Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FF14 Cid is boring but he has cool friends so he's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Yeah it’s like, we get it Cid, you are noble and gregarious, give it a rest, Nero found a cool ancient weapon thingy and that’s kind of what we are about right now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
FFXI Cid has frightening teeth

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

X Cid is pretty cool.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Yeah it’s like, we get it Cid, you are noble and gregarious, give it a rest, Nero found a cool ancient weapon thingy and that’s kind of what we are about right now.

Nero's the kinda guy who wore sunglasses not only in the middle of the night, but in the middle of a thunderstorm happening at night, for literally no good reason other than the chance to dramatically remove them in front of Cid.

It's not even a contest, really.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Nero's the kinda guy who wore sunglasses not only in the middle of the night, but in the middle of a thunderstorm happening at night, for literally no good reason other than the chance to dramatically remove them in front of Cid.

It's not even a contest, really.

Also indoors.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

X Cid is pretty cool.
In X-2 we find out he thinks women shouldn't go off adventuring in the world and should just stay at home and find a husband. He also hated that Yuna was a summoner because she'd die, and yet thought a great idea to stop Sin would be to crash the airship into it, killing everyone including Yuna, but it would have been his decision, not hers, so it's fine. FFX Cid is just begging to be cancelled

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF4 Cid jumped off an airship holding a live bomb and lived

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

FF4 Cid jumped off an airship holding a live bomb and lived

Yeah Cid 4 wins.

FFX: Last night I got the ability to teach abilities to aeons. Most of them seem useless. Are there any good ones?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 16, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFX: Last night I got the ability to teach abilities to aeons. Most of them seem useless. Are there any good ones?
Haste and Protect are the best, imo. Also, Ifrit, Ixion, and Shiva all heal based on their element so you're gunna heal better using their respective -aga spell than you would curaga.

You can also slap Doublecast onto aeons, if you want to use them as anything other than one-off limit nukes and damage sponges.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dr Cid was a maddened dilweed

Al-cid was a beautiful man

I for the life of me can't remember what Al-Cid did in the plot.

He showed up at the meeting with Gran Kiltias, went 'Hey, how you doin?' :heysexy:, suggested a military alliance, tried fighting the Judge that attacked, and then just hosed off for the rest of the game. Showing back up to say 'If you live, come visit Rozarria sometime." :heysexy:

Like, I know in the background lore and alliances he was on Ashe's side.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

Haste and Protect are the best, imo. Also, Ifrit, Ixion, and Shiva all heal based on their element so you're gunna heal better using their respective -aga spell than you would curaga.

You can also slap Doublecast onto aeons, if you want to use them as anything other than one-off limit nukes and damage sponges.

Thanks. I don't remember Haste or Protect being available but I'll check again tonight.

And yeah self element healing is what I did with Ifrit to beat Ixion to unlock this. I just healed every turn until I had OD and then used it. It's cheesy but idgaf. I'm not interested in fair or balanced combat these days. I'm playing through old FFs I missed out on because I want to see their stories and get to know the characters.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I for the life of me can't remember what Al-Cid did in the plot.

He showed up at the meeting with Gran Kiltias, went 'Hey, how you doin?' :heysexy:, suggested a military alliance, tried fighting the Judge that attacked, and then just hosed off for the rest of the game. Showing back up to say 'If you live, come visit Rozarria sometime." :heysexy:

Like, I know in the background lore and alliances he was on Ashe's side.

IIRC Ashe wasn't the purpose of his visit. He wanted to negotiate peace talks with Larsa who had actual influence in Archadian politics because the Senate wanted to elect him instead of Vayne.

But everything went to poo poo because Vayne killed/convinced the emperor to kill himself and framed the senate for the murder.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of bad characters, it's kind of hosed up that you're supposed to see Leo in FF6 as a good guy. He's totally down with the emperor's plans for world conquest, his only problem with it is the means and not the ends.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of bad characters, it's kind of hosed up that you're supposed to see Leo in FF6 as a good guy. He's totally down with the emperor's plans for world conquest, his only problem with it is the means and not the ends.

Interesting perspective I hadn't thought of before. I guess you really mostly see Leo in the context of Kefka being around at the same time so it's easy to think in terms of black and white.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pretty soft girl posted:

FFXI Cid has frightening teeth

He processes Bastok's metal personally

with his mouth

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The reins of history back in the hands of man!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

General Leo is the James Comey of Final Fantasy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MonsieurChoc posted:

The reins of history back in the hands of man!

XII Cid is the best Cid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

He's the Loyal Soldier who does his duty but doesn't really enjoy it.

He's also barely in the game. He does have that one sweet moment with Terra or something though doesn't he? And he gets betrayed and murdered by his beloved emperor. It's easy to see why some might sympathize with him.

Beatrix is basically Leo but with a real subplot to her and also far more obvious blood on her hands but the game forgives her as it does with every villain.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
FFIV's Cid Pollendina is good for reasons already mentioned: he's a weird gremlin man who detonates a bomb in his hand and lives. He's basically your fun, crazy uncle from start to finish.
FFV's Cid Previa is the quintessential Cid: an old man who likes to build stuff. He's a little more central to the plot since it's his machines which started the process of breaking the crystals in the first place.
FFVI's Cid Del Norte Marquez is a guy who only cares about his research, regardless of the consequences. He develops a conscience after raising Celes, but he continues his work on the espers so he's still a coward.
FFVII's Cid Highwind is a cigar-chomping, wife-abusing son of a bitch. His relationship with Shera gets better, but like... you can't just erase years of verbal abuse. It's ignored while he's in the party, where he serves as Cranky Dad.
FFVIII's Cid Kramer is probably the worst Cid. He doesn't do machines, he's barely present, and his plan is loving stupid. He seriously messes up a bunch of kids because a teen from the future told his wife he had to.
FFIX's Regent Cid Fabool IX is a great Cid. He's the world's leading airship expert, he's amenable to the party's needs, and he has a sweet moustache.
FFX's Cid (yeah, it's just "Cid") is alright. He has this great accent that I can't quite place, other than it being kinda Southern. Yee-haw, here we go!
FFXII's Cidolfas Demen Bunansa is a great villain, and the first villainous Cid in the series. He serves an important role in the plot, and functions primarily as Balthier's biggest hurdle to overcome. Al-Cid Margrace is hot but not very important. His role is tied more to things happening in the background that the game loves to tell you about in cutscenes that only barely impact the story you're actively following.
FFXIII's Cid Raines is kind of a mess. He starts off as an ally but gets crystallized and turned against you by Barthandelus. It's pretty obvious this guy was the victim of a sloppy production and constant rewrites.
FFXIV's Cid nan Garlond is another good Cid. He's just a good man who makes machines, specifically in the hopes of helping people. He turned away from his homeland because he disagreed with their expansionist ideology, kinda like how Cid Marquez could have been if he wasn't such a huge coward.
FFXV's Cid Sophiar is an old mechanic and friend of Noctis' dad. He might just be the perfect Cid: he's a gruff grandpa man, he spends all of his time working on machines, and he's not a garbage person. Cindy might have been billed as this game's Cid, but she's really more of a Mid than a Cid. Which is a shame, really. You can tell they wanted someone you had to interact with on the regular who had a connection to Noctis' dad, and it was really easy to slot Cid into that role since Hammerhead is the very first place you go in the game, but having another character serve that role elsewhere and putting the focus on Cindy as the "only person who can touch the Regalia" would have been cool. As it stands, she doesn't really do a whole lot.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Best Cid is Cidolfus Orlandeau for being the beatstick I used to decimate everyone in Tactics.

ETA: Cid Haze from III was alright. At least, I don't remember him doing any particularly douchey. He's just kinda there.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 16, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Shera is not Cid's wife, just wanted to say that. She just lives with him out of misplaced guilt that's her fault the rocket never launched and that Cid's dream was never realized.

Also Cid's dialogue to her contains absolutely zero swearing in the Japanese version. He still absolutely sucks, calling her basically "blockhead" and "idiot", but it feels way less like Cid's your drunk abusive father, that vibe is entirely the localizer.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 16, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo how did I forget Orlandeau :doh:

Yeah he's my favorite.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah I'm really curious how the Remake handles Cid. I feel like his whole relationship with Shera is going to be changed a lot (which would be for the best).

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I was only doing mainline FF's, and only ones I've played, which is why I skipped II, III, and XI. But yeah Cidolfas Orlandeau is a great character, even if I would rate him pretty low on the Cid scale for lacking mechanical expertise and being almost entirely irrelevant to the story.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't want FF7 Cid to be redone at all. Let the new generation find out for themselves.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah I'm really curious how the Remake handles Cid. I feel like his whole relationship with Shera is going to be changed a lot (which would be for the best).
I kinda disagree, I think Cid and Shera's relationship is a pretty interesting, complicated and sad dynamic and history,

Much like everything with wrt Cloud, Tifa and Aerith's triangle, or Barrett and Dyne, it's built on sad, complex circumstances that make it very difficult to untangle and feel good about. I don't think it needs to be changed or reworked, but a better pass in the writing department where a translator isn't punching up the script constantly would make things more clear

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Best Cid is Cidolfus Orlandeau for being the beatstick I used to decimate everyone in Tactics.

ETA: Cid Haze from III was alright. At least, I don't remember him doing any particularly douchey. He's just kinda there.

Does this mean FF14 technically has two Cids (and they're both good) :thunk:

"I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies, and tears their flesh asunder!" :black101:
(edit: better one)
"Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

(I like his VA, what can I say)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 16, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

"I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies, and tears their flesh asunder!" :black101:

FF14 had an event where Noctis shows up and is confused that FF14's Cid isn't FF15's Cid.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Shera is not Cid's wife, just wanted to say that. She just lives with him out of misplaced guilt that's her fault the rocket never launched and that Cid's dream was never realized.

Also Cid's dialogue to her contains absolutely zero swearing in the Japanese version. He still absolutely sucks, calling her basically "blockhead" and "idiot", but it feels way less like Cid's your drunk abusive father, that vibe is entirely the localizer.

They get married in Dirge of Cerberus. Also she's clearly his long term live in girlfriend/common law wife anyway.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Worst Cid is clearly FF12 Cid. Strictly because he named his kid Ffamran.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

(edit: better one)
"Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

(I like his VA, what can I say)

The VAs for Cid and Agrias went all in with delivering those battle quotes and it is glorious

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzvMzfh-0I

FFXIII-2 is one of those games I remember not being sold on at first. I can't remember when exactly I fell in love with it originally but having finally left New Bodhum and hearing this again makes me feel like it was probably the first Bresha.

But I need gameplay advice. gently caress stereotypes, I'm building Serah into a physical powerhouse and Noel into more of a mage. I'm sure this has already kept me from minmaxing as best as I could but I still want to double check something. I should absolutely pick the Role Bonuses for my first Crystarium Expansion, right? I really want those SYN and SAB roles but I'll be able to get monsters soon. Also if I take these bonuses right now that means I'll be able t o gain maximum stats in my preferred Roles for the rest of the game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 16, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzvMzfh-0I

FFXIII-2 is one of those games I remember not being sold on at first. I can't remember when exactly I fell in love with it originally but having finally left New Bodhum and hearing this again makes me feel like it was probably the first Bresha.

But I need gameplay advice. gently caress stereotypes, I'm building Serah into a physical powerhouse and Noel into more of a mage. I'm sure this has already kept me from minmaxing as best as I could but I still want to double check something. I should absolutely pick the Role Bonuses for my first Crystarium Expansion, right? I really want those SYN and SAB roles but I'll be able to get monsters soon. Also if I take these bonuses right now that means I'll be able t o gain maximum stats in my preferred Roles for the rest of the game.

I got the guide with my copy (they were a cheap bundle, shut up) and it had a section on how to build optimum characters, including inverted like you're doing. So it's very doable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

cock hero flux posted:

They get married in Dirge of Cerberus. Also she's clearly his long term live in girlfriend/common law wife anyway.
I wouldn't say "clearly" at all, that's really not the nature of their relationship in anyway.

they hang around each other because they understand each other's wounds (Cid is the one who cancelled the rocket launch, he could have killed Sherra while Cid only had to make that choice because Sherra was in the rocket in the first place). They don't "like" each other, but they understand each other better than they do other people. I just feel a man and a woman living together with shared history doesnt make them Dating/Married

and i don't loving care about all the extended canon at all

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 16, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Augus posted:

The VAs for Cid and Agrias went all in with delivering those battle quotes and it is glorious

agrias especially, yeah

(19s; loses something without the context of the fight, but oh well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew-ClaIxnc&t=19s

it's gotta be hard to read lines that hammy and still come out with any believable seriousness, but they sure did it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 16, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the guide with my copy (they were a cheap bundle, shut up) and it had a section on how to build optimum characters, including inverted like you're doing. So it's very doable.

Thank you.

Although this poo poo is pretty complicated....
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354522664

quote:

The Rules
To get a great endgame party, you'll want to fill in every crystal according to a set of rules. HP is, in general, not as valuable as Strength or Magic. The more HP you have, the more you'll be hurt by Poison (as it's percentage-based) and the harder it'll be to heal you with items (and the most common Cure magic; lots of creatures only have access to Cure or Cura, which aren't percentage-based).

Here are the rules:
Leveling a Commando up on a big crystal will give you +2 Strength, and leveling a Ravager up to one will give you +2 Magic. Nothing huge there.
Always level a Synergist up to an ODD level on big crystals; you'll get Magic rather than HP.
Saboteur is the most complicated one. When leveling the Saboteur role onto big crystals, level up to an EVEN level for +2 Strength, or to an ODD level for +2 Magic.
Don't ever level Sentinel or Medic on a big node; you'll just get HP. In this guide, Serah will break this rule a tiny bit (in her final two Chrystarium stages), but that's for two reasons: by then, she's already exhausted her Magic roles, and she admittedly could use a little HP in the endgame compared to Noel.
Again: save before doing this!

I've already been doing everything wrong. I've been doing the exact same thing I did last run which is just fill in every node in my preferred Roles at once. I forgot all about how precise this poo poo is. (which I only know from being told about it after I beat XIII-2.)

I've also been leveling up SEN a lot for Serah. I liked the idea of making her a beefy tank.

I don't care about maxing out stats exactly. I just don't want to gently caress myself over since I'm playing with a difficulty mod and also I plan to fight the toughest bosses in the game this time around.

Also Role Bonuses don't increase stats at all so gently caress them for now. I'll probably just get the ATB Gauge increases.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

FFVII's Cid Highwind is a cigar-chomping, wife-abusing son of a bitch. His relationship with Shera gets better, but like... you can't just erase years of verbal abuse. It's ignored while he's in the party, where he serves as Cranky Dad.

Are they actually married post VII?

Dirge just says he named his ship after her afaik.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're not even married in FF7.