Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

welcome posted:

Did we ever find out what "gourmet" is code for?

I don't think so. So now it is slang for a sexual act involving food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cumshitter posted:

It's just a fat Yoshi. It looks like the fat chocobo from Final Fantasy, but it's Yoshi. It's not sexual it's just a fat version of a character like Bugs Bunny/chungus.

Oh like this?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

charity rereg posted:

men can barely dress and take care of themselves NOW, when they have literally three options to wear in business casual: pants, a polo, or a button up. they still barely can do this and end up looking disgusting and slovenly. if you let a man have any leeway at all he will come in wearing a huge disgusting white T-shirt and jorts. you must give them exact directions and severely restrict their options just to get them to look presentable.

1. Don't hire idiots.
2. If an employee doesn't understand how to look presentable and use good judgement on what is appropriate for the situation, fire them, they are terrible.
3. Yeah? Jeans, slacks, something with a collar, clean shoes, like this isn't difficult.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

From a few pages back, but this owns & you kick rear end. Glad you got out of that situation & showed people your family's true colors...what a bunch of bigoted assholes.

Gosh, thank you! I felt a lil guilty for a while actually, like it was too much. Eventually I realized that they would only respond to being displayed actual consequences for their behavior and actions, and the abuse would only have continued if I hadn't shown them that I can bite back. It was an awful night really, my father, stepmother, and sister all sat around while my stepmother called me a pervert, embarrassing, "against nature", irresponsible(for not giving her grandkids), too lazy to be a girl(?), lazy again, gullible, and many other things. This lasted for like an hour and a half and I decided "Okay time to leave this is dumb."

Then, since I had finally finish coming out to everyone in my family, I realized I could safely come out on Facebook. So I came out there and also explained everything that happened because I knew a lot of my friends on Facebook are mutual friends and business relationships of my dad's, and we live in the SF Bay Area, so you can guess how that turned out for him.

Sometimes people will only listen if you can hit them in the wallet.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for yelling at the host of a party for leaving edibles on the counter?

My family was recently invited to party to celebrate the start of the NFL season. My wife and I attended the party along with my son (12M). The host of the party had a bunch of snacks on the kitchen counter and as you can expect, my son ran over and helped himself to some snacks.

The host had left a tray if brownies and out a lable beside it that said "edible". I guess my son thought that the sign was some kind of joke and that it was indicating that the brownie was just edible.

I didn't notice the sign at first and my son gobbled down a piece of the brownie. About 30 mins later I go to get something out of the kitchen and realize that the loving brownies are edibles. I proceed to flip out on the host infront of everybody and call him a a bunch of names. I left and had to out my son to bed and hope he doesn't freak out.

My wife thinks that I could have handled that better and there was a sign so it's kinda his fault. I disagree because the sing was kinda hard to see and not very kid friendly. The sign should have been something more along the lines of "weed:18+ only" or something like that. AITA for flipping out on the host.

Edit: Lot of people are asking if it was a family party. Host said bring your kids. There were at least 2 other families with kids there. I'm assuming more showed up by the time we left.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’ve had to deal with the long sleeve dress shirts and slacks even if I had to crawl on the floor to do my work. Short sleeve polos weren’t allowed expect on Fridays. Women had a lot more leeway in what they could wear. Just how it went.

charity rereg posted:

men can barely dress and take care of themselves NOW, when they have literally three options to wear in business casual: pants, a polo, or a button up. they still barely can do this and end up looking disgusting and slovenly. if you let a man have any leeway at all he will come in wearing a huge disgusting white T-shirt and jorts. you must give them exact directions and severely restrict their options just to get them to look presentable.

This is pretty ridiculous.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 17, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for saying my co workers baby is ugly?

My co worker recently had a baby boy and was back from maternity leave and brought him so the office could meet him. Everyone was very happy for her and excited to meet the baby. I was happy for her as well but not that excited to see the baby cause I don’t really like kids or babies that much. I especially find babies a little mushy and gross looking. I don’t get the appeal but whatever none of my business.

Nonetheless she brought him one day and everyone was gushing over him and at the end I went over to congratulate her and wished her baby was well and healthy. I was turning around to get back to work and she started talking and saying how cute he was and didn’t I think he was the cutest perfect baby and she looked at me to see if I was gonna say anything. Probably like the typical stuff my other co workers were saying. Immediately I knew where this was going and didn’t wanna lie so I said his little onesie was cute and that I had to get back to work (know I suck at lying).

Anyways over the next few weeks I don’t know if she did this with everyone else but it seemed like she was almost fixated on me because I was the only one who was not crazy about her baby. She kept coming over to my desk to show me pictures and telling me stories and asked at least twice in each conversation we had “how cute is he, isn’t he the cutest” Each time I would just respond with light uh huh yea and never actually said that I thought he was cute.

At first I kinda shrugged it off cause she was a new mom and it’s exciting for her but after a while it got annoying and tiring. I had told her each time that I needed to get back to my work and if she could refrain from distracting me in the future but she kept at it. Eventually I just wanted to give her what she wanted and so I said as enthusiastically as I could how cute her baby was, but apparently she didn’t buy it and kept on doing this for another few days.

Now yesterday is when I had the final straw and as soon as she asked me the question on how cute her baby was I told her really calmly to stop bothering me and talking to me about her baby. I said I didn’t care for her baby stories or pictures and that I don’t know what she wants from me exactly and if she was looking for me to gush over her baby and call it cute that I couldn’t do that because I found her baby quite ugly. I asked her to leave me alone and said I did not have any desire to speak to her again other than work related topics then I wished her family well.

Well she told this to everyone in my office and said I called her baby ugly and now everyone is calling me an rear end in a top hat and that she was just excited and sharing her excitement. One person came up to me and called me heartless and I’ll admit that kinda stung but is it true? Was I an rear end in a top hat?

Edit: I’ve seen a lot YTA and I’ll accept that judgement. Although I do want to clarify some things.

My co worker and I are not friends or even work friends, we have rarely spoken to each other before all this since we are in different departments.

Each and every time she would walk to my desk (which I should say her desk is on the other side of the floor so quite far from mine and she would only ever come to my desk and no one else in my area). I told her that she was distracting me and that I needed her to stop and allow me to work.

I tried to lie multiple times and said her baby was cute and gave compliments and I did this everyday for about a week all the while still reminding her that I needed her to stop distracting me. But even after then she kept bothering me with the same conversation and questions.

She wasn’t doing this to anyone else in my area so it felt quite obvious that my initial impression I gave when she first brought her baby was not good enough for her so it felt like she was almost targeting me to say her baby was cute.

Also I did mention to her that I wasn’t the most fond of babies and while I did essentially say I found her baby ugly, what I said exactly was “I don’t find babies cute and I found all the babies I have seen in my life, including myself when I was a baby and including your baby quite ugly.

Anyways I’ll accept that I was an rear end in a top hat and definitely keep this in mind for the future

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for playing a big prank on my religious cousins?

I’m in a...not good situation right now. My mom is having some personal issue, and she’s making me (15M) stay with my cousins in Tennessee for a few months. They (aunt, uncle, son (14M), daughter (11F)) are very Christian and superstitious. They believe in casting out demons, and they anoint us with oil and don’t allow any video games or modern tv. They think it will let evil into the house. They drag me to church two times a week, and it’s like a weird one where they speak in tongues. I don’t want to disrespect their beliefs, but it’s really not my kind of thing.

I really enjoy reading fantasy books, and I liked watching those kind of movies too before I moved here. Yesterday, my aunt found out I had a copy of City of Bones and a few other books like that, and she lost her poo poo. She burned them in this fire pit thing they have, and now she want to do regular inspections of my room.

I was obviously pissed, so after she went to bed, I took ketchup from the fridge and drew a pentagram on the bathroom mirror (supposed to look like blood lmao). I also wrote names of random demons I knew around it, along with the phrase “we will eat your soul.”

Needless to say, they lost their minds. And they called my other aunt to come get me. My aunt hadn’t said a word to me, and she’s anointing every doorway in their place. My uncle made me wipe it off and he called me some not very Christian words.

AITA for doing the prank?

Edit: for the people saying that my mom is an rear end in a top hat for leaving me...she didn’t really have a choice. My mom is in rehab right now unfortunately. If she didn’t go she would have to serve time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My family was recently invited to party to celebrate the start of the NFL season. My wife and I attended the party along with my son (12M). The host of the party had a bunch of snacks on the kitchen counter and as you can expect, my son ran over and helped himself to some snacks.

The host had left a tray if brownies and out a lable beside it that said "edible". I guess my son thought that the sign was some kind of joke and that it was indicating that the brownie was just edible.

I didn't notice the sign at first and my son gobbled down a piece of the brownie. About 30 mins later I go to get something out of the kitchen and realize that the loving brownies are edibles. I proceed to flip out on the host infront of everybody and call him a a bunch of names. I left and had to out my son to bed and hope he doesn't freak out.

My wife thinks that I could have handled that better and there was a sign so it's kinda his fault. I disagree because the sing was kinda hard to see and not very kid friendly. The sign should have been something more along the lines of "weed:18+ only" or something like that. AITA for flipping out on the host.

Edit: Lot of people are asking if it was a family party. Host said bring your kids. There were at least 2 other families with kids there. I'm assuming more showed up by the time we left.

Uh what the gently caress. That host is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this is wildly irresponsible on the host's part, drat

quote:

there shouldn't even be a sign. any edibles should be safely secured away from children. ask your adult guests if they would like one. kids aren't going to stop to read a sign before they start eating brownies, what the hell. you can't count on a 12 year old to know whats up

e: why would you just leave them out anyway? who wants to go back for seconds or thirds on edibles, at a daytime party with kids around?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

My wife thinks that I could have handled that better and there was a sign so it's kinda his fault. [/b]I disagree because the sing was kinda hard to see and not very kid friendly. The sign should have been something more along the lines of "weed:18+ only" or something like that.[/b] AITA for flipping out on the host.

Well clearly the 12 year old would have understood that brownies labeled 18+ were full of drugs.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

jfc leaving weed edibles out at a party with kids what's wrong with people.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My wife thinks that I could have handled that better and there was a sign so it's kinda his fault

what the gently caress????

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
* leaves a whole lottta edibles on the counter*

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Honestly I think even it it was a party with JUST adults I'd at least make a clearer sign.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Honestly I think even it it was a party with JUST adults I'd at least make a clearer sign.

I'm surprised there was a sign, in my circle of friends where such things show up they seem to just assume folks know what's got pot in it. They're good people in a lot of ways, but it seems to be a consistent blind spot among the lot of them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AITA for beign sad about my only son marrying an infertile woman?

quote:

The other night we were having diner with my son and his girlfriend. When we finish eating they announce that they were going to marry. I was incredibly happy , she is a wonderful girl and they have already been 7 years together. So I decided to make a joke about when they were going to have their first baby. My future daughter in law look at me awkwardly and said “ I don’t think we are going to have any sons, I can’t “. Apparently she has a condition that highly increase the changes of stillborn and even puts here in danger in a pregnancy.

Now I was very sad by this. I always wanted to be a grandparent. Helping my daughter in law during her pregnancy, watching my grandson grown, etc. So I was very shocked and sad about this new. My son noticed and I explain to them the situation. He was noticeable upset about it. She told me it wasn’t that big of a problem and that they were even considering adoption but it isn’t the same for me, but he didn’t understand it. Meanwhile my husband and her girlfriend were quiet

We didn’t talk about that in the rest of the night. I tried to apologize about it but my son was still upset about it. And although I didn’t want to hurt him or her Iam still sad. AITA for beign sad ?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yes. But much more of an rear end in a top hat for saying something. If you're going to be irrationally lovely about something, keep it inside or talk to your therapist.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

OP doesn’t deserve grandkids if that’s how they treat their children - they aren’t loving baby machines. “Adoption isn’t the saaaame” gently caress you.

Anywhoozles,

quote:

[CT] daughter is suspended from school for 2 weeks and school will only let her back if she gets unnecessary therapy. Please help.
u/Claudie628
My daughter is 6 and just started first grade. The school brought in a wildlife instructor to show them some animals. My daughter hates snakes and that was one of the animals they brought. The instructor told her to touch the snake. She said no. The teacher also told her to touch the snake. She said no again. Both the instructor and the teacher began pressuring her to touch the snake and told her they wouldn’t move on until she did. She started crying and ran out into the hallway. She stayed in the hall right outside the door. This is the story from the teacher FYI, so I know my daughter isn’t lying or exaggerating.

I got called into school and the principal said that running out of class without permission is an automatic 2 week suspension. When I heard the story, I asked why they didn’t just let her not touch the snake. It seems to me that she had a fairly expected reaction for a 6 year old in that situation. They said that they were doing “exposure therapy” and were working to make sure she got over her “irrational fears.”

I asked if there was any way that they could change the suspension, since I can’t afford unexpected childcare for 2 weeks. They said that they would waive it if I could show proof of getting her therapy for her fear of snakes. Frankly, I can’t afford therapy, and even if I could, there are many things that my daughter could make better use of than therapy for a fear of snakes when we live in a city and rarely encounter snakes.

I’m furious with the school and also at a loss. Can the school put her through “exposure therapy” without my permission? Would a lawyer help me get her back into school? Are there any legal remedies here? Please help. TIA.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Haifisch posted:

Reading the estranged parents thread really makes these ones pop out.

You can tell she is poo poo because it's all about her and how she is "sad" instead of the actual lovely behavior towards the daughter in law and son.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The host had left a tray if brownies and out a lable beside it that said "edible". .
Should have left some Rum and Cokes labeled "Drinks" on the counter to complement the brownies.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

teen witch posted:

Anywhoozles,

If you read this post in a quiet place out loud you can actually hear the nearest lawyer begin salivating

Xik posted:

Reading the estranged parents thread really makes these ones pop out.

You can tell she is poo poo because it's all about her and how she is "sad" instead of the actual lovely behavior towards the daughter in law and son.

Seriously, it even has that same offputting tone that makes me feel all cold, vaguely anxious, and detached when I read it

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 17, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snakes are a real phobia, people with it aren't loving around. My mom is a grown rear end woman and would quite possibly have gotten violent in that situation. A 6 year old who is coherent enough to not run away from the classroom door is to be commended.

I say they find a lawyer with the same phobia and go to loving town on the school district.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What happened to just teaching math and poo poo? Since loving when is it a school's job to expose children to snakes?

Im never having children. Not because I'm one of those childfree dorks. I don't hate children. It's just that society seems to make the already unreasonably hard job of parenting even more impossible sometimes.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 17, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why the hell are the teacher and instructor pressuring a scared six year old to touch a snake and then coming down with a massive punishment for it? It sounds like some kind of petty power trip.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're not psychologists and they're not providing mental care for the kid. They can shove the bullshit justification up their asses while I call the district offices to lodge a complaint.
Automatic 2 weeks? What loving dipshits. If they're people of color the idiot principal is going to end up putting the kid through college with the harassment suit that'll get laid at their feet.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What happened to just teaching math and poo poo? Since loving when is it a school's job to expose children to snakes?
Snaketouching is dumb but that would fall under enrichment (see also, walking to the local Fire Department or Library). It's likely cheaper and more convenient than organizing a field trip.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 17, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for enforcing the "No work talk, or else your wear the dunce cap" rule at a party, embarrassing a new guy?

I have a few friends from work that I go out with after work sometimes. To the bar, to house parties, etc. We have a rule that we don't talk about work after we leave the office, the punishment being that anyone who mentions work has to wear a dumb hat that says "dunce" on it and is shaped like a triangle with bells. A literal dunce cap. It only changes hands when someone new brings up work.

We sometimes have exceptions, like if the job has been stressful recently and we need to vent without the bosses hearing. But that's rare.

It's usually been lots of fun, and it keeps us from dwelling on shop-talk when we hang out. And it's a laugh to trick each other into wearing the hat.

Anyway, me, 2 other girls, and 4 guys from work went to a party last weekend. One of the guys was new and he seemed cool, so we invited him, told him about the "hat rule" and all seemed good.

At the party, he was making small talk with me about something that our boss said, and I was like 'NewGuy needs the hat!' and we put it on him. He was kind of irritable like "Do I really have to wear this" and we said that he can pass it on to anyone he catches talking about work.

Nobody else was talking about it for a while though, and at one point I saw the hat thrown behind a chair, and I went and jokingly put it back on the guy's head. My friends backed me up saying that those are the rules.

He got kind of annoyed and told me off in the hallway when I was waiting for the bathroom, saying that there was a girl at the party he known in college and wanted to impress, and we were embarrassing him with the hat.

I was like "Sorry man. But honestly if she's chill she'll take it as a joke.

And he was like 'I don't want to be a loving joke" and I walked away at that point, and one of my other friends put the hat back in his bag.

Are we the assholes for the hat thing?

AITA myself for what I did? I didn't think it was that serious

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for guessing that my roommate has scoliosis when she asked me if I noticed anything new about her

These people are so goddamn weird.

only engineers use decimal inches and if she was an engineer she would have said 210 mils anyway, wtf

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FilthyImp posted:

They're not psychologists and they're not providing mental care for the kid. They can shove the bullshit justification up their asses while I call the district offices to lodge a complaint.
Automatic 2 weeks? What loving dipshits. If they're people of color the idiot principal is going to end up putting the kid through college with the harassment suit that'll get laid at their feet.
I wonder if the "exposure therapy" excuse actually provides cover or makes things worse. On the one hand it sounds like a better reason than "we just wanted her to touch a snake," on the other hand there are probably regulations on who can do therapy and how, and a school is probably expected to follow those regulations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah if you just say “well we just really wanted her to touch the snake” that’s one thing but now that they’ve said they were doing unlicensed therapy I wonder if that’s actionable—though the OP can’t afford childcare so it’s unlikely they can afford a lawyer

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah if you just say “well we just really wanted her to touch the snake” that’s one thing but now that they’ve said they were doing unlicensed therapy I wonder if that’s actionable—though the OP can’t afford childcare so it’s unlikely they can afford a lawyer

lawyer would probably probono that poo poo, honestly if she threatens action they would likely immediately reverse the decision and try to not get sued.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Mill Town posted:

engineers use decimal inches

lmfao

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

snergle posted:

what could of happened in 2008 to make him hate the federal govt? could it be OBAMA!?

This could be a reference to the whole "everyone working in banking is a crook, crashed the economy as a result, got bailed out with federal money, walked away with a pile of cash, and no one got punished for it" thing at the time. Doesn't justify dodging taxes, but that whole series of events made it extra clear that the rules weren't the same for everyone.

Three Olives posted:

3. Yeah? Jeans, slacks, something with a collar, clean shoes, like this isn't difficult.

You're already not requiring ties, what's the point of a collar?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DemoneeHo posted:

Help! My Husband’s Ex-Wife Moved in With Us.

Three months later:
Re: My husband's ex won't leave

:owned:

so loving good

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

chitoryu12 posted:

My girlfriend likes cuddling naked with her male and female friends

cuddling naked, passionately hugging and speaking intensely into their buttocks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I wonder if the "exposure therapy" excuse actually provides cover or makes things worse. On the one hand it sounds like a better reason than "we just wanted her to touch a snake," on the other hand there are probably regulations on who can do therapy and how, and a school is probably expected to follow those regulations.

Holy poo poo she needs to sue. She really needs to make sure her daughter knows she was in the right and understands consent because you really don't want to be putting the idea that you have to do everything an adult tells you into a child's head.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MF_James posted:

lawyer would probably probono that poo poo, honestly if she threatens action they would likely immediately reverse the decision and try to not get sued.

Oh no, that’s a slam dunk for any competent lawyer, seeing as providing exposure therapy for anyone under 18 without parental permission seems like a :can: of liabilities.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If that case where the school gave out laptops, then turned on webcams to monitor the students in their own rooms is any example there is no shortage of people at the management level in education that will readily and openly do something super illegal in violation of a student's privacy/safety/health rights and trumpet their status as a school employee like its a blank check to flout state and federal law.

It's like the joke about teachers, except now its the people who want to manage teachers, and its an extra extreme level of incompetence and stubbornness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Haifisch posted:

I hope that son & wife have a miracle baby but are unanimously warned by a panel made up of every allergy doctor in the world that the child will almost certainly develop an anaphylactic reaction if the kid is ever in the same room building city as either grandparent, hears the voice of either grandparent, or indeed if a grandparent even sees a photo of the grandkid.