Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Staltran posted:

:confused: Doesn't upgrading have a way better gold:industry ratio than buying stuff? Even without the policy?

I dont know, I never did the math

But Im talking about producing, not buying.

In most of my games gold is a scarce resource at least till mid-game, so instead of upgrading that archer to crossbowmen for 400G or something, which would leave me broke (if I have enough gold in the first place), I usually prefer to delete it and build the crossbowmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, I never did the math

But Im talking about producing, not buying.

In most of my games gold is a scarce resource at least till mid-game, so instead of upgrading that archer to crossbowmen for 400G or something, which would leave me broke (if I have enough gold in the first place), I usually prefer to delete it and build the crossbowmen
Oh no, never do this! Deleting a unit is very wasteful! Sounds like you need to produce more commercial hubs / harbors / international trade routes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Maybe you are right, but is a hard balance

I usually prefer spending my production and tiles on whatever will make my civ stronger on the long run (science, production, culture, wonders, things necessary for my cities to develop etc), and you can survive being poor for most of the game

I always build harbor in coastal cities, its almost required and dont wast a good land tile, but commercial zones are pretty down on my priority list, I usually get then late and only in a few cities

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Commercial/harbor and industrial are the two guaranteed districts every city will eventually get, if not the first two.

I also race for each wonder that gives an extra trading route. Never can have enough trading routes.

Building clusters of useless cities in the frozen wastelands just for more trade routes

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

I always build harbor in coastal cities, its almost required and dont wast a good land tile, but commercial zones are pretty down on my priority list, I usually get then late and only in a few cities
Play one game where you build a commercial hub in every city that doesn't have a harbor. For one thing great merchants are one of the best types of great people.

But if you go for democracy and ally up with one of your neighbors, you will never go back. You'll have individual trade routes bringing in like 6-9 food, 6-9 production, 25-35 gold, 2 of each science, culture, and faith.

I used to build campuses in every city but now I only build them when I have +2 or more adjacency bonus. Commercial hubs are where it's at.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, you convinced me, Ill try

One problem I have in this game is that I can never finish games. I play until victory is already unavoidable and then I give up: I cant force myself to keep clicking "next turn" until the expedition lands or I finally have all the tourism or etc, is just boring and late game turns take forever

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Alright, you convinced me, Ill try

One problem I have in this game is that I can never finish games. I play until victory is already unavoidable and then I give up: I cant force myself to keep clicking "next turn" until the expedition lands or I finally have all the tourism or etc, is just boring and late game turns take forever
:same: Once the path to victory becomes clear, I start to lose interest. And I think that's pretty common among civ players.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fleetwood Crack posted:

:same: Once the path to victory becomes clear, I start to lose interest. And I think that's pretty common among civ players.

The Hall of Fame has me finishing games just so I can fill in the screen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fleetwood Crack posted:

civ has about 125 good, well-playtested turns and then another 375 turns of filler

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Civ 5 had ideologies and the world congress to make late game more interesting. Now world congress is there from the beginning and it sucks anyway, and nothing like ideologies

Speaking about it: after some lot of games, I really prefer the way Civ 5 did culture. The fact we had a a lot of small trees instead of just 1 forced players to choose, and this way increased gameplay variety. And then ideologies improved upon that, forcing another big choice and the formation of international blocks

Now its just another research tree just like the science, everyone will research everything and have access to the same policies and switch between then whenever needed, and governments are just a choice between sets of slots and bonuses

edit: although I do like the equipable policies mechanic. Maybe the ideal would be a mix between the 2 systems: multiple culture trees to choose from, and each giving access to different policy cards

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2019

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Just turning off religious victories should make the later 2/3 of the game at least tolerable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Only play on online speed because gently caress taking that many turns

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Marathon or bust

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chad Sexington posted:

Just turning off religious victories should make the later 2/3 of the game at least tolerable.

I always play with religious and diplomatic victories disabled, because gently caress that poo poo too

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always play on marathon because you actually have a chance to use your army before its outdated. Still end up with about 4 turn tech on the second half of the tree though

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Conquest and military is boring though. I just want to make the best cities and for everyone to loooooove me

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The best way to make best cities is to take all cities, ofc.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Megazver posted:

The best way to make best cities is to raze all cities, ofc.
FTFY, AI cities suuuuuccck.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I always play with religious and diplomatic victories disabled, because gently caress that poo poo too

Why? Like I'm not saying to try and win with those victory types, but its not like the AI can either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that’s a question of map size. I tend to play on standard or large maps, so there will be enough AI religions around to keep each other in check and diplo victory is mathematically impossible (highly improbable, if you want to be pedantic) once you start having votes to take points away. On smaller maps one AI with a strong faith economy could feasibly steamroll the other religions and leave a player with no religious investment with little recourse, and you could feasibly garner enough favor to overrule the diplo points vote.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fleetwood Crack posted:

FTFY, AI cities suuuuuccck.

Not if you go on an annexation spree as soon as you get archers!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

Marathon or bust

i'll play any civ except 6 on marathon

but that goes without saying because i'll play any civ except 6

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Was it a poster here who would run tests after updates to see if the AI is able to take cities? Would be interested to see if they've gotten any better now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Madmarker posted:

Why? Like I'm not saying to try and win with those victory types, but its not like the AI can either.

The flood of missionaries and apostles slows down AI turns considerably, gunks up the map and is a huge timesink even if you're just whack-a-moling with inquisitors.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Madmarker posted:

I find both these aspects of the game annoying and lame and I want to ignore them without having to worry about the AI not ignoring them and winning on them

Chad Sexington posted:

The flood of missionaries and apostles slows down AI turns considerably, gunks up the map and is a huge timesink even if you're just whack-a-moling with inquisitors.

Yeah, but turning off religious victory unfortunately does not prevents this, it still happens in all my games

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There's a mod that prevents the AI (and you) from building a Holy District. Gets rid of all religious units.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

John F Bennett posted:

There's a mod that prevents the AI (and you) from building a Holy District. Gets rid of all religious units.
What's the name of this please?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Last game I played to completion (as T. Roosevelt, for reference) I deliberately avoided going for a religion and it was hilarious watching all these AI apostles fighting a religious war over my turf. But yeah, it must be slowing the game down a ton.

Having all the dribs and drabs of faith I've accumulated over the years turn into a bunch of rock stars as I steamroller towards a culture victory (they seem really easy to win compared with other victories) is hilarious though. Especially if one of them really gets on a roll.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 19, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Paul.Power posted:

Last game I played to completion (as T. Roosevelt, for reference) I deliberately avoided going for a religion and it was hilarious watching all these AI apostles fighting a religious war over my turf. But yeah, it must be slowing the game down a ton.

Having all the dribs and drabs of faith I've accumulated over the years turn into a bunch of rock stars as I steamroller towards a culture victory (they seem really easy to win compared with other victories) is hilarious though. Especially if one of them really gets on a roll.

The one time I went for a culture victory with rock bands was a ton of fun, I need to do that again.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wish the price of apostles increased more exponentially, I don't know how the AI affords so many...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Marmaduke! posted:

I wish the price of apostles increased more exponentially, I don't know how the AI affords so many...

the same way the AI afforded 50,000 faith great prophets in civ 5 :ssh:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Marmaduke! posted:

They cheat.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
"theological combat" is probably one of the worst ideas ever in the civ series

edit: vvvvv I think it does. encampments and holy sites seems to be their favorite districts

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 19, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

don't AI weigh holy sites really heavily? that probably helps too

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What's the name of this please?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1688849440&searchtext=Holy+site

Here you go.

Elias_Maluco posted:

"theological combat" is probably one of the worst ideas ever in the civ series

When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. But then everyone was gushing over it so I felt like I just wasn't with it anymore.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Since the new patch came out I've found that playing on the new Terra map is great to keep things interesting mid game and into the later eras.

It's a lot of fun to race over to the untouched continent and spam settlers all over again.

Belbos Computer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 19, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Belbos Computer posted:

Since the new patch came out I've found that playing on the new Terra map is great to keep things interesting mid game and into the later eras.

It's a lot of fun to race over to the untouched continent and spam settlers all over again.

Yeah, it's great. Plus the map gen seems to create some really interesting terrain with bays, lakes, mountain chains and natural wonders. And its crowded enough that the AI get murdering each other early on.
It's been fun to grab the "first envoy counts as two envoys" policy and shoot for caravels. Find a new CS in the New World, get the 2 bonus envoys, spend 1 envoy from your backlog to make it an ally, and suddenly it reveals two or three new city states from the fog... in which you also get two envoys... and so on...
It's completely cheesy but really fun.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, it's great. Plus the map gen seems to create some really interesting terrain with bays, lakes, mountain chains and natural wonders. And its crowded enough that the AI get murdering each other early on.
It's been fun to grab the "first envoy counts as two envoys" policy and shoot for caravels. Find a new CS in the New World, get the 2 bonus envoys, spend 1 envoy from your backlog to make it an ally, and suddenly it reveals two or three new city states from the fog... in which you also get two envoys... and so on...
It's completely cheesy but really fun.

Yeah despite the cheese it's VERY helpful for me on the higher difficulties because I always struggle really hard not to go into a dark age right around that time so it's nice to have a way to get some layup era points.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

gently caress this terrible game and lovely fourth rate amateur incompetent developers! It must be so hard to program while sitting open mouthed and drooling all over the keyboard as soon as they come across something complicated like a three letter word. Want a job a Firaxis? Easy. Enter a programming school, fail all classes and courses and misspell your name on the iq test. I want to play this game but all I get is frustration and anger at how annoying and dumb everything is. Why why oh why did I ever waste my money on this brainless garbage? :bang:

Apart from all the other issues all the time how hard is it to make sure that I don't freaking discover another player's starting warrior when I settle my first city? Just a little exploration reveals tons of empty land, which are now full of millions of barbarians but that's my fault because my two move units can't catch three move units zooming in from three directions. Barbarian camp spawn sound! Where is it? Who the gently caress knows! Might be right outside the border so the scout auto discovers and auto reports as soon as it spawns, yaaaay!

And this!

I'm glad I picked "balanced start" or I might not have gotten that amber.

I want to like this game so much, but I can't. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The game is far from perfect, but I think you are overeacting a bit

I never found another player while setting my first city, and you can use larger maps and fewer civs to make finding one so soon less likely. Also I never had that much problem with barbarians, with the original warrior and a slinger I can take any barbarian camp and I usually find it good to have a bunch near by for the exp and gold. And I dont even bother killing scouts before they report

Also when you find a barbarian camp, you can click on the notification and it will show you where it is, Im not sure how you are having trouble finding then

And I advise using legendary start. But if you start in a terrible location anyway, it happens, is not so absurd, just restart