Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My suit was significantly more expensive than the dress. I also wear it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If you think I'm not going to stomp around drunkenly in my giant poofy dress all the time after the wedding you're crazy

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
My husband's custom bespoke pirate costume and my custom bespoke pirate costume cost about the same. He didn't believe me that we should budget the same amount for each but I wound up being right once he started pricing stuff out. It took FOREVER to find a really good maker for a 1700s waistcoat.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My dress and his suit cost about the same ($2500). He wears his suit fairly often, though not as much as I’d like, because it’s a little flashy for lawyering (blue, lmao). My dress is actually a charming little cocktail dress plus a big rear end tulle skirt, so while I haven’t gotten a lot of use out of the skirt, I wore the dress most recently on our anniversary.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

small bird pudding posted:

I realize this post is a couple of weeks old, but fwiw my husband and I eloped to Copenhagen from the US a year ago. We didn't go with a package, after looking at a few and at the process on the city website. Danish law makes it easy for foreigners to get married there (although our florist had to go to Sweden for her wedding because she's Danish and her husband isn't from the EU), and Copenhagen has made it very straightforward if you just want to get married at their City Hall.

It will help to figure out a country, if only so you know what laws you're dealing with. As I mentioned, we could get married under Danish law without a long residency period or any sort of weird paperwork, but other countries can be different. Having to deal with that will inform your costs, as will determining what you want the package to provide (photos, flowers, etc.).

We settled on Scotland and found a hunting lodge that has a reasonably priced elopement package. I think we get two nights, a full Scottish breakfast, champagne, and the wedding itself which is just am officiant and some witnesses if we need them. We're flying some photographers out with us, since they said they would waive the session fee if we paid for flights and accommodation. The paperwork is pretty easy under UK law and flights out of Inverness are pretty cheap. We even got the date we wanted because we're nerds and are booking two years in advance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My part of wedding planning is the invitations- is there a goon approved website for custom designs and/ or a guide for creating them? I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew when volunteering for this...

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Bi-la kaifa posted:

We settled on Scotland and found a hunting lodge that has a reasonably priced elopement package. I think we get two nights, a full Scottish breakfast, champagne, and the wedding itself which is just am officiant and some witnesses if we need them. We're flying some photographers out with us, since they said they would waive the session fee if we paid for flights and accommodation. The paperwork is pretty easy under UK law and flights out of Inverness are pretty cheap. We even got the date we wanted because we're nerds and are booking two years in advance.

Oh nice. Nothing wrong with booking in advance either. We submitted the paperwork the first day we could so that we'd get July 4.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

My part of wedding planning is the invitations- is there a goon approved website for custom designs and/ or a guide for creating them? I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew when volunteering for this...

We used Zola for creating the invitations + tracking the RSVPs

Was super helpful when we had to do seating for dinner as we live in california so we had meat, vs. meat + halal, vs. vegetarian, vs. gluten free etc etc

Also used Zola for doing our thank you notes. They mail you the envelopes pre-addressed so all you need to do is write the note and lick the stamp

Pricing was reasonable, I am a very DIY-er person but the convenience factor really trumped the ~$1.20/per guest cost, especially once you factor in the free RSVP thing and also the wedding registry is on the same site

If you're not going to do RSVP + registry on zola the value proposition falls apart really quickly

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Professor Shark posted:

Vistaprint has pre-made ones that you can customize and have printed, if that’s something you’re interested in.
We ordered a lot of things for our wedding, side business, Christmas cards etc from there and have always had good experiences.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Vistaprint has pre-made ones that you can customize and have printed, if that’s something you’re interested in.
We ordered a lot of things for our wedding, side business, Christmas cards etc from there and have always had good experiences.

My fiance made our invitations in Photoshop and we used Vistaprint for them. They came out great. I also ordered address labels from them, though I didn't buy the pre-printed cards (also an option if you want it). Cost way less than my budget, but that's partially because I waited until they had one of their many 20% off coupons. For thank yous, I just bought a pack of 80 on sale at Marshall's for like $5.

We're using The Knot for a website and RSVP and we just put a short url on the invite. It's been working well so far.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm using Minted, and its been great so far, very customizable, tons of options, and easy to use, although so far only the save the dates have gone out. I assume all the other websites people are mentioning print the addresses for you for no upcharge, if they don't for some reason skip them. gently caress writing out addresses. Putting all the addresses into the excel sheet sucked but its going to be worth it in the long run when I don't have to do it again for invites or thank you notes. Also if no one was thoughtful enough to give you a return address stamp for your engagement go get one now.

edit: wedding website chat, being the dorks we are we managed to snag firstnameandfirstnamewedding.com for ours, and while I'm on the fence about changing my name at the moment, just in case I also snagged my possible full name as a gmail address.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 2, 2019

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Dumb question: are you supposed to put the actual time the ceremony is going to start on the invitations? Or are you supposed to put the time you expect guests to start arriving? (e.g., for 4 pm ceremony, put 3:30)

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm using Minted, and its been great so far, very customizable, tons of options, and easy to use, although so far only the save the dates have gone out. I assume all the other websites people are mentioning print the addresses for you for no upcharge, if they don't for some reason skip them. gently caress writing out addresses. Putting all the addresses into the excel sheet sucked but its going to be worth it in the long run when I don't have to do it again for invites or thank you notes. Also if no one was thoughtful enough to give you a return address stamp for your engagement go get one now.

edit: wedding website chat, being the dorks we are we managed to snag firstnameandfirstnamewedding.com for ours, and while I'm on the fence about changing my name at the moment, just in case I also snagged my possible full name as a gmail address.
I am using Minted (used VistaPrint for our Save the Dates, that was cheap and fine, though I did have to do all the return labels + addressing myself) for invites + RSVP and hoping to finalize everything in my designs today. I think they have pretty good customizability, but I've encountered some irritating limitations, like some fonts not being available for some design suites.

Did you have to ask for any "special requests" in yours? I'm worried they're going to slow down processing of ours (which we really should get ASAP...) even though I'm asking for super simple stuff that I couldn't do through their design system, like adding another text line.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I put time to arrive with a thirty minute buffer before the ceremony, welcome drinks were provided thirty minutes before the stated time. People were still super late.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about that wrt start time. gently caress. As far as adding another text line on minted, I haven't tried it, but that may change in the next day or two as I put some more work into it than "oh that's a neat design"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Used Minted for our wedding website, only about 1/3 of the people actually used it and maybe 1/2 of them (so probably 1/6) actually understood the concept of multiple pages/tabs, then we used a combination of Zazzle/Minted for save the dates, invitations and thank yous. Zazzle had deals going on so I think we did invitations through them, I believe save the dates as well (I think we bought them all at the same time), and then thank yous came from Minted because they had some promo going on. We did a destination wedding though so that's why ours was a bit more complex wrt the webstie.

Minted was ok, the website was easy since you're just filling forms, my wife did the thank you portion though; for Zazzle my aunt did the designs of both the save the dates and the invitations so I don't have much input there, but I'd look around there as well because they have promos running a lot.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Minted had never not been running a sale when I've been to the site. Got 20% off on the save the dates, and I'm going to sit on my invites until I get 20% off those too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Getting engaged in two weeks (with a little luck). We're both early 30s, are firmly committed to No Kids, and have our long term financial plans in alignment.

...our historic financial plans have not been so similar. There is a net worth disparity of $1M and $0. Is a prenuptial agreement a reasonable suggestion? Or are those literally just for $100M+ men and their 19 year old trophy brides?

The goal isn't to be :goonsay: about what's mine and what's hers, but in case of Unforeseen Difficulties it seems reasonable that the initial $1M wouldn't get cut in half.

It’s been two weeks, please report back!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zaftig posted:

My fiance made our invitations in Photoshop and we used Vistaprint for them. They came out great. I also ordered address labels from them, though I didn't buy the pre-printed cards (also an option if you want it). Cost way less than my budget, but that's partially because I waited until they had one of their many 20% off coupons. For thank yous, I just bought a pack of 80 on sale at Marshall's for like $5.

We're using The Knot for a website and RSVP and we just put a short url on the invite. It's been working well so far.

Are you able to upload your designs and then choose the paper? I was thinking I could design them (or, more likely, pay someone else to based on my design) and have them printed off. Vistaprint has some nice designs, but we were hoping for someone a bit more personal.

Edit: I should note, I was hoping for some pretty heavyweight paper

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Professor Shark posted:

Are you able to upload your designs and then choose the paper? I was thinking I could design them (or, more likely, pay someone else to based on my design) and have them printed off. Vistaprint has some nice designs, but we were hoping for someone a bit more personal.

Edit: I should note, I was hoping for some pretty heavyweight paper

Yeah, there are a lot of options for paper. I looked at their standard dimensions and gave those to my fiance to work with, and then we uploaded the image and had a TON of options to choose from for paper and envelopes and stuff.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Need some engagement ring advice. My girlfriend and I are ready to get engaged, and I need to pick out a ring to propose with, but am kind of lost!

Here's what's going on:
  • My gf does not need or even want an expensive ring, even though I could probably afford something up to $10K at the top end. I want to make sure at least what I get is nice and won't be laughed at by others, though.
  • She says she trusts my judgment on how the ring looks (but personally I'm a little daunted at choosing lol). It doesn't necessarily need to be a diamond - she said she likes anything pretty, and has also mentioned moissanite and emerald when we talked. The only thing is that she wants a ring with a single stone, rather than one with multiple small stones encircling the ring
  • She doesn't wear rings day-to-day, and I don't know her ring size; I don't think she does either. She has said that she doesn't plan on wearing the engagement ring day-to-day because she will have to remove it at times, and has a history of losing small items like this

With that in mind, where should I start looking? I looked at the sites in the OP, but was kind of overwhelmed by the amount of options. I'm not sure how I"d feel about ordering a $1,000+ ring online, either. If I were to go to jewelers, how would I find a reputable one? I was thinking of taking her ring shopping in person so we could figure out her ring size, but I'm not sure if that would completely ruin the surprise (alternatively, I suppose I'd just ask her to measure her ring size).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have her go to a jewellery store and get sized for an engagement ring. It's free they do it probably 20 times a day.

Triple check with her friends that she doesn't want to help with picking out the ring. Some women honestly don't care but in my experience they do

Probably just swing by the jewellery stores at the mall and swing by Jared's and ask her what she likes and especially what she doesn't like. My wife was able to rule out a bunch of cuts and styles and that helped us narrow things down considerably

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

ThePineapple posted:

• She says she trusts my judgment on how the ring looks (but personally I'm a little daunted at choosing lol). It doesn't necessarily need to be a diamond - she said she likes anything pretty, and has also mentioned moissanite and emerald when we talked. The only thing is that she wants a ring with a single stone, rather than one with multiple small stones encircling the ring
Just a heads up because I was considering it for my ring, emerald is apparently not good for rings you wear frequently because it's not as durable as rubies, sapphires, or diamonds. But I guess if she really doesn't plan on wearing it that often, it would be okay.

I am a clumsy dumbass so we ended up going with a low setting so it wouldn't snag on things and a sapphire (which was pretty special for me--it was a Sri Lankan sapphire that I got to pick out, with a custom ring design I made, while we were there with my partner's family--who are from there) for the main stone. I also came in not wanting smaller diamonds on the ring, but the jeweler convinced me, and was correct, that even tiny diamonds would really accentuate the central gemstone.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I wouldn’t worry about the price and how people will perceive it. I have a stunning, wonderful vintage ring that’s not a diamond (less expensive but still gorgeous gemstone) - I get compliments on it every single day and it was in the 3 figures price-wise. I love it and it’s perfect for me.

Imo the best thing you can do is recruit a helpful friend of hers who can find out her preferences and convey them to you while still retaining the element of surprise. I had a friend help my fiancé and I am helping the same friend’s boyfriend as he gets ready to propose.

If you can get a general sense of stone preferences (I had 3-4 gemstones I liked, none were diamonds), cut preferences (eg I love emerald cut, hate round solitaires, or whatever) and metal preference (white vs yellow gold), any decent jeweler can take it from there!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My husband bought mine for £600 from Etsy and it was shipped from the US to the UK. It's got a rough diamond at the centre, tiny sapphires on the band, and is made of white gold so you can get very nice pieces for not too much money if you look around. I had also said I didn't want an expensive ring and this has been perfectly hard-wearing for the last two years.

I made a Pinterest to help guide my husband as I also trusted his judgement but he didn't know where to start. I've ended up with something I probably wouldn't have picked myself but that I love much more. Embrace the challenge, do a bit of research, and you'll smash it!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Hey, I'm getting married in 12 days!

I'm really wishing we could have found the time for a basic dance class, and I'm hoping that my allergies aren't going to act up on the day. Other than that, super psyched.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Baronash posted:

Hey, I'm getting married in 12 days!

I'm really wishing we could have found the time for a basic dance class, and I'm hoping that my allergies aren't going to act up on the day. Other than that, super psyched.

all of the above but in 30 days

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
We're planning an informal after party at a fairly large bar in town. 140 guests, but the large majority won't be going, I'm certain (wedding ends 10:30, so people won't be there till 11 at earliest).

How rude is it to not tell the bar we're coming until about a week before, since we don't want to pay for a private room or anything? If they're too full we can just migrate to other bars within a few blocks.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

ThePineapple posted:

Need some engagement ring advice. My girlfriend and I are ready to get engaged, and I need to pick out a ring to propose with, but am kind of lost!

Here's what's going on:
  • My gf does not need or even want an expensive ring, even though I could probably afford something up to $10K at the top end. I want to make sure at least what I get is nice and won't be laughed at by others, though.
  • She doesn't wear rings day-to-day, and I don't know her ring size; I don't think she does either. She has said that she doesn't plan on wearing the engagement ring day-to-day because she will have to remove it at times, and has a history of losing small items like this

With that in mind, where should I start looking? I looked at the sites in the OP, but was kind of overwhelmed by the amount of options. I'm not sure how I"d feel about ordering a $1,000+ ring online, either. If I were to go to jewelers, how would I find a reputable one? I was thinking of taking her ring shopping in person so we could figure out her ring size, but I'm not sure if that would completely ruin the surprise (alternatively, I suppose I'd just ask her to measure her ring size).

My engagement ring ended up being $250 on sale, but priced at $900 on a regular day. I wasn't used to wearing rings, didn't want to spend a lot on it, worried about losing it. It ended up being a sapphire with small diamonds circling it from Macy's. Sometimes I wish it were clearer that it's an engagement ring, but I'm a practical person and am proud we got a good deal on it. (In a very practical, broke-ish, same-sex engagement though, so differed expectations). 14 months later, still haven't lost it! We picked out our own rings, but the other person paid for it.

I've read before that men tend to assume women want a more lavish and expensive ring than they actually want, and that the industry really pushes this to get men to spend more. (Same with the focus on it being a surprise). Ask her if she wants to be surprised or if she doesn't care. It doesn't sound, based on your post, that the ring itself is a big priority for her. if the surprise is important to her, some of the suggestions above are good - asking her friend to come, pinterest board, etc. But don't spend a lot just because you think you'll be judged otherwise if she doesn't care.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Academician Nomad posted:

We're planning an informal after party at a fairly large bar in town. 140 guests, but the large majority won't be going, I'm certain (wedding ends 10:30, so people won't be there till 11 at earliest).

How rude is it to not tell the bar we're coming until about a week before, since we don't want to pay for a private room or anything? If they're too full we can just migrate to other bars within a few blocks.

Do not do this. It is super rude. Make the appropriate reservation and follow the bar’s policies or talk to your hotel about renting a conference room and discreetly BYOB it. Bringing a party large enough to alter staffing needs without the necessary heads up is going to leave the servers overworked and stressed while reducing quality of service for the whole joint and damaging the servers tips. Imagine working your tail off for hours only to be never quite fast enough for anyone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Like if it's just gonna be a dozen people fine, but if you're talking thirty, yeah be considerate.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Is there any possible way to not have a registry? We make plenty of money, have lived together for years, own our house, and feel very uncomfortable accepting money from our friends (weird) and our family (who mostly make less money than we do and will be paying to travel to the wedding already besides). I have heard repeatedly that if we put on our wedding website that we don't want gifts we'll just get random poo poo and/or checks no matter how adamant we are. I'm especially concerned about this happening from the extended family we're obligated to invite, but who we aren't close enough to that they'd actually come.

Currently the best plan we've got is to ask for charitable donations instead, which doesn't feel as weird.

legendof fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 17, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Charitable donations sounds like a good idea to avoid being given random crap, just make it super obvious and easy for people to do. We asked for honeymoon fund donations and people very much gave what they could, but I don't know your friends. Our guests also paid for travel and hotels.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Also depends on your family. We didn't have a registry and then at my wife's bridal shower my mom's family was just showing up with random poo poo that is still in boxes years later. After that we bedgrudgingly threw something together. We got some wedding china but gently caress if I know whose attic it is even in. Charitable donations are the way to go if you need to provide direction, or I'm pretty sure there is a site now that let's people "buy" things off your registry but it just gives you the cash.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We're using the knot's registry which lets you set up cash gifts, but instead of just straight up saying "give us money" we're saying things like "help pay for us being able to afford a bigger house!" or whatever. We have like 6 physical things on there, but really now, my fiance owns her house, she's 34 and I'm turning 40 at the end of the month. There just isn't anything for the home or whatever that we need at this point. I think the charity option is a good route but at least for us we would like the cash since we do want to move into a bigger house sometime next year.

FYI, we looked around at what site to use for a while and there were no great options. They all take a cut, not to mention somewhere around a 3% +$0.30 transaction fee per transaction for electronic processing through stripe or credit cards or whatever. There are some sites out there that were super sketchy, like they made it sound all great but if you look at the fine print and add up all the fees they were taking something like 20% of all funds funneled through their site. Just be careful about it.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

nesbit37 posted:

We're using the knot's registry which lets you set up cash gifts, but instead of just straight up saying "give us money" we're saying things like "help pay for us being able to afford a bigger house!" or whatever. We have like 6 physical things on there, but really now, my fiance owns her house, she's 34 and I'm turning 40 at the end of the month. There just isn't anything for the home or whatever that we need at this point. I think the charity option is a good route but at least for us we would like the cash since we do want to move into a bigger house sometime next year.

FYI, we looked around at what site to use for a while and there were no great options. They all take a cut, not to mention somewhere around a 3% +$0.30 transaction fee per transaction for electronic processing through stripe or credit cards or whatever. There are some sites out there that were super sketchy, like they made it sound all great but if you look at the fine print and add up all the fees they were taking something like 20% of all funds funneled through their site. Just be careful about it.

My fiancé is adamant about this point (processing charges + fees) so I think we may steal a solution from a friend of mine and set up a Zelle account for honeymoon and/or house renovation contributions. Zelle is a payment service that allows free transfers between a lot of major American banks (Wells Fargo, Citibank, U.S. Bank, etc.) Not sure if it’ll work, but it’s worth a try! I think you could do the same with a Paypal or Venmo account, probably.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A lot of the weddings I've been to have two options

1) charitable donation
2) future children's educational/college trust/CD

Some of the online wedding registries have the option to take all the money and combine it into one super gift that you actually want and then remind you later to lie and thank each person for the various little crappy things people got.

We ended up with like $700 cash gifts which went straight towards paying off wedding expenses and $2500 worth of "registry gifts" which is going towards some ridiculous all clad copper core set and maybe some fiesta plates when we move into a bigger place

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

On this note, is there a non assholish way to have a registry but also make it known that as a couple in their 30s we have most of the poo poo we need but cash gifts would go to house down payment?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
People who think cash gifts are tacky are going to think so no matter what, so might as well embrace it. I have a honeymoon cash registry and a charity cash registry, so they have options of where to direct their cash but it's entirely cash.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Taima posted:

It’s been two weeks, please report back!

She said yes and then later broke it off over the pre-nup! Oh well! She is now dating a mutual friend of ours with a net worth in the $20-$30M range so I was never gonna cut it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does anyone have experience with the various Moissanite companies? I know Charles & Colvard recently lost the patent so a bunch of competition has sprouted up but what’s the quality like for these others?

The main worry my fiancée has if she goes with a moissanite is if she gets a stone that has a slight gray or blue tint.