Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 30, 2008
Watched the Bill Burr special and it's actually pretty good, but the first ~10-15 minutes are just him doing anti-SJW poo poo and it's so lazy and poorly executed that it almost seems like he's just doing it because he feels obliged to. Like one of the jokes is basically "imagine if I shouted "go back to the kitchen" at a feminist rally and they got triggered", with no follow up or punchline - he just conjures that scenario, does nothing with it, then moves on. But yeah, after that whole segment, the next 45 minutes of the show is some of his best material in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Burr is probably the only "ANTI-SJW TAKES ON CANCEL CULTURE" dude who's actually funny so the image of him doing his 10 of 'and, uh, yea, feminists huh? What if I broke their...SAFE SPACE?...Okay moving on' before going to actual good jokes is pretty on brand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also jesus christ he's still working with Dave Becky? He's the executive producer for Paper Tiger. The gently caress, Bill?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

sexpig by night posted:

also jesus christ he's still working with Dave Becky? He's the executive producer for Paper Tiger. The gently caress, Bill?

So many people work with Dave Becky still.

https://twitter.com/jackallisonlol/status/1171584452683714562?s=21

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ugh, lotta really enraging/disappointing names on that jaunty montage. I mean, any name there is bad because how the gently caress do you keep working with that dude but poo poo like Poehler is just pathetic.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jameela Jamil being on there was pretty surprising to me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that too. Like I know a lot of it is performative because they're rich and insulated enough to never think much about the actual issue they're talking about but how do people like her go right from 'we need to support other women, metoo is such a brave movement' to 'now let me go work with the guy who bullied women out of the industry for not liking being sexually assaulted' and not go 'wait am I the scumbag here?'

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

ugh, lotta really enraging/disappointing names on that jaunty montage. I mean, any name there is bad because how the gently caress do you keep working with that dude but poo poo like Poehler is just pathetic.

Speaking of Dave Becky, this little paragraph is in the new Esquire John Mulaney Cover Feature

Esquire posted:

In November 2017, The New York Times reported that several female comedians had accused Louis C. K. of inappropriate sexual behavior. At the time, Mulaney and C. K. shared a manager, Dave Becky, who, it was alleged, used his industry power over the years to suppress several of those accusers’ stories. Mulaney quietly fired him, having concluded that Becky was dishonest with him about his role in the scandal. Mulaney doesn’t want to discuss it further on the record. Speaking to Vulture about C. K. and Becky this past March, he said, “Women’s opinions matter, and mine does not.”

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Dacap posted:

Jameela Jamil being on there was pretty surprising to me

I just took a second and looked this up and she switched to someone else awhile ago. I was surprised too.

He still produces a lot of Poehler related things like Russian Doll which is a bummer.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 12, 2019

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

blunt posted:

Speaking of Dave Becky, this little paragraph is in the new Esquire John Mulaney Cover Feature

This... seems entirely within my expectations of John Mulaney. Good guy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's a part of me that wishes Mulaney wouldn't have 'quietly' done it but I'm not at all shocked to hear as soon as that poo poo came out he backed away from that guy and I do get why he doesn't want the story that'd almost certainly be morphed into 'BRAVE MAN MAKES EASY MORAL CHOICE'.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I just took a second and looked this up and she switched to someone else awhile ago. I was surprised too.

He still produces a lot of Poehler related things like Russian Doll which is a bummer.

She switched to another manager. In the company that Dave Becky owns.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Jippa posted:

Bill Burr is conservative and still funny. I tried his non stand up material like his podcast and was immediately turned off because it's just his conservative viewpoint with out the comedy. He still makes me laugh though. He almost apologises for it talking about growing up being a working class guy from boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6QJ9V-JujY

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That quote Mulaney gave is brilliantly succinct.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i couldn't get through the bill burr poo poo. the screaming about Triggered Libs was funny a few years ago but it's tired now. i liked Chappelle's new special, I've never been offended by comedy, that's not what this was--it was just incredibly lovely aside from being tone deaf. it's funny how these guys are incessantly talking about outrage culture and people go out of their way to be offended these days. do they not realize they are talking about themselves?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I forget what all comedians specials are called but the one I was watching must have been from a few years ago now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some guy I never heard of before by the name of Yannis Pappas (I saw Burr and Segura plug this on Twitter) released a full special for free on Youtube and it's actually really good. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R156F0uXhzk

Gay Horney posted:

i couldn't get through the bill burr poo poo. the screaming about Triggered Libs was funny a few years ago but it's tired now. i liked Chappelle's new special, I've never been offended by comedy, that's not what this was--it was just incredibly lovely aside from being tone deaf. it's funny how these guys are incessantly talking about outrage culture and people go out of their way to be offended these days. do they not realize they are talking about themselves?

He starts off with triggered libs but then moves on his family and anger issues and poo poo and it's more funny. Just fast-forward, maybe.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 16, 2019

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Megazver posted:

Some guy I never heard of before by the name of Yannis Pappas (I saw Burr and Segura plug this on Twitter) released a full special for free on Youtube and it's actually really good. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R156F0uXhzk

He starts off with triggered libs but then moves on his family and anger issues and poo poo and it's more funny. Just fast-forward, maybe.

I guess, it’s just stupid a guy getting paid eight figures gets to coast on unfunny bullshit when there’s about a thousand better comedians getting paid starvation wages

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I guess, it’s just stupid a guy getting paid eight figures gets to coast on unfunny bullshit when there’s about a thousand better comedians getting paid starvation wages

Name twenty comedians better than Burr.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

You may think it's unfunny bullshit but most people disagree. He tells those jokes because the audience laughs at them, and I'm sure he'd stop with those jokes if people stop laughing at them. I personally don't have a problem with that part of his act but I understand why people don't appreciate it. It's not exactly the most creative way to get laughs.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Odddzy posted:

Name twenty comedians better than Burr.

And what would be the point of that? I could do it without breaking a sweat, but why bother? You'd just say "nah, they're not better".

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

FitFortDanga posted:

And what would be the point of that? I could do it without breaking a sweat, but why bother? You'd just say "nah, they're not better".

If there are a thousand new comics better than Burr I'd like to have just twenty of them to listen to. Can you give me a link to their podcast? It shouldn't be hard, you know a thousand of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Odddzy posted:

If there are a thousand new comics better than Burr I'd like to have just twenty of them to listen to. Can you give me a link to their podcast? It shouldn't be hard, you know a thousand of them.

he's not gonna gently caress you dude it's ok

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Alllllright then... Name fifteen of them.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Debate me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Ok, how about ten. You can't say I'm not doing this in good faith.

Easy-peasy baby!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Odddzy posted:

Ok, how about ten. You can't say I'm not doing this in good faith.

Easy-peasy baby!

I can say it and I will. You are very loving obviously not doing this in good faith. You can't just leave it at "this guy doesn't like Bill Burr as much as I do"?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Do I hear five? Just five comedians people, a steal at twice the price!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

FitFortDanga posted:

I can say it and I will. You are very loving obviously not doing this in good faith. You can't just leave it at "this guy doesn't like Bill Burr as much as I do"?

Man. I wasn't the one that bragged that I knew a thousand comics better than Burr and then couldn't even name one. The gall on you to turn this back on me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Frankly, I think this thread proves it:

There isn't a single comic funnier than Bill Burr, past or present. Based on the FACT that no one has mentioned another comic. The are nothing but pretenders to the throne occupied by Bill's beautiful rear end.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That guy sucks. I'd rather listen to a Gallagher II special.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Horney posted:

it's funny how these guys are incessantly talking about outrage culture and people go out of their way to be offended these days. do they not realize they are talking about themselves?

who did bill burr try to get fired because he doesnt find them funny?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I will say this though, Bill Burr is where he’s at because he’s had a long career and done pretty drat well. I’ve mentioned that his first Netflix special from 2014 is one of my all-time favorite sets. I’m bummed to hear the first half of Paper Tiger might be some bullshit hack, but he’s a keen guy so I’ll look forward to the rest.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I will say this though, Bill Burr is where he’s at because he’s had a long career and done pretty drat well. I’ve mentioned that his first Netflix special from 2014 is one of my all-time favorite sets. I’m bummed to hear the first half of Paper Tiger might be some bullshit hack, but he’s a keen guy so I’ll look forward to the rest.

If I can be serious for a second I wanted to say I agree with this.

I think that the first part of his set is going towards hack territory nowadays and it's why I didn't finish the special he did before this one. The formula has been cracked for a while now. I'm pretty sure that he knows he's in a period where the public wants one thing and hates another thing and he's been good at straddling the line and making both sides relatively happy. If it goes one way or the other I can't say, but I'm sure his future comedy sets will be able to endure.

He's also funnier than at least a thousand other dudes so there's always that to be proud of if nothing else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lumbermouth posted:

Do I hear five? Just five comedians people, a steal at twice the price!

I like Bill Burr fine but:

Doug Stanhope
Jim Jeffries
Kyle Kinane
Chris Rock
Dave Attell
Jeff Ross
Todd Barry
Ron White
Steven Wright
Lewis Black

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Odddzy posted:

If I can be serious for a second I wanted to say I agree with this.

I think that the first part of his set is going towards hack territory nowadays and it's why I didn't finish the special he did before this one. The formula has been cracked for a while now. I'm pretty sure that he knows he's in a period where the public wants one thing and hates another thing and he's been good at straddling the line and making both sides relatively happy. If it goes one way or the other I can't say, but I'm sure his future comedy sets will be able to endure.

He's also funnier than at least a thousand other dudes so there's always that to be proud of if nothing else.

I agree. He earned his place as one of The Greats. Paper Tiger wasn't his best special, by far, but it had some of the best individual bits of his career. It's unfortunate that most of the jokes around them are Old Man Yells At Clowd.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

BiggerBoat posted:

I like Bill Burr fine but:

Doug Stanhope
Jim Jeffries
Kyle Kinane
Chris Rock
Dave Attell
Jeff Ross
Todd Barry
Ron White
Steven Wright
Lewis Black

jeff ross and lewis black lol come on man. also jim jeffries sucks now but was good before

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I laughed (not sure what the guy is concretely upset about)

https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/1170910859205328898

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Telling people not to have kids is psychological warfare.....well that's a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
there's about a million better standups than burr. Hannibal Burress, Chapelle, John Mullaney Jim Jeffries Sarah Silverman I even like Chris loving Hardwick better as a standup, Rogan is arguably better along with Diaz and shaffir, Whitney Cummings sometimes, Jim Jeffries, David cross, Jim Norton, this isn't difficult

Odddzy posted:

Frankly, I think this thread proves it:

There isn't a single comic funnier than Bill Burr, past or present. Based on the FACT that no one has mentioned another comic. The are nothing but pretenders to the throne occupied by Bill's beautiful rear end.