Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I use it even when brushing normally.

I still don't know what the thinner is for.

Thinner is great if you are going for that 'clogged needle' look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I use the thinner as cleaner, it's decent at that even if it's not great for actually painting with.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
On seriously what's the thinner for actually though why do I own this bottle

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

You use the thinner to thin your paint...

Really though that’s what it’s used for. When I’m thinning paints for my airbrush I use Vallejo thinner and flow improver to get the consistency I want. It works great

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hixson posted:

You use the thinner to thin your paint...

Really though that’s what it’s used for. When I’m thinning paints for my airbrush I use Vallejo thinner and flow improver to get the consistency I want. It works great

Im sorry, I have a problem where I'm stupid, but why do you need both and not just the FI? Should i be using both? What ratio? Should i ever just use the thinner?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just use flow improver 99% of the time unless you're running congealed human blood into it then put in thinner

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Im sorry, I have a problem where I'm stupid, but why do you need both and not just the FI? Should i be using both? What ratio? Should i ever just use the thinner?

Real answer: Too much flow improver and you’ll start to run into adhesion problems. Thinning with 100% flow improver is the trick to getting that old crackled paint effect.

Thinner is just there to add to your paint to get your desired consistency. Too much thinner and you’ll start getting dry tip.

I like to use both :). I thin to a good consistency with thinner then add a couple of drops of flow improver to the mix. This probably comes out to like 1:5 FI to paint.

There are a lot of ways to do this. This is what I landed on that works really well with my SOTAR

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Thinner is a drying accelerator - Too much thinner will give you dry tip.
Flow improver is a drying retarder - Too much flow improver will cause your paint to spiderweb when it hits your painting surface

If you're using airbrush ready paints there's not much point in using thinner at all, just a little Flow improver.
If you're starting with a heavier body paint, you should thin it with thinner and then add some flow improver to overcome the drying effect.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
So, an adjacent hobby group came up the idea for a contest to make a Blanchitsu style gang or squad using only two plastic infantry or gang kits + any of the citadel basing materials and basic sculpting stuff. The contest fell apart but it was a fun hobby challenge in any event. At this point it's a cheap 5 man cultist box away from a full chaos cultist necromunda gang.

I chose to use kairic acolytes and orlocks as my kits along with a generous helping of citadel skulls, green stuff, and old piano wire.
These two John Blanche pieces were my inspiration.

Pistol

Swords

Witch

Familiar

Stubber

Icon

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Skails posted:

So, an adjacent hobby group came up the idea for a contest to make a Blanchitsu style gang or squad using only two plastic infantry or gang kits + any of the citadel basing materials and basic sculpting stuff. The contest fell apart but it was a fun hobby challenge in any event. At this point it's a cheap 5 man cultist box away from a full chaos cultist necromunda gang.

I chose to use kairic acolytes and orlocks as my kits along with a generous helping of citadel skulls, green stuff, and old piano wire.

Pistol

Swords

Witch

Familiar

Stubber

Icon

Weapons $200
Boots $150
Body Grease $800
Masks $3,600
Belts $150
Pants $0

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my cult is dying

Fake Edit: These rule, they are beautiful.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Skails posted:

God drat, these are great. Good job.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hixson posted:

Real answer: Too much flow improver and you’ll start to run into adhesion problems. Thinning with 100% flow improver is the trick to getting that old crackled paint effect.

Thinner is just there to add to your paint to get your desired consistency. Too much thinner and you’ll start getting dry tip.

I like to use both :). I thin to a good consistency with thinner then add a couple of drops of flow improver to the mix. This probably comes out to like 1:5 FI to paint.

There are a lot of ways to do this. This is what I landed on that works really well with my SOTAR

Great, really helpful, thanks.

What do I do with inks? I have a few scale 75 and they come out of my sotar like a firehose for some reason, I barely move the trigger and they just gush, is they're a way to make them more like a thinned paint so I can control them more?

Edit

You're a bad bitch with skills. That familiar in particular is amazing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

head58 posted:

Took me a while to get decent pictures, and these aren’t even great, because turns out rhinestones are a real nightmare to photograph.

Don’t really need an upgrade, but any shameful redtext or avatar you want to put on PantsOptional would sit well with me. :getin:

This is Diamas and Pernula of Legio Paislax (The Weeping Doves).

... you gently caress

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Skails posted:

These are all super cool, you nailed the blanche feel.

I just finished this large fella:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What do I do with inks? I have a few scale 75 and they come out of my sotar like a firehose for some reason, I barely move the trigger and they just gush, is they're a way to make them more like a thinned paint so I can control them more?

I don’t use a lot of inks tbh. In my experience they behave just like a really thin paint through an airbrush though. Try adding a drop of flow improver to your cup and turning the PSI way down.

Also this is a really good video that’s relevant to this discussion:

https://youtu.be/FuSFCiLvs1w

Some really nice models on this page. Good work all

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I don't put anything in my inks when they go through my Sotar. You have a little mechanical limiter on the back, crank that motherfucker all the way down until the trigger BARELY moves (mine's around the 0 to 1 mark from completely immobile to barely mobile... you'll see what I mean). You shouldn't really see any of the ink come out even, you should just see the colors you already have change.
There ain't no wrong way to use a paint, but I use inks really only to undershade things I've completely painted:

I shot Daler-RowneyFW Paynes Gray onto the undersides of these green armor plates to make their colors occluded from the rest of the models top light source. I built it up in several layers, waiting for it to dry so I could get a good idea of where to set the next shadows to make the gradient darker.

I also used the same processes on this models vents/exhausts to create a built up carbon effect.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
I did a quick one day paintjob on one of the BSF marines today as a test for maybe expanding into a kill team. A bit messy but I'm full of a cold and wanted to get it done quick!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I wish people would quit making excuses on miniatures that look awesome :(

But seriously, that looks very good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Little cross post;

I painted some fantasy for the first time in years

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Wow, they’re gorgeous, do more!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I used to drop Flow Improver in my airbrush reservoir first, a few drops, then some Vallejo Air Ready paint (or Citadel + Thinner), then make that "bubble up" to mix it nicely. But I don't think it's working too well, it either clogs the tip or I get spidering. People say to get the consistency of "milk" but apparently I don't know what milk is because I can never get it right.

I think I'll switch to mixing in a small bottle and then pour into the reservoir. Would that work better? Anyone can recommend cheap re-usable bottles (with a lid so I can save the paint for later models) ? I'd use some Tamiya pots but they are not anywhere near finished.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I do a few drops of paint, a drop of improver, then a couple of drops of paint. I have a metal spatula thing that fits perfectly into the feed so I twist that to violently stir my mixture and it works well

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Furism posted:

I think I'll switch to mixing in a small bottle and then pour into the reservoir. Would that work better? Anyone can recommend cheap re-usable bottles (with a lid so I can save the paint for later models) ? I'd use some Tamiya pots but they are not anywhere near finished.

I use these little Reditainers. 1oz, with lid, 500 for $16. In the long, long run, you'd save money with reusable, but why bother with cleanup when you can get single use for pennies.

https://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-Plastic-Disposable-Portion-Perfect/dp/B009VSFZC0/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CTH5507EDFVNMACZC1G

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I use these little Reditainers. 1oz, with lid, 500 for $16. In the long, long run, you'd save money with reusable, but why bother with cleanup when you can get single use for pennies.

https://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-Plastic-Disposable-Portion-Perfect/dp/B009VSFZC0/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CTH5507EDFVNMACZC1G

Thanks, I considered those but I want reusable because I kind of try to not use single use plastic things.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Furism posted:

Thanks, I considered those but I want reusable because I kind of try to not use single use plastic things.

I salute you and your ecosystem-friendly ways, sir.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Almost finished up with these guys, still waiting on my Greenstuffworld roller to make my Eldar Craftworld bases:

The guy with the bionics will be the plasma guy

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Furism posted:

Would paper ketchup cups be a suitable eco-friendly alternative?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Could probably even clean them out to use again. Medicine dosing cups are pretty cheap too and very durable for reuse. If you aren't using something metal or pointy to mix you can just leave the dried paint in. Once there's a few layers of dried stuff a lot of it should be peelable. Otherwise Simple Green soak, etc.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

moths posted:

Would paper ketchup cups be a suitable eco-friendly alternative?

Wax paper isn't great. Various solvents like alcohol will eat that was leaving you with regular paper.

Regular paper isn't great for liquids.

I can second the medicine dosing cups, which are very reusable and have a built in measuring marks for mixing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Foam egg containers.

At least you're recycling.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Furism posted:

I'd use some Tamiya pots but they are not anywhere near finished.

You can buy some spare Tamiya pots (just search for "Tamiya Paint Mixing Jars" and you'll find a variety of sizes). I have a few, and they work well. The seal is really good on them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Mr. Color mixing trays. Ten a pack for like five bucks, I have yet to kill one with any kind of solvent or paint, and they're ultimately recyclable if you crush one or something.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

grassy gnoll posted:

Mr. Color mixing trays. Ten a pack for like five bucks, I have yet to kill one with any kind of solvent or paint, and they're ultimately recyclable if you crush one or something.

They're even unisex!

:thunk:

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I'm interested in trying out resin water effects for bases like the ones on this blog. Does anyone here have any recommendations for brands to try/avoid? Any general tips? It looks like the type of thing that will take a lot of trial and error to get right.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The biggest thing to look out for is to find a brand that won't yellow over time (unless you want your water effects to look like piss). Clear 5-minute epoxies are really bad about this, so avoid them. ArtResin is supposed to be really good about not yellowing and has anti-UV additives in it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Michael's sells a few Cast'nCraft clear vinyl resin kits that work quite well. Tinting dyes as well, if you want to change the water color.

Smooth-On has a bunch as well. Harder to find though, and more expensive as well, as they're pro-level products.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Starting a new project:

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to read around and figure out something. I look forward to eventually posting a first attempt that will have at least two cat hairs trapped in the resin

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Grundma posted:

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to read around and figure out something. I look forward to eventually posting a first attempt that will have at least two cat hairs trapped in the resin

Just put a cup over it upside down while it cures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Starting a new project:

I sat here thinking of a reason why anyone would have all their guns facing backwards until I realized it was a Crimson Skies plane.

My dad had a metal P-51, heard the story about stepping on a propeller blade a few times