Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Parked near an AEV Prospector XL yesterday and it made the Raptor look small.

It's a sign that you require a Megacab offroad, DJCommie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tremek posted:

AEV Prospector XL
My god man...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

*Awesome, Epic trip pictures*

And now I wanna go back again.....
You absolutely need to go back out to the outback!

Also, I'm in Aus now for the foreseeable future, in "regional" NSW (Armidale). Next time you're headed for anywhere within 500 km of me (seriously, 1000km round trip weekends are things we've already done more than once this year), I'd love to get together and pick your brain about outback trips. If nothing else, it will be a chance for you to tell a silly Canuck what kind of proper 4WD to shop for. The closest we've yet got to the outback is the Black Stump, near Coolah, NSW.

Ferremit posted:

The absolutely fantastic thing bout the Hay River track is it goes through Indigenous lands, so you have to buy a permit off the traditional owners to traverse it. Permit is $200 per vehicle, so it keeps the spanners and fuckwits off the track so unlike the main simpson desert, its not totally trashed by genital warts posing as humans.

This is excellent. Question: what's the procedure for buying the permit? Do you phone somebody, or show up at a particular place? Or can you buy a bunch of permits at once for several different areas you want to go through from some central organisation?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

bird with big dick posted:

I bought an 08 FJ with the offroad package in 2007. I think I paid 28 grand. Had it for five years and got 24,500 for trade in IIRC. Had real low miles on it tbf.

Wanted to keep it but I moved and took a job with a massive commute and I didn't want to put a million miles on it.

e: here she is right after I moved to AK

Juneau? Looks like Douglas in the background.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SyHopeful posted:

Juneau? Looks like Douglas in the background.

Yep yep

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Well, I'm back in California for the long weekend, going to pick up a rental Jeep wrangler tomorrow at the airport and spend the weekend up in Big Bear Lake and its trails over the next few days. Not sure if I'll be running anything major in a stock rental, should be interesting. Probably have an H1, a Colorado ZR2 and a Tacoma in the mix.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Took out the GX for a little shakedown. Glad I did. The lift feels good but the shock bolt that runs through the top mount rattles on the body and is annoying as poo poo. The winch runs well. Just waiting on wheels and sliders from Relations who’s having some supplier issues. Whatever. Looking forward to hitting an actual trail soon, haven’t been wheeling since I was a kid in a 94 Nissan.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

IOwnCalculus posted:

How much has it helped? It's a tempting thought here in AZ as well.

It never leaves the property, and I definitely used to clean the DG dust out of the filter housing all the time. Haven't in a long time now, though I should get one of those little dust drains. I think I'm going to change from a normal snorkel inlet to a pre-filter bowl when I go out in dusty places, and just run the original snorkel intake in winter or on the road.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ExecuDork posted:

You absolutely need to go back out to the outback!

Also, I'm in Aus now for the foreseeable future, in "regional" NSW (Armidale). Next time you're headed for anywhere within 500 km of me (seriously, 1000km round trip weekends are things we've already done more than once this year), I'd love to get together and pick your brain about outback trips. If nothing else, it will be a chance for you to tell a silly Canuck what kind of proper 4WD to shop for. The closest we've yet got to the outback is the Black Stump, near Coolah, NSW.

This is excellent. Question: what's the procedure for buying the permit? Do you phone somebody, or show up at a particular place? Or can you buy a bunch of permits at once for several different areas you want to go through from some central organisation?

It depends on the area- the area around Alice springs is all under the broad umbrella of the Central Lands Council- that’s just a case of emailing in your details and what you want to do and if they approve of it they’ll send your permit out for you. Things like the hay river track which go through a certain communities lands you apply for them directly through them- Anne Bedell Highway for example you need 4 permits- 3 aboriginal lands, one department of defence for Woomera and that’s just a case of ringing and getting them issued.

Honestly though some of the best info out there on the subject of permits are the Hema Maps- they’ve got them pretty much all worked out and marked out with contact information

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks! Picked up a HEMA map book a while ago, stopped paying much attention to it after we realized it didn't show some of the roads around Nowendoc area. Protip: Nowendoc petrol station is not well signed from outside of town, but it's open decent hours.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Out? Check.

Dirty? Check.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got around to editing some photos today. I took a 4WD training course in May, run through the university where I work. Vehicle Maintenance Services, VMS, is responsible for every university-owned vehicle and likes it when the people who rent ("hire" in :australia:) their 4WD vehicles know a bit about the vehicles. There's a mandatory on-line video/test procedure you have to complete before renting anything with 4WD, and they subsidise the practical training offered by the state government by letting us borrow the vehicles for free for the 2-day course.

After a morning of a different instructional video and more discussion of the basics of driving a ute or SUV on soft roads and off road, the 7 students got into our three vehicles and headed to a local disused sand quarry. VMS has instituted a policy of rationalising their fleet, with all new and replacement vehicles to be diesel and with automatic transmissions. Cost is obviously a factor and I guess Isuzu offers the best deals for this category of vehicles because we had a pair of MU-X and a D-MAX; these two are identical from about the B-pillar forward, with the main difference being the rear suspension, which is considerably beefier in the ute under the assumption it's use will include heavier items back there than the suitcases-and-dogs the SUV is likely to see. Being university vehicles, these trucklets are going to typically get loaded to the gills with coolers and boxes full of random scientific crap, most of which is going to be quite light weight but there will also be the occasional big motorised thing, like an auger or a pump or a boat motor.

Before we hit the dirt, we put the cars up on the lift at VMS to see the ground clearance, drivetrains, and suspension, along with seeing what the bash plates cover and don't cover.
4WD Training 002 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

On to the driving! I spent most of my time behind the wheel in the D-MAX, seen here about to climb as high as it can up that steep wall in front of it. We got impressively high.
4WD Training 003 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

After practicing slopes into and out of the quarry pit, we practiced smaller, steeper slopes and things like ruts and uneven ground around the rim. I also practiced taking crappy overblown photos.
4WD Training 016 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The old sand quarry was quite lovely in the afternoon sunlight. It felt very Australian to this expat Canadian. All of us in the course were from elsewhere, mostly south Asia, and I was the only one with any previous 4WD experience (mostly getting a big white F150 stuck in peatlands in Alberta, see upthread).
4WD Training 005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The next day we practiced driving on rocks and trails at Mount Duval, a university-owned patch of primary forest not far from campus.
4WD Training 007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Opinions vary on the aesthetic merits of curves vs. straight lines in vehicle design. I came down on the side of curves by coming down hard on a large rock as we were coming down the mountain.
4WD Training 008 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Running boards are stupid on off-road vehicles anyway.

Lunch and winch practice in the sheep paddocks at the bottom of the hill.
4WD Training 009 by Martin Brummell, on Flickrj

Normally, the course would include some water-crossing and dealing with mud. We're in a drought and water is in short supply, so we found a big dry sandbar in the middle of a small, dry river. We took turns being the puller and the pullee of a deliberately-stuck vehicle in the sand, using dynamic snatch straps (and lots of happy yelling).
4WD Training 011 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Here's me succeeding on the second try at getting up one of the steeper slopes around the rim of the quarry.
Up the Slope by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like fun!

Started putting together video. Got this timelapse that will hopefully eventually render in something above 360p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGlsgivfcA

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I got around to editing some photos today. I took a 4WD training course in May, run through the university where I work.

Nice. I've typically always had an old boxy 'zu in the driveway, but always wondered how it might be too drive the newer models available elsewhere.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Drive a Colorado, a DMax is the same truck with different engines.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks like fun!

Started putting together video. Got this timelapse that will hopefully eventually render in something above 360p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGlsgivfcA

Cool idea, I went out and made one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7l174Zm0I

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Drive a Colorado, a DMax is the same truck with different engines.

True, but the majority of the appeal would be in those sweet diesels that aren't available here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Paulie posted:

True, but the majority of the appeal would be in those sweet diesels that aren't available here.

Pretty sure the 2.8 Duramax diesel is available worldwide in the Colorado.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Pretty sure the 2.8 Duramax diesel is available worldwide in the Colorado.

As of a few years ago, but there were 30 years of development between the old mechanical 2.2 C223/T, the last factory diesel in the US light trucks, and that duramax hitting the streets. Anyway I'm just saying it looks pretty fun and I like seeing the non-US spec Isuzus (Mu-x, etc) out getting dirty.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Paulie posted:

As of a few years ago, but there were 30 years of development between the old mechanical 2.2 C223/T, the last factory diesel in the US light trucks, and that duramax hitting the streets. Anyway I'm just saying it looks pretty fun and I like seeing the non-US spec Isuzus (Mu-x, etc) out getting dirty.
I'll keep you in mind and try to get some vids and pics of whatever other light-off-roading we get up to. My colleague, who I've been helping with her fieldwork lately, always ends up with either a MUX or a D-MAX and she's basically terrified of anything hinting at off-road. She's from southern Sweden and while she's a fine driver, she has zero confidence in either herself or the vehicle on things like slightly-rutted or mildly-eroded gravel tracks on the large commercial farm where her field sites are. She'll stop and stare at the track ahead (not a bad idea!), then ask me if I think we'll be OK. It's dry, it's a clear sunny day, and the slope is down a metre and a half at an angle of like 5%. So I say "Yes" and down we go, with her apologising for every lump and bump. It's entertaining.

The diesel motor in our Isuzus seem rather unnoticeable. It's easy to forget it's not a petrol (guzzoline) engine unless you really listen to it. Even crawling up and down Mt. Duval (which is a medium-sized hill, not an actual mountain) the motor was pretty unobtrusive.

What are people using to make those time-lapse videos? I've got a GoPro that lasts about 2 hours on battery, and a cheap dashcam that might last longer and take worse pictures.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 18, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got a Street Guardian dash cam. It takes regular video, I just edited it to speed it up in OpenShot video editor.

You can set up a GoPro to do time lapse natively. They can also run off power if you plug it into your cigarette lighter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, same here - using a dashcam (currently, Aukey DR02) filming 4K at 24FPS. I used to use MS Hyperlapse to both smooth and timelapse the video but it's lovely software that can't do any scaling that doesn't gently caress with aspect ratios, and the DR02's mount is stable enough that smoothing the video would probably just make it worse. So now I just use Shotcut.

I've got a Samsung 360 degree camera as well, I'm tempted to find a way to mount that up top on the Jeep somehow. I don't know how well it would tolerate massive amounts of dust.

For comparison, the footage it spits out at regular speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EiUYtyu_Wc

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 18, 2019

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Took a day trip thru SE Washington today. This is Table Rock.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ExecuDork posted:

What are people using to make those time-lapse videos? I've got a GoPro that lasts about 2 hours on battery, and a cheap dashcam that might last longer and take worse pictures.

I’ve got a Hero7 Black and just this weekend played with the ‘time warp’ stabilized time lapse video and it is amazing. I haven’t tried it up until then and I’ve had it for a year now. Battery lasted plenty long for what I needed to do. You can plug it into an external power source as well to keep it charged up and going assuming it doesn’t get too hot.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Hilux goes well, toughest track I've taken it up, had to winch up one steep/rutted/clay step section, open diffs didn't quite do it. and also out of a clay bog because I am stupid.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

chrisgt posted:

Now I just need to get out and get dirty.

Hey Sequoia buddy. I've got an 05 that's stock but air ride suspension is starting to act up. The plan is to rip it out and replace the springs and shocks with OME stuff.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Trampus posted:

Hey Sequoia buddy. I've got an 05 that's stock but air ride suspension is starting to act up. The plan is to rip it out and replace the springs and shocks with OME stuff.

Have you read chrisgt's thread? Pretty cool poo poo. It's not all Maserati and 6x6's, he addresses the Sequoia's worn suspension here.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

madeintaipei posted:

Have you read chrisgt's thread? Pretty cool poo poo. It's not all Maserati and 6x6's, he addresses the Sequoia's worn suspension here.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Luckily mine is an Arizona truck so there's barely a speck of rust on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of Arizona,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that chicken point?

Fun place, if so!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Broken Arrow trail, which leads there, but this was just past the entrance to the trail. And yeah, it was a shitload of fun. Did that, Soldier's Pass, and Schnebly Hill Road.

My friend's JK was making some disconcerting popping sounds by the end of it all but they were just random enough that we couldn't quite isolate where from.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat later in the trail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5sWy5Qx3M

Earlier, on Soldier's Pass near the Seven Pools:

Submarine Rock on Broken Arrow:

Same location as the video above:

He took the alternate path up:

Coming down Devil's Staircase, much to my wife's great chagrin:

This was vastly easier in the TJ than it would have been in the WJ - between the smaller overhangs and the manual transmission. In first / 4LO, I was hardly even on the brake, it just kept on crawling downhill at a reasonable pace.

Schnebly Hill Road - which honestly kinda sucks as a trail but the views are loving phenomenal:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 10, 2019

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I’m currently visiting Australia. Holy poo poo the number of 4x4s with snorkels is staggering. Back in Arizona I see tons of built up Jeeps but snorkels are fairly rare.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Schnebly Hill Road - which honestly kinda sucks as a trail but the views are loving phenomenal:

I've started Schnebly Hill Road twice but the family always complains so much that I always turn around a few miles in. Next time I'm leaving the complainers at home. Not to invite myself but .... I'd love to tag along the next time you do something a Sequoia with upgraded suspension can do.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I’m currently visiting Australia. Holy poo poo the number of 4x4s with snorkels is staggering. Back in Arizona I see tons of built up Jeeps but snorkels are fairly rare.

From what I've seen, there aren't many trails with water crossing in Arizona where you'd need a snorkel. Not that most people with them ever need to use them.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

When I was visiting/working around Perth a few years back I just assumed that literally every vehicle came with an ARB bull bar and a snorkel from the factory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trampus posted:

From what I've seen, there aren't many trails with water crossing in Arizona where you'd need a snorkel. Not that most people with them ever need to use them.

There really aren't. The deepest crossings I can think of are impassible due to water flow long before you'd need a snorkel; there aren't any I know of where there's a deep crossing where the water is still. I've heard they can reduce the amount of dust your engine is sucking in.

Trampus posted:

I've started Schnebly Hill Road twice but the family always complains so much that I always turn around a few miles in. Next time I'm leaving the complainers at home. Not to invite myself but .... I'd love to tag along the next time you do something a Sequoia with upgraded suspension can do.

If you want to maximize views and minimize complaints, start from I17. The road is smoother and the best pullouts are in the range of halfway to slightly closer to I17. Then at least you have the choice to turn around and stick with the smoother road, or keep going because turning around to go anywhere else is a very long side trip.

Of course, for the biggest bumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpaiq5IT8

Where in AZ are you based out of? This is the first time I've done any Sedona trails because my dad gave me a hotel room up there, so unlike my friend in the JK, I didn't have to drive to/from Phoenix all on the same day.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want to maximize views and minimize complaints, start from I17. The road is smoother and the best pullouts are in the range of halfway to slightly closer to I17. Then at least you have the choice to turn around and stick with the smoother road, or keep going because turning around to go anywhere else is a very long side trip.

Of course, for the biggest bumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpaiq5IT8

Where in AZ are you based out of? This is the first time I've done any Sedona trails because my dad gave me a hotel room up there, so unlike my friend in the JK, I didn't have to drive to/from Phoenix all on the same day.

I've always started from the Sedona side. I'll try from the 17 next time.

That looks like a pretty fun decent!

I'm in Tempe so it's a pretty good drive to any spots.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Trampus posted:

Oh I totally agree. AZ is home to tons of Jeeps that are filled with unnecessary accessories which will never leave the pavement. So if you’re adding accessories you’ll never use just to look cool, why not throw in a snorkel?

Personally I don’t think I’d want a snorkel because I don’t think I’d want to be in position where the water was high enough to actually need it. But maybe I’m being too cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone have thoughts on a recovery kit to buy that isnt' as expensive as the arb one?