Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Centrist Committee posted:

The Houthis just reduced global oil production 5% by attacking Saudi oil fields on foot with a few small drones but nope nothing can be done about century and a half old water contracts

I just don't think almond trees are as flammable as oil refineries :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I just don't think almond trees are as flammable as oil refineries :shrug:

Yeah, the almond trees are a wasteful thing.

Never mind the cattle feed though. What do you think goes back to China in those shipping containers?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/05/11/cows-not-almonds-are-biggest-water-users

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Jesus they need a progressive tax policy on water use

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goodpancakes posted:

Jesus they need a progressive tax policy on water use

Not only did they decide to grow gently caress tons of crops in the desert they decided to grow the hell out of the worst ones when it comes to water use.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Infinite Karma posted:

Couldn't we do something like requiring metering and add a use tax per ac-ft or something? Making it prohibitively expensive to waste water on alfalfa is just as good as taking the water rights away.

This is more or less on the way via the SGMA passed in 2014. It's mostly been in the setup stage until recently though.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1173575511005642754?s=20

Lmao

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Maybe if they had chosen an EXISTING route, obtaining rights of way wouldn't be such an issue.

Maybe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Or maybe if all the landed gentry in the Central Valley weren't giant assholes whose primary purpose was gumming up the works and then winning a settlement.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Take all their land and water away.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not only did they decide to grow gently caress tons of crops in the desert they decided to grow the hell out of the worst ones when it comes to water use.
I was out in Yuma this weekend for a friend’s bday. It’s surreal driving the 8 through the imperial valley in oppressive 100+ degree heat while watching endless fields of alfalfa pass by.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's what happens when water is free. The upstream users don't give a gently caress and grow alfalfa because why not? It's really easy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It rained up here in the valley! Hurrrrrray!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was woken early this morning by what I believed to be a gushing leak somewhere, but when I investigated, it turned out the splashing sound was coming from drops of water falling out of the sky, collecting on the roof, and running off onto the ground.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hooray for precipitation!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

withak posted:

I was woken early this morning by what I believed to be a gushing leak somewhere, but when I investigated, it turned out the splashing sound was coming from drops of water falling out of the sky, collecting on the roof, and running off onto the ground.

Witchcraft!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe if they had chosen an EXISTING route, obtaining rights of way wouldn't be such an issue.

Maybe.

If you're talking about the coast route, certainly not.

People would absolutely loose their minds about all of the widening, at-grade crossing removal, and overhead wire installation that would need to be done. Plus a lot of land would still need to be bought and bridges and tunnels built to straighten out the route enough to make HSR worthwhile.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You know, those useless online petitions people sign would make a great honeypot for finding anti-transit / NIMBYs needing a visit from the guillotine squad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Weembles posted:

People would absolutely loose their minds about all of the widening, at-grade crossing removal, and overhead wire installation that would need to be done. Plus a lot of land would still need to be bought and bridges and tunnels built to straighten out the route enough to make HSR worthwhile.

I believe the original Euro advisors said "run it right down interstate 5".

Harris Farms, Paramount Farms, the Tejon Ranch Company billionaires all said "NO loving WAY" "OBAMA CREATED DUST BOWL!"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

I believe the original Euro advisors said "run it right down interstate 5".

Harris Farms, Paramount Farms, the Tejon Ranch Company billionaires all said "NO loving WAY" "OBAMA CREATED DUST BOWL!"

The route down the 5 skipped every population center in the valley. Servicing those towns was a major feature of the system.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Weembles posted:

The route down the 5 skipped every population center in the valley. Servicing those towns was a major feature of the system.

Pork barreling at the expense of public infrastructure does seem to be the major feature of public works projects nowadays.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I believe the overall, initial goal was simply SF to LA and covering the largest 2 bases, not Chowchilla to Delano and hoping people move there.

The thing was designed to fail.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Weembles posted:

Reminder that Fresno is larger than the largest city in 19 states by metro population, and Bakersfield isn't that far behind them. It was still going to provide major service to multiple cities large cities along the way, even if they are rural as poo poo. They still deserve to have infrastructure.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 16, 2019

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Complications posted:

Pork barreling at the expense of public infrastructure does seem to be the major feature of public works projects nowadays.

Connecting cities to other cities is the whole point behind intercity rail. It's not the rail authority's fault that there are other cities in California other than LA and SF.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Amtrak already technically "Services" Stockton down to Bakersfield, though. The plan could have feeders to that existing system while still hauling rear end down 5.

Stockton's airport just added an L.A. daily flight, Sac has some service that flies to San Jose now for $300 each way or something.

Nothing rail will ever get built now, it's over.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah seems like it's dead or will be delayed by a long time at this point and will just be held up as a failure of big government.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

Amtrak already technically "Services" Stockton down to Bakersfield, though. The plan could have feeders to that existing system while still hauling rear end down 5.

Stockton's airport just added an L.A. daily flight, Sac has some service that flies to San Jose now for $300 each way or something.

Nothing rail will ever get built now, it's over.

The system got bled dry by consultants and NIMBYs in the bay and LA. I know we're all supposed to hate everywhere farther than 15 miles inland, but the fact that it ran through Visalia was the last of its problems.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’m holding on to a sliver of hope that the widespread rain in NorCal marks the end of the fire season and CA actually got a year of respite from the annual smoke and horror.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I need to stop reading about California land use politics or I'm going to self-radicalize into the world's only Georgist tankie.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Weembles posted:

If they could get the speeds up to 80-100mph, it still would be a real alternative to the hellscape which is flying today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kill Bristol posted:

I need to stop reading about California land use politics or I'm going to self-radicalize into the world's only Georgist tankie.

Yes...ha ha....the first one this thread has ever produced....

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I loving hate Steve Glazer he's such a lying rat piece of poo poo

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Am I the only person scared of being in the subway during an earthquake?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm more scared of being on a bridge.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

drilldo squirt posted:

Presumably there are ways to handle those safely, otherwise like half of Japan would be dead

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A properly-designed underground structure is one of the safest places to be during an earthquake.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Most deaths I earthquakes are from old buildings getting knocked around and loose chunks of bricks and concrete falling on tour head. Being in a subway tunnel is super safe.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I always get nervous on BART when it goes through the Bay due to the concern of earthquakes and being in a tunnel underwater.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It survived ‘89 pretty good.

Also apparently it was first proposed by Emperor Norton, which is fun :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HelloSailorSign posted:

I always get nervous on BART when it goes through the Bay due to the concern of earthquakes and being in a tunnel underwater.

Relax! The earth between you and the water is more than enough weight to crush and kill you, rendering the risk of drowning irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Relax! The earth between you and the water is more than enough weight to crush and kill you, rendering the risk of drowning irrelevant.

The transbay tube is not underground, it is a cement tube fastened to the bay floor.

Drowning is real.