Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Not sure my local book shop sold it to me Friday morning and I don’t think they were supposed to so I’m just reading it and keeping it to myself for now. Don’t want an Abercrombie Snape kills Dumbledore moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I read the first book, and maybe its just the young protagonist? I agree with you, though. I think Y/A books have always dealt with mature content, but from a younger persons perspective. The language may also be a little simpler, but I can't think of examples.

It’s been awhile since I read the books, but now thinking about it the language was toned down slightly, but I don’t recall much else (besides the young protagonists) being anywhere close to what I associate with YA.

I guess my associations with YA are confined solely to the Harry Potter novels or the Hunger Games books. Other than those, and of course Joe’s YA books, I haven’t really read anything else ‘YA’ (unless you count Catcher In the Rye).

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I read the YA trilogy, the first one was so-so but then the POV in the second book swaps to a girl who is way more interesting, better at politics and much less bland as a protag.

Off memory, very early in the book (minor scene spoilers) she reacts to getting the brush off and everyone deciding not to help her family... by shanking herself right there in the meeting room and saying she's the only one in the room who isn't a little bitch that's afraid to bleed*

*paraphrased

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Started re reading these books. Just finished Best Served Cold. Just learned theirs a new book coming out tomorrow. Excited for that. But now I have to finish the other books all the sooner.

Edit: The Heroes is definitely my least favorite book in the series. Dont care for northmen when you have more than one in a party.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 16, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You’re crazy. That was my favorite.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

You’re crazy. That was my favorite.

Calder is the best character in the book.

Wonder if we’ll see him in the new book...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You haven’t read Red County yet, and that was my least favorite. To many long slogs of low activity, and Shy and Tenple left me a little wanting, as Abercrombie protagonists go

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
All of you are equally mad. Each Abercrombie book in the first law series is better than the last. The Heroes might actually be better than Red Country but the setting of RC is so good that I chose to overlook this fact. Temple is a great character though his catchphrase of "Oh god" needed a little work.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hemp Knight posted:

Calder is the best character in the book.

Wonder if we’ll see him in the new book...

The best thing about Scale and Calder was Logen naming his oxen after them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

All of you are equally mad. Each Abercrombie book in the first law series is better than the last. The Heroes might actually be better than Red Country but the setting of RC is so good that I chose to overlook this fact. Temple is a great character though his catchphrase of "Oh god" needed a little work.

Heroes will always beat Red Country for me just because of That Chapter. I’m a sucker for some enjoyable POV shenanigans.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

coolusername posted:

I read the YA trilogy, the first one was so-so but then the POV in the second book swaps to a girl who is way more interesting, better at politics and much less bland as a protag.

Off memory, very early in the book (minor scene spoilers) she reacts to getting the brush off and everyone deciding not to help her family... by shanking herself right there in the meeting room and saying she's the only one in the room who isn't a little bitch that's afraid to bleed*

*paraphrased

I think you may be mixing up the second and third books. Thorn is great but she is not good at politics. The second book was my favourite of the three, even though the interplay of the two protagonists was very obvious.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Probably, it's been a while! Point is that the other two are better than the first by a fairly ok margin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Heroes will always beat Red Country for me just because of That Chapter. I’m a sucker for some enjoyable POV shenanigans.
I definitely like Heroes more overall but glama golden's chapter in red country slays me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Only managed to read for twenty minutes when the new book downloaded last night- didn't realise we were getting a pov of Finree's kid. The Dogman's daughter, too.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I definitely like Heroes more overall but glama golden's chapter in red country slays me.

Don’t forget his fight against Lamb in the ring, when he finds out that he’s about to go back to the mud.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hemp Knight posted:

Don’t forget his fight against Lamb in the ring, when he finds out that he’s about to go back to the mud.
This is the one I meant - did he have another?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I found Red Country a bit bland but yeah the Glama Golden fight was baller. As was the later fight with the mercenaries where Logen is throwing severed body parts at the mercenaries and laughing - I know the Bloody Nine is meant to be horrifying and nauseatingly bloodthirsty but he's also badass.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is the one I meant - did he have another?

Ah, thought you meant the earlier chapter where he talks to Shy/goes to the barbers.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I think I'm the only person I know who likes Best Served Cold best. I'll never get over the whorehouse clusterfuck scene peaking with "apologize to my loving dice!!"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I think I enjoyed Red Country the most because it was the least misery inducing of the three.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You haven’t read Red County yet, and that was my least favorite. To many long slogs of low activity, and Shy and Tenple left me a little wanting, as Abercrombie protagonists go

It was a decent book, but my least favorite too. I think that was more of a genre thing for me though since the book is basically a Western set in the First Law universe. Obviously I am not a huge fan of the Western genre.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

It was a decent book, but my least favorite too. I think that was more of a genre thing for me though since the book is basically a Western set in the First Law universe. Obviously I am not a huge fan of the Western genre.

This is my thought as well, though I also don't love the revenge "genre" but BSC just made me love its weird crew of characters.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

I found Red Country a bit bland but yeah the Glama Golden fight was baller. As was the later fight with the mercenaries where Logen is throwing severed body parts at the mercenaries and laughing - I know the Bloody Nine is meant to be horrifying and nauseatingly bloodthirsty but he's also badass.

lol that scene was the first thing I thought of when I saw Venom.
“...why??”
“Pile of bodies, pile of heads!”
:hmmyes:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thumper57 posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who likes Best Served Cold best. I'll never get over the whorehouse clusterfuck scene peaking with "apologize to my loving dice!!"

I liked BSC because it was basically Abercrombie doing a novel in the style of Tarantino. It's probably my second or third favorite of his.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
The Heroes is probably the best novel Abercrombie has ever written, though I do get that the northmen have a very distinctive voice, and if that voice annoys you then half of The Heroes will annoy you. Personally I love those good-old-boy, weed-smoking, landlocked Viking/hillbillies.

I simultaneously enjoyed Red Country the most out of all of the books, and spent the whole time I read it cringing at how blatantly it was ripping off other sources. There are some chapters where you have to wonder if Cormac McCarthy could sue for copy write infringement, and other chapters where you’re like: “Oh, this is just a scene from Unforgiven” or “Oh, this is blatantly just Deadwood, isn’t it?” And, like everyone points out, Shy South is blatantly the same character as Cass from Fallout: New Vegas.

It’s a fun book to read, though. Maybe it’s just that being very aware of the influences going in made it a strange experience for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The three non-trilogy books were Abercrombie blatantly sitting down to write his version of very specific things (a revenge movie, a Gods and Generals type war novel, and a western) so I found playing “spot the inspiration” to be a pretty fun part of reading them.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I'm really enjoying the new book so far, I was worried that I wouldn't get attached to the new characters as easily but so far I'm loving all of them!

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Oh my god I can't believe I forgot The Incredible Ronco

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
This book is definitely better enjoyed as an audiobook. I could almost believe it was written specifically to be read by Steven Pacey, he absolutely nails the voices and inflections and tones for every scene. There are just way too many blubbering gurgles and fucks that are actually meant to be 'fuuuuurghhcks' for you to give them appropriate justice in your head. The preview chapter dude posted earlier is case and point as far as that goes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the new book out on audiobook yet?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yup.

https://www.audible.com/pd/A-Little...p_c1_lProduct_1

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

RCarr posted:

Is the new book out on audiobook yet?

I am almost done listening to it. It came out either the day or the day after the print release.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I love that Stephen Pacey gave Glokta's daughter just a touch of his "accent". It's perfect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thumper57 posted:

That whole scene is a perfect farce, and I love it.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Amazing book, definitely met my expectations. Read it all in one day like I knew I would. My only gripe was doing the partner swap thing again with Orso/Savine/Leo/Rikke. We already saw this in BSC.

Sure was a lot of loving

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
About to start reading the new book. Any important sections of the previous books I should review beforehand? Particular minor characters, secondary plot arcs, etc? It's probably been 5 years since I read the original trilogy and 3 years since the other novels.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Magitek posted:

About to start reading the new book. Any important sections of the previous books I should review beforehand? Particular minor characters, secondary plot arcs, etc? It's probably been 5 years since I read the original trilogy and 3 years since the other novels.

I’m early on, but Best Served Cold has many direct references.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I have the book currently but I'm honestly afraid to read it because I know I'm going to want the next book in the trilogy. Maybe I'll re-read beat served cold.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Magitek posted:

Go in blind. The references will be there for you and certain things, if forgotten will be gut punches all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

So based on the prophecy I'm assuming we all think Logen Ninegfingers is going to show back up in book 2 based on the prophecy mentioning a lamb eating a wolf or whatever it was

Magitek posted:

That Ardee's kid is the bastard daughter of King Jezal is probably the main thing that changes how you read the book. It gets revealed to a character at the end of the book if you forgot it was a thing and can be shocking there if you didn't know it or forgot.