Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I think it's just been quiet for lack of new content in awhile. Lots of cool and interesting tweaks in the patch. They basically gave us everything we wanted for horses, and more interestingly held shields now slow you down as if you're wearing 3/3/3 armor.

Boo at reducing javelins to no longer 2 shot lvl 3 chest, though. If you let yourself get hit twice in a row with a javelin you really deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They decided to split the patches up instead of waiting until the new maps were done. First of the new maps is expected with the next patch, in a matter of weeks instead of months. Supposedly they did something to make Crossroads less of a pain; stretched it out, added another capture point, and rebuilt the entire middle area. We'll see tho.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i cant wait to ragdoll kick a knave off the top of a ladder :black101:

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Feels like I'm somehow actually dealing with even more horses now. That horse respawn time reduced to 30 seconds is brutal...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh finally. Can't wait to try it, and I hope they keep the updates coming... game is good but it gets stale quick, we need those new maps / game modes / mod tools.

e:"Horse bump hitbox reduced significantly & fixed desync on horse turning"
"Horse rider momentum damage now works both ways, so that infantry can one shot horse riders when hit at high speeds" :getin:

I hope that works for thrown weapons too, I'd love to unhorse people by throwing javelins or axes at them, but even if it doesn't it seems it will finally be possible to stop even the best horselords if you put your mind to it

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 31, 2019

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

TorakFade posted:

I hope that works for thrown weapons too, I'd love to unhorse people by throwing javelins or axes at them, but even if it doesn't it seems it will finally be possible to stop even the best horselords if you put your mind to it

I so wanted to be able to kill charging horsemen by throwing frying pans at them but I tried last night and it doesn't seem to work. :(

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Crossroads is definitely more tolerable and splits the action between the tree fort and a new ruined tower which they've moved the cannon to to allow it more coverage of the fields. Blue now has options to leave spawn safer and engage in each section.

Horses are way more manageable now. Sure a frying pan cant one shot a rider bearing down on you. BUT a javelin to the chest sure is satisfying.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

30-minute autoban for 7 TKs in a match with melee or ranged weapons, get hosed windmill spammers :commissar:

e: Doesn't include siege weapons.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stringbean posted:

Crossroads is definitely more tolerable and splits the action between the tree fort and a new ruined tower which they've moved the cannon to to allow it more coverage of the fields. Blue now has options to leave spawn safer and engage in each section.

Horses are way more manageable now. Sure a frying pan cant one shot a rider bearing down on you. BUT a javelin to the chest sure is satisfying.

Both Crossroads and horses are still garbage, but somewhat less so. They're moving in the right direction.

The previous version of Crossroads was completely insane and somehow even worse than the original map. Without exaggerating, I don't think I saw the blue side win even once.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Horde mode seems so much fun with this most recent patch. Melee play is so much faster with the faster windup and change to stun.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

:siren: Patch 11 released

new "invasion" asymmetrical game mode! Only on 3 maps, 1 variant per map though. But now patches should be coming quicker :) one new map, Feitoria, almost ready too.

Anybody else still caring?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah I'm still kinda obsessed with this game and I hardly touch most multiplayer games anymore. The new game type isn't too bad but it clearly needs some balance passes. Also they desperately need to have separate queues for invasion and Frontline. I don't like them being in the same one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hell yeah Invasion looks cool. Mostly holding out for that map though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

:siren: Patch 11 released

new "invasion" asymmetrical game mode! Only on 3 maps, 1 variant per map though. But now patches should be coming quicker :) one new map, Feitoria, almost ready too.

Anybody else still caring?

I haven't been playing lately, but I'm still keeping an eye on the game and have it installed so that I can jump in in case the mood hits me. Some more content and it probably will.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

So what happens when people start modding in copyrighted IP and the game will auto-download the mods and let you play them on private servers?

Surely Disney will find a way to stop Mordhau from becoming the best jedi fight simulator ever, right?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Just played my first invasion on Grad

I was top scorer so i got to be the castle commander, and it was so much fun to just be a head and a half above everyone else and not take team damage. I had my entourage of soldiers that I got to run around with and I got to just Lord Sauron the red team by swinging above their heads and into the fray. It's amazing seeing people panic when you come at them as the commander. They killed my warden REALLY fast, but they didn't even get me down to 50% hp despite me constantly crashing headfirst into their assaults.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

I haven't been playing lately, but I'm still keeping an eye on the game and have it installed so that I can jump in in case the mood hits me. Some more content and it probably will.

Same, basically, just jumped in today to try this invasion thing which, by the way, is seriously cool - had to attack the mines as red in Taiga and it felt a proper challenge what with all the engineers and firebombers filling the tunnels with spikes and fire - but the maps are staaaale by now, I think I'll play seriously again when the new maps are ready.

I also tried Ranked but it wouldn't connect me to anybody sadly :( so I still don't know where I place amongst the game ranks (100% bottom tier, still a bad scrub :v: )

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm still waiting for them to put in women and non-white guys

Any day now

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

megane posted:

I'm still waiting for them to put in women and non-white guys

Any day now

Yeah I'm really looking forward to that. Plan on changing my steam name to Roza Shanina with a profile pic to match.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Holy poo poo this game is everything it was meant to be now. Invasion mode kicks rear end and I've been skewering horse lords left and right with my halberd.

EDIT: A cool thing about Grad is that the underground dungeons beneath castle see a lot of use now if the commander/warden goes to hide there.

timn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 12, 2019

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Playing as the one of the final objectives on Grad Invasion feels so good

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Do you get to choose your weapon if you’re the main guy? If I can’t smash dude’s heads in with a hammer as a giant man I’ll be very sad.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

Do you get to choose your weapon if you’re the main guy? If I can’t smash dude’s heads in with a hammer as a giant man I’ll be very sad.

You get a ridiculous maul that can combo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It should continuously spam an evil gravelly laugh as you crush the melons of your foes.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've changed my name to Hanzo and play longbow exclusively.

Theres so much rage in chat, its palpable.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love being a horse lord, it's so much damned fun. The tears in chat only make me stronger.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Stringbean posted:

I've changed my name to Hanzo and play longbow exclusively.

Theres so much rage in chat, its palpable.

This is such a good idea, unashamedly stealing this gimmick later

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

this game continues to be one of the funniest games ive ever played.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i know they're epic lulz XD but the game would be 300% better without horses

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Horses are fun to fight now, just stab them before they stab you.

Dipping into the the ranked duels mode has been an interesting experience. Players out there have a wide variety of skill sets, play styles, and gimmicks. Sometimes I'll just crush higher ranked people or get completely tripped the gently caress up by lower ranked people. Learning how to be really flexible and adaptive seems to be key to getting consistent performance.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The scythe is the best weapon in the game and you can't convince me otherwise. Insanely long reach and it's perfect for one-shotting all the hard lads who run around with no armour on. You can also couch it.

Horses feel a lot better to fight against in the latest patch, the hitboxes feel way less janky.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

The scythe is great for Horde mode. It cuts heads like wheat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

timn posted:

Horses are fun to fight now, just stab them before they stab you.

Fighting or avoiding horses has never been a problem, the reason they suck is that when you're in a tense fight they often come out of nowhere to one-shot you from the back. Even if you hear them coming you're not going to be able to react properly because you're already in a fight. I salivate at the thought of a no-horse, no-archer server.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Horses are only dangerous if your team doesn't pay attention, because if even like five people have their headphones on and take a swing at them the horseman makes one pass at best before being dehorsed

unfortunately since no teams pay attention, horses are always at least a little dangerous

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
As an extreme horse hater, I think theyre OK in non-crossroads maps now

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I enjoy the new maps and the Invasion mode is neat and refreshes the maps. New Crossroads is interesting while still letting me horse lord around with my long bow so I can't complain.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Pattonesque posted:

Horses are only dangerous if your team doesn't pay attention, because if even like five people have their headphones on and take a swing at them the horseman makes one pass at best before being dehorsed

unfortunately since no teams pay attention, horses are always at least a little dangerous

If anything, I think horses are little TOO easy to kill now. They're basically only good at ganking stragglers now because if your target has anyone next to him they can just scrape your knee with a dagger as you pass by and you're done.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Stretch Marx posted:

I enjoy the new maps and the Invasion mode is neat and refreshes the maps. New Crossroads is interesting while still letting me horse lord around with my long bow so I can't complain.

same here. im still really enjoying this game and looking forward to more invasion maps

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jabarto posted:

If anything, I think horses are little TOO easy to kill now. They're basically only good at ganking stragglers now because if your target has anyone next to him they can just scrape your knee with a dagger as you pass by and you're done.

Horselords delenda est :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Keep in mind that horses can capture points now, too. Horses are more of a specialty playstyle than a power up, which is the right place for them in this game. A horse lord's real utility is to act as highly mobile distraction and harassment. Think of it as a support role rather than direct offense.

I think this niche would be more fully realized if we got some more open-ended maps with non-linear objectives/capture points. The ability to quickly shift between attack and defense at different locations of the map would give them a really useful tactical role.