Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Execute page 66.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

skasion posted:

they did

Nah Rey is way worse than that other character from another franchise aimed at literal children.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I feel like it’s 2002, Or whenever Revenge of the Sith came out. It should be way too early for the “they should have…“ To begin. As bad as the prequels were, that says something for what a lovely job Disney has done.

And it makes me just as frustrated. Once again, someone has squandered near-infinite resources to produce a few turds.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's so frustrating that there are endless ways to do interesting things with SW, but everyone involved seems to take every opportunity to make it worse. For all I hated TLJ, it felt like it at least tried to shake things up.

I'm not saying it did it well, but "how can you make film 3 about killing snoke if I kill him now" is a pretty good troll move. I can't imagine how pissed Disney must have been, and I'm amazed they didn't shitcan the thing.

9 looks like it's trying to make 8 make sense, which should be good for a laugh.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

It's so frustrating that there are endless ways to do interesting things with SW, but everyone involved seems to take every opportunity to make it worse. For all I hated TLJ, it felt like it at least tried to shake things up.

I'm not saying it did it well, but "how can you make film 3 about killing snoke if I kill him now" is a pretty good troll move. I can't imagine how pissed Disney must have been, and I'm amazed they didn't shitcan the thing.

9 looks like it's trying to make 8 make sense, which should be good for a laugh.

i liked TLJ, though with some caveats, and the three people I went with loved it. It fell apart in retrospect but it has enough great visuals and moments to be an enjoyable watch imo, for all the director's hard-on for slaughtering ever sacred cow he can find is a bit wearying.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

High Lord Elbow posted:

Are you really surprised? Straight white males are the only ones allowed to be flawed anymore. Disney is terrified of offending every other “group,” which leaves their characters flat and uninteresting, because flaws are what make people people.

Nah that's mostly incidental. There's an obvious attempt to write Finn as flawed from the start as his vocalized goal is to run away like a big bitch and save himself, but the character is one of the most incoherent I have ever seen so the overall arc works out very clumsily. That the character is even watchable is solely a product of Boyega's energy and charm, but playing that up just makes Finn even more confusing. Kylo's relative cohesiveness is still sloppy, but the sort of character he's portraying(a spoiled reactionary dressing up in his granddad's Nazi uniform) is more effectively rendered without a coherent philosophy, because everything at his base is about satisfying his collection of resentments. You can go on Twitter right now and see a million of these

The same poo poo that bogs Rey down has bogged down a million other straight white male protagonists in movies everyone's already forgotten and it's an intersection of dipshit Hollywood people misunderstanding how relatablity works(i.e. making protagonists too specific makes it so you can no longer "step into their shoes" or whatever the gently caress) as well as dipshit Hollywood people misunderstanding the Hero's Journey(i.e. taking it as prescriptive instead of descriptive, getting hung up on notions of destiny and the Refusal of the Call, that type of poo poo). They don't really understand what made Luke appealing or what Luke's "destiny" consisted of and Rey more than anything is a failure to reverse-engineer it. Offending people or not offending people doesn't really have anything to do with it

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lil Peeler posted:

Iirc TIE fighter pilot suits existed because the fighters didn't have life support systems. Also probably makes it easier to cast them as bad guys when you can't see their faces or eyes

Can I commission you to make a 3D render of a tie fighter inflating with explosive force

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sebmojo posted:

i liked TLJ, though with some caveats, and the three people I went with loved it. It fell apart in retrospect but it has enough great visuals and moments to be an enjoyable watch imo, for all the director's hard-on for slaughtering ever sacred cow he can find is a bit wearying.

the main appeal is that those imperial guards who used to just stand around in the background actually get to do something, and its pretty cool

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

Lies, no goon has three friends.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my top 5 star wars-related groans

5) finn and rose's kiss in tlj
4) qui-gon explaining midichlorians
3) that scene in rots where padme and anakin talk about how much they love each other
2) "now this is pod racing"
1) palp laughing in the ros trailer

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Nah that's mostly incidental. There's an obvious attempt to write Finn...

Rey...

Well put on all accounts. Finn sprang to my mind as I was writing that, but I feel like whatever they tried to do to make the character interesting ended up on the cutting room floor, so we end up with disjointed comic relief.

Ray is inexcusably dull, and even though all of the actors are competent with terrific chemistry, none of their ability can overcome the lack of decent writing.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

This is good analysis

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Clowner posted:

5) this thread
4) this thread
3) this thread
2) "now this is pod racing"
1) this thread

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I liked Finn when there was all the homoerotic tension between him and that pilot guy. But then TLJ happened

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Will there be any sand in The Rise of Skywalker?
...I just hate sand.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Lordshmee posted:

Execute page 66.

:69snypa:

Snoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

my dog died im sad posted:

Will there be any sand in The Rise of Skywalker?
...I just hate sand.

*Tastes some.*
“It’s salt.”

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

The Clowner posted:

1) palp laughing in the ros trailer

same, but on account of the orgasm

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

High Lord Elbow posted:

Well put on all accounts. Finn sprang to my mind as I was writing that, but I feel like whatever they tried to do to make the character interesting ended up on the cutting room floor, so we end up with disjointed comic relief.

Ray is inexcusably dull, and even though all of the actors are competent with terrific chemistry, none of their ability can overcome the lack of decent writing.

Finn and Poe are the only two that (IMO) had even a tiny amount of chemistry, and that was limited entirely to the whole 4-5 minutes that they appears on screen together in the first movie.

Kylo + Hux = Sad/Pathetic three stooges routine.
Finn + Rey = Didn't really see anything as 99% of what was happening was Rey yelling at him.
Han + Rey = Harrison Ford could only have phoned it in more if he was using a walkie-talkie taped to a phone.
Rey + BB8 = No. That's not chemistry, that's just 4-5 sight gags BB8 did.

The second movie is even worse, and the only instances where there might have been Chemistry was Finn and Rose "NOOOOOoooooOOOOOooo" (in Vader's voice) and Kylo and Rey (sort of for 2 minutes or so when they force chat and for 15 seconds after they defeat the worst bodyguards in the galaxy). Rey and Luke had nothing, and Carrie Fisher's death in no way affected her acting abilities if TFA/TLJ were any indication.

Also, with the exception of the Kamikaze run (the admiral's one, not Finn's attempted one), there wasn't a single visual that impressed me. Rogue One, Solo, and TFA had plenty, but this was almost comical how little I cared about anything (action wise) that was happening on screen.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 17, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The suicide jump scene looks good

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The chase through the red crystal cavern looks great too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do space suits exist in star wars

Maybe, who knows? Leia got spaced in that last movie but her eyeballs didn’t pop or anything and she survived, so maybe space has air but it’s still really cold

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And also those gosh darn sparklefoxes looked stupid!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
General Grievous survived the vacuum of space and his lungs are straight up exposed. Bare rear end lungs.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
More like General Alveolous

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did Rey ever have a "save the cat" moment?

I don't recall that she did.

That's probably why we all hate her.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, Rey never had a "But I was going to Tashi Station to pick up some power coverteerrrrrrs" moment.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember when BB8 flipped Finn the bird? But then they explained that it was actually a thumbs-up and that BB8 does, in fact, not have a personality.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Didn't George reveal what he suggested to Disney for the new trilogy and it was set in the micro-verse and was about the midiclorians that were living in Luke's body. Like they had a full world going on in there with their own trials and tribulations. lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Pretty sure he didn't mean that it was gonna be Fantastic Voyage, but even if he did, that sounds hilarious.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember when BB8 flipped Finn the bird? But then they explained that it was actually a thumbs-up and that BB8 does, in fact, not have a personality.

If BB8 flipped somebody off on screen I would watch Episode IX, but it would have to be with one of those Vaudeville gloves on the end of a Dr. Seuss style mechanical arm.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

Didn't George reveal what he suggested to Disney for the new trilogy and it was set in the micro-verse and was about the midiclorians that were living in Luke's body. Like they had a full world going on in there with their own trials and tribulations. lol

Like Osmosis Jones?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

Also, Rey never had a "But I was going to Tashi Station to pick up some power coverteerrrrrrs" moment.

Yes she did...

"But I want to spend the rest of my life on Jaku doing nothing but waiting for my parents to come back. . . any day now!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think that aspect of Rey’s character would work better if she was a kid. I get why they didn’t want to go for another child protagonist given how the last time someone tried that turned out, but it’s fairly ridiculous to have her as like 19 or 20 and still wandering around the supermarket looking for someone to hold her hand. She’s an adult, she can fight, fix things and fly a motherfucking starship, does she not have any ambition to do anything other than pick through trash in the desert for her whole life?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

High Lord Elbow posted:

Are you really surprised? Straight white males are the only ones allowed to be flawed anymore. Disney is terrified of offending every other “group,” which leaves their characters flat and uninteresting, because flaws are what make people people.

The gently caress is wrong with your brain. Finn is a loving coward who tries to run from every problem he has, the forgettable pilot is an arrogant rear end in a top hat who gets his whole squad killed.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ikanreed posted:

The gently caress is wrong with your brain. Finn is a loving coward who tries to run from every problem he has, the forgettable pilot is an arrogant rear end in a top hat who gets his whole squad killed.

Anyone who says "the Nazi was the only good character" is probably not arguing in good faith.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They are actually fun to watch sometimes because of their flaws. Straight up coward for one of main characters is a lot better than a featureless hero.

Like I'd settle for Rincewind equivalent in Star Wars any day.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

ikanreed posted:

Finn is only a coward in the first half of each movie. Then he is inspired by the hero (or a janitor) to become brave. At least until the next movie when you can repeat the cycle for extra deep character development!

Also I don't know why everyone keeps harping on the lack of any remaining resistance army as an issue to be overcome in the plot of the next film. Disney watched Game of Thrones same as the rest of us and probably thinks those guys are geniuses. The whole resistance will be Dothrakied back to life within the first 20 minutes.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Anyone who says "the Nazi was the only good character" is probably not arguing in good faith.
or just understands the concept of a character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

They are actually fun to watch sometimes because of their flaws. Straight up coward for one of main characters is a lot better than a featureless hero.

Like I'd settle for Rincewind equivalent in Star Wars any day.

Finn could be an interesting character, but really isn’t. What’s he really like? We know he was raised by the military, presumably he was kind of brainwashed, but it didn’t take because he’s an ideologically unengaged pussy who somehow got into one of Kylo’s death squads despite apparently being a janitor. That’s kind of hilarious, but also could be fairly real. Finn is seriously out of his depth in every way, piling lie upon lie to survive, and has a nice little arc in TFA culminating in his decision to stand and fight Kylo, who predictably beats the poo poo out of him.

But TLJ has no idea what to do with him. His plot is completely half assed and he just gets thrown from one set piece to another without ever having a moment that meaningfully builds on his arc in the first movie. Before TFA came out they spent a lot of time marketing the movie as though Finn would be the hero and leaning away from the fact that Rey was the Jedi. It kind of seems like the planning for the character never went beyond that.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

This is almost as stupid a hot take as “Actually Star Wars is a conspiracy against the noble aryan manhood of the white race”