Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i think the red land is a little better than it looks. not better than the black land, but reasonable. red lands that push damage are historically very good (barbarian ring, ramunap ruins). while this one requires unblocked attackers, which is a substantial handicap, it can repeatedly push through a few points of damage, which is often enough. if any form of RDW exists post-rotation, which is often a safe bet, this land just slots right into it.

red aggro is just trying to count to 20 as fast as possible. getting 1-3 points of damage from a land slot is very, very good.

I'm with the dad. This is a nice mana sink once you've dumped your hand of little aggro nerds that will make favorable trades to slow down their board stabilization and push thru a point here or there. It only costs a land slot. And Ive watched control stabalize and get a stranglehold on the game with 1 or 2 life often enough that I know that's not nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Do any of the food token cards even look playable at this point?

oko looks bonkers

e: to expand on this, a not-insubstantial number of games are going to go:
T1 land, grazer or goose
T2 oko, make a food

Imagine playing into this. Your options are:
1) Play a creature that will immediately be traded for a food. The Oko player now has your dude, a dork, and 3 mana to develop his board.
2) Play something that doesn’t affect the board. The Oko player gets to play a 4-drop plus make a hasty 3/3, and his walker is at 8 loyalty.
3) If you were on the play, murderous rider on Oko. This doesn’t suck but requires you to be on the play, to have it, and to spend your turn 3 losing two life and not developing the board while your opponent untaps with four mana and a mandate to play whatever he wants

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 17, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sickening posted:

Do any of the food token cards even look playable at this point?

Golden Goose? Oko?

I still can't get over what a bad value Scry 2 for 5 mana (4 blue plus tapping the rare land) seems to be. In a situation where you're doing that you have to either have an empty hand with 4 mana already on the board or you're looking for a specific card/counter. If you're in the first position you're probably screwed either way and in the 2nd position I think there's better value out there.

They should've made it Scry 1 for 3 mana.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oko and the goose are good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mossyfisk posted:

So it's like a temple of the false gods you might actually want to play?

Temple of False Gods was very playable in white based control decks of its time. I'd much rather have Temple than this (mostly because I'm not interested in casting giant green creatures).

I guess I want to cast a big Krasis but I'd rather do it in a Golos shell than with this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

axeil posted:

Golden Goose? Oko?

I still can't get over what a bad value Scry 2 for 5 mana (4 blue plus tapping the rare land) seems to be. In a situation where you're doing that you have to either have an empty hand with 4 mana already on the board or you're looking for a specific card/counter. If you're in the first position you're probably screwed either way and in the 2nd position I think there's better value out there.

Why would you need to be empty-handed to use the land? Control decks, generally speaking, don't just play out their cards because they have them, they sit on them until it's the right time to make best use of them.

I mean, yeah, it's mainly the sort of draw-go control style (that Teferi totally shuts down right now) that would leave 5 mana up and then not end up using it. But the opportunity cost on a land is small, and I wouldn't be surprised to see decks playing and making use of it, if not now, then later once teferi isn't causing that sort of deck conniptions.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jabor posted:

Why would you need to be empty-handed to use the land? Control decks, generally speaking, don't just play out their cards because they have them, they sit on them until it's the right time to make best use of them.

I mean, yeah, it's mainly the sort of draw-go control style (that Teferi totally shuts down right now) that would leave 5 mana up and then not end up using it. But the opportunity cost on a land is small, and I wouldn't be surprised to see decks playing and making use of it, if not now, then later once teferi isn't causing that sort of deck conniptions.

Yeah it's T3feri that makes me think this isn't so great. It's risky to rely on draw-go when your opponent could have T3feri in play and hose your whole strategy.

It's not that I think these lands are worthless, they just seem really, really weak and situational at best. Imo, they should've just let them come in untapped no matter what. We probably will see them in play but they'll be a pretty :geno: addition unlike most of the rare lands we saw last Standard which were pretty much mandatory.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Does Garenbrig have to actually be used on something good? If your deck's mono-green it's just free ramp. Please ignore the existence of Field Of Ruin/Blast Zone/etc

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

axeil posted:

Golden Goose? Oko?

If you're playing a deck that has enough islands in it for this to be untapped (not difficult with shocklands) and goes long (any control deck) then there's plenty of times you have a turn off with nothing to use your mana on.

What are the better alternatives right now, given Treasure Map, Search for Azcanta, and Arch of Orazca all rotate. Especially in the land slot?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The downside seems so low that I'd expect any mono or two color deck is going to run at least one copy, but I can also see those being the first rates cut for a budget version of the tire 1 decks.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tainen posted:

I guess it’s ok in the cavalcade decks

i don't know why i would ever activate this in cavalcade

i suppose its got low deckbuilding cost so its almost free to add in but eh

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can activate it after the cavalcade pings have gone off.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A playable wrath that cantrips into a game-ending critter that doesn't die to a second wrath is interesting.

Red (the Skullcrack Adventure 4/3) and green (the GGG legendary) are the only giants that might make that awkward.

Aside from the obvious Teferi-shaped issue of casting a 7-mana idiot that doesn't do anything ETB.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

pretty

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

resistentialism posted:

You can activate it after the cavalcade pings have gone off.

i know, but it's not a deck that's really jonesing for a handful of extra damage from attackers. you're activating this on turn four or later, at which point you probably don't have any attackers that can get through on the ground unless they're sacrificing themselves for the cavalade ping (in which case 1/1 or 2/1 is not a big difference in most cases) or it's the one mana nearly unblockable guy (in which case you're activating this on turn five or later for not a lot of effect since you probably only have one or two of those guys, and you've probably already lost)

it's got nearly no deckbuilding cost so it being useful 5% or less of the time isn't the worst thing in the world but its very rarely gonna do all that much

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Variants

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

axeil posted:

These rare lands seem bad

Black one is maybe playable
Red is helpful with Cavalcade and only Cavalcade
Blue spending that much mana to scry seems like bad value
Green is :laffo:, spending 5 mana to get 6 is horrible. Should've made it spend 3 to get 4 or at least spend 4 to get 5.

I bet White is some sort of horrible 2W, tap to gain 3 life nonsense.

Remember that they cost you almost nothing in deckbuilding if you were going to play basics anyway.

They are all playable, and green seems like the best to me - it's just free mana if you are playing heavy creatures.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

it's got nearly no deckbuilding cost so it being useful 5% or less of the time isn't the worst thing in the world but its very rarely gonna do all that much

They're just boring. Everyone stop debating whether they're good. They're all good enough to be 1- or 2-ofs and also super duper boring.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Huxley posted:

They're just boring. Everyone stop debating whether they're good. They're all good enough to be 1- or 2-ofs and also super duper boring.

Less boring than basics :shrug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

if you're playing a monocolor standard deck you probably play more than 2 of them since the deckbuilding cost for an et untapped land that taps for colored mana is so low. Also I think there's a world where you play one copy of the Black one in Jund or Legacy Lands or 4c Loam or something

also this green one basically lets you cast primeval titan for 5 mana, that might be worth something

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

They replace the most boring card in your deck with something that is interesting, that's the opposite of boring. I'd rather see these than another dipshit tribal enabler for a tier 3 deck.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Elyv posted:

also this green one basically lets you cast primeval titan for 5 mana, that might be worth something

I kind of love the idea of "extreme backup Breach"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're boring rares, I mean. They do more than basics, but not enough more to be exciting.

Basics are boring, but at least have the decency to be free.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Spell lands have to be "boring" or they otherwise end up completely broken and absurd

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Normal art is pretty good too

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The black and red lands are so much stronger than the other ones lmao

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Someone with more time than me should make a website for goons that lets them rate cards from 1-10 that locks before prerelease weekend because I bet every set would be 1-2 cards with 9 ratings and every other card a 1-3 rating

They use a google sheet in the hearthstone thread, it's pretty interesting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My playground is very split on these. Half of us (me included) think they look really cool. The other half want them banned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

My playground is very split on these. Half of us (me included) think they look really cool. The other half want them banned.

Banned? Really, now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Now I'm curious, what would be on the top of people's lists for lovely art frames to ban?

FWIW on the ones in this set, I'm in camp "they look nice"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

InterrupterJones posted:

Now I'm curious, what would be on the top of people's lists for lovely art frames to ban?

Invocations

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Barely-readable foreign-ized lookalike characters are off-putting even if they look good, which they don't in the ahmonket ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ban all the normal frame cards

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
At least they didn't change the card font like they did for Amonket invocations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Someone with more time than me should make a website for goons that lets them rate cards from 1-10 that locks before prerelease weekend because I bet every set would be 1-2 cards with 9 ratings and every other card a 1-3 rating

If we do this, which we should because it sounds fun, it might as well be just for the rares and mythics since most commons will likely not be used in Standard. Could even do a binary of will/won't see Standard play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen a second set so obviously telelgraphed before. If they didn't come out and say Return to Theros was the next set, I would've known just from how hard mono-color is pushed in this set. No rare duals, adamant, quad hybrid creatures, etc. I have a feeling the green Castle is way better than it looks just because Theros 2 cards are going to reward you for having six green mana to pay for a creature or creature ability.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Ban all the normal frame cards
Return to printing process and cardface used in 1997.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The black land is so punishing. It's bonkers if you're hellbent but it's a pretty steep cost after that. I think the green one is deceptively good just as an Ancient Tomb for fatties. I mean, in the right deck it's a zero mana ramp spell right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The black land is so punishing. It's bonkers if you're hellbent but it's a pretty steep cost after that. I think the green one is deceptively good just as an Ancient Tomb for fatties. I mean, in the right deck it's a zero mana ramp spell right?

Is it really that punishing? You have how many cards in your hand on average when you have enough mana to activate it? Seems like paying 3 or less life to draw a card isn't really that far out of line for decks that can run the land.