWilly

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

all the ways Bendis broke his own spine bending over backwards to fluff up his super precious OC Do Not Steal, and yet here y'all are.

Okay not defending Civil War II here but this is basically useless as a criticism considering how, like, every author does this exact thing and the only difference is how well it's executed.

Also the idea that Bendis was really into Ulysses and wanted him to be a major fixture into the Marvel Universe instead of a plot device to be written out immediately at the end of the event feels like a presumption. I admit I could be wrong and will retract that if he's said otherwise but nothing about Ulysses screamed "I love this character and he'll be around forever".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What were the good parts?

America Chavez smacked Carol in the face with a chair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tony stark died and we got ironheart

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Why does he even have a costume lol. It’s not like he’s strong or knows how to fight.

Edit: I will say his cape is fabulous and his booty is thicc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billzasilver posted:

Why does he even have a costume lol. It’s not like he’s strong or knows how to fight.

Edit: I will say his cape is fabulous and his booty is thicc

He's an inhuman right? I think that's just how they dress.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Okay not defending Civil War II here but this is basically useless as a criticism considering how, like, every author does this exact thing and the only difference is how well it's executed.
He's got a great point, it's why I've never been able to get into any character ever until they're at least a few decades old, because before that it's an obnoxious Mary Sue expy self-insert OC Donut Steel character that the creators need to SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT. It's why Lee/Kirby FF was unquestionably the worst FF comics, because they just wouldn't stop cramming characters they were just so loving proud of in our faces and trying to make them seem so badass. And don't get me started on Hellboy/BPRD, sometimes I wonder why Mignola couldn't get over himself and just write a loving Batman comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bendis' original characters tend to be loving awesome. Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams. Ulysses is probably a miss (never read a comic with him excepta couple CWII tie ins where he is only in a panel or 2), but whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bendis should be executed by a firing squad for the crime of writing a new character

Skwirl posted:

Bendis' original characters tend to be loving awesome. Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams. Ulysses is probably a miss (never read a comic with him excepta couple CWII tie ins where he is only in a panel or 2), but whatever.

A simple google search reveals that Ulysses transcends humanity and leaves to be never heard from again. Clearly a character Bendis desperately wanted to shove down everybody's throats for years to come.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ulysses was bad because he was created for an event, which Bendis is really bad at doing (House of M, Secret Invasion, etc). Miles, Jessica, and Riri are all great because they were characters first, and his very decompressed writing style turns out to be pretty well-suited for introducing readers to who characters are beyond the demands of the plot.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Why was Ulysses so goddamn great anyways? Big whoop, you can see the future. In a multiverse who basically every possible alternate future on every possible earth both exists and don't exist at the same time, that doesn't seem like a big deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why was Ulysses so goddamn great anyways? Big whoop, you can see the future. In a multiverse who basically every possible alternate future on every possible earth both exists and don't exist at the same time, that doesn't seem like a big deal.

He was also almost always either wrong or his visions left out enough context to the point of being useless.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Argue posted:

Ulysses was bad because he was created for an event, which Bendis is really bad at doing (House of M, Secret Invasion, etc).

I'm prepared to forgive him for a lot because of that page at the end of an issue of Siege where Norman Osborn looks up and we see Cap's thrown shield getting steadily closer in the reflection of his faceplate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, it's as if we've never met before or something 'cuz I feel like y'all are under the impression that I don't have a multi-paragraph essay specifically prepared to complain about something that annoys me in comics in utter intricate detail that I will cheerfully relay for everyone given even the most meager of rationales so yip yip fuckers here we go

Ulysses is Geldoff. He's Matthew Malloy. He's that one kid in that one Ultimate X-Men story that Bendis wrote who killed people in his town before Wolverine was forced to kill him. He is a literal running gag, Bendis' oldest, trickest, poniest pony that Bendis keeps on trying pull out like it's shiny and new and innovative except that it's old and irritating at this point and never even worked all that well in the first place. He's Bendis showing up at four different parties held at four different months and telling the hook hand killer urban legend at all of them to anyone within earshot, convinced that it's the coolest story that no one has ever heard before, while in fact everyone is just too polite to correct him.

Ulysses/Geldoff/Malloy/random boy is the guy who suddenly, out of the blue, manifests dangerous or outrageous powers that he can't control and then spends the entire rest. Of his panel time. Shouting things like "I didn't want this!" "Get away from me!" "I don't understand!" "You can't help me!" nonstop like we didn't hear him the first seven pages.

Ulysses is Bendis' personal "trolley problem" except that he doesn't actually have any satisfying solutions for the problem or anything particularly interesting to even depict about it, so the end result is usually that Bendis solves it by cheating. In Ulysses' case that means he literally ascends to another plane of being out of loving nowhere so that the heroes don't actually have to deal with him anymore now that the event has reached the amount of issues that it needs to reach. In Malloy's case Bendis utilizes time travel so that nothing ever actually happened in the first place. Again, don't have to think about actually dealing with any philosophical or ethical issues that you keep invoking if you just have the problem magically go away, right?

But we'll see this Ulysses character again, you can count on that. What, you really think Bendis is done with him? You think he's actually gone? Please, I can already envision the scene in DC Comics where Superman is just trying to help some guy whose dangerous powers are just kersploding everywhere -- he's got shaggy unkempt hair, a bit of stubble, he's dressed like a college student, his name is some boring guy name like "Richard" or "Shawn" -- and he just won't calm down because his powers are soooo overwhelming and you just don't understaaaaaand he just haaaaaas to freak out and put everyone in danger so Superman has to wrestle so haaaard with having to kill him or have him kill other people and in the end, I dunno, aliens from another Earth drop out of the sky and abduct Richard Shawn so the problem gets solved without the heroes actually doing anything at all. This takes six issues to happen.

After all, he's Bendis' precious OC Do Not Steal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's not a character it's a plot device and Bendis definitely has some plot devices I don't like,

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I feel like the goal posts have moved from the initial

"Bendis tries to suck his own dick by creating OC Don't Steal precious character, why does he cram these new characters IN OUR FACES"

to

"Bendis tries to suck his own dick by re-using a plot device four times over twenty years"

which sure, he definitely has gone to the "character gets powers they don't understand thrust upon them and handles it terribly" several times, but so has like... the superhero genre? Maybe I'm missing some interviews or tweets where Bendis lords over how brilliant these stories are and how proud he is to have come up with this incredibly clever idea and how no one has ever done it and it's his, all his! If he hasn't, you've picked up on something that does happen repeatedly, but built an entire rich pathological backstory for how much you hate this 'OC Don't Steal' or "Mary Sue" or "Deus Ex Machina" or "Femme Fatale" or "Roman a Clef" because it's not like any of these terms mean anything except I think they're all mean!

I get why you don't like this story but making it into a weird BENDIS thing is like complaining about how Ed Brubaker brings people back from the dead, ol' Ed Brubaker believes he invented bringing characters back from the dead and he's so loving smug and proud that he's brought characters back from the dead, it's his only trick, no one else does it but loving BRUBAKER acts like he's literally resurrecting real people with his smug loving face every time he brings back his OC Don't Steal concept of someone being back from the dead. gently caress just imagining it makes me want to punch a hole through this window! Don't think I don't have at least 4,000 words on deckington about how I am against the death penalty for any crime besides "hiring Ed Brubaker to write" because I do! You'll all be sorry!

It's a lot of weird projection. One valid criticism is that none of the times that Bendis has done this story has the cover been this:

Which is at least more eye-catching.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BrianWilly posted:

After all, he's Bendis' precious OC Do Not Steal.

I don't think you can be both a "precious OC" and a throwaway plot device. I think the only one of the characters you've cited who's even appeared again after their initial arc was Geldof, whose 616 counterpart was mostly written by Dan Slott.

Also, this is a much broader nit to pick, but aren't terms like "OC" and "Mary Sue" kind of odd terms to shoe-horn into discourse about a medium where writers are very, very likely to be working with a mix of pre-existing and new characters anyway? If someone is assigned to or simply decides to make a new character to join the X-Men or fight Spider-Man or whatever, they aren't going to be like, "let me invent some dipshit who sucks"-- of course we want them to try to make an interesting, likable character!

It just seems like a kind of antiquated way of slamming on fan-fiction, a line of attack which has always seemed to have kind of a misogynistic air to it-- "<x> isn't writing like a real comic book writer, he's writing like a drat girl."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"OC" and "Mary Sue" are terms people use when they don't like what a writer is doing, but don't just want to say that outright, and are utterly meaningless.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Spoilers for the JJ/Henry Abrams Spider-Man book have started to leak.

If the following report from Bleeding Cool is true...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/16/major-spoiler-spider-man-1-jj-abrams-henry-sara-pichelli/

...The lead is Ben Parker, Peter's son.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

"OC" and "Mary Sue" are terms people use when they don't like what a writer is doing, but don't just want to say that outright, and are utterly meaningless.

Unless we’re talking about Mantis.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Bendis create Riri Williams because he and his wife had adopted a child, and they wanted the child to be able to see herself, and those like her, represented in comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Didn't Bendis create Riri Williams because he and his wife had adopted a child, and they wanted the child to be able to see herself, and those like her, represented in comics?

He has two children through adoption that are black, one African American the other born in Ethiopia. For some reason I thought his wife was black, but the one picture on his wikipedia page of his biological daughter makes her look caucasian and doing more research than checking wikipedia about a semi-famous person's non-famous children feels creepy.