Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I have serious questions about the logic behind saving as is in DQB2. Why are the autosaves wildly inconsistent? I've had spans of full half hours and longer between autosaves. Also, why is saving disabled on the Explorer islands? I've got a lovely old PS4 that likes to eject games without warning. That poo poo is stressing me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Did you try tightening the screw in the disc drive slot? That worked for my Destiny PS4.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1173582556718977025

amazing

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Those are all just the Mobile ports aren't they.

God drat Switch tax is striking again, they are charging $40 for that when all 3 mobile games cost less then 20.
edit: nvm, I read something wrong, it actually comes down to about $25. That's a lot more reasonable.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 16, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The combined total price is actually $23.70

Dragon Quest I - $4.99
Dragon Quest II - $6.49
Dragon Quest III - $12.49

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
And here I am preparing to fight Baramos on my phone like a chump.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DQ1 on iOS is only 3 bucks though, so that's still a thing.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
DQ1 is also the game where you don't get any party members and the name of your Hero determines your stat growth so it's kind of a jank fest still

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nah man dragon quest 1 is chill, it takes like six hours to beat. it was my first dragon quest and i liked it.

like sure it's the mobile versions and that's a bummer, but it won't have a big honking control nub over part of the screen, it's not locked to portrait mode and I get to play it in bed or on the bus without my phone getting really hot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

The combined total price is actually $23.70

Dragon Quest I - $4.99
Dragon Quest II - $6.49
Dragon Quest III - $12.49

I swear when I bought DQIII on the Play Store, it was $5 and it wasn't even on sale.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
On the Play Store as I type this, the prices are

Dragon Quest - $2.99
Dragon Quest II - $4.99
Dragon Quest III - $9.99

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I swear when I bought DQIII on the Play Store, it was $5 and it wasn't even on sale.

I just bought it one week ago today and it cost 10.88 USD. I would have loved only paying 5.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Huh. Maybe it was on sale that day. I remember buying it on a whim.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Now they just need to put all the other games on Switch. I got the itch to play 5 again recently, but I can’t find my DS cart.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ethiser posted:

Now they just need to put all the other games on Switch. I got the itch to play 5 again recently, but I can’t find my DS cart.

5 is on phones too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, but I don’t want to play it on my phone. I’d rather pay a few more dollars and play on my Switch.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Phone controls are awful, hth.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Expect My Mom posted:

nah man dragon quest 1 is chill, it takes like six hours to beat. it was my first dragon quest and i liked it.

like sure it's the mobile versions and that's a bummer, but it won't have a big honking control nub over part of the screen, it's not locked to portrait mode and I get to play it in bed or on the bus without my phone getting really hot.

I actually quite like the mobile version of DQ 1. The new translation is solid, and the graphics are improved without becoming some unrecognizable abomination like the SNES Final Fantasy ports.

Plus like you said the rebalancing turned the game from fairly tedious to just a chill experience that doesn't last long enough to wear out its welcome.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Dragon Quest 1 is a game where you get to draw your own maps. From that perspective, the major flaw of the prebalance fix game is that there’s a huge chunk of the game around level 15 with no dungeons to explore.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Phone controls are awful, hth.

I think this is a little dependent on the size of the phone maybe. I didn't like them at first but I got used to them on my bigass phone and they're perfectly serviceable outside of really particular cases like walking across a tightrope in the tower where you get the sage book in 3. Thank God for quick saves.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Looking forward to play a version of DQIV with party chat on a console. I wonder how long they’ll wait before they release 4-6.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Release the original versions, cowards

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wish Square-Enix would release their old games without making them look like poo poo

this is worse than RPGMaker

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eh, still better than the remakes of FFV and VI. That's just meh. Those were outright ugly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Why can't they just release the original roms?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Orange Crush Rush posted:

DQ1 is also the game where ... the name of your Hero determines your stat growth
Wat?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Why the gently caress would anyone want to play DQ2 Famicom

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to play DQ2 Famicom

Masochism.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
me, slamming my dick in a desk drawer constantly: Wow it's like I'm really the prince of Midenhall!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've only played the NES versions of 1 and 2 so that's probably a big part of why im excited for these

https://guides.gamercorner.net/dw/name-stats/

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Really, with all the different remakes floating around, there's really no reason to play the NES/Famicom versions of the first four games anymore, besides maybe 3. The first three have QoL enhancements that make them decidedly less of a chore to play. And not having to deal with the braindead AI in 4 is worth the price of admission alone.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't want the FC ROMs of the first ones...I want the sfc ROMs

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Really, with all the different remakes floating around, there's really no reason to play the NES/Famicom versions of the first four games anymore, besides maybe 3. The first three have QoL enhancements that make them decidedly less of a chore to play. And not having to deal with the braindead AI in 4 is worth the price of admission alone.

I still like the NES version of 4 the best. I was never a fan of the 3D background style used in the PS1 DQ games. It just made things harder to see and clunkier to navigate. I wish 4 had gotten a nice fancy SNES remake like 3 did. The PS1 era was a step down from that.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The DS versions all look and play really well imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

But, those are harder to play on my pvm

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hokuto posted:

I wish 4 had gotten a nice fancy SNES remake like 3 did.
Instead it got a nice and fancy DS remake?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Amppelix posted:

Instead it got a nice and fancy DS remake?

The DS version of DQ4 is just a port of the PS1 remake, which is the one with the awkward and clunky 3D. "Fancy" is not the word I would use to describe these graphics.

This is not pretty. It's just grainy and adds forced camera rotation to find everything in a given area when the NES version had a perfectly good overhead view. That's not even getting into the translation, where they laid on a bunch of regional accents so thick that sometimes parsing the text at all was a struggle (a problem the NES version and original JP text did not have).

I'm not saying people are wrong for liking the DS version, but there's definitely still a place for the NES version, both aesthetically and text-wise.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 17, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well I like the aesthetic!

Also you're not viewing it at an angle most of the time

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like the way they look too.

And I like the accents. And all the jokes, and puns. Original script is a little dry. Hell, as much as I was "Meh" about IX's gameplay, I liked that one's script too, and that was basically a hurricane of dad jokes and puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Only valid complaint about that port of 4 is the party conversations were removed. They got readded in the phone version. There of course is still a place for the original.