Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your comparison with the other reanimation spells has convinced me: This card is actually really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
cauldron will be good if and only if we get some more cards like wayfinder or stitcher's supplier. it isnt designed to be in a traditional reanimator shell, it's designed to be in something closer to an aristocrats or other value based deck. it wont be good because the enablers dont exist, not because the card is actually weak.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

well, don't let me stop anyone from playing the card. it's cute, it's brewable, and i am kinda curious about turning it into a 12/12 with karn. i just think the most obvious, intended use case of the card is not very good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cauldron is a reanimation spell you can play from your GY using Emry. IDK if that's going to come together into anything, but seems like an interaction worth being aware of.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like 2BBB no-clause reanimation spell might be good enough for Standard, yeah.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

salt shakeup posted:

Kind of a spurious point to make so I was checking I didn't miss something. Magic is hard.

Combo decks having a secondary win condition to avoid losing to Surgical Extraction or something is a perfectly normal part of deckbuilding and it's very common to at least have a backup in the sideboard for postboard games. Think about Modern Storm running a mix of Grapeshot vs Empty the Warrens and UW Control splitting between Supreme Verdict, Day of Judgment, and Wrath of God to minimize their odds of getting locked out by Meddling Mages.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I feel like 2BBB no-clause reanimation spell might be good enough for Standard, yeah.

its not. its only good if you can get value from doing it for multiple turns in a row.

the emry interaction makes it much more likely to see play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Apparently test screenings proved far too intense and frightening, so what we have is an edit. I hope one day they'll release the uncut version of The Cauldron of Eternity.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tibalt posted:

It's not. Bond of Revival has seen some borderline play in tier 3 stuff, and Cauldron involves more hoops, more B, and a downside instead of a big upside. You have to reanimate multiple times for it to be worth playing, maybe along with taking advantage of it being high CMC, an artifact, or both.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tibalt posted:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tibalt posted:

there's a 4B no-clause reanimation spell that gives haste that's not good enough for Standard, so if you're gonna drink from this cup you're going to have to do better than that

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So we have Circle of Loyalty, Cauldron of Eternity, Embercleave, and Magic Mirror

All we are missing is the green legendary artifact now

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For real, you play it in a Whip-style shell getting back stuff with powerful etb effects every turn. Stitcher's Supplier, Bell-Haunt, that sort of thing. There are a ton of ways to get insane value out of this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Zombify was never good enough for constructed play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

Stitcher's Supplier

this one rotates out with m19

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

AnEdgelord posted:

So we have Circle of Loyalty, Cauldron of Eternity, Embercleave, and Magic Mirror

All we are missing is the green legendary artifact now

suit of armor that makes you unkillable to reference the green knight myth, maybe?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well, I just stole my momir opponent's zetalpa with bringer of the red dawn and then sacrificed it with that 3/3 basilisk.

Before I realized that I could have stolen my opponent's jin-gitaxis and then nuked them by feeding all the cards to my borborygmos.

So ya, there's a bit more to the top end of momir on arena, now.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

fadam posted:

How do people find artists to do custom art for playmats and poo poo? I might thrown some paper down to get something funny.

There's artists that do stuff like mtg fanart and card alters, but I've been out of the scene a long time and don't remember names.

You should also be able to reach out to any artist in general whose style you like and ask if they're open for commission, then send a blank white mat for them to sharpie on. I'd check instagram for artists. Sometimes at big mtg events there might be artists looking to be commissioned, too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Top 8 in worlds 2003 with a playset of 'em.

Because the Doomed Necromancers and Stitch Togethers weren't enough.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Toshimo posted:

RB Burning Wish Reanimator during Onslaught played Zombify

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huh, so it does. Gorging Vulture, I guess, unless there's some other cheap enabler in Eldraine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What I hope we see with the remaining cards:

-Excalibur (bonus if its an actually playable equipment)

-The Big Bad Wolf as a legendary (hopefully with that name)

-A food generator on the level of what Tireless Tracker was for Clues or at least what Treasure Map was for Treasures.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

Huh, so it does. Gorging Vulture, I guess, unless there's some other cheap enabler in Eldraine.

I didn't see anything cheaper that 3 yet, that dumbass apprentice only mills your opponent.

Related, does anyone know a way to tell scryfall to search for standard 2020 or am I forever doomed to type (e:eld or e:grn or e:war or e:m20) for the rest of eternity for 2 weeks?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The red sword we’ve seen already is the Excalibur inspired card

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

whydirt posted:

The red sword we’ve seen already is the Excalibur inspired card

Its so lame that I didn't even make this connection

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Just imagine playing the cauldron in a GB beatdown deck with cavalier of thorns. Or a deck with a handful of surveil effects. It's good.

Every card is contextual to its format and plenty of good cards never do anything in standard but that's definitely a Good Card

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I didn't see anything cheaper that 3 yet, that dumbass apprentice only mills your opponent.

Related, does anyone know a way to tell scryfall to search for standard 2020 or am I forever doomed to type (e:eld or e:grn or e:war or e:m20) for the rest of eternity for 2 weeks?

You want f:future. I don't think they have a tag for the Arena format Standard 2020 without Eldraine though.

Vantress Gargoyle is a bit slow as a self-mill enabler but also helps slow down the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

You want f:future. I don't think they have a tag for the Arena format Standard 2020 without Eldraine though.

Awesome, thanks! also i just realised i missed RNA when i did that, so Wall of Lost Thoughts is a cheap selfmill.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lone Goat posted:

there's a 4B no-clause reanimation spell that gives haste that's not good enough for Standard*, so if you're gonna drink from this cup you're going to have to do better than that

*current standard

And when 2020 dropped there were quite a few that played it and that Dragon that hits for 11 if unblocked. Too bad that the deck when you play Cavalcade and tap creatures is better

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Zombify had a perfect confluence of things that happened, though, a reanimator deck that wanted to reanimate Symbiotic Wurm so many times that it was willing to play 11 mainboard effects to get it.

Dread Return and Unhallowed Burial got work due to their flashback abilities. Torrent of Souls powered an archetype. Ever After placed once. Obzedat's Aid clung to MTGO dailies like a weird stench.

That's mostly it for the single-target reanimation spells like Zombify. Cheaper things like Death, Reanimate, etc. are a different story entirely because they're cheap.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
My psychic prediction is that the Cauldron won't do anything in Standard immediately, but will be very good post-Theros, because that seems like the kind of thing R&D would do. There's no chance that a set based around the underworld isn't going to have some kind of graveyard-matters theme.

AnEdgelord posted:

-The Big Bad Wolf as a legendary (hopefully with that name)

We already got that card.

And the green mythic is supposed to be the Great Henge (not-Stonehenge).

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone with more time than me should make a website for goons that lets them rate cards from 1-10 that locks before prerelease weekend because I bet every set would be 1-2 cards with 9 ratings and every other card a 1-3 rating

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This would be great for historical reference, right now you just have to remember which posters thought Field of the Dead was going to be unplayable garbage if you want to rib them for it later.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
On the other hand we'd get even pettier about each other's ability to evaluate cards.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Somebody make an open to edit spreadsheet on Google docs with the card names, let's make this a thing

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

On the other hand we'd get even pettier about each other's ability to evaluate cards.

It would be better than the current Comic Book Guy of method where you call every card bad unless it's amazing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

This would be great for historical reference, right now you just have to remember which posters thought Field of the Dead was going to be unplayable garbage if you want to rib them for it later.

I still think the biggest miss this thread ever had was Arclight Phoenix.

Some fun ones from last year:

mcmagic posted:

Niv Mizzet is always garbage.

mcmagic, on Expansion/Explosion posted:

Bad.

Now Phoenix:

TheKingofSprings, on Phoenix posted:

This is atrociously bad

InterrupterJones posted:

Well, those of you who have Rekindling Phoenix don’t have to worry about its price dropping due to a replacement any time soon.

Sickening posted:

I am sure at one point it was two spells but was deemed overpowered by someone who is dumb. It would have been bad at 2. Hell, might not even be good at 1.

Odiv posted:

Jeez, not both turns either, just yours.

Sickening, again posted:

2 instants and sorceries in a turn is not trivial. 3 in a turn is incredibly hard to produce in a game on constructed.

All on the same page. And then it was just forgotten.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

I still think the biggest miss this thread ever had was Arclight Phoenix.

Some fun ones from last year:

Now Phoenix:

All on the same page. And then it was just forgotten.

Lol, I was talking about standard. A deck that had to play powerhouses like Maximize Velocity just to get going. There is a reason it pre-ordered for 2.50 for so long.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Lol, I was talking about standard. A deck that had to play powerhouses like Maximize Velocity just to get going. There is a reason it pre-ordered for 2.50 for so long.

Yeah, and you were still very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

It's okay man you can just take the L on this one lol I thought it was bad too, it's fine