Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Racist cops getting their asses handed to them by a Judge: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-judge-accuses-spvm-profiling-1.5284532

quote:

He went on to say that while Baptiste did scream at officers, she was justified in doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TIL

quote:

In their description of what happened that night, the officers repeatedly described Baptiste as "hysterical" and claimed she "screamed her head off."

"The word 'hysterical' is derogatory and suggests that a person is out of control," said Richmond, citing a previous ruling of his.

He pointed out that the word "hysterical" comes from the Greek word for uterus. It was used for decades to describe a mental disorder thought to only be suffered by women, but this is no longer recognized in the field of psychology.

"Far too often, shouting men are described as loud, and shouting women are dismissed as hysterical," Richmond continued.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1173597593525542912

I....

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So they're promising a consultation before they charge ahead and do whatever they want

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh yeah, using words like that is supposed to get you a grouchy email from the crime reader or the court liaison officer. I imagine everyone missing that before it gets to court would lead to exactly this kind of giftwrapped discrimination challenge.

Not that lying on the stand exactly helps your case either

quote:

she crossed paths with a Montreal police vehicle

The officers claimed they had pulled her over because they saw that the woman was driving a vehicle belonging to a man.

The two officers said they could see a woman and a man inside the car and that they were able to look up the vehicle's license plate, but that it was too dark to see the colour of their skin.

Hell yeah she was justified in tearing a strip off of them. Good on her.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

So they're promising a consultation before they charge ahead and do whatever they want

They're promising a consultation and then will scrap the whole thing when some of the provinces object. "Oh well we tried, see you in 2024!"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i remember the last time the liberals promised nationwide childcare, what like 15 years ago

maybe this time its different

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ah yes the Little Red Book, which led to a Liberal majority government, but did not lead to one of its signature promises, national childcare.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Good thing we have proportional representation now and I don't have to do the mental calculus of who to strategically cast my vote for to prevent a conservative government

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh hey the Greens have released their platform.

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/1173626472621400065?s=20

So now we're waiting on the Libs and Conservatives. (if they'll even release one..?)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Spicy

quote:

Establish a universal Guaranteed Livable Income (GLI) program to replace the current array of income supports, such as disability payments, social assistance and income supplements for seniors.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

RBC posted:

i remember the last time the liberals promised nationwide childcare, what like 15 years ago

maybe this time its different

1993, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006, and not in the 2008 election but in the 2008 Coalition agreement.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

1993, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006, and not in the 2008 election but in the 2008 Coalition agreement.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me seven times, shame on me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me seven times, shame on me won't get fooled again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnstfQGyDc

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

vyelkin posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me seven times, shame on me.

Canada.txt right here.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Green campaign promise to introduce a Basic Income so they can remove welfare programs

I love how the chud thoughts are coming from inside the Green party.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’m excited to be voting on the 4 year anniversary of the last first past the post election

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Oh yeah, using words like that is supposed to get you a grouchy email from the crime reader or the court liaison officer. I imagine everyone missing that before it gets to court would lead to exactly this kind of giftwrapped discrimination challenge.

Not that lying on the stand exactly helps your case either

Hell yeah she was justified in tearing a strip off of them. Good on her.

I'm not sure if "we pulled her over because she's a woman" is more or less dumb than "we pulled her over because she's not white". What century do those officers think it is?

"Yer honor, we were driving along when we saw this dame driving a car. We had to pull her over, she was just hysterical, hysterical I tells ya. We pulled her out of the car, where we saw she was wearing pants! What's next? They'll wanna vote and work jobs?"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if "we pulled her over because she's a woman" is more or less dumb than "we pulled her over because she's not white". What century do those officers think it is?

They claimed the former because they didn't want to admit to the latter, and the judge called them on their obvious bullshit.

quote:

Est-ce que ces protestations de Mme Baptiste étaient sincères? Il est difficile de croire le contraire lorsqu’on considère les circonstances. Les policiers ont suivi l’automobile conduite par la défenderesse, sans l’intercepter, depuis la rue Ste-Catherine jusqu’à l’entrée du Pont Jacques-Cartier et ensuite sur le pont jusqu’à la sortie du Parc Jean-Drapeau. Ils n’ont observé aucune infraction dans la conduite du véhicule.

[20] Le motif invoqué par les policiers pour justifier leur décision de faire demi-tour et d’intercepter le véhicule est le fait qu’une femme conduisait un véhicule appartenant à un homme :

(…) je peux voir qu’une femme conduit le véhicule et qu’il semble avoir un homme assis du côté passager. Suite au retour du CRPQ, je constate que le véhicule appartient à un homme. Nous décidons alors de faire demi-tour et intercepter le véhicule (…)

[21] Le sexe de la conductrice n’est pas un motif légitime pour intercepter un véhicule, même s’il appartient à un homme. À la face même du rapport policier, c’est un cas de discrimination basée sur le sexe.

[22] L’allégation d’un feu de freinage central « brûlé » n’est ajoutée que dans le paragraphe suivant du rapport et me paraît peu convaincante comme motif d’interception. Selon le rapport, la décision d’« intercepter le véhicule pour vérifier le permis de conduire de la conductrice » avait déjà été prise. De plus, les agents n’ont jamais remis de constat d’infraction pour un feu « brûlé ».

[23] Et je ne crois pas l’affirmation des policiers selon laquelle, lorsqu’ils étaient à l’intersection des rues Ste-Catherine et Papineau, il leur était « impossible » de voir la couleur de peau des occupants de la Dodge Caravan alors qu’ils pouvaient voir que le véhicule était conduit par une femme avec un homme assis du côté passager. Cela dépasse l’entendement. S’il y avait quelque chose d’impossible à voir par les policiers à ce moment, c’était bien plus la plaque d’immatriculation du véhicule de la défenderesse. La position des véhicules, décrite de façon identique par tous les témoins, rendait cette plaque impossible à voir par les policiers jusqu’au moment où ils ont croisé la Caravan. Et encore là, il aurait fallu qu’ils tournent la tête à 180° pour voir l’arrière du véhicule qui s’éloignait, derrière eux, dans le sens opposé. Par conséquent, je ne crois pas les motifs allégués par les policiers pour justifier leur interception du véhicule.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/peoplespca/status/1173650869600079872

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I feel ill

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

someone needs to go back in time and stop Lowtax from making SA, it's only made the internet stupider

"I don't have much time but your quake fansite is gonna get nazis popular and get one of them elected president and there's gonna be an international scandal based upon your users playing an online spaceship wars game. Then your forums jokes will be used by the nazi running for Canadian PM. SHUT IT DOWN."

Just have the Terminator nuke him or something.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

eh lowtax is part terminator already with the metal spine and all

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/CBCKatie/status/1173661202179866626?s=19

This will be the lowest turnout election in a generation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hate all the party leaders. If enough people spoil their ballots can we take all of them and bar them from holding any political office ever again?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There should be a 'none of the above' option where if all the options are lovely we can just vote to chain the doors of the HOC shut for 4 years and all the non-elected levels of government just keep doing their thing as-is, just like they do when their respective ministers offices are empty for the 8 months of the year or so while they're playing golf and deciding who to gently caress over next.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

So disappointing no candidates have been doxxed back to canpol thread yet.
With a Green government, it just might happen.
https://twitter.com/AnjaKaradeglija/status/1173618850560204800

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

holy poo poo this is bad

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFongNGuQM

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

It’s so crazy it just might wo...

No. It’s won’t. Mostly because it’s incredibly stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

holy poo poo this is bad

don't worry not even their own MPs would be required to vote for that lmao

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It’s a good thing that scammers don’t have access to a huge pool of stolen identities that could be used to circumvent this restriction.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Wouldn’t be a GPC platform without at least one completely whackadoodle policy proposal in it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

Wouldn’t be a GPC platform without at least one completely whackadoodle policy proposal in it.

It's on page 75, so if that's the first I'd be surprised.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Unless Lowtax moves himself or his hosting to Canada, it won't affect these dead forums.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Given the near certainty of a Green majority that is a real relief to hear.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
In anticipation of our impending Green majority government’s doxxing bill I’ve decided to come clean about my real identity.

I’m Radical Wayne Gates

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's okay everyone, remember that the inevitable Green majority won't whip its MPs to support this bill and none of them will want to get outed as twitter shitposters so they'll all vote against and it will be the worst defeat every suffered by a majority government

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Korea does it and it's good as hell. Death threats and such stop when accounts are tied to an actual person and investigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It was cool when people thought that making you comment with an account tied to facebook would make comments less racist but all that happened was that now you get names and faces of the old people attached to their explanations of why Native's Just Gotta Get Over It.