Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's a lot of weird projection. One valid criticism is that none of the times that Bendis has done this story has the cover been this:

Which is at least more eye-catching.

Oh gently caress, I've been trying to remember where this story is from for years! Just pulled it up - the sequence where the immortal repeatedly dies, gets reborn, and suffocates for weeks in the spaceship has been stuck in my head since childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Didn't Bendis create Riri Williams because he and his wife had adopted a child, and they wanted the child to be able to see herself, and those like her, represented in comics?

Same reason for Miles as well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The whole point of the OC do not steal remark is that, in the original meme -- you know, an internet meme? like on the internet? -- someone ironically made the most generic, slapdash Sonic character and then slapped that warning label on him like anyone in their right minds would ever want to see the character again much less use it for themselves. All I meant is that there's a character the creator thinks is really cool but is actually poo poo instead. That's all. The goalposts didn't shift. Y'all just built like three new ones on the field and then started kicking balls into those instead.

Maybe Brubaker or other writers have their own variations on a theme that they keep revisiting. But...as far as I know, Brubaker didn't write The Winter Soldier storyline four different times though with some names and adjectives changed and call it a day. As far as I remember, he doesn't bring back to life the same mop-headed, stubbly white guy with the exact same personality and exact same dialogue and then have everyone react to him in the exact same helpless way they did when he wrote them doing so the first four times.

I mean hey I know that not everyone here thinks Bendis is one of the worst writers around like I do and that's fine, nobody's perfect, but going to bat for Ulysses this hard? Forreal? Do any of you actually like the character?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The meme sucks, op.

I even prefaced this by saying I'm not defending Ulysses or Civil War 2, I'm just saying calling a character made by a comic creator "an OC" is a worthless criticism, because it's a worthless criticism. It means nothing. You keep trying to make it mean things, but it's not working.

e: It's like reading a bad comic and going "Ugh this is just fan fic with an editor" which

yeah!!

that's what every comic featuring pre-existing corporate owned characters is!!!

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 16, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Ed Brubaker has written comics where the Winter Soldier "came back" from the dead, also a comic where Steve Rogers "came back" from the dead, also the Red Skull and that was the same comic. He also definitely brought Holly back from the dead in Catwoman, brought Mister Fear back from the dead in Daredevil, etc. etc. I may be forgetting some, and you might say "oh but everyone brings characters back from the dead, also you're cherry picking a half dozen stories out of decades of comics just to make a point" and to that I say gently caress you, my point stands and Ed Brubaker's awful leaning on bildungsroman women in refrigerators macguffins are bad, are you saying that things aren't bad? Unbelievable!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Bendis makes a lot of OCs and half of them are good. But all of his events are dogshit, which is the more important fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

He has two children through adoption that are black, one African American the other born in Ethiopia. For some reason I thought his wife was black, but the one picture on his wikipedia page of his biological daughter makes her look caucasian and doing more research than checking wikipedia about a semi-famous person's non-famous children feels creepy.

Bendis's wife is in his indie book Fortune and Glory. She's a blonde white woman.

You might be thinking of Jeremy Whitley.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I even prefaced this by saying I'm not defending Ulysses or Civil War 2, I'm just saying calling a character made by a comic creator "an OC" is a worthless criticism, because it's a worthless criticism. It means nothing. You keep trying to make it mean things, but it's not working.
You keep trying to make it not mean something, but that's not working.

See? Words can word just because meanings can have. Dill with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I haven't even read Civil War 2 and I'm going to stan for Ulysses for life just based on how wrong you are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

Bendis makes a lot of OCs and half of them are good. But all of his events are dogshit, which is the more important fact.

I'm enjoying Event Leviathan a lot, but it's also not over and I will acknowledge that it could easily go off the rails.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Your argument is wrong, but more importantly it is stupid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like this literally started as a whole page of people bitching about Civil War, but whoops I post one (1) meme reference and suddenly we white-knight Bendis into the loving grave.

Witness my complete bewilderment at the prospect of people having bad opinions here. Give me like four seconds to deal with this guys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The whole point of the OC do not steal remark is that, in the original meme -- you know, an internet meme? like on the internet? -- someone ironically made the most generic, slapdash Sonic character and then slapped that warning label on him like anyone in their right minds would ever want to see the character again much less use it for themselves. All I meant is that there's a character the creator thinks is really cool but is actually poo poo instead. That's all. The goalposts didn't shift. Y'all just built like three new ones on the field and then started kicking balls into those instead.

Maybe Brubaker or other writers have their own variations on a theme that they keep revisiting. But...as far as I know, Brubaker didn't write The Winter Soldier storyline four different times though with some names and adjectives changed and call it a day. As far as I remember, he doesn't bring back to life the same mop-headed, stubbly white guy with the exact same personality and exact same dialogue and then have everyone react to him in the exact same helpless way they did when he wrote them doing so the first four times.

I mean hey I know that not everyone here thinks Bendis is one of the worst writers around like I do and that's fine, nobody's perfect, but going to bat for Ulysses this hard? Forreal? Do any of you actually like the character?

the meme very specifically is about fan characters and unless something has changed i don't think anything Brian Michael Bendis has created in like 20 years has counted as a "fan character"

and even then, the meme would apply way more to characters like Miles Morales or Riri Williams than loving Ulysses.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Like this literally started as a whole page of people bitching about Civil War, but whoops I post one (1) meme reference and suddenly we white-knight Bendis into the loving grave.

Witness my complete bewilderment at the prospect of people having bad opinions here. Give me like four seconds to deal with this guys.

lol this guy's mad their internet meme reference wasn't met with thunderous applause

Endless Mike posted:

I'm enjoying Event Leviathan a lot, but it's also not over and I will acknowledge that it could easily go off the rails.

It's definitely a step up from the events he was doing at Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is now the post your favorite Ulysses meme thread.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah good luck with that endeavor lol

Alaois posted:

the meme very specifically is about fan characters and unless something has changed i don't think anything Brian Michael Bendis has created in like 20 years has counted as a "fan character"

and even then, the meme would apply way more to characters like Miles Morales or Riri Williams than loving Ulysses.
Yes but...I'm not complaining about them so why would I roast them like that? :shrug:

Like if we're being so rear end-stretchingly-nitpicky that we're going to quibble over the technicalities of what "original character" is supposed to be mean then, no, Miles and Riri and Ulysses are all "original characters," but that's obviously not what I was talking about, and you all obviously knew that's not what I was talking about and in fact knew precisely why and how I used the term, but we have to have this extraordinarily fun derail because evidently we have to have a semantic deathmatch over the precise King James Canon Arbitration of "OC Do Not Steal" on this here dead. Gay. Forums.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Look guys let's just chill out and have a nice calm discussion about comics and how creators are breaking their spines sucking dicks and stretching out their assholes to cram characters up their asses whatever happened to civility and erudite conversations? You gaylords!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes! Literally That. Just without the irony.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

I think maybe you should step back and take a breath, BrianWilly, and consider just how much bullshit on the internet has been 'defended' with "but it was just a meme"

Like, even if your argument was completely on-point and unassailable you have chosen the precise stupidest response to criticism of it, you should try not to do that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Did you just compare me bitching about Bendis to...what, Pepe the Frog?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I compared you overreacting to stupid poo poo to other people overreacting to stupid poo poo, I am sorry if the parallel was not clear.

Like, I'm glad we're all very, very clear on your distaste for the body of Brian Michael Bendis' work but you've moved past "bitching about Bendis" into "kinda fuckin' wierd, dude" (truth to tell you moved there when you decided to write fanfic about the terrible awful things he's bound to write over at DC) so, you know, maybe step back, take a breath, that's my advice, take it for what it's worth

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I respectfully decline though, because bitching about things is fun, even though I forget this forum has this weird kneejerky tendency to get tilted about criticism against some of the select poor defenseless comic book writers around, despite the fact that y'all were literally doing the same thing before I came along last night :buddy:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
uh, we've all poo poo on Bendis before, so it's not that

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Look guys let's just chill out and have a nice calm discussion about comics and how creators are breaking their spines sucking dicks and stretching out their assholes to cram characters up their asses

But enough about John Byrne, right? he's... he's the one everyone hates right? I can never keep track

ANYWAY, is Black Panther finally done with loving space?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Thanks for the advice! I respectfully decline though, because bitching about things is fun, even though I forget this forum has this weird kneejerky tendency to get tilted about criticism against some of the select poor defenseless comic book writers around, despite the fact that y'all were literally doing the same thing before I came along last night :buddy:

you're right, it's all a big conspiracy against you, because of how absolutely everyone else in this forum just loves brian michael bendis. it's not because you're being a loving weird tool about this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

But enough about John Byrne, right? he's... he's the one everyone hates right? I can never keep track

It's mostly just me I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah good luck with that endeavor lol
Yes but...I'm not complaining about them so why would I roast them like that? :shrug:

Like if we're being so rear end-stretchingly-nitpicky that we're going to quibble over the technicalities of what "original character" is supposed to be mean then, no, Miles and Riri and Ulysses are all "original characters," but that's obviously not what I was talking about, and you all obviously knew that's not what I was talking about and in fact knew precisely why and how I used the term, but we have to have this extraordinarily fun derail because evidently we have to have a semantic deathmatch over the precise King James Canon Arbitration of "OC Do Not Steal" on this here dead. Gay. Forums.

I seriously have no clue what the gently caress you are talking about at this point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

you're right, it's all a big conspiracy against you, because of how absolutely everyone else in this forum just loves brian michael bendis. it's not because you're being a loving weird tool about this.
If you don't actually disagree with me. If you don't actually like this character or like the story that he appears in. Why the gently caress the dogpile then? Who the gently caress cares how hard I bash a writer or how many swear words I loving spout when loving doing so or how many dicks I talk about anyone suckin to make that point? Yes, of course I'm loving annoyed, because if the target of my rants isn't the problem? Then as far as I can tell the only reason people are offended at me is because I cited a meme incorrectly. Or...in a way they didn't like? Too smugly? Too assholishly? What's the takeaway, here?

This has become a lovely little pattern with the posters here. It's always the same people who get extra tilted when I unreservedly insult certain writers like Bendis or Tom King or James Robinson, and then slide back into passive aggressive behavior when I explain exactly why I have problems with them. It's always the same people who seem, for whatever reason that I don't understand, to take it very personally when I'm not sugary nice about the stories I hate, and are in fact very transparent about the fact that they take it personally, even though they think they're being quite shrewd about it, as if this were any of our first rodeos here. Yeah, I don't understand it for sure, all I see is the patterns. Maybe there is a certain way I post that sets people's nerves on edge 'cuz I'm not going to censor my thoughts about really loving lovely writers, but if that's the case then that's those peoples' problems and not mine, because I didn't insult anyone here. I didn't start any fights with anyone. If this isn't the place to be the ornery rear end in a top hat about comics that I am and to make the long bitchy posts about comics I hate that I want to make, then put that in the loving rules and I'll find somewhere else to do so.

Skwirl posted:

I seriously have no clue what the gently caress you are talking about at this point.
Do you seriously not? Here. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you honestly don't understand me right now, instead of that you're being purposely obtuse so as to not have to engage with what I'm saying, and I'll try to explain what I said there in that post in a more upfront way:

There's a lot of ways to interpret the term "original character," or even "fan character" as Alaois puts it, and if we're taking it completely at face value then that means Miles and Riri and Ulysses are in fact all original/fan characters, yes. But that's obviously not what I was originally saying. Obviously I wasn't hammering Bendis for the sole fact hat he, a fan, created a character that was original. That is a straw man built over my original point...and you all knew that. Even if I hadn't literally explained what I meant in a subsequent post, it was understandable from context that I was actually hammering Bendis for creating a character that he thinks is so great -- because he continues to create this same character archetype over and over and over again -- when in fact the character just sucks. You all understood this...again, if not at first, then you had to have known when I outright told you what I meant.

But instead of engaging with what I plainly meant -- or even just ignoring it if you don't like it and have nothing to say about it -- we apparently instead have to bicker back and forth about whether I referenced the precise right meme to illustrate my criticism, right down to literally waffling over the exact technical definitions of words like "original" or "fan." Which is ridiculous on top of patronizing; we've already established what I meant, I'm sorry the online slang I chose didn't communicate my point to you the exact way you wanted it to but I couldn't actually care less about belaboring that point. Blockhouse goes as far as to claim that by referencing that term I was making a "worthless criticism" that doesn't mean anything, right after I explained what I meant when I said it. Of course I have no response to that but bitchy ones, which are the only ones it deserves.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There’s no bickering back and forth. There’s you making a bunch of dumb posts and everyone else calling you out on your dumb posts. So how about give it a rest and stop making dumb posts.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I think people just meant your reasons for disliking the thing were a bit flimsy. I don't think anyone was upset at your saying bad words or that they intended to attack you personally.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

X-O posted:

There’s no bickering back and forth. There’s you making a bunch of dumb posts and everyone else calling you out on your dumb posts. So how about give it a rest and stop making dumb posts.

Is this the synopsis for Civil War III

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BrianWilly posted:

Who the gently caress cares how hard I bash a writer or how many swear words I loving spout when loving doing so or how many dicks I talk about anyone suckin to make that point?

Me because slamming somebody by talking about how many dicks they suck is homophobic dogshit?

Anyway, the more I've grown and the more I've spoken to younger people involved in whatever branch of nerd culture, and have gotten to know people my age who were just involved in different corners of it, the more I respect fan-fiction and the people who make it, and wish I hadn't jumped so eagerly on the easy "lmao fan-fiction sucks" train back when that seemed like the only train in town.

It seems like a really crucial outlet for fans who wanted and continue to want representation that isn't there in the media they consume-- more and better female characters, queer characters, PoC, etc..-- and decide to patch together these ad hoc communities to make that representation happen. It seems like a really cool thing to do, a lot cooler than the way I engaged with comics as a teen, which was mostly just getting into shouting matches on the CBR forums, and I meet a lot of people for whom it was a really meaningful stage in their development as writers.

Also as I got more into zine-making and micropresses in college and grad school I realized how flimsy the distinction between "fan" and "not fan" felt-- especially in superhero comics where presumably most writers are fans to some degree-- and that I really much more admire people who want to make something so they just go ahead and make it.

I always have one or two students who say at the beginning of the semester that they don't have any writing experience, but turn in exquisitely written and way sophisticated first pieces. It turns out that in many cases these students cut their teeth on fan-fiction, but are so conditioned into thinking that that isn't "real writing" that they don't even count it.

So that's why I'm being a little pedantic about your argument using fan-fiction terms in a nonsense way. It's not an argument, it's just saying "<x> is like <y> because they both suck."

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Billzasilver posted:

Is this the synopsis for Civil War III

Yeah that's it. Weirdly it starts when Moon Knight ally Frenchie leaves a negative Yelp review on Dakota North's PI business. You won't believe how D-man factors in to the plot!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

If you don't actually disagree with me. If you don't actually like this character or like the story that he appears in. Why the gently caress the dogpile then? Who the gently caress cares how hard I bash a writer or how many swear words I loving spout when loving doing so or how many dicks I talk about anyone suckin to make that point? Yes, of course I'm loving annoyed, because if the target of my rants isn't the problem? Then as far as I can tell the only reason people are offended at me is because I cited a meme incorrectly. Or...in a way they didn't like? Too smugly? Too assholishly? What's the takeaway, here?
Believe it or not both the substance, tone, and delivery of arguments kind of matters to people?

I don't like Scott Snyder's Batman very much at all. I have been vocal about why I dislike it. If someone were to go, "Yeah! The worst part is that loving black Robin, Duke Thomas. Such a loving sambo stereotype!" it would give me pause even though I don't like Scott Snyder's Batman. Because it's got nothing to do with why I don't care for Snyder's Batman, it's a confusing (and inaccurate) deployment of the sambo stereotype out of nowhere, and it brings in a weird charged element out of nowhere, like using dick sucking and rear end cramming as hip insults in 2019.

quote:

This has become a lovely little pattern with the posters here. It's always the same people who get extra tilted when I unreservedly insult certain writers like Bendis or Tom King or James Robinson, and then slide back into passive aggressive behavior when I explain exactly why I have problems with them. It's always the same people who seem, for whatever reason that I don't understand, to take it very personally when I'm not sugary nice about the stories I hate, and are in fact very transparent about the fact that they take it personally, even though they think they're being quite shrewd about it, as if this were any of our first rodeos here.
I won't be subtle or passive aggressive, you make incoherent 'edgy' rants that contain a ridiculous amount of projection about creators you don't like and if anyone questions any portion of your fantasy rants about how these dumb shithead probably secretly gay and dumb bully writers are actively trying to ruin comic books, you come in even hotter at the beta cuck white knights who must love them if they do not agree with everything you spew.

But you are not incorrect that it doesn't say in the rules you can't just come in hot like it's a 1998 AOL chatroom full of fourteen year olds who just saw South Park for the first time. It's also not against the rules for everyone else to find that annoying, dumb, or even offensive.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This is all so very, very stupid

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

IIRC, Civil War II started right around the time we got the announcement about Brie Larson getting the role of Captain Marvel in SDCC. While it made sense to have Carol be one of the main stars of the event so people who don't know much about her would buy Civil War II, I thought it was incredibly stupid to make Carol the leader of the fascist faction.

That, and I really hated how Civil War II ruined the relationship between Kamala and Carol.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

amigolupus posted:

That, and I really hated how Civil War II ruined the relationship between Kamala and Carol.

I thought Ms. Marvel's tie-ins were among the best if only because Wilson actually used it as an opportunity to tell a story about her characters, but yeah, it put the kibosh on a really fun dynamic for very little payoff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

This has become a lovely little pattern with the posters here. It's always the same people who get extra tilted when I unreservedly insult certain writers like Bendis or Tom King or James Robinson, and then slide back into passive aggressive behavior when I explain exactly why I have problems with them. It's always the same people who seem, for whatever reason that I don't understand, to take it very personally when I'm not sugary nice about the stories I hate, and are in fact very transparent about the fact that they take it personally, even though they think they're being quite shrewd about it, as if this were any of our first rodeos here. Yeah, I don't understand it for sure, all I see is the patterns. Maybe there is a certain way I post that sets people's nerves on edge 'cuz I'm not going to censor my thoughts about really loving lovely writers, but if that's the case then that's those peoples' problems and not mine, because I didn't insult anyone here. I didn't start any fights with anyone. If this isn't the place to be the ornery rear end in a top hat about comics that I am and to make the long bitchy posts about comics I hate that I want to make, then put that in the loving rules and I'll find somewhere else to do so.
Do you seriously not? Here. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you honestly don't understand me right now, instead of that you're being purposely obtuse so as to not have to engage with what I'm saying, and I'll try to explain what I said there in that post in a more upfront way:

There's a lot of ways to interpret the term "original character," or even "fan character" as Alaois puts it, and if we're taking it completely at face value then that means Miles and Riri and Ulysses are in fact all original/fan characters, yes. But that's obviously not what I was originally saying. Obviously I wasn't hammering Bendis for the sole fact hat he, a fan, created a character that was original. That is a straw man built over my original point...and you all knew that. Even if I hadn't literally explained what I meant in a subsequent post, it was understandable from context that I was actually hammering Bendis for creating a character that he thinks is so great -- because he continues to create this same character archetype over and over and over again -- when in fact the character just sucks. You all understood this...again, if not at first, then you had to have known when I outright told you what I meant.

But instead of engaging with what I plainly meant -- or even just ignoring it if you don't like it and have nothing to say about it -- we apparently instead have to bicker back and forth about whether I referenced the precise right meme to illustrate my criticism, right down to literally waffling over the exact technical definitions of words like "original" or "fan." Which is ridiculous on top of patronizing; we've already established what I meant, I'm sorry the online slang I chose didn't communicate my point to you the exact way you wanted it to but I couldn't actually care less about belaboring that point. Blockhouse goes as far as to claim that by referencing that term I was making a "worthless criticism" that doesn't mean anything, right after I explained what I meant when I said it. Of course I have no response to that but bitchy ones, which are the only ones it deserves.

Your frequent rants about creators you don't like are really creepy, and remind me of when I was reading /co/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Brian's the person who wrote so many angry paragraphs in defense of zack snyder and mos he literally got both topics banned from the movie thread right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

I won't be subtle or passive aggressive, you make incoherent 'edgy' rants that contain a ridiculous amount of projection about creators you don't like and if anyone questions any portion of your fantasy rants about how these dumb shithead probably secretly gay and dumb bully writers are actively trying to ruin comic books, you come in even hotter at the beta cuck white knights who must love them if they do not agree with everything you spew.

But you are not incorrect that it doesn't say in the rules you can't just come in hot like it's a 1998 AOL chatroom full of fourteen year olds who just saw South Park for the first time. It's also not against the rules for everyone else to find that annoying, dumb, or even offensive.

:yeah: