Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1173963773444546561

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TulliusCicero posted:

Stuff like this makes me laugh hysterically when Republicans try to tell us that actually Europe is jealous of our great healthcare system!

Lmao

I know, and I laughcry every time.

OwlFancier posted:

Is the company called DocWagon?

I don't think so, or at least not then, but I'm not surprised there's probably lots of them operating in rural areas. I grew up in east jesus in the middlin' south.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TulliusCicero posted:

Stuff like this makes me laugh hysterically when Republicans try to tell us that actually Europe is jealous of our great healthcare system!

Lmao

The Tories sometimes try the same poo poo in the UK too.

Look at the long waiting times and how you can't get unproven treatment even if you really want to!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

My brother is moving to Dallas shortly to be with his wife. She earns $60k, he won't be able to work. He's thrilled about it because in UK money that would be megabucks and he thinks he'll be a kept man until he can find work, but I don't think he really grasps how lovely the healthcare is there, or how expensive city living can be. I really worry because he's overweight and doesn't exercise and one illness could gently caress them both

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Enjoy your dependency on overprescribed, unnecessary medications that cost $2000 a pop too.

Anyone who says the US system is better needs a full assessment by a psychiatrist.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wachter posted:

My brother is moving to Dallas shortly to be with his wife. She earns $60k, he won't be able to work. He's thrilled about it because in UK money that would be megabucks and he thinks he'll be a kept man until he can find work, but I don't think he really grasps how lovely the healthcare is there, or how expensive city living can be. I really worry because he's overweight and doesn't exercise and one illness could gently caress them both

Especially because food in his view is likely to be super cheap, and thus more reasonably available in quantity; if he's already struggling with it....

If she has a reasonable insurance plan from work (I know), $60k is totally reasonable with a proper set of expectations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It probably works out to the same cost of doing a medical degree and operating on yourself under local anaesthesia.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Diet Crack posted:

Enjoy your dependency on overprescribed, unnecessary medications that cost $2000 a pop too.

Anyone who says the US system is better needs a full assessment by a psychiatrist.

you forget america runs on spite, plenty of americans like the fact that poor people die under the american system

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

I don't think so, or at least not then, but I'm not surprised there's probably lots of them operating in rural areas. I grew up in east jesus in the middlin' south.

I was joking because that's basically how the ambulance service operates in Shadowrun except they also offer the option of coming heavily armed.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Wachter posted:

easiest way to figure out how good/bad a particular income is across developed-world borders is to look at percentiles. it's particularly easy in this case because the median household income in the US is $60k, while the median household income in the UK is £29k.

there are other ways to do it - like via ppp and mean income - and there the US comes out looking spectaculartw: adam smith institute, fraser nelson

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 17, 2019

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
I’m from the Uk but live in the US. My company provides an insurance plan that is so generous it makes doctors double check. No co pay, no minimum out of pocket, full coverage for my direct family. We’re told that if we find ourselves paying for anything they’ll find a way to cover it. It is for the us an insanely comprehensive policy. US health care still sucks and I miss the NHS dearly. Anyone wanting this style of healthcare is insane.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
OK the abomination that is the US healthcare system is a big one, but on the flip side, isn't property generally a lot cheaper over there, due to the amount of space they have? I've certainly been led to believe this is the case. Consumer goods seem generally cheaper too, with the price figure being the same in dollars there as it is in pounds here.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

OK the abomination that is the US healthcare system is a big one, but on the flip side, isn't property generally a lot cheaper over there, due to the amount of space they have? I've certainly been led to believe this is the case. Consumer goods seem generally cheaper too, with the price figure being the same in dollars there as it is in pounds here.

It's not cheaper anywhere where people actually want to live

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

mediaphage posted:

Especially because food in his view is likely to be super cheap, and thus more reasonably available in quantity; if he's already struggling with it....

If she has a reasonable insurance plan from work (I know), $60k is totally reasonable with a proper set of expectations.

coffeetable posted:

easiest way to figure out how good/bad a particular income is across developed-world borders is to look at percentiles. it's particularly easy in this case because the median household income in the US is $60k, while the median household income in the UK is £29k.

there are other ways to do it - like via ppp - and there the US comes out looking spectaculartw: adam smith institute, fraser nelson

Thanks both, that puts my mind at rest some

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Apparently UKIP's own leader isn't attending their conference because their NEC won't let him pick two people that have been found guilty of misconduct as his deputy and chairman

Lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

American healthcare is the epitome combination of gently caress you got mine and not thinking ahead.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Andrast posted:

It's not cheaper anywhere where people actually want to live

also

VATs are lower, and prices are lower tho (when i was visiting home i bought a new iphone there cause it saved me like £100~200 vs buying it in the UK)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Andrast posted:

It's not cheaper anywhere where people want to actually live

I have relatives who live in Potomac, in a very posh area. Like, their road and the surrounding ones are littered with gigantic mansions. Their house, while on the smaller side for the area, is still big. They hinted at the cost to me recently, and it was a similar price to my house, which is a similar size to theirs but situated in a tiny village near Dunstable, which is a shithole. While my village itself is not a shithole and is in a pretty environment, it's a long way from the desirability of the area of Potomac they live in, or nearish-to-me expensive towns with posher postcodes like Harpenden and St Albans, where the value of my house would get you something a lot smaller and less nice than mine.

I dunno, I'm sure it's more complex than that, but generally larger sized houses seem to be much more achievable on much less income for Americans.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Diet Crack posted:

That will be $100k please.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would you want to live in one of those stupid mansions though? They drop to bits at the slightest provokation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not even sure how I'd spend $50k a year. Buy additional houses and then rent them out and then hire people to beat me with sticks for being a landlord? Arm the peasants and workers? Buy a surplus T-54? Buy a farm? Own the means of cocaine production?

(This is assuming $50k here and not $50k and you also spend $30k on various types of insurance and anyone on less than you just dies)

It's "only" £40k. So the modern way to spend it is just buy a house that's more expensive than you need. You could easily be spending more than half that on the mortgage of a £500k house for the next 25 years. Add in £9k between income tax & NI. Throw on top council tax & water, electricity, a phone contract, transport costs be that bus, train or car, and then the essentials like food and suddenly it doesn't actually seem much.

£40k is obviously a lot of money, but because of the loving lunacy of the housing market it really doesn't go as far as it should. And clearly your money will go further in some areas than in places with the "right" postcode. £200.000 is going to go a lot further in Glasgow than it is in London (just went on Rightmove & for £190k you can get a boat with a transferable mooring in Limehouse. Of course you've still got to pay £10k a year for that mooring and good luck getting a mortgage on a loving boat).

Of course a lot of these problems could be solved by bursting the property bubble by building huge numbers of affordable homes and rejigging the national economy to make it less centralised on one city, but that involves government intervention in the economy and that is always bad I'm told.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
one of the best ways to judge how good life is in a country is to just ask

ofc you can say 'well a lot of that's just zeitgeist, americans are fundamentally cheerier than brits'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I was joking because that's basically how the ambulance service operates in Shadowrun except they also offer the option of coming heavily armed.

That's embarrassing and I can't believe I didn't catch it.

As to cost of property, etc. Yes. Absolutely most property in the US is cheaper than the UK in many ways (while city prices will be the same or more as cities are regions unto themselves). As mentioned above there's just a poo poo-ton of space. If you don't mind living on the edge of a town, or in a suburb of a major metro area (where possible)...even in Dallas I just checked the listings and found several 2-bedroom rentals for under $1000 per month. That's still a significant cost, but manageable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

coffeetable posted:

No it's not

People aren't experts on how good their life is, in fact they're notoriously bad at making such judgements because it's driven by exposure to people living worse/better than them (either locally or through news media or TV) which varies wildly

A starving person self-reporting their own unrivaled happiness is not a vindication of government policy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the issues with self reporting happiness is that anyone capable of believing they are perennially unhappy is also at risk of self selecting out of the survey pool owing to being dead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Does anyone have any advice for flat hunting in London? I'm due to be moving down the first week of November so I've been looking at Rightmove and all the rest of it. Found a really nice little studio within my budget in an area I've been told is decent, right next to a tube station - perfect! Only I called the lettings agent and they were all 'November! Ha! Landlord won't be waiting that long my friend!'. That's like what, a month and a half? I know the London rental market is exploitative and apathetic as gently caress, but jesus am I supposed to find a flat, get all the paperwork sorted, get the lease signed, and move in within the space of like a week? Is it more reasonable to maybe start calling places at the start of October? In past experience the process of calling the landlord to moving in has taken at least a few weeks minimum. This is a loving headache I cba with while I'm trying to finish my bloody thesis.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for flat hunting in London? I'm due to be moving down the first week of November so I've been looking at Rightmove and all the rest of it. Found a really nice little studio within my budget in an area I've been told is decent, right next to a tube station - perfect! Only I called the lettings agent and they were all 'November! Ha! Landlord won't be waiting that long my friend!'. That's like what, a month and a half? I know the London rental market is exploitative and apathetic as gently caress, but jesus am I supposed to find a flat, get all the paperwork sorted, get the lease signed, and move in within the space of like a week? Is it more reasonable to maybe start calling places at the start of October? This is a loving headache I cba with while I'm trying to finish my bloody thesis.

It's always depended for me, but I've definitely given dates further than when the flat opens up and it's been ok. Might just be a poo poo agent. Do you mind me asking what area you're looking in? If it's north-west I might be able to point you at some decent ones. I'd say keep looking until you fork over cash because it is a pretty volatile market and something perfect might come up tomorrow, who knows.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm very happy just moments after I finish work but right now I'm as miserable as a Ukrainian

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hear houses in Detroit are going pretty cheap......

.... if you want to live in a house that is falling apart in a suburb that is falling apart, in a city that is falling apart. And to think it was the motoring hub of the continental United States for so long.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

coffeetable posted:

ofc you can say 'well a lot of that's just zeitgeist, americans are fundamentally cheerier than brits'

Money can't buy happiness, but having more of it sure is strongly correlated with increased life satisfaction

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThomasPaine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for flat hunting in London? I'm due to be moving down the first week of November so I've been looking at Rightmove and all the rest of it. Found a really nice little studio within my budget in an area I've been told is decent, right next to a tube station - perfect! Only I called the lettings agent and they were all 'November! Ha! Landlord won't be waiting that long my friend!'. That's like what, a month and a half? I know the London rental market is exploitative and apathetic as gently caress, but jesus am I supposed to find a flat, get all the paperwork sorted, get the lease signed, and move in within the space of like a week? Is it more reasonable to maybe start calling places at the start of October? In past experience the process of calling the landlord to moving in has taken at least a few weeks minimum. This is a loving headache I cba with while I'm trying to finish my bloody thesis.

depending on where in london poo poo can move FAST. like an apartment will be listed, seen, and an offer made within a few days. especially in the fall which is peak moving time (though november is perhaps a bit better). current place we found online, vieweed, and made an offer in like two days (move-in date was about two months from when it was listed so we're not there yet lol). but you should be looking for places where the move-in date is in november, if you look too early the landlord wont want to not earn rent for a month and a half waiting for you to show up.

the "nice" thing is that a lot of agencies will list all of their properties on websites like zooply or whatever its called so you can just pick a region of london and give a price range and troll every few days seeing if anything looks good.

oh also agency fees and so forth are illegal now so if someone tells you you have to pay move-in fees or agenccy fees or something its a scam

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I enjoy looking in the DIY threads here because they're always heavily US-based (understandably), but the things that they make their houses out of make me :eyepop:

Especially US houses that weren't built very recently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

It's "only" £40k. So the modern way to spend it is just buy a house that's more expensive than you need. You could easily be spending more than half that on the mortgage of a £500k house for the next 25 years. Add in £9k between income tax & NI. Throw on top council tax & water, electricity, a phone contract, transport costs be that bus, train or car, and then the essentials like food and suddenly it doesn't actually seem much.

£40k is obviously a lot of money, but because of the loving lunacy of the housing market it really doesn't go as far as it should. And clearly your money will go further in some areas than in places with the "right" postcode. £200.000 is going to go a lot further in Glasgow than it is in London (just went on Rightmove & for £190k you can get a boat with a transferable mooring in Limehouse. Of course you've still got to pay £10k a year for that mooring and good luck getting a mortgage on a loving boat).

Of course a lot of these problems could be solved by bursting the property bubble by building huge numbers of affordable homes and rejigging the national economy to make it less centralised on one city, but that involves government intervention in the economy and that is always bad I'm told.
Yeah people keep saying I could make more money if I worked in [large city place] but like once the costs of actually living there or commuting for hours every day are factored in there's often not that much in it.

Maybe if I placed less value on my health or personal time, which I guess is the underlying implication of a lot of poo poo in late capitalism but lol gently caress that.

Also the housing bubble needs popping immediately but whoever does it as a deliberate measure will be found mysteriously dead from Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Hungary loves to listen to Gloomy Sunday on repeat.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

It's always depended for me, but I've definitely given dates further than when the flat opens up and it's been ok. Might just be a poo poo agent. Do you mind me asking what area you're looking in? If it's north-west I might be able to point you at some decent ones. I'd say keep looking until you fork over cash because it is a pretty volatile market and something perfect might come up tomorrow, who knows.

It was clapham fwiw. I don't really know London outside of the tourist bits so I'm not particularly set on any particular bit. As long as it's not a totally stabby area, has a few decent bars/restaurants, and good transport links to the centre I'm good. (Being on the night tube would be a huge bonus too but it's hardly a deal breaker)

bump_fn posted:

depending on where in london poo poo can move FAST. like an apartment will be listed, seen, and an offer made within a few days. especially in the fall which is peak moving time (though november is perhaps a bit better). current place we found online, vieweed, and made an offer in like two days (move-in date was about two months from when it was listed so we're not there yet lol). but you should be looking for places where the move-in date is in november, if you look too early the landlord wont want to not earn rent for a month and a half waiting for you to show up.

the "nice" thing is that a lot of agencies will list all of their properties on websites like zooply or whatever its called so you can just pick a region of london and give a price range and troll every few days seeing if anything looks good.

oh also agency fees and so forth are illegal now so if someone tells you you have to pay move-in fees or agenccy fees or something its a scam

Cheers I'll give this a try. It's kind of extra infuriating because I live in Glasgow currently so it's not exactly easy to make viewings. I think I'm probably going to have to take a gamble and just make an offer keeping my fingers crossed it's not an absolute damp ridden hell flat.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao

It gets better worse: https://www.consumerreports.org/medical-transportation/air-ambulances-taking-patients-for-a-ride/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

No it's not

People aren't experts on how good their life is, in fact they're notoriously bad at making such judgements because it's driven by exposure to people living worse/better than them (either locally or through news media or TV) which varies wildly

A starving person self-reporting their own unrivaled happiness is not a vindication of government policy

This is a very good point, much as I defend the NHS it's really underfunded compared with most EU countries, yet still scores among the highest in patient satisfaction. Despite having the single worst patient outcomes, to boot.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThomasPaine posted:

It was clapham fwiw. I don't really know London outside of the tourist bits so I'm not particularly set on any particular bit. As long as it's not a totally stabby area, has a few decent bars/restaurants, and good transport links to the centre I'm good. (Being on the night tube would be a huge bonus too but it's hardly a deal breaker)

do you know where you're working because being on a helpful tube/bus line is maybe the most important bit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

I enjoy looking in the DIY threads here because they're always heavily US-based (understandably), but the things that they make their houses out of make me :eyepop:

Especially US houses that weren't built very recently.

My nan used to live in the last remnants of an old row of mining terrace, when we were trying to make it habitable I ended up finding what looked for all the world like wattle and daub behind the wall cladding :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

bump_fn posted:

do you know where you're working because being on a helpful tube/bus line is maybe the most important bit

Kensington. I don't mind a commute though so as long as I'm relatively close to any tube line and can get in within maybe 30-40mins I'm cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThomasPaine posted:

Kensington. I don't mind a commute though so as long as I'm relatively close to any tube line and can get in within maybe 30-40mins I'm cool.

clapham to kensington is tricky cause there isnt a direct tube line, you'd have to take the train into the center on northern and then back out on district (or there are some buses but they can be slow cause its a dense and lovely traffic area). plkaces along district line arent gonna be as cool as clapham but will make your life easier id imagine.

you can also cycle like me if you dont mind the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes every day frimo breathing