Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

marktheando posted:

Definitely. McCoy gets better every series until you get peak Doctor Who in series 26.

Something that cracks me up is that apparently the actor they originally wanted got nixed by the BBC because he was going to play the Doctor as a darker, more manipulative strategist, and they wanted McCoy who would be friendlier and more clown-like to appeal to kids (watch his pratfalls in Time and the Rani) and then he quickly turns into a darker, more manipulative strategist!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Eagerly awaiting the Big Finish Trodina series. :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh christ, not this ancient and highly flammable chestnut again. And now it's coming to Twitter, of all places. I can't stand it, I'm going off with an unearthly child to join the Tribe of Gum and forget all about it, because there's no TV in 100,000 BC.

Seriously, by far the best thing about NewWho is that people now have other things to argue about besides working titles, UNIT dating, and the precise meaning of "Doctor Who is required".

But the old-school titles can be so prescient! For instance,

is great because it's always true. :smugbert:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Because he had promised to hold a referendum on the Dalek occupation, and

Jerusalem posted:

Something that cracks me up is that apparently the actor they originally wanted got nixed by the BBC because he was going to play the Doctor as a darker, more manipulative strategist, and they wanted McCoy who would be friendlier and more clown-like to appeal to kids (watch his pratfalls in Time and the Rani) and then he quickly turns into a darker, more manipulative strategist!

I don't think I've heard this story before, who was their original choice?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

I don't think I've heard this story before, who was their original choice?

Ken Campbell, though reading up on it I'm unsure if it was the BBC who rejected him or whether Andrew Cartmel himself actually felt his take was too dark and chose to go with McCoy instead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

FreezingInferno posted:

Time And The Rani isn't good but I like it. It's just so much 80's at once that it wraps around to be a treat. Just, Keff McCulloch blasting the hell out of every scene with maximum synthesizer.

The incredibly stupid purple trap spheres that make you fly up to the sky when you walk over a certain point in the desert are wonderful. What a dumb, dumb trap.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Samuel Anderson is back playing Danny for BF's The Twelfth Doctor Chronicles

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-doctor-chronicles-the-twelfth-doctor-volume-01-2132

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I just got to write ‘what are you doing here?’ in my Benny script, and that’s made me very happy. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtG5dK_HaGg

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29053047/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-anorexia-depression-memoir/

drat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy hell, poor bastard. In addition to all the stress of the part, even the "compliment" of being told how good he looked was a double-edged sword because he was severely hurting himself to look that way. I'm really glad he got help.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm also not surprised, given all of that, that he was a bit hostile to the show and community for a while. To him the show would've been tied to that part of his life, and not in a very nice way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which also makes his utter willingness to put that all aside whenever he met a kid fan all the lovelier :3:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Cleretic posted:

I'm also not surprised, given all of that, that he was a bit hostile to the show and community for a while. To him the show would've been tied to that part of his life, and not in a very nice way.

I was actually thinking of this, albeit with different context, yesterday. I have to imagine even returning to a film set post-recovery would be a struggle for any actor who spent the majority of their time acting while under the influence - environment is as much a trigger as anything else. So mad props to the ones who can do it and still have the best years of their career ahead of them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

Samuel Anderson is back playing Danny for BF's The Twelfth Doctor Chronicles

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-doctor-chronicles-the-twelfth-doctor-volume-01-2132

why

like who on earth went you know what this script needs, more danny pink

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

why

like who on earth went you know what this script needs, more danny pink

P.E.?!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
People always seem to be high on The Curse of Fenric, and I don’t know why. We caught the end of it tonight on Pluto, and dear lord. The acting, the effects, the writing? It’s all MST3K insanity. Even having the arc for Ace that it did, it all just seems utterly insane. Going in without context, my wife (who’s seen a fair bit at this point) piped up, “so this is the season they got canceled, right?”

I mean, it’s hard to argue. Season 26 is pretty insane and ends with furries. It’s bad y’all.

—-

Dalek Invasion of Earth was on too. We caught the end, and I finally saw the whole of Susan’s exit scene. It’s set up with Susan discovering that she’s blown out the sole of her shoe in an escape, which leads to the Doctor entering the TARDIS...and locking the door, leading to The Speech. And it’s a good speech! Thing is, then they take off, and Susan is left despondent. Despondent and with one shoe. “Oh, I have dozens of pairs in the ship,” she says. Well, your rear end in a top hat grandfather took your bad shoe, and all your good shoes. Have fun working the land with David, kiddo. NEXT EPISODE

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

People always seem to be high on The Curse of Fenric, and I don’t know why. We caught the end of it tonight on Pluto, and dear lord. The acting, the effects, the writing? It’s all MST3K insanity. Even having the arc for Ace that it did, it all just seems utterly insane. Going in without context, my wife (who’s seen a fair bit at this point) piped up, “so this is the season they got canceled, right?”

I mean, it’s hard to argue. Season 26 is pretty insane and ends with furries. It’s bad y’all.

Yeah, it's garbage. McCoy's darker, more "serious" period is a weird mess with the semi-exception of Remembrance of the Daleks.

Dragonfire, Paradise Towers, the Happiness Patrol...all much preferable to when the show runs darker and becomes totally incoherent. Even Time and the Rani is a step up on Ace's weird, inappropriate romance with a Soviet soldier.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Counterpoint: it's super duper good

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

in no world can Dragonfire be described as better than anything, except maybe if you're comparing it to Delta and the Bannermen

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I mean look, to each their own, but Fenric, Ghost Light and Survival are actually very cool and good. Also making the Doctor into a schemer is an interesting change and I wish we'd had a bit more time to explore it before the axe came down.

Also yeah, McCoy's first season is incredibly uneven - Time and the Rani is a Pip and Jane mess, Paradise Towers is good aside from those overly long shots of cleaner bots driving along while Keff McCulloch hammers at the "orchestra stab" button, Delta is... I mean, it just kind of IS, and aside from introducing Ace, Dragonfire is pretty bad.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dragonfire has Ace and Mel interacting, the Doctor getting baffled by a guard he attempts to baffle with philosophy, and a space tyrant's face melting. Also this scene:

https://nukedroots.tumblr.com/post/96630022607/the-seventh-doctor-most-people-think-of-him-as-a

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like the villains in Dragonfire, which is more than can be said for Paradise Towers. The scripting's there, but my god, Richard Briers is tremendously disappointing. That man was a living legend, an acting powerhouse, and he spends the last part of the story being absolutely loving atrocious.

That said, my favourite thing about Paradise Towers it that McCoy straight up tries to push the villain down an elevator shaft. Beautiful.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

See, the reason I like McCoy's run so much is because it's so insane and often baffling. It's legit some of the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen and I love it, even the bad stuff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like the villains in Dragonfire, which is more than can be said for Paradise Towers. The scripting's there, but my god, Richard Briers is tremendously disappointing. That man was a living legend, an acting powerhouse, and he spends the last part of the story being absolutely loving atrocious.

That said, my favourite thing about Paradise Towers it that McCoy straight up tries to push the villain down an elevator shaft. Beautiful.

Down a shaft and onto a bomb no less.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

See, the reason I like McCoy's run so much is because it's so insane and often baffling. It's legit some of the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen and I love it, even the bad stuff.

I think I love the insane, weird, semi-coherence of it pretty much exclusively when it's not trying to be too serious. Ghost Light and the Curse of Fenric are borderline unwatchable for me, but Time and the Rani at least knows how stupid it is - as opposed to Curse of Fenric, which has the exact tone and cadence of a Garth Merenghi novel, plus a god-awful pedophilic romance plot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I still genuinely love that there's basically zero consensus among Who fans on basically anything. The serial you loathe beyond anything else is pretty much guaranteed to be someone else's favourite.

I mean, except The Twin Dilemma, we're not monsters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paradise Towers will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first ever exposure to Doctor Who as a kid. A man was being chased by a robot on TV during the Boring Hours (ie, after kids TV had ended for the day), so naturally it held my attention. By the time Remembrance rolled around next year, I was a full on Who fan.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Paradise Towers is amazing. The world building is top notch. Bunch of teenaged gangs appropriating weird slogans. BUILD HIGH FOR HAPPINESS.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Android Blues posted:

I think I love the insane, weird, semi-coherence of it pretty much exclusively when it's not trying to be too serious. Ghost Light and the Curse of Fenric are borderline unwatchable for me, but Time and the Rani at least knows how stupid it is - as opposed to Curse of Fenric, which has the exact tone and cadence of a Garth Merenghi novel, plus a god-awful pedophilic romance plot.

I dunno, say what you will about Fenric, but Ghost Light definitely has a sense of humour. Eleanor's "Everyone's always going Java" riff, the Cream of Scotland Yard joke, the survival of the fittest hunter who wants to murder the Queen... the entire thing is basically satire.

It's not as good as Greatest Show, or The Happiness Patrol, but I quite like it.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Paradise Towers is amazing. The world building is top notch. Bunch of teenaged gangs appropriating weird slogans. BUILD HIGH FOR HAPPINESS.

Yellow Kangs is Best. :colbert:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I've never quite understood why Fenric is so popular in relation to Image of the Fendahl. Is it all the WW II trappings that otherwise didn't appear so spot on in classic Who? Fenric's finale always seemed melodramatic and contrived to me where Fendahl's has an ironic justice to it. And I'll take faux Quatermass over faux post-apocolyptic vampires any day. I don't think Fenric is bad, just overrated.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I can see jumping straight into TV from 1989 and finding it shallow, but if you're looking at Fenric compared to anything that came before it, Fenric is light-years beyond what the show had been doing previously. It bothers to have character-based storytelling and arcs (remember when the show forgot that every time Nyssa encountered the Master she was coming face-to-face with her father's body?), it's shot much more dynamically and competently than anything in the past, and it's got several moments that, dated production aside, are still stunning today: the Allies' plan to use the Enigma machine to kill the Soviets after the war, the priest horrified by the thought of British bombs killing German children, the Doctor destroying Ace's faith in him...

In the age of Prestige Television it's not going to hold up as well, and television is a medium that ages particularly poorly. But even with those disclaimers I still think it's one of the best stories the series has ever produced. It's so good that Toby Whithouse ripped it off in like every story he ever wrote, and even with the advantages of time, technology, and a budget larger than 25 pounds he still never made a better episode.

What I'm trying to say is, Fenric is a good episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The seduction scene felt laughably bad even at the time (and worse as a precursor to all the Ace stuff that was apparently put into the books during the Wilderness Years) but I always dug Fenric. Perhaps my favorite part of it is the Doctor walking straight past security and into a hut with the researchers where he promptly writes up fake security papers on their stationary using their typewriter RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY then confidently hands it over to security when they arrive who take it as official documentation :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1173960044276142081?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

War Master Vol 4 is called "Anti-Genesis", so I'm wondering if it's going to be the case of the Master going back to "Genesis of the Daleks"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, interesting. Last time we saw that Master, he was almost being good in the Unbound universe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MerseyMal/status/1173976314661023744?s=20

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/war-master-versus-the-master

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 17, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1173899435157405696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Impressively wrong opinion here

Narsham posted:

I've never quite understood why Fenric is so popular in relation to Image of the Fendahl. Is it all the WW II trappings that otherwise didn't appear so spot on in classic Who? Fenric's finale always seemed melodramatic and contrived to me where Fendahl's has an ironic justice to it. And I'll take faux Quatermass over faux post-apocolyptic vampires any day. I don't think Fenric is bad, just overrated.

It's because of the giant penis

marktheando fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 17, 2019