Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://twitter.com/panos_panay/status/1172196805208993797

Anyone know what that windows logo looking like that could be a hint of?

Looks kinda like bismuth, so it probably means that their next device is going to be heavy, brittle and won't conduct heat very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nielsm posted:

The purpose of Program Files being locked down is exactly so you can't modify things in there with regular user permissions. With full write access to the installed software all the time, anything that runs can just modify anything else silently.What kind of things are you doing that involves editing config files (system level, not user level) all the time?

It's the same reason /usr is only writable by root on Unix systems.

As far as I've ever noticed there's nothing stopping regular users from modifying things in PF, all the lockdown only prevent apps from modifying other apps. Sometimes I gotta get in there and change how resolution scaling is being handled and it's never thrown a UAC prompt at me for it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you change compatibility settings for a program it's a per user setting stored in registry. Just because the exe file is in PF doesn't mean you're modifying the exe file itself. There is a button to set system-wide compatibility settings instead of per user, you get a UAC prompt clicking that since it stores the settings in HKLM instead of HKCU.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes, but on Linux/Unix it actually works you know. Like sudo actually being pleasant to work with when compared to UAC.
When I read this I can't help but wonder how much this is your own honest opinion, and how much of it is the same old tired 10+ year old out-of-date nonsense being repeated yet again when someone wants to bitch about Windows.
Yeah, UAC was annoying way back when Vista launched. Which was apparently actually by design because Microsoft thought that if they annoyed users with UAC notifications, it would push developers to making their software more secure.:psyduck:
But it's not 2007. If you have to deal with UAC so often on Windows 10 that it becomes frustrating, you're doing something and/or are using software that you probably shouldn't.

It is kind of amazing how much weird stuff there still floating around about UAC. At work someone got some fabulous install instructions for Solidworks from a reseller. According to them he had to:
- Disable UAC
- Disable the antivirus
- Install Solidworks
- Leave UAC disabled "to ensure smoother user experience".
Activating the antivirus wasn't mentioned anywhere. But the instructions did recommend McAffee at the end.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Bit late, but disabling the dimming on UAC (aka removing its secure desktop mode) is functionally equivalent to turning UAC off. If it's not running in secure desktop mode, anything else can interact with the UAC dialog meaning that something can just automatically accept it for you.

For gently caress's sake. Is this true?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Raygereio posted:

It is kind of amazing how much weird stuff there still floating around about UAC. At work someone got some fabulous install instructions for Solidworks from a reseller. According to them he had to:
- Disable UAC
- Disable the antivirus
- Install Solidworks
Activating the antivirus wasn't mentioned anywhere. But the instructions did recommend McAffee at the end.

From the complaints my dad made about Solidworks, I'd totally believe it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I admin Solidworks at my job and you don’t have to do any of that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

isndl posted:

As far as I've ever noticed there's nothing stopping regular users from modifying things in PF, all the lockdown only prevent apps from modifying other apps. Sometimes I gotta get in there and change how resolution scaling is being handled and it's never thrown a UAC prompt at me for it.

lol Jesus Christ

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

isndl posted:

If that's in your Steam folder, it's because of Steam changing its folder to have nonstandard permissions that let anything do everything in there. Mainly because game devs suck at doing it right and Valve doesn't want to deal with people upset that their copy of Hentai Puzzle Slideshow 3 isn't working right.

isndl
May 2, 2012

nielsm posted:

When you change compatibility settings for a program it's a per user setting stored in registry. Just because the exe file is in PF doesn't mean you're modifying the exe file itself. There is a button to set system-wide compatibility settings instead of per user, you get a UAC prompt clicking that since it stores the settings in HKLM instead of HKCU.

News to me, but makes sense. I'm poking around my folders now that I'm not phone-posting and everything in PF is stuff I don't want to touch like drivers, while my Applications folder is primarily games and game-supporting apps, or stuff that came with self-extractors instead of installers. Guess my installation system isn't secure but it's nothing I'd be worried about if I lost with no backups either.

Geemer posted:

If that's in your Steam folder, it's because of Steam changing its folder to have nonstandard permissions that let anything do everything in there. Mainly because game devs suck at doing it right and Valve doesn't want to deal with people upset that their copy of Hentai Puzzle Slideshow 3 isn't working right.

Yeah, Steam games are the biggest 'have to dig through the folders for something specific' reason, whether it's changing the scaling on the executable or hitting the ini files because some tweaks aren't exposed through the ingame UI. It shouldn't be so complicated just to get borderless windowed mode but it is what it is sometimes.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PirateBob posted:

For gently caress's sake. Is this true?

It's actually worse than that.

Everything other than "Always notify" collapses into "meh"

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160816-00/?p=94105

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

At the behest of this thread some time ago, I cranked that poo poo UP a notch to maximum. I have an upper-mid-tier gaming PC so the prompt is fast and easy to deal with.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ofecks posted:

At the behest of this thread some time ago, I cranked that poo poo UP a notch to maximum. I have an upper-mid-tier gaming PC so the prompt is fast and easy to deal with.

After re-reading that post to find it, I also cranked mine up to max. Prompt only takes a second for me, and the increase in security is worth the trade-off for me.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What kind of threats would get through Windows Defender/Malwarebytes Premium and inject itself into explorer to present a false UAC etc? What are you guys most worried about? And how would those threats get in?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PirateBob posted:

What kind of threats would get through Windows Defender/Malwarebytes Premium and inject itself into explorer to present a false UAC etc? What are you guys most worried about? And how would those threats get in?
It's not showing a fake UAC prompt if that's what you're thinking. It's using tricks (doing stuff through programs that are built into windows) so that no UAC prompts are shown unless you have it set to "Always Prompt."

Actual ransomware does this and won't necessarily get caught by Windows Defender or other antivirus programs.

You end up with ransomware by not keeping your software up to date, installing poo poo off the internet, or just being really unlucky and encountering a 0-day vulnerability in your browser or whatever.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

mystes posted:

It's not showing a fake UAC prompt if that's what you're thinking. It's using tricks (doing stuff through programs that are built into windows) so that no UAC prompts are shown unless you have it set to "Always Prompt."

Actual ransomware does this and won't necessarily get caught by Windows Defender or other antivirus programs.

You end up with ransomware by not keeping your software up to date, installing poo poo off the internet, or just being really unlucky and encountering a 0-day vulnerability in your browser or whatever.

So if you have UAC set to "always prompt" and you never click yes on some stupid poo poo, you're basically invulnerable to ransomware?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So it sounds like defender doesn't loving work if it's that easy to get around it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Javid posted:

So it sounds like defender doesn't loving work if it's that easy to get around it.
Are you taking about Defender or UAC? Antivirus software isn't magic, and as previously stated, UAC now defaults to a weaker mode than in Vista because people complained.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

So if you have UAC set to "always prompt" and you never click yes on some stupid poo poo, you're basically invulnerable to ransomware?

Not quite, sometimes you get some EternalBlue poo poo and an attack goes from zero to owned with no stops or waiting.

But that's what computer security is about, nothing is ever perfect but everything you do to add defense in depth is a help. If you follow every one of the best practices you're still not invulnerable. Your chances of getting hit are reduced.

As long as it's your home computer, do what you like and make your own best choices about security vs convenience. I for example would have a hard time setting UAC to the highest level, but I'm not gonna turn it off entirely because that's too much risk. If you want to set your own risk tolerance way higher that's on you but a) you should actually inform yourself about how much the risk changes and b) have a backup plan.

Javid posted:

You know the measles vaccine isn't 100% effective either, right? Why bother with that poo poo? gently caress vaccines!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Javid posted:

Do you know of an anti virus that can defend against a user with admin rights clicking on the “Yes, please install all of the malware” button?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PirateBob posted:

This, plus have ad and script blockers on in your browser will get you closer than you would be otherwise.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
By design, Ransomware packages don't need UAC authorization. All they care about is encrypting documents accessible directly from the current user context, which aren't in UAC involved situations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

By design, Ransomware packages don't need UAC authorization. All they care about is encrypting documents accessible directly from the current user context, which aren't in UAC involved situations.
You don't need a UAC bypass just to encrypt the current users data, but a bunch of ransomware uses them anyway in the process of getting various things set up.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

fishmech posted:

This is why you turn on controlled folder access. You’ll need to whitelist a couple apps, but it’s wild to see how many programs want access all over the place.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PirateBob posted:

There is a baked in exception list of things that will elevate without prompting (including rundll32 for gods sake) that you can use to elevate from user to root without consent if the slider isn’t on max

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 15, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

This is why you turn on controlled folder access. You’ll need to whitelist a couple apps, but it’s wild to see how many programs want access all over the place.

Even without that setting, UAC enforces folder and process integrity levels to help with this. Pop a browser RCE? It’s probably not going anywhere because the process is low integrity and can’t leave appdata\LocalLow

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 16, 2019

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I've had UAC on max for years after learning of that particular design vulnerability. I don't find it particularly annoying, so meh. :shrug: I do like how the Settings app can be super janky and pop up UAC prompts without much warning if you simply try to access some specific area of the app. Oh yeah and also I can't use Refresh in the app either because of UAC being set to strict, funnily enough.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ruflux posted:

Oh yeah and also I can't use Refresh in the app either because of UAC being set to strict, funnily enough.

What, really? You mean the main settings section that's supposed to replace the old control panel which they bafflingly haven't entirely ditched yet, right?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

isndl posted:

all the lockdown only prevent apps from modifying other apps.
Please. Tell. Us. You. Realize. This. Is. Almost. Entirely. The. Whole. Point.

Please.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I enabled Controlled Folder Access after reading the tail of this thread. It doesn't do anything? Does it only trigger with unsigned executables or whatever?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I enabled Controlled Folder Access after reading the tail of this thread. It doesn't do anything? Does it only trigger with unsigned executables or whatever?

Some applications are whitelisted by default, but it absolutely will trigger with all kinds of applications. Just keep using it for a while, you'll definitely notice. Also, of course, real-time protection needs to be enabled.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Raygereio posted:

When I read this I can't help but wonder how much this is your own honest opinion, and how much of it is the same old tired 10+ year old out-of-date nonsense being repeated yet again when someone wants to bitch about Windows.
Yeah, UAC was annoying way back when Vista launched. Which was apparently actually by design because Microsoft thought that if they annoyed users with UAC notifications, it would push developers to making their software more secure.:psyduck:
But it's not 2007. If you have to deal with UAC so often on Windows 10 that it becomes frustrating, you're doing something and/or are using software that you probably shouldn't.

- Disable UAC
- Disable the antivirus
- Install Solidworks

I have it on, because why not. But stupid stuff like not prompting if you want to save anyway like when you accidentally forgot to open notepad.exe as an admin. Or removing your network drives because it runs in a different context, therefore the installer you started that needs admin access, fails anyway.
I know *why* it works as it does, but it's just shoddy IMHO. Like you said, it's been 10 years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

It basically stops unapproved processes from scraping through your my documents and other library folders so they don't get cryptolockered by a user-mode process.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It basically stops unapproved processes from scraping through your my documents and other library folders so they don't get cryptolockered by a user-mode process.

Ok I just turned this on. If something that's not already whitelisted wants access it'll tell me and not just silently break, right?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ok I just turned this on. If something that's not already whitelisted wants access it'll tell me and not just silently break, right?

It's been a while since I've had something trip it but I recall it throwing up notifications when something hits it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yep, it'll show a notification that access has been blocked.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you're doing something fullscreen like bideo james though you might get silent failures at any point

Also it looks like they've changed it to include protected memory access too? That used to be a separate setting and that caused me problems with virtualisation (I couldn't install/update Intel's HAXM thing, just got unhelpful failures until I disabled that)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Yeah I run with that on as well and once in a while I get "svchost.exe has been blocked from making changes to memory". Kinda scary :ohdear:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

baka kaba posted:

If you're doing something fullscreen like bideo james though you might get silent failures at any point

Also it looks like they've changed it to include protected memory access too? That used to be a separate setting and that caused me problems with virtualisation (I couldn't install/update Intel's HAXM thing, just got unhelpful failures until I disabled that)

If protected memory is a Hyper-V thing, then no, HAXM will not work, because Hyper-V still doesn’t pass through virtualization extensions, even in Domain 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Please. Tell. Us. You. Realize. This. Is. Almost. Entirely. The. Whole. Point.

Please.

When I wrote that post I was mistakenly assuming that executables were being given a subset of permissions specific to their own folders, though it turns out I was just dealing with folders using nonstandard permissions. Things were working so I didn't delve any deeper than that, and as time went on everything I cared about moved to AppData anyways. :shrug: