Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I recorded myself doing clean and jerks for the first time. Hoo boy am I off balance. Back to the drawing board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

So uhh.. Didn't check the plates closely enough and my set of ohp@145 turned in to ohp@142.5.

On the bright side, I don't have massive imbalance on my left side as in initially thought...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hit a 93kg jerk and it felt good. Probably won't have the jerk more than I clean forever but it's nice for now.

Then I squatted 140kg. A solid 308lbs.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
a little late on the age+pain train but I'm 37 and I've been lucky to avoid being sore outside of a little tightness the day after heavy max lifts

Except on days when I'm trying to lift after drinking the night before, like now when I should be trying to squat

but I think I'm still a little drunk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

43 and continually improving. I feel fuckin great and look/flex/move better than I have my whole life.

This is how cancer is triggered I'm sure

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ElectricSheep posted:

a little late on the age+pain train but I'm 37 and I've been lucky to avoid being sore outside of a little tightness the day after heavy max lifts

Except on days when I'm trying to lift after drinking the night before, like now when I should be trying to squat

but I think I'm still a little drunk

I fixed a lot of tightness post-lifting with stretches - nothing crazy, just stretch/hold for about 15-20 sec on each muscle group I trained as soon as I got home from the gym. So example after leg day it's calves, quads, hams, low back, hip flexors, etc. & it's definitely helped with tightness & flexibility/range of motion.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm 36 and I'm just opting for direct surgeries to fix back pains because life is meaningless without deadlifts.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Jonesing to get back to the gym after my vasectomy (was on Monday) but I really wanna give it a good ten days before I attempt anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Data Graham posted:

43 and continually improving. I feel fuckin great and look/flex/move better than I have my whole life.

This is how cancer is triggered I'm sure

Strength training actually has a pretty strong anti-cancer effect. Keep lifting those weights.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Being strong owns (34, intact spine)

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I decided to do some heavy deadlifts and it was immediately hello sciatica my old friend. (36, muscles stronger than surrounding tissues)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Everything hurts and I want to die.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
My brother told me he noticed my gym efforts AND I now have a butt. Soreness is worth it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

My brother told me he noticed my gym efforts AND I now have a butt. Soreness is worth it!

Great stuff!

Church was empty today.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sweet As Sin posted:

About a month ago I flew back to upstate NY to see family, my 2nd older brother was there (3 years older than me, I'm 38 he's 41) & had this :stare: look on his face when he saw me followed up by "I see you're uh, still lifting weights..."

Last time he saw me was probably around 12 years ago, I was still fit but a lot smaller then - I'm 5'8" & 218 right now, if I trim a solid 10-15 pounds I'll be pretty cut/shredded. Back when he last saw me I was around 180-185 but didn't have the muscle mass from bulking & lifting like a loving madman. Nobody ever believes me that I never used roids primarily because of my size/strength but :shrug: then again, they're the ones that keep doing the same workouts/reps for literal years with almost no change in their diet or routines to get the results they want. Meh, if you wanna be swole, stop making excuses, don't be afraid of change & get your head straight instead of making dumbass assumptions.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
my girlfriend told me my traps are almost too big and will look gross if they get bigger

i told her she’s being a gains goblin

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ham_sanitizer posted:

my girlfriend told me my traps are almost too big and will look gross if they get bigger

:sever:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I've found a way to do hamstring curls on the stupid laying down one without hurting my knees. Hamstrings are truly the biceps of the legs, and I've missed that exercise.

ham_sanitizer posted:

Trick her into doing squat+bench+deadlifts.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 16, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Just like biceps hamstrings don't need direct work.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ham_sanitizer posted:

My female coworker's husband told her this and I got so irrationally angry.

She has an awesome back and I don't know why you (a man) gotta get all intimidated about that.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ham_sanitizer posted:

What?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

She has an awesome back and I don't know why you (a man) gotta get all intimidated about that.

I'd kick that guy's rear end!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ham_sanitizer posted:

counter with suggestions about how she can improve her own appearance

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Some people are boob men, some are rear end men. Me? I have literally had my head turned by a good upper back.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Just like biceps hamstrings don't need direct work.
Counterpoint: there's 0 cost to bi work and it makes your biceps bigger.

You can superset them with almost anything so they don't even cost time or induce fatigue.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 16, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hip extension only hits three of the four heads of the hamstrings. You need to do leg curls or some similar movement to train the short head of the biceps femoris.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I only train functional strength. Tell me where in nature I would need to curl my arm or my leg in isolation

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Squeezing a bear to death

Khorne
May 1, 2002

feelix posted:

I only train functional strength. Tell me where in nature I would need to curl my arm or my leg in isolation
when you're flexing

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If you lift for any reason other than aesthetics ur dumb as heck

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of "everything hurts, all the time, after 30" discussion...

Currently in my late 40's, have been lifting on and off all of my life. Got back into a regular routine a few years ago when I noticed that my metabolism was slowing down, and everything was going to poo poo.

What I learned at 44 was that my muscles are still strong... my problem is all that connective tissue. I'm always nursing a joint ache here, a ligament sprain there. Currently for the last week my left shoulder is twingy when I bench, but feels pretty good when I do shoulder extensions, or am swimming laps. So, I'll baby that shoulder for a while... just lift maintenance weight, not push super hard. But in the past I've babied left wrist tendinitis, right shoulder twinges, whatever, and they get better.

Just got to pay attention to those little aches, before they become damaged big aches.

But even with all the little aches having conversations with me, the increasing difficulty keeping the flab off, and the fact I'm way loving older than the average in my gym, I still outlift most of those whippersnappers. So keep going, don't overdo it, and you can be a crazy old man like me, someday.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

feelix posted:

is this a real post in 2019?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

feelix posted:

https://imgur.com/szqqZul

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

What the hell? You ok dude?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Some people are boob men, some are rear end men. Me? I have literally had my head turned by a good upper back.

Show me that v-taper baby, nnnrrgghhhh

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Real talk, sprinters are at high risk for hamstring tears because of the high degree of knee flexion involved in sprinting. The best way to prevent that is to do leg curls and movements that are like leg curls (the Nordic curl and the glute ham raise are the most popular). If you want to be able to sprint, better get your leg curls on.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Real talk, sprinters are at high risk for hamstring tears because of the high degree of knee flexion involved in sprinting. The best way to prevent that is to do leg curls and movements that are like leg curls (the Nordic curl and the glute ham raise are the most popular). If you want to be able to sprint, better get your leg curls on.
If it weren't for endurance and my crippled-at-birth heart I'd be a beastly sprinter probably. Not world class, but definitely "drat I didn't know a 500lb guy could run that fast" class.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Daannnggg, feelix got some :yosbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I read that you have to train to failure so I just walk in, grab the 120s, try to bench them and fail but I'm not seeing any gains pls help