Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why would you put a kitchen in a public library?

I was going with 1970s community college, but public library works, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why would you put a kitchen in a public library?
For meal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The interior is actually pretty nice though I'm not sure what's up with the blue stairway.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need to buy seven window treatments. I'm definitely on the low end of the budget scale on this one (at least for now), but I also don't want the $4 vinyl pull down shades that always break and look atrocious. The windows are 34x70 I think, if that matters.

1. What style is the best intersection of functionality, appearance, and price? I was looking at either roman shades or some sort of blind
2. What's the most economical way to buy them? Are there good used resources, etc? I looked on labor day but none of the sales seemed different than the normal thing they run all the time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I need to buy seven window treatments. I'm definitely on the low end of the budget scale on this one (at least for now), but I also don't want the $4 vinyl pull down shades that always break and look atrocious. The windows are 34x70 I think, if that matters.

1. What style is the best intersection of functionality, appearance, and price? I was looking at either roman shades or some sort of blind
2. What's the most economical way to buy them? Are there good used resources, etc? I looked on labor day but none of the sales seemed different than the normal thing they run all the time.

Go to Ikea, they have blinds in your price and size range that will not be ugly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PRADA SLUT posted:

railings should extend through the entire house and occupants swing around them from room to room like tree monkeys

I loving knew you were into parkour or that poo poo "Tag" world championship sport

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Blinds are probably going to give you the best combination of those factors. You can get blinds that are opaque, or that transmit a little light even when closed. This is more important than one might think, because when it is dark outside and lights are on inside, the ones that transmit mean you don't have as much privacy as you might think you have.

I second the idea of IKEA as a source. If you are in the US, Target and Home Depot also have inexpensive ones. There are also online stores like NextDayBlinds.com that have reasonable options, and they'll send you samples for color matching if you want. (That's where I ended up buying mine, and they were really easy to deal with.) Blinds are hard to find used because of the number of sizes - it isn't impossible but you'd have to be very lucky to find seven that fit your windows.

Before you go shopping, decide whether you want them mounted inside the window casing, or outside the casing (e.g. on your walls or trim) since that affects the size and mounting hardware that you'll need. The depth of the window casing matters for that - if the casing is too shallow to secure the mounting brackets, then you end up doing an outside casing mount and the blinds need to be a little wider in order to look good.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

For each window, what functionality do you want?

If the window is not overlooked, do you actually need any window dressing at all?

Or do you want some extra insulation / cosyness?

Don’t discount things like window film, which can be a really neat solution sometimes.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

If there’s a habitat restore near you, that might be worth checking out. I found a pair of top-down/bottom-up blinds at one for $3 each that were just a tiny bit too wide and just trimmed them down myself.

Otherwise strongly agreeing with the ikea suggestion.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/GeologyTime/status/1173630179572367360

I mean, I like it, but at the same time it feels criminal to destroy crystals that way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I like it, but at the same time it feels criminal to destroy crystals that way.

Can't wait to dust that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't wait to dust that.

Can't wait for the water to splash literally anywhere but in that "bowl" when washing your hands, brushing your teeth, etc...

Forget dust, think of the permanent line of mildew that will form where that bowl meets the vanity.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't wait to dust that.

And to wash off the spit, toothpaste, liquid face masks, hair spray residue, liquid soap, etc from the spikes as well!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Encase that thing in a block of resin and it would be really neat looking and also practical for use in a bathroom.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

PurpleXVI posted:

This. If that is a natural druzy surface with that many amethysts and that depth of color, it's close to museum quality.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

value-brand cereal posted:

And to wash off the spit, toothpaste, liquid face masks, hair spray residue, liquid soap, etc from the spikes as well!

I doubt that’s in a bathroom that people actually use except to wash their hands. It’s probably in a powder room and it’s never been within 50’ of toothpaste.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
same house

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'll take "Seething Marital Resentments" for $800, Alex

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sure. why not

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Remember folks

Relaxation

IS WHO YOU ARE

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

luxury handset posted:

sure. why not

Is that a converted church?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

luxury handset posted:

sure. why not

It took my brain a bit to figure out this isn't an Escher painting but I dig it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Is that a converted church?

converted barn

also:

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 17, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There have been some interesting church to apartment conversions in Chicago since all the congregations are shrinking. I tried to find some better pictures but all I could get are these weirdly bad pictures from the developer:

Seems interesting. Not sure if I could do it since it would feel kinda creepy at night and also everyone in the neighborhood would hate me for being a gentrifier or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Badger of Basra posted:

There have been some interesting church to apartment conversions in Chicago since all the congregations are shrinking. I tried to find some better pictures but all I could get are these weirdly bad pictures from the developer:

Seems interesting. Not sure if I could do it since it would feel kinda creepy at night and also everyone in the neighborhood would hate me for being a gentrifier or something.

Not to mention all the ghosts.

:hmmyes:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
apparently there's a problem with church apartment/homes where people will just like, walk into your loving house, not expecting that a building which looks like a church on the outside might be a private residence

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

luxury handset posted:

apparently there's a problem with church apartment/homes where people will just like, walk into your loving house, not expecting that a building which looks like a church on the outside might be a private residence

Well if you're leaving your door unlocked that's on you imo

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Badger of Basra posted:

just lol if you don’t sit by the hearth in crippling fear of abstract minorities breaking in, a cold sweat on your brow, double-fisting breaching shotguns to protect the homestead

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ll be interested to see what mega church conversions look like when Scientology takes over. The stadium seating will be a design challenge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BigFactory posted:

I’ll be interested to see what mega church conversions look like when Scientology takes over. The stadium seating will be a design challenge.

That’s a real photo of a full‐size stadium, but it was a temporary exhibition.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Churches are pretty cool buildings, architecturally speaking. Too bad they're churches.

E:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not to mention all the ghosts.

:hmmyes:

What if the abandoned church organ is playing Inna Gadda Davida?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 17, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

just lol if you don’t sit by the hearth in crippling fear of abstract minorities breaking in, a cold sweat on your brow, double-fisting breaching shotguns to protect the homestead

true woke is removing all the doors on your house, tbh the animals have just as much of a right to the land as you, maybe more because their families have been there longer and you stole it from them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

luxury handset posted:

sure. why not

It's good to see the faux reclaimed barn wood aesthetic actually part of a reclaimed barn but it still looks like poo poo.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

To update you all on my blinds saga, after reviewing the Ikea options, Home Depot, Target, and six or seven webfronts, I decided to buy the $8 blinds from HD. We're so unsure of how we're going to use the space, we figured we'll toss in the cheapest thing we can find, see if the room works as our office, and if it does, upgrade to a better option once we understand how we interact with the windows. If we hate the room as an office and move out, we'll put the blinds in some of the other windows in the house and install decent curtains.

Thanks for all the insight, when I get around to putting more treatments in different parts of the house, I'll likely be checking in with Ikea.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Badger of Basra posted:

Agreed. I have friends who do this. Periodically, they could complain about neighbors barging in. I have minimal sympathy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. I have friends who do this. Periodically, they could complain about neighbors barging in. I have minimal sympathy.

I read a story a couple weeks ago about a rash of car thefts in the rich Chicago burbs and it turns out 100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them :shepface:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tag your NSFW

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

rear end to rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

There needs to be a third piano there, with a model of the moon hanging over them.