Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Thanks, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about Mecha stuff in general, but obviously there's still room for me to learn, still only missing 4 out of 76 is pretty impressive, especially considering how obscure a lot of them are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Keldroc posted:

Road King is one of the best figures I have out of 1500+. Top 5 easy. Granted I am a big Stunticon fan, so I'm biased, but the fact that he can turn into the full cab and trailer comparable in size to MP-10's truck mode with no partsforming is amazing. There's a lot of panel folding and tabbing but the end results in both modes are phenomenal. If you get one I highly recommend EmGo's Just Transform It video on it because the instructions are...not great.

He also looks really good with the XTB limb bots, even if they can't combine with him.

i should have asked this before, but just out of interest, what are your other top bots?

i'd list my top five, but given that the quality of transformers seems to have gone up a lot in recent years, they'd almost all be recent purchases I've already posted about. the last time I was super into transformers was during the armada/energon period, so my 5 favourites from my collection prior to right now are probably:

Armada/Energon Tidal Wave - this guy was a real surprise to me. I avoided picking him up for ages because I was pretty convinced he would have awful articulation. But to my surprise, he had just about everything but knee and waist joints. super fun to transform, good size, a one-man combiner (one of my fave gimmicks). I liked the energon colourscheme more than the armada one, the white and translucent green look is awesome. He has a neat little minicon jet who can store in a little pop-out chamber in the aircraft carrier portion. he can also combine with armada megatron, in the stupidest looking piece of poo poo mode ever.

his reign as a cool guy would be over when he got remade into one of the shittiest, most complicated shellformers ever: energon mirage

Magmatron - i picked up this guy at a comics convention in birmingham. Another one-man combiner, this guy is made out of three dinos, which combine into a really cool robot with good articulation. They also combine into an awful chimera form that just looks like all the dinosaurs are loving each other. the seperate dino modes are pretty good, with reasonably minimal evidence of bot mode parts (except the t-rex's belly). they do look like they are entirely made out of hinges though, because they are.

Transmetal Megatron - A cool robot t-rex that turns into a cool looking, well articulated megatron. the pinchy tail weapon was kinda dumb, but I guess they had to do something with the tail

Generation 2 Dreadwing & Smokescreen - Two awesome, almost anachronistically well-articulated figures, one with an extremely badass multi-rocket launcher. I imagined dreadwing as a kind of upgraded soundwave, based on his face and the shoulder rocket launcher. Dreadwing's leg articulation was there, but kind of limited in what it could do by the shortness of his thighs, but smokescreen was super well articulated, and had such a cool transformation scheme they would reuse it for energon starscream.

20th Anniversary Optimus - Free square

I left out G1 stuff cause I think a lot of its value is sentimental more than necessarily quality based, although there are some gems there. I probably missed a ton of stuff, but I picked the guys I would find myself wanting to mess around with and transform again and again.

speaking of messing around, i achieved the world's most precarious pose with soundwave and bruticus:

Bruticus ended up leaning against the wall, but soundwave is entirely supported by bruticus' arms.

I decided to not leave them like that, as funny as it was, because I didn't want to be woken by the sound of falling transformers.

they're just missing a piece of cardboard in front of them and another transformer breakdancing.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Burkion posted:

Also it's Swindle

Swindle should always be the little guy

And then the other guy is Blast Off who also messes with the scale since other TFs can ride him, although I'd consider him an average sized TF normally

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yea the other problem is that in that pic its optimus being 'resprayed' to look like motormaster. as far as i can tell the basis for people thinking the stunticon cars are the same height as the autobot cars is that the autobot cars get resprayed to look like stunticons in that episode. i looked through all 3 stunticon focused episodes (vector sigma, masquerade, and euro 2000) and you see plenty of car vs car, or robot vs car with the stunticons, but no robot vs robot. when they bust out in masquerade they turn into menasor immediately, and same for the fights in vector sigma.
Yeah but like... just snipping Motormaster out there he's 1.5 Megatrons easy, and that's before adjusting for the distance he's at. The concept of cartoon scale is terrible.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Picked up Siege Springer at the weekend. He’s a bit good, isn’t he? Took me a while to work out the proper orientation of feet and backpack for car and chopper modes but they’re beautiful when done right. I think I’m missing a trick with the backpack in robot mode though, as it’s still quite prominent and hollow.

In other news, my WJ Computronesque combiner arrived today. Will post my impressions when I can crack the package open tonight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Who else has Ectotron? Is there a trick to getting the backpack to stay on in robot mode? It falls off (and the cable falls out of the proton gun’s handle) if you look at it funny.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Who else has Ectotron? Is there a trick to getting the backpack to stay on in robot mode? It falls off (and the cable falls out of the proton gun’s handle) if you look at it funny.

If you try to plug it into the same hole as car mode, it won't stay attached at all. Rather, there's an easily missable tab on the lightbar where the pack will clip in securely.

3 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 16, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

3 posted:

If you try to plug it into the same hole as car mode, it won't stay attached at all. Rather, there's an easily missable tab just on the edge on the roof where the pack will clip in securely.

Oh no, it’s in the tab (the one in the light bar), but there’s no grip to hold it there.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, it’s in the tab (the one in the light bar), but there’s no grip to hold it there.

Might just be lovely manufacturing tolerances then, mine stays in no problem :shrug:
Only thing I can think of that might help would be some double-sided tape or blue tack.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I feel like scale only matters based on what you’re displaying stuff next to.

For example, all the new combiners look drat nice, especially FansToys, but holy poo poo I already have 3rd party versions of basically every combiner save for Defensor (and Monstructor I guess), and I CANNOT re-buy every combiner just to hit MP scale. They’re all on their own shelf instead and they look nice together, even the Fansproject Menasor.

I think part of it too is I just don’t want goddamn gigantic things in my study. I just cancelled Siege Omega Supreme for this reason. It is easier when I can just pose them in alt-mode, which I feel like you can’t do with combiners really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

he's perfect

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

he's perfect

All other Primes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

All other Primes:

Optimopes

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

i should have asked this before, but just out of interest, what are your other top bots?

In no particular order:

Fanstoys Road King (Motormaster)
Fanstoys Sovereign (Galvatron)
Fanstoys Stomp (Sludge)
Fanstoys Quietus (Cyclonus)
Takara MP Inferno

I know that last one's kind of a "...whut?" but I will never cease to be absolutely delighted by the way his ladder vanishes in robot mode.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

In no particular order:

Fanstoys Road King (Motormaster)
Fanstoys Sovereign (Galvatron)
Fanstoys Stomp (Sludge)
Fanstoys Quietus (Cyclonus)
Takara MP Inferno

I know that last one's kind of a "...whut?" but I will never cease to be absolutely delighted by the way his ladder vanishes in robot mode.

dang, fanstoys really does quality stuff then? I missed out on the sovereign reissue preorder cause the UK site that carries FT stuff apparently has a totally different site for preorders only, which is only linked to one place on the site, and I did not know about, which sucks.

with the ft dinobots, does the chrome scrape at all? i love the dinobots but i'm always worried around the vacuum chromed stuff

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

dang, fanstoys really does quality stuff then? I missed out on the sovereign reissue preorder cause the UK site that carries FT stuff apparently has a totally different site for preorders only, which is only linked to one place on the site, and I did not know about, which sucks.

with the ft dinobots, does the chrome scrape at all? i love the dinobots but i'm always worried around the vacuum chromed stuff

I mean I am a FT fanboy, as most of the thread is well aware, but yes, they do the best stuff around for my money, although generally I do think Takara's stuff has a slight edge most of the time (not, however, in the case of the upcoming Hound vs. Fanstoys' version). Their Dinobots are phenomenal and what started me buying Fanstoys. None of mine have a single bit of chrome chipping or any other defects that I've noticed, years and multiple transformations later. Mine are the regular versions, not the "everything shiny!" X versions, though, so those may be a different story in terms of scraping. I also like the Gigapower Dinobots (especially their Sludge) but Fanstoys are more G1 design and scale accurate, as well as better made figures.

Also I should note that I don't even particularly like Galvatron and Cyclonus as characters, but the FT figures just pop on the shelf like nothing else. They literally made me like the characters more than I did before, 30+ years later.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 16, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I mean I am a FT fanboy, as most of the thread is well aware, but yes, they do the best stuff around for my money, although generally I do think Takara's stuff has a slight edge most of the time (not, however, in the case of the upcoming Hound vs. Fanstoys' version). Their Dinobots are phenomenal and what started me buying Fanstoys. None of mine have a single bit of chrome chipping or any other defects that I've noticed, years and multiple transformations later. Mine are the regular versions, not the "everything shiny!" X versions, though, so those may be a different story in terms of scraping. I also like the Gigapower Dinobots (especially their Sludge) but Fanstoys are more G1 design and scale accurate, as well as better made figures.

Also I should note that I don't even particularly like Galvatron and Cyclonus as characters, but the FT figures just pop on the shelf like nothing else. They literally made me like the characters more than I did before, 30+ years later.

drat, that's a pretty ringing endorsement. I really like the look of their cyclonus, especially cause he seems to come with extra bits to turn him into IDW cyclonus, which is a cool bonus. I love the dinobots but everyone seems to have a variant of them so it's been hard to figure out which to aim for.

the dinobots rule for how consistently rowdy they were in the G1 cartoon, and how great their designs are.

my war for cybertron skytread (aka flywheels) got here today. I got him very cheap second hand from ebay, and he came without a box or instructions so I had to figure out his transformation myself. It wasn't very complicated, luckily. He's my second siege figure, so now I can finally mess around with Brunt's gimmick:

mega flywheels, with even bigger feet! let's see the DJD try and take him down this time!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Keldroc posted:

I have a buttload of FT figures as well, and they're all fantastic. I have their two decpticon headmasters and I wasn't even going to collect headmaster stuff. I've gotten to the point of just preordering everything they do. I do prefer the scale of the Gigapower Dinobots better though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm a little frustrated at the shoes not being rollerskates.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

sba posted:

I have a buttload of FT figures as well, and they're all fantastic. I have their two decpticon headmasters and I wasn't even going to collect headmaster stuff. I've gotten to the point of just preordering everything they do. I do prefer the scale of the Gigapower Dinobots better though.

I wouldn't mind if the FT Dinos were Giga-sized (sufficient "evidence" for both size choices can be found throughout the cartoon), but Giga is just too stylized to fit my MP collection. They're great, but they're odd men out. I still got Sludge, though. Because Sludge.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm a little frustrated at the shoes not being rollerskates.

because of how far forward the pegholes are in his feet it's kind of difficult to do. your options are:

backwards rollerskates that fall off easily

or

radical skis!

i tried to get a dynamic skiing pose but he looks more like an old man with two canes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's some kind of ancient internet joke waiting to be made about putting treads on your treads

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, TFS Express! Or Omegalock as they used to be called, changed to TFS Express, and are now back to Omegalock again, except for their preorder site which is still TFS. :psyduck:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, TFS Express! Or Omegalock as they used to be called, changed to TFS Express, and are now back to Omegalock again, except for their preorder site which is still TFS. :psyduck:

yeah its great that the only link on omegalock to TFS is on the homepage nested in with the ads for new stuff, so if you get to the site through google (like typing in 'fanstoys sovereign reissue preorder') and end up on omegalock, it wont show you or link anywhere to their preorder site. it's good to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’re often cheaper than other UK e-tailers, but it took them a year of many back and forth emails to get me a replacement Iron Factory Brawl (the one I received had a massive factory fault). Collating a bunch of purchases from both of their sites to combine postage was a chore too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah their prices are good, it just sucks that the two uk retailers (omegalock & kapow toys) both seem to get about 3 of each toy between them.

edit: heyyy my krok got here. now i have two members of the scavengers! just need misfire and spinister, and then to hope that they make a crankcase (possible) and fulcrum (much less likely)

unfortunately all the joints he has that are made out of that great neon yellow-green colour plastic are super loose. I put some tissue paper in the hip joints so he at least stands up properly now, and his knee joints are alright, but the thigh swivel just freely turns.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 17, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mine has a similar problem, and the arm claws keep popping off. I also feel let down by him being a crocodile rather than a plane.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

yeah their prices are good, it just sucks that the two uk retailers (omegalock & kapow toys) both seem to get about 3 of each toy between them.

edit: heyyy my krok got here. now i have two members of the scavengers! just need misfire and spinister, and then to hope that they make a crankcase (possible) and fulcrum (much less likely)

unfortunately all the joints he has that are made out of that great neon yellow-green colour plastic are super loose. I put some tissue paper in the hip joints so he at least stands up properly now, and his knee joints are alright, but the thigh swivel just freely turns.

Arquinsiel posted:

Mine has a similar problem, and the arm claws keep popping off. I also feel let down by him being a crocodile rather than a plane.

Floor wax, my friends. Get some on a q-tip or other small cotton applicator and work it in the joints, and let it dry for 15 minutes or so. My bottle says Pledge Floor Care Finish, but a lot of people have ones labeled Pledge Future Shine. Same stuff in the bottle.

One could also use clear nail polish, but that's a lot messier and harder to remove if you put on too much, or in a place you didn't want it. Floor wax can easily be wiped off with a tissue should it get somewhere besides a joint. The floor wax in the joints will eventually come off via friction, but I've never had to reapply any yet in the five+ years I've had this bottle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On the other hand, I could just not bother because I only really got him to fill the hole in my collection created by the expensive TFCC one that turns into the jet I thought he did when I was six.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It takes like 9 seconds to apply, especially if you have any experience painting hams, since it's just an acrylic anyway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Floor wax, my friends.
Either you're very dedicated to trolling for years on end, or you have serious brain problems that you haven't figured out it isn't a wax.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a dessert topping.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I'd be more inclined to get it for Swoop's beak to hold in place than anything for Krok, because I actually care about having a good Swoop right now. I'm not 100% sure if it's available in Ireland. I'd have to work out how to check.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
You can try some Future Shine to help loose joints.

Though don’t overdo it like I did on MP Cheetor and gently caress up the tolerances so his arm shears right off.

Edit: omg beaten like four times, sorry

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

It takes like 9 seconds to apply, especially if you have any experience painting hams, since it's just an acrylic anyway.
Either you're very dedicated to trolling for years on end, or you have serious brain problems that you haven't figured out it isn't a wax.

Most people just say "floor wax" where I'm from because a "wax" in this context is a layer of protective covering that needs reapplying a couple of times a year, as it's not really part of the floor.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Uuuuuugh, it's a VARNISH, not a WAX, you IDIOT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's lube.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You're lube Mister Can't Post Pictures of Star Sabre

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Uuuuuugh, it's a VARNISH, not a WAX, you IDIOT
It's a dumb thing to say when you're telling people to use a specific product and not just some random wax you found in grandma's attic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What pics am I supposed to post again?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What pics am I supposed to post again?

The ones with Arcee and Springer doin' thangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDK posted:

The ones with Arcee and Springer doin' thangs.

I don't have the Arcee with the titty things.