Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
iirc it was pretty well known that rms browses using a crontask that pulls pages and emails them to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there should be a gpl that disallows running built-on-gpl software on a server without source code distribution. companies (especially for profit companies) should not be able to benefit on open source licenses without contributing back or releasing their developments after a certain time, much like art becomes public domain after a while

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Penisface posted:

there should be a gpl that disallows running built-on-gpl software on a server without source code distribution. companies (especially for profit companies) should not be able to benefit on open source licenses without contributing back or releasing their developments after a certain time, much like art becomes public domain after a while

isn't this gpl3 already?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Penisface posted:

agpl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

its how you can be an "open source" startup with server software

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
efb

Penisface posted:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hobbesmaster posted:

minifying is still "free"

not under the gpl: “The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the only thing to really mind about stuff like the gplv3 and similar stuff is that it is not *that* important, a nerdy crusade in a world with more important causes. still a fine and good thing to attempt nonetheless.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lets be real: nothings going to come of this.

people will just forget and move on to the next thing and rms will keep being... rms

nothing much will happen to rms, but the precedent that shielding creeps, or just keeping them around, might hurt you in the future is not that unlikely to stick. baby steps, but i do think things are getting better.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

agpl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

its how you can be an "open source" startup with server software

thanks i stand corrected

still most of the googles and facebooks of the world should eventually be forced to show how their algorithms work, purely because they can not be trusted to self regulate in the face of gdpr or whatever regulation there is

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Penisface posted:

thanks i stand corrected

still most of the googles and facebooks of the world should eventually be forced to show how their algorithms work, purely because they can not be trusted to self regulate in the face of gdpr or whatever regulation there is

yeah, but it was always a libertarian-style fantasy that the clever hacker would use his individual freedoms and smarts to keep the companies under control (e.g. rms origins in just cloning symbolics lisp systems for free, to exactly no effect whatsoever). need good actual regulation to keep some level of control over a company like google.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
since this turned into licensechat, i have a question: if my pipeline or whatever relies on gpl3 bash just to deploy stuff, does that pit everything else at risk? really not sure of the boundaries of 'derived work'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just use the death and repudiation license

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://github.com/indeyets/syck/blob/master/COPYING

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so zombies can use his software under the D&R license but not ghosts or angels?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

not under the gpl: “The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.”

in that sense the classic Macintosh System Software was free software from the get-go since you just need to use a disassembler and start hacking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

(e.g. rms origins in just cloning Symbolics lisp systems for free, to exactly no effect whatsoever)

Symbolics caught him straight copying code that they’d put in their directory on MIT’s system into the CADR or LMI directory

and LMI had to straight tell him to stop because they didn’t want to get in trouble

if he thinks he’s right in doing something he’s not going to stop unless forced

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

psiox posted:

since this turned into licensechat, i have a question: if my pipeline or whatever relies on gpl3 bash just to deploy stuff, does that pit everything else at risk? really not sure of the boundaries of 'derived work'

as I understand it you should be good here. a derived work would be a modification of bash itself, if you only execute the system-provided bash that should not apply the license to the running executable or any executable bash decides to launch on your behalf

this is probably something rms would love to change

also keep in mind that the gpl has never been tested in court

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

gpl v2 is still time for your own software, just make it clear that you’re open to selling commercial licenses under different terms

epic thissery

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use mit or bsd or mspl

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah. use the most punishing license you can and offer to sell licenses to commercial users. why should facebook get to use your poo poo for free

timick
Apr 7, 2016

I hope this means that we can get a "2020: Year of the NetBSD Desktop" thread going.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

use mit or bsd or mspl

shagger was right!

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Shaggar posted:

use mit or bsd or mspl

Everything I've ever released has been under BSD and gently caress you if you want to release under the nerd club licence. I'm trying to go over in my head how many men I've been around that were like rms right now and it's disturbing the gently caress out of me, it's a lot. I really should have punched more of them.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

psiox posted:

the gpl is a copyright license. the only thing it covers is distributing copies of things. if you’re distributing copies of bash then you need to worry about the bash license. if you’re just running it then you don’t.

the only case where running a gpl program could infect the thing you run it on is if the program copies part of itself into the output. this is why gcc, for example, has a specific addition to its license stating that as a special exception you can use its runtime code in proprietary software you compile with it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

don't lump this chill scaly bro in with open source monster rms tyvm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

the gpl is a copyright license. the only thing it covers is distributing copies of things. if you’re distributing copies of bash then you need to worry about the bash license. if you’re just running it then you don’t.

the only case where running a gpl program could infect the thing you run it on is if the program copies part of itself into the output. this is why gcc, for example, has a specific addition to its license stating that as a special exception you can use its runtime code in proprietary software you compile with it.

one need be careful about hard and fast rules though. this instance seems good, but e.g. the original objective-c frontend for gcc was initially written (by next) thinking they'd be able to keep that closed as all they did was produce an abstract data structure for gcc, but once lawyers got involved they laughed that idea out of the room; since the frontend served no purpose in a world where gcc didn't exist they considered it obviously derived.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eschaton posted:

in that sense the classic Macintosh System Software was free software from the get-go since you just need to use a disassembler and start hacking

stebe didn't mind if people hacked up the system apps and sold them as their own? :nsa:

i agree with this general take though. all it takes is one clever hacker who knows how to disassemble and annotate the app, and then everyone gets to play with it. i remember when minecraft was being developed, the mod community had written a bunch of tools and guides about how to decompile the "obfuscated" java bytecode and update your mods for when a new version of the game came out

animist
Aug 28, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

iirc it was pretty well known that rms browses using a crontask that pulls pages and emails them to himself.

but why

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

one reason is that he doesn't use GUIs because video card drivers. not sure why he doesn't just use lynx though

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Raere posted:

one reason is that he doesn't use GUIs because video card drivers. not sure why he doesn't just use lynx though

To be slightly fair, GPU drivers have been the easiest way externally into the kernel for like forever, and nobody wanted to talk about it because it was pretty much unfixable.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

rms has always been a pedophilia defender

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

timick posted:

I hope this means that we can get a "2020: Year of the NetBSD Desktop" thread going.

CDE on NetBSD is coming along too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

need to get NetBSD atop OSF Mach next

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

stebe didn't mind if people hacked up the system apps and sold them as their own? :nsa:

that wasn’t allowed but you didn’t have to do that you could just make an INIT that would patch your changes into place

then when you empty trash Oscar the Grouch can come out and sing “I love trash!”

and when you let the computer alone for 5 minutes you can see pretty fireworks

and when you eject a floppy your little computer can go “ptui!”

etc.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
and then your computer crashes constantly and you make people sigh when they ask if you installed any stupid garbage

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

e-dt posted:

rms has always been a pedophilia defender

rms: Well, you were unconscious, you weren't using your body so someone else using it is logically fine.
me: It's my body!
rms: gnu gnu gnu

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one need be careful about hard and fast rules though. this instance seems good, but e.g. the original objective-c frontend for gcc was initially written (by next) thinking they'd be able to keep that closed as all they did was produce an abstract data structure for gcc, but once lawyers got involved they laughed that idea out of the room; since the frontend served no purpose in a world where gcc didn't exist they considered it obviously derived.

sure, but that’s a case of someone trying to find a loophole in the license that would let them extend a gpl program without technically making a derived work, when the explicit intention of the license is to prevent exactly that.

yes, if you’re going to try to find a loophole in a legal document, you should very definitely talk to a lawyer about it before you do a bunch of work.

but that’s very different from just doing something straightforward like using a program to do the thing it was designed to do, in the way it was designed to do it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Plorkyeran posted:

and then your computer crashes constantly and you make people sigh when they ask if you installed any stupid garbage

if by "people" you mean "my dad" and "sighing" you mean "yelling at me at least once a month about it"

i never got to the level of figuring out anything that fancy during the years we were still using classic mac os at home though. i had to stick to half-assed graphics hacking with resedit, system extensions of questionable utility, and modifying the colors and sounds of the computer in new and garish ways

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
welp

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cool

quote:

16 September 2019 (Resignation)
To the MIT community,

I am resigning effective immediately from my position in CSAIL at MIT. I am doing this due to pressure on MIT and me over a series of misunderstandings and mischaracterizations.

Richard Stallman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

I’ve been waiting 20 years.

e: party time, fixed your av