Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I always see the Fidelio X2(HR) described as "fun". What kind of bass am I going to be dealing with?

90s era "bass boost" that only works house/rap/metal, or can I listen to these things with some acoustic music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been using $10 Panasonic ErgoFit IEMs for the better part of the last decade, and I'm debating whether to actually try something new with IEMs. The reason I've never invested is that I feel like IEMs are really fragile - certainly my Panasonic ones need to get replaced about once a year when one of the ear buds dies, probably due to a cable coming loose or something - and also, I honestly think these headphones sound better to me than a lot of more expensive ones. I think I'm just used to how bass-y they are, without being as overpowering as Beats or something. Plus, they comfy.

So, I'm curious: are there any wired IEMs that are more resilient with a similar but "better" sound, for anywhere under $150 or so? I know these Panasonics were really common for a while because they were a Wirecutter pick and stuff, so I'm hopeful there are other goons in this thread who use(d) them and know of the sound I'm talking about. Not looking for anything with noise canceling btw; I use these as walk/train commuting headphones and generally like to be able to hear what's going on around me. Microphone would also be nice but not required.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

I can not find a pair of "sweatproof" bluetooth earbuds that actually last more than a couple months. I've tried everything from Beats to the $20 Amazon specials. The issue I'm having is that after a period of regular use, my music starts skipping songs and changing volume at random. This only happens using bluetooth earbuds when I run. It's gradual at first and eventually they become unusable. Either I have superhuman, invasive sweat or waterproof/sweatproof ear buds are a myth. Has anyone else heard of/experienced this before? Google fu didn't turn up much.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

abraham linksys posted:

So, I'm curious: are there any wired IEMs that are more resilient with a similar but "better" sound, for anywhere under $150 or so? I know these Panasonics were really common for a while because they were a Wirecutter pick and stuff, so I'm hopeful there are other goons in this thread who use(d) them and know of the sound I'm talking about. Not looking for anything with noise canceling btw; I use these as walk/train commuting headphones and generally like to be able to hear what's going on around me. Microphone would also be nice but not required.

Tin T2. $50. Solid metal build, super light, comes with a wonderful and replaceable cable. Sounds like it costs $250. Go buy now.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Tin T2. $50. Solid metal build, super light, comes with a wonderful and replaceable cable. Sounds like it costs $250. Go buy now.

Yeah, it's a safe recommendation. You can get an mmcx replacement cable with a mic/remote for like 10 bucks if that aspect is a deal breaker.

E: it can be had for a lot cheaper too if you don't mind waiting like 3 weeks for shipping from China, I order a lot of stuff from this seller

trem_two fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 14, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Get a t2 on aliexpress for like $30 now before shipping rates triple

e: I ordered from the store "wooeasy" and it got to KY in like a week ^^^lol

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 14, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
^^ heh :moonrio:

I finally got delivery of some "Yaxi" replacement ear pads for the Porta Pros this morning. I've got a huge freaking melon head, so even though the Porta Pros were already pretty comfortable with the stock pads, these feel insanely plush and comfortable in comparison. It also places the drivers a little bit further away from your ears, which feels like it's opened up the stage a bit more too. Only possibly downside to note is that I need to give them more juice from the amp to play them at the same volume as the stock pads.

Also I got orange ones, which give them a neat "even-more-retro vibe" than the black stock look. Would recommend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mincedgarlic posted:

I can not find a pair of "sweatproof" bluetooth earbuds that actually last more than a couple months. I've tried everything from Beats to the $20 Amazon specials. The issue I'm having is that after a period of regular use, my music starts skipping songs and changing volume at random. This only happens using bluetooth earbuds when I run. It's gradual at first and eventually they become unusable. Either I have superhuman, invasive sweat or waterproof/sweatproof ear buds are a myth. Has anyone else heard of/experienced this before? Google fu didn't turn up much.

Have you tried not sweating acid?

Real talk I sweat ungodly amounts and I’ve worked out every day with my AirPods with 0 issue. I used my beats before that also with 0 issue.

Honestly I don’t know how it could keep happening to you because mine get soaked.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If sweat is killing your audio gear then use this as your buying guide https://www.audioreputation.com/ipx-ratings-explained/

I make no comment about the rest of the site, was simply looking for a decent IPX guide. Probably better out there but Google gave me this one.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Re: the Tin T2, should I go with the regular T2 or the T2 Pros? Having a hard time finding comparisons other than weird useless graphs like this

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

Re: the Tin T2, should I go with the regular T2 or the T2 Pros? Having a hard time finding comparisons other than weird useless graphs like this

The general consensus is that the treble on the T2 Pro has been boosted quite a bit, so while there's more upper register detail, it's also too bright, has thinner midrange, and can be sibilant. Here are a couple of reviews that talk about the comparison between them. I'll note that I've never heard the T2 Pro myself (nor the T3, which is supposedly good, there have been posts about it here).

Tin actually just announced the T4, not sure if there have been any details released about it yet though.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

MarcusSA posted:

Have you tried not sweating acid?

I've considered that I might have superhuman sweat. It's possible there's another cause, but it only happens when I run. Back to wires.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

abraham linksys posted:

Regular T2.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any experience on Audeze LCD-3? Spotted an used pair for 950 EUR (2500 EUR normally here) on a local hifi forum.

I am using Sennheiser 650 now which are really good but Audezes could be the next upgrade.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

moflika posted:

I always see the Fidelio X2(HR) described as "fun". What kind of bass am I going to be dealing with?

90s era "bass boost" that only works house/rap/metal, or can I listen to these things with some acoustic music?

I own a pair, and it's fine. They are indeed fun, and you can listen to acoustic music without issue. They are definitively NOT the bass boost kind of headphones, it's more a case of them having sufficient bass available for all your needs. I would recommend them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What's the consensus on the Drop/THX AAA 789? Should I buy the hype? Should I buy this amp? Is this truly the "endgame" 'runs anything' 'last ss amp you'll buy' that the praise makes it out to be?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's filled with Zeos cum, that much is sure. According to friends that have it, its good but not the end all be all best amp ever yet created. I can't really be more specific.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What's the consensus on the Drop/THX AAA 789? Should I buy the hype? Should I buy this amp? Is this truly the "endgame" 'runs anything' 'last ss amp you'll buy' that the praise makes it out to be?

It tests well, it sounds good, it's not crazy expensive and it has plenty of power and i/o. If you have headphones that would benefit from 6 watts balanced, go for it. If you don't need the gain or don't have balanced headphones, I don't know that you'd notice much over an Atom or something. Solid state amps aren't that exciting?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

It's filled with Zeos cum, that much is sure.

Indeed, you'd think it shipped from massdrop wrapped in lolicon.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It tests well, it sounds good, it's not crazy expensive and it has plenty of power and i/o. If you have headphones that would benefit from 6 watts balanced, go for it. If you don't need the gain or don't have balanced headphones, I don't know that you'd notice much over an Atom or something. Solid state amps aren't that exciting?

That's exactly my deal. There are a few (like 4) tube amps that I wanna get because they seem interesting, or have unique sound characters that make them desirable additions to a collection to me. But with SS all I want is like "what's the best bang-for-buck" "run practically-all headphones good" amplifier you got? It seems like this one can at least go toe-to-toe with stuff like the Jotunheim/etc.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Any suggestions for a decent <$30 3.5mm MMCX cable that doesn't have a giant connector? I have a nice 8 core braided thing now but the inch long connector sticking out of my phone makes me nervous that I'll put pressure on it and damage my headphone jack if my phone is in my pocket. I'd prefer a straight connector over a 90 degree.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This is probably a bit of an asinine question but what's a good pair of comfortable, not too heavy closed ear headphones without a mic that's $300-400 Canadian dollars. I get a reimbursement from my company so I may as well go fancy but it's also open office madness so I need a better solution than my Bluetooth Jabra earbuds.

Wireless would be a big bonus too.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Iron Rose posted:

This is probably a bit of an asinine question but what's a good pair of comfortable, not too heavy closed ear headphones without a mic that's $300-400 Canadian dollars. I get a reimbursement from my company so I may as well go fancy but it's also open office madness so I need a better solution than my Bluetooth Jabra earbuds.

Wireless would be a big bonus too.

Wireless, go with the Sony XM3. The ANC is great and they sound much better than the bose, which is to say: pretty decent.

Wired, you have a shitload of really cool options. Meze 99 classic series, T50 mods like the T60rp or the Dekoni Blue (though you'll need a strong amp), maybe a used pair of Sony Z7s if you get lucky. What do you like to listen to?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wireless, go with the Sony XM3. The ANC is great and they sound much better than the bose, which is to say: pretty decent.

Wired, you have a shitload of really cool options. Meze 99 classic series, T50 mods like the T60rp or the Dekoni Blue (though you'll need a strong amp), maybe a used pair of Sony Z7s if you get lucky. What do you like to listen to?

Thanks for your suggesions! I'll definitely check out the XM3 but it's a bit over my budget unfortunately.

It's less for music and more for the open office so I'd weigh noise cancelling features heavily.

For music, I like weird eclectic gothic poo poo, classical, rap and some metal/punk rock. I doubt I'd want anything that requires an amp though. I would want it mostly for my commute and office spotify, and I'm really not enough of an audiophile to even have an amp anywhere, so I guess wireless is a requirement now. But mostly I just don't know what to look for!

I've been looking at the Sennheiser PXC 550 which seemed really cool, and the NFC pairing would be fantastic for switching from my computer to my phone at the end of the day. Any opinions?

E: actually looks like you can get the xm3s for a song stateside - getting them sent over to me wouldn't be too much trouble. $225 USD is way nicer than $450 CAD

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 18, 2019

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been using these (or maybe 2nd generation) for a long time and I've enjoyed them. They just gave up the ghost so I need new IEMs. I'm looking to stay under $100. I saw several people recommend the Tin T2 above so should I just go with that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Travic posted:

I've been using these (or maybe 2nd generation) for a long time and I've enjoyed them. They just gave up the ghost so I need new IEMs. I'm looking to stay under $100. I saw several people recommend the Tin T2 above so should I just go with that?

Yes

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Iron Rose posted:

E: actually looks like you can get the xm3s for a song stateside - getting them sent over to me wouldn't be too much trouble. $225 USD is way nicer than $450 CAD

Excellent, they're very good. I thought the Bose 700 was gonna introduce some competition, but it's kind of a big ol' turd, so Sony is still on top of the ANC heap imo.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I own a pair, and it's fine. They are indeed fun, and you can listen to acoustic music without issue. They are definitively NOT the bass boost kind of headphones, it's more a case of them having sufficient bass available for all your needs. I would recommend them.

Finally got them, and for 140 euros, they're great. Stuff like this always makes me glad I didn't spend more on "better" options.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

abraham linksys posted:

I've been using $10 Panasonic ErgoFit IEMs for the better part of the last decade, and I'm debating whether to actually try something new with IEMs. The reason I've never invested is that I feel like IEMs are really fragile - certainly my Panasonic ones need to get replaced about once a year when one of the ear buds dies, probably due to a cable coming loose or something - and also, I honestly think these headphones sound better to me than a lot of more expensive ones. I think I'm just used to how bass-y they are, without being as overpowering as Beats or something. Plus, they comfy.

Was going to post exactly this question, right down to having used the panasonic ergofits forever. Just ordered a pair of those Tin T2s everyone is recommending, looking forward to trying them out!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GruntyThrst posted:

Was going to post exactly this question, right down to having used the panasonic ergofits forever. Just ordered a pair of those Tin T2s everyone is recommending, looking forward to trying them out!

Even if they didn't sound amazing, I'd probably recommend them at that price just for the build and the cable. I wish they sold the cable separately, it's really, really nice.

I still really like my KZ ZS5s which were my previous $40 IEM pick, and they do have more extension both treble and bass-wise, but the build and comfort is dogshit in comparison and the midrange isn't remotely close to as nice as the T2.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

moflika posted:

Bass is good; healthy, accurate, tight. Not overboosted. But not absolutely crystal clear perfect. They're very capable and I like them for all sorts of listening.

RE: Tin T3
Easily the best non-pro IEM's I've ever owned. They're so good. I'll even take them over the SE215.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Easily the best non-pro IEM's I've ever owned. They're so good. I'll even take them over the SE215.

Have you compared them with the T2? I like their signature a lot but I crave a little more treble detail every once in a while, was thinking about the T3.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats a reasonable over ear headphone right now? I need something for the office so I can watch netflix in downtime without bothering anybody. I can't do earbuds or IEM stuff because they hurt my ears something wicked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Whats a reasonable over ear headphone right now? I need something for the office so I can watch netflix in downtime without bothering anybody. I can't do earbuds or IEM stuff because they hurt my ears something wicked.

What’s your budget? Wired? Noise canceling?

https://www.status.co/products/cb1

These are my favorite for work and they sound great. IMO best bang for the buck in the price range.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you compared them with the T2? I like their signature a lot but I crave a little more treble detail every once in a while, was thinking about the T3.

I haven't. The T3's were my first foray into Tin Audio.
Speaking of which, I just tore one of my foam tips for the T3.
Recommend me a replacement.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What’s your budget? Wired? Noise canceling?

https://www.status.co/products/cb1

These are my favorite for work and they sound great. IMO best bang for the buck in the price range.

Those look good to me. Thanks.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I haven't. The T3's were my first foray into Tin Audio.
Speaking of which, I just tore one of my foam tips for the T3.
Recommend me a replacement.

I wish I knew where Tin sourced their foam tips because drat they're nice. They're a little too big for me, but they're soft as heck so I don't even mind the extra pressure that much.

Complys are very good but expensive as poo poo and not very durable. I get NewBee brand foams from Amazon which are exactly the same as all other cheap chinese foam tips, and are pretty good if they fit you. Their medium is a tad bit smaller than the Tin standard, which is perfect for me.

I also like SpinFit double flange, but they're like having alien dicks in your ears and you never completely get used to it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bass is good; healthy, accurate, tight. Not overboosted. But not absolutely crystal clear perfect. They're very capable and I like them for all sorts of listening.

This seems like the perfect point for me to jump into the thread. I've had my SE215s for years and I'm about to wear out another cable. I've been thinking about an upgrade since they sound pretty good but not great, what's the next logical step up? In like the $200 ballpark?

I like the isolation and the fit. I'm no audiophile, I just play off my phone mostly along with using them for my electronic drum set.

FBS fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 20, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FBS posted:

This seems like the perfect point for me to jump into the thread. I've had my SE215s for years and I'm about to wear out another cable. I've been thinking about an upgrade since they sound pretty good but not great, what's the next logical step up? In like the $200 ballpark?

I like the isolation and the fit. I'm no audiophile, I just play off my phone mostly along with using them for my electronic drum set.

well the T3's are not as isolating as most IEM that fit the way they do.
That's one of the things I like so much about them.
It's probably got a lot to do with the vent, I'm sure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FBS posted:

The Fiio FH1 is basically a cheaper SE215 that actually sounds good.

Anything more expensive than that is either getting into the pricier Shure buds which are not good value, or bigger housings and probably less isolation. Etymotics may be worth a look, but they're a weird fit that you either love or hate.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Budget - ~$100, but flexible
Source - iPad with 3.5mm jack, Pixel (USB C with a dongle adapter) or PC
Isolation Requirements - I'm used to earbuds so my standards are probably low
Preferred Type of Headphone - Probably wired IEM, but not 100% sure since I haven't owned many. In-line controls would be nice.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass-leaning?
Past Headphones - I had Pixel Buds that I got on a steep discount, but they died and Google won't replace them. I liked that they were wireless, but the sound was mediocre, they had bad audio latency, and the warranty was garbage. I also had some entry-level Sennheiser earbuds that I liked a lot, good audio quality, but they finally died after 15 years.
Preferred Music - Netflix, classical/orchestral, classic/hard rock (Led Zep, AC/DC, Hendrix), occasionally metal and hip-hop