Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Paradox style would be best but I'm happy with what we ended up with and hope there's more to come for the main campaign.

I'm not too familiar with Chinese history unfortunately, but I hope they do some time jump DLC like FOTS or BI. Maybe dealing with the Jurchen/Mongol business? Maybe something around the Ming period? Oooh, what about the Imjin Wars?

Although the time period the game is in now is probably the most hot period in terms of good TW setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Having an expansion that would jump nearly a thousand years is a bit hard

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Having an expansion that would jump nearly a thousand years is a bit hard

Shogun 2 ranged from 1180 to 1868. Another 300 years isn't that big a difference. Plus warfare in the Han and in the Northern and Southern Song periods aren't as different as the leap from Genpei War to machine guns.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Based on how they recently rebranded Fall of the Samurai as a Sagas game, I'm guessing that's the path they'll take for any significant time skips in the future vs. DLC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd be really surprised if we didn't get Warring States or the Mongols eventually.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PerniciousKnid posted:

207 start would have historical interest (Liu Bei is in the right place, right before Red Cliffs), but you still have half a dozen options for factions (two Liu's, Cao, Sun, Ma, and maybe add some "barbarian" factions).

Edit: or add a paradox-style database to start at any month, obviously

isn't that the thing Paradox itself said was way too much work and rarely used?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Based on how they recently rebranded Fall of the Samurai as a Sagas game, I'm guessing that's the path they'll take for any significant time skips in the future vs. DLC.

LOL a sneaky way to make sagas a success retroactively

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

isn't that the thing Paradox itself said was way too much work and rarely used?

It depends on the game. The different start date bookmarks in Crusader Kings 2 are pretty popular (although the extremely-granular ability to pick literally any day between 1066 and 1337 is not used that much and they did say that was way more work than it was worth), while in EU4 people basically exclusively play the first start.

I think the thing about Total War games is because the scope is a bit narrower than Paradox games, they have to be a bit pickier about what periods they cover because frankly, not every conflict would make for a good TW game. The best setup for a TW is when you have dozens of factions duking it out, which is why the Sengoku period, Three Kingdoms period, or medieval Europe work really well for them. Basically they need a period where it was a real thunderdome of everybody vs. everybody rather than just two or three major factions. Like, the least interesting part of TW:3K is the part where it actually becomes the Three Kingdoms.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Xae posted:

Dudes with pointy sticks are way less interesting than laser wielding dinosaurs fighting a horde of ratmen.

that's the reason I stopped playing. lol

if I was a well read good boy who knew more about Chinese classic literature than I do about Orks it might be different.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Warhams is pretty boring tbqh but then again fog2 has better historical battles than tw does tactically.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think I'd like Warhammer battles more if there was no magic and better sieges.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'd like 3 Kingdoms more if there was magic and better sieges.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It depends on the game. The different start date bookmarks in Crusader Kings 2 are pretty popular (although the extremely-granular ability to pick literally any day between 1066 and 1337 is not used that much and they did say that was way more work than it was worth), while in EU4 people basically exclusively play the first start.

In EU4 it was partly a self-fulfilling prophecy. In the very first DLC for EU4 they've added new mechanics for Native Americans like their own special ideas, confederations and so on. And none of those update with time, so if you want to play as a tribe in 1776 you will have exactly the same ideas and techs as you had in 1444. Same for many other mechanics. Also, a lot of historical events and situations aren't simulated which is understandable but limits the immersion. E.g. if you load France a day before revolution you'll have a prosperous nation with no problems. And all the provinces don't get any development but get generic buildings.

CK2 is much more systemic than that so, say, any available date will give you tech discrepancy. All provinces will be developed in the same boring way but the meat of the game is there is a political map and most of characters are randomly generated on any date start anyway. You miss some events that are there in Charlemagne start but no one cares about those anyway.

In any case, it would be a pain to update everything in the game for a lot of starts. Just think of provinces: it would make sense for later dates to have more developed provinces, but do you want them to just be perfectly developed or have some interesting suboptimal choices making those provinces more interesting? Do you want big courts with varying happiness and people already having offices or do you just leave it all opened? Hard questions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/development-update-blog-02/

CA posted:

We still like the idea of Chapter Packs that explore other chapters of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, though the next one will be more recognisable to the majority of players. We’re also working on DLC that adds significantly to the main campaign and are continuing to look at how that might develop and grow into some much bigger DLCs over time.

Yes absolutely, the Nanman are coming. Before then over the next year though, we’ll be visiting the era of the Yellow Turban Rebellion and Liang Province rebellion, and then the clash of Cao Cao vs Lü Bu in the central plains. And before that, there’s a free update coming in October.

Certain characters will be getting new, unique artwork for the main campaign, alongside a number of fixes and balances. We’re also aware that changes to how data is organised for 3K are causing some additional problems with mods when we update the game, and we’re looking at ways to solve or reduce this problem.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Give Qiang Horse Archers a 360 degree zone of fire!! What horse archer can only shoot straight ahead!?

I just want my Khampa horse raiders to be even roughly as good as their Gongsun Zan equivalent :(

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cao Cao v lu bu?

That's gonna be a very short and wet dlc

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Cao Cao v lu bu?

That's gonna be a very short and wet dlc

Yeah that seems like a weird one to make a DLC out of. I mean it's obviously all alt-history but the whole conflict was a stalemate that lasted like 3 months over a single province. Wondering how the timing of turns would work out. I assume they'll probably decrease the scope of the map drastically and split those commanderies up into multiple smaller provinces than they are on the big map. Make each turn the equivalent of 1 day or something

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It has all of the most popular characters. You've got Cao Cao, you've got Lu Bu, you've got Liu Bei, and my personal favourite - Chen Gong. Weird for a Total War game though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I'd like 3 Kingdoms more if there was magic and better sieges.

The book had plenty of magic, sadly the game cut it out. The Koei games had more spells, I think.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Like, the least interesting part of TW:3K is the part where it actually becomes the Three Kingdoms.

I think it would be a quick game option, like video baseball games that let you start in the 8th or 9th inning of some tournament situation.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that seems like a weird one to make a DLC out of. I mean it's obviously all alt-history but the whole conflict was a stalemate that lasted like 3 months over a single province. Wondering how the timing of turns would work out. I assume they'll probably decrease the scope of the map drastically and split those commanderies up into multiple smaller provinces than they are on the big map. Make each turn the equivalent of 1 day or something
Perhaps they mean a start-date? Would be weird otherwise: Cao Cao rather easily beat Lu Bu on the two occasions they actually met in battle(the second time resulting in Lu Bu's capture and execution).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Perhaps they mean a start-date? Would be weird otherwise: Cao Cao rather easily beat Lu Bu on the two occasions they actually met in battle(the second time resulting in Lu Bu's capture and execution).

Yeah that's true, the game starts in 190 and the Cao Cao and Lu Bu's conflict was in like 197. Not sure how much that really changes the map/faction make up beside Dong Zhuo obviously not being around. Although this is right around when Cao Cao really started his rise to power and was pals with the emperor, and it's pre-war with Yuan Shao. My guess is the real conflict for a DLC like that would be Cao Cao vs the Yuan clan, but pushing the start back to the tail end of Lu Bu's life/relevancy would allow them to keep him as an interesting faction.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that's true, the game starts in 190 and the Cao Cao and Lu Bu's conflict was in like 197. Not sure how much that really changes the map/faction make up beside Dong Zhuo obviously not being around. Although this is right around when Cao Cao really started his rise to power and was pals with the emperor, and it's pre-war with Yuan Shao. My guess is the real conflict for a DLC like that would be Cao Cao vs the Yuan clan, but pushing the start back to the tail end of Lu Bu's life/relevancy would allow them to keep him as an interesting faction.

The current start kinda usually leads to Lu Bu getting fired. You don't often get him as faction leader.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If that's the case, they could go for the "standard" RTK date of 194, with Lu Bu having just seized Pu Yang and Liu Bei having succeeded Tao Qian in Xu, Yuan Shu in Shou Chun. They could even make Li Jue/Guo Si a faction(or just copy-paste Dong Zhuo's mechanics. Lu Bu would ideally get something unique to him). Later on, around 197 or so, would have Lu Bu in Xu, Liu Bei either still sharing Xu as a lesser partner or sheltering with Cao Cao, Yuan Shu at the height of his power, Sun Ce established in the south, and maybe Li Jue/Guo Si and Zhang Xiu(with Jia Xu) as potential new factions. All with Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan still locked in their death struggle(though Yuan would be close to winning in the later case). You could even have some sort of event around Emperor Xian fleeing Chang An that would give Cao Cao the chance to get the Emperor(and maybe provide Yuan Shao and other powers the option to attempt to seize him as well, potentially igniting a big power struggle. Historically, Yuan Shao chose not to).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In general I'd really like to be able to move the Emperor Xian around (or have him flee himself) under certain conditions and also the ability to make yourself Han regent and keep him in power.

like my friend Liu Bei who harboured absolutely no ambition to higher office, no sir no how.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My insane prediction for TW: Troy, going off their last presser, is that they're making a character action or musou game with total war characteristics. Spartan: Total War shall live again

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Well I guess we’ll find out what it is soon.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1174266001166389249?s=20

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gods and monsters. Sure looks like a mythology game. Probably not actually about Illiad but rather about Age of Heroes city-states in general.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll be very pleasantly surprised if it means actual monsters/mythology in battle rather than as just setting/backdrop. I assume these still don’t have the budget to get a bunch of big TWW-style stompy monsters and magic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if we get a modern age of mythology total war i'd be very happy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

On the other hand, they probably still have "core" "historical" fans. Not sure how big and vocal this part is but many people don't like historical series going into fantasy land. 3K is weighted heavily towards heroic mythical combat, records mode is basically "turn off all the fun features" mode. And nobody liked Thrones of Britannia. So I imagine people being disapointed if the next "historical" game is not historical.

Or maybe I'm imagining this demography, it's not like I myself care that much.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Troy needs to be full fantasy. The next historical game can focus on Pontus.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They should just do it Records vs Romance style where one version lets you play a campaign that's more historical and in the other version Achilles can solo armies by himself and you can recruit minotaurs and stuff.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ilitarist posted:

On the other hand, they probably still have "core" "historical" fans. Not sure how big and vocal this part is but many people don't like historical series going into fantasy land. 3K is weighted heavily towards heroic mythical combat, records mode is basically "turn off all the fun features" mode. And nobody liked Thrones of Britannia. So I imagine people being disapointed if the next "historical" game is not historical.

Or maybe I'm imagining this demography, it's not like I myself care that much.

I ended up liking records more, just cuz the TW engine is real bad at handling single model units. Having zhang feis cavalry unit plow through hundreds of men at a time was way cooler than watching him bump into some spearmen as a single guy.

I think basically everyone who is into historical games I've seen talking about troy thinks it's a bad era to make a historical game but a good era to make a mythological one

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Age of Mythology: Total War when

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Jamwad Hilder posted:

in the other version Achilles can solo armies by himself and you can recruit minotaurs and stuff.
As long as you also add the river nymph that scares him shitless and makes him run away crying :)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I suspect the reason why they are doing Troy is as a test to see how popular an Age of Mythology TW would be. It seems like a smaller, less risky version of a bigger idea.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I assume troy TW will basically be age of mythology TW. I guess with just Greek mythology though it'd be cool if they gave the trojans some asian stuff

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why didn't people like the Britannia one? Seems like a neat setting but I haven't really looked into it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If my god drat irish skrimishers are not fighting side by side with the hounds of Cu Sidhe then I don't want to play rome 3, the early monarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I assume troy TW will basically be age of mythology TW. I guess with just Greek mythology though it'd be cool if they gave the trojans some asian stuff

One of their representatives said on reddit that they were mostly exploring the 'truth behind the myths', so I guess not really.