Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Panzeh posted:

Probably too expensive for modern burn, and standard already has a lot of good 4 mana top end for cavalcade- they probably prefer the card advantage versions like frenzy or chandra.

I'll give it a shot as a replacement for Flame of Keld. It sucks that it doesn't draw you more cards but it also makes cavalcade a beating the turn it comes down instead of a few turns later

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Daaaaaaaamn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New modern all star?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I guess Esper didn't have enough good stuff already? Christ almighty.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

New modern all star?

This one is going to need a lot of playtesting. If it can counter things consistently then the card can be good. It also runs into the issue of not having a lot of decks that can play it though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Only uncommon :wow:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I guess Esper didn't have enough good stuff already? Christ almighty.

*Sigh* guess the BO1 queue is going to continue to be a game of "Dodge the Teferi"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Mill Discord rn
https://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kinda funny how Dimir's theme this set is "cards that you don't put in the same deck as Ashiok".

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kurieg posted:

*Sigh* guess the BO1 queue is going to continue to be a game of "Dodge the Teferi"

BO1 just seems to be a game of "Dodge this bullshit"

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

BO1 just seems to be a game of "Dodge this bullshit"

Not gonna lie, Arena has become immensely more fun and relaxing for me after getting over my fear of sideboarding and switching to Bo3.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I found the trick for Bo1 is to BE the bullshit and also to let go of your selfish desire to win games.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Probably too expensive for modern burn, and standard already has a lot of good 4 mana top end for cavalcade- they probably prefer the card advantage versions like frenzy or chandra.

im gonna test it but it looks insane, because not only does it make cavaclade start throwing lightning bolts everywhere it also makes your 1/1s into 3/1s which makes blocking a lot harder and it looks like it lets you just ram through the damage you need without a spitfire

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Big, big fan of cards that make Fetches worse

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The thane is 4 mana and a crappy topdeck, I'm not a believer at least in the decks mono red currently resembles. He competes with Chandra and frenzy and thats pretty stiff competition.

The dimir card I'm not 100% sold on, the upside of 2 mana kill spells is that you can use them turn 2. And this one you usually can't. But the counter is so strong and it's a removal card thats never truly dead (unless tef3ri is on the board). So idk, neat concept for those kephnet control decks because you'll want to run it alongside piles of other removal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Looking forwards to losing games in Modern because I fetch a shock and drown in a puddle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think the 2-mana counter/removal is mostly going to replace the 3-mana counterspells.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What would modern look like if there was suddenly intense pressure to not play fetches?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Looking forward to tormodding myself in response.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

I think the 2-mana counter/removal is mostly going to replace the 3-mana counterspells.
Does anyone run 3 mana counters?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

THIS CARD IS EXTREMELY GOOD

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

resistentialism posted:

What would modern look like if there was suddenly intense pressure to not play fetches?

Arcum’s Astrolabe would be a staple and a 20 dollar card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Tron, humans, and artifact decks would become stronger.

People have complained about blood moon not being a magic card that exists despite the fact it punish greedy manabases. Still would like to see some cards to specifically hate on "searching for land".

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 16, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

THIS CARD IS EXTREMELY GOOD

...for me to poop on!

It's a good card

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Went to my store's Modern MCQ yesterday to check it out and chill with some players I rarely see because I don't judge competitive events anymore. The format looked fun and diverse, so knowing I had all the Eldrazi and Tron lands, went home to see what I'd need to finish off the deck. Mostly a bunch of $10 cards... oh, and almost $300 for a playset of Chalice of the Void. How did that card get so out of hand?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Arcum’s Astrolabe would be a staple and a 20 dollar card
Same, but Koth alao.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

Guess who's up to his old tricks again?

I miss the Trey emoticon, most expressive 'sneaky' ever.

Still one of the best emoticons and I think most Magic sites have it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

Went to my store's Modern MCQ yesterday to check it out and chill with some players I rarely see because I don't judge competitive events anymore. The format looked fun and diverse, so knowing I had all the Eldrazi and Tron lands, went home to see what I'd need to finish off the deck. Mostly a bunch of $10 cards... oh, and almost $300 for a playset of Chalice of the Void. How did that card get so out of hand?

It's $20 lower than before the two reprints or whatever. Shouldn't've been mythic, imho, but then I probably just don't understand the mature and sophisticated nuances of "the free market."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

1: Artifact
2: Played as a 4x
3: Reprinted at Mythic
4: Multiformat staple

Pretty much everything needed to make it expensive. Its even a heavily counterfeited card.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

I’m not as convinced. Without mill to enable it, it doesn’t counter anything on curve. It’s probably fine against faster decks that try to double spell early but might be quite bad against the midrange decks with powerful 4 and 5s. Which would make it almost the inverse of the 3 mana counters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I’m not as convinced. Without mill to enable it, it doesn’t counter anything on curve. It’s probably fine against faster decks that try to double spell early but might be quite bad against the midrange decks with powerful 4 and 5s. Which would make it almost the inverse of the 3 mana counters.

I don't think the card is going to be especially good in standard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No Wave posted:

The thane is 4 mana and a crappy topdeck, I'm not a believer at least in the decks mono red currently resembles. He competes with Chandra and frenzy and thats pretty stiff competition.

If it goes in any red decks it'll go in cavalcade, which doesn't play frenzy and only sometimes plays Chandra

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Panzeh posted:

It's nice they are giving Cavalcade players choices in deck building though. God knows they don't need to make any when playing the deck

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess thane is basically more copies of spitfire.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sickening posted:

I don't think the card is going to be especially good in standard.
I think there's enough incidental mill in standard right now along with cards ending up in the graveyard through regular play. A 2-mana "Kill a 5 or less CMC creature OR counter a 5 or less CMC spell" that you can't cast on curve feels like it has a home in Dimir or Grixis control, and I don't think that's unrealistic.

Edit: doesn't hit Planeswalkers though which really sucks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If it goes in any red decks it'll go in cavalcade, which doesn't play frenzy and only sometimes plays Chandra

is the dwarf better than Scampering Scorcher though? because that deck can't afford a lot of 4 cost cards.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

y'all ready for a LOT of pridemate decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Man, if rally the throne was 2 cmc that card would be lit as gently caress.