Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sean Clifford is not Trace McSorley and the sooner this is figured out, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

kayakyakr posted:

I'm curious when this ridiculous buyout trend will end. Bunch of schools stuck with their staffs just because the AD can't negotiate worth crap.

Fuente's buyout this year is $15m, dropping to $12.5m next December. Why? Because Arkansas made him an offer he wasn't interested in.

On a funnier note, VT has hired noted offensive and football mastermind Jerry Kill to try to help fix our woeful rushing O. We can't afford to hire any recruiting staff, but are paying Jerry loving Kill $175k/year for two years.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I literally thought Jerry kill was dead

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kill is a pretty decent coach who absolutely should not be coaching football

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Kill is a pretty decent coach who absolutely should not be coaching football

If he's just a consultant or analyst or something it doesn't seem like a big problem. If even that's too high-stress for him, he's probably not long for this world anyway.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

Sean Clifford is not Trace McSorley and the sooner this is figured out, the better.

I think it's a problem that our offense is built around the RPO scheme, regardless of personnel. RPO only works with a dual threat QB. Clifford is good enough to scramble on broken plays, but we need to adjust our running game and playcalling around a QB that really isn't going to keep a defense honest with his feet. Pitt was really coming after him in the first half, and Rahne never called any plays to get the ball out of his hands faster.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

LLCoolJD posted:

Playoffs:
Oklahoma
Clemson
Ohio State
Georgia/Alabama

Honorable mentions: LSU, Texas

Texas is going to beat OU...twice.

I loving hate the Big XII title game in a 10 team conference, what horseshit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

The Big 12 kinda backed themselves into a corner and had to ask for a championship game after that whole 'one true champion' year where there were like three teams tied or whatever.

Or alternately the real reason, it makes money.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Making it harder for your teams to make the playoff because your mad about being left out of the playoff is some very Bob Bowlsby poo poo

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 16, 2019

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

All of these schools getting owned by massive buyouts is hilarious

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

The Big 12 kinda backed themselves into a corner and had to ask for a championship game after that whole 'one true champion' year where there were like three teams tied or whatever.

K-State and OU were co-champions even though K-State beat them head to head. It was and still is bullshit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sab0921 posted:

Should have added BYU and Colorado State.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never add byu

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

If he's just a consultant or analyst or something it doesn't seem like a big problem. If even that's too high-stress for him, he's probably not long for this world anyway.

Yeah, as long as he isn't a game day coach and is only there to fix specific problems in the run game, it should be fine. Dehydration is a huge issue for him, so as long as his job is basically indoors it won't be a big deal.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Grittybeard posted:

If they were a power conference like the SEC then they would’ve all three played each other in the BCS title game that year.

At the same time.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bob Spoo

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Strobe posted:

K-State and OU were co-champions even though K-State beat them head to head. It was and still is bullshit.

I think he meant the inaugural playoff when TCU and Baylor were co-champs and they both got left out in favor of eventual champs tOSU even though they were all one-loss teams at the end of the season and tOSU objectively had the worst loss. I still think TCU would have had a real shot to win it all that year, if they'd been given the chance.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think he meant the inaugural playoff when TCU and Baylor were co-champs and they both got left out in favor of eventual champs tOSU even though they were all one-loss teams at the end of the season and tOSU objectively had the worst loss. I still think TCU would have had a real shot to win it all that year, if they'd been given the chance.

one more wins than both

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Death to the Big 12 Conference

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Having endured the Muschamp and McElwain tenures at Florida, you have my sympathy. Even though I doubt you have felt the true pain of outright incompetence.

Was Joe Moorhead the secret sauce?

clangas will assure you that joe moorhead is not the secret sauce right about now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I. M. Gei posted:

Death to the Big 12 Conference

Go home, El Penis.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Big 12 may not be a particularly smart organization but they play the most fun to watch football in the game. Points are awesome defense is optional boring.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, they have the best OOC record so far this year:

Big 12: .815
Big Ten: .794
SEC: .758
Pac-12: .688
ACC: .667
AAC: .655
MWC: .645
Sun Belt: .481
C-USA: .459
MAC: .394

(I got bored)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MourningView posted:

Yeah Ohio State is gonna stomp everyone again, it stinks

Yeah :(

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Thermos H Christ posted:

TCU never should have made it. They lost to Baylor who also had 1 loss. Head to head matters.

Baylor was very clearly the actual Big XII champ, but they had try to have it both ways.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dalmuti posted:

clangas will assure you that joe moorhead is not the secret sauce right about now

They seemed fine when Stevens was healthy. And they were pretty good last year, they just had a brutal schedule and he inherited a QB who couldn't pass at all

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In more bad UCLA news:

quote:

There is, of course, one other name of interest on that list. UCLA got smoked by Oklahoma at home on Saturday, falling to 0-3 with a No. 78 SP+ ranking. The Bruins began Chip Kelly's second season in charge with a 38% chance of reaching bowl eligibility and just a 1% chance of bombing out with zero or one win. Now those odds are 3% and 11%, respectively. This is probably not what either the school or Kelly had in mind.

From: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27623475/how-national-title-heisman-conference-races-changed-week-3

These early season ratings seem kind of ultimately irrelevant every year so I don't put a ton into them but it's usually not that brutal.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Sab0921 posted:

TCU never should have made it. They lost to Baylor who also had 1 loss. Head to head matters.

Baylor was very clearly the actual Big XII champ, but they had try to have it both ways.

But it wasn’t a matter of trying to have it both ways, that’s how champions were always determined in traditional round robin tournaments. Split titles were just a thing, historically. And the conference couldn’t very well change the rules and strip a team of their shared conference title contrary to the rules established at the beginning. So anyway, now we have a championship game.

God drat though 2014 TCU was so good, so much better than they had any right to be. Sure they dropped that one game to Baylor by a field goal in one of the most awesome, most Big 12 games ever (61-58!!!) but I mean the Ohio State team that rolled through Oregon and Bama in the playoff had lost to a poo poo Virginia Tech team and been less impressive through most of the season.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
They nearly lost to loving Kansas.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kittenmittons posted:

They nearly lost to loving Kansas.

Kansas can be loving tricky, okay?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

But it wasn’t a matter of trying to have it both ways, that’s how champions were always determined in traditional round robin tournaments. Split titles were just a thing, historically. And the conference couldn’t very well change the rules and strip a team of their shared conference title contrary to the rules established at the beginning. So anyway, now we have a championship game.

God drat though 2014 TCU was so good, so much better than they had any right to be. Sure they dropped that one game to Baylor by a field goal in one of the most awesome, most Big 12 games ever (61-58!!!) but I mean the Ohio State team that rolled through Oregon and Bama in the playoff had lost to a poo poo Virginia Tech team and been less impressive through most of the season.

That Baylor team was awesome too (they won that 61-58 game) and then lost on the road at WVU, which is poo poo that happens when 50,000 drunken hillbillies are screaming at you.

In retrospect, that Baylor team was powered by consequence free sexual assault with the protection of the university admin, so probably good that they were left out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Why do I feel like Tenn is gonna give UF fits this weekend? Is that natural? Are the UF goons feeling the same way?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

Why do I feel like Tenn is gonna give UF fits this weekend? Is that natural? Are the UF goons feeling the same way?

Seems like a logical conclusion given how the season has gone so far.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

That's a little bit revisionist, as the Big 12 intentionally muddied the water after Baylor lost their first game by saying, unsolicited, "well, just so you know, TCU is technically also champ if they both finish 8-1." Yes, it was factually true, but at the same time the head-to-head was always decisive and unquesionted when it came to, say, bowl autobids.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

I mean part of the appeal of round robin is that you have a guaranteed very obvious tiebreaker in this scenario. Wasn't that kind of the whole point of all the smug One True Champion advertising poo poo?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So I've got the UGA games recording on my youtube TV and I've got a strategy:

Check the team they're playing > if I don't recognize them, skip to the 4th quarter and check the score > if UGA is even in danger of losing, watch the game > if not, skip to the end and delete.

College athletics is fuckin' weird, and I don't wanna blow 3 hours watching some nobodies get ruined. Is there some list of actual watchable football games maintained somewhere?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BRB curating a personalized watch list for your unique tastes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

So I've got the UGA games recording on my youtube TV and I've got a strategy:

Check the team they're playing > if I don't recognize them, skip to the 4th quarter and check the score > if UGA is even in danger of losing, watch the game > if not, skip to the end and delete.

College athletics is fuckin' weird, and I don't wanna blow 3 hours watching some nobodies get ruined. Is there some list of actual watchable football games maintained somewhere?

Banner Society's newsletter includes a "grid" email every week where they sort the upcoming games into "Watch this", "Maybe watch", and "It's football".

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Scarf posted:

Florida by 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Y'all need to get on board the Trask Train and that blinding white paint job on it