Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public launched their new branding and every one of their plans for ON are 3G speed only lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
On the bright side, they gave me a free gig of data.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

less than three posted:

Public "3G speed" is 4G LTE with the speed capped at 3mbps. Fine to use because you get all the latency improvements of LTE and the speed advertised is actually delivered.

I went from Koodo LTE to Public 3G about a year ago and notice no difference at all except when downloading extremely long (hour long+) podcasts, takes an extra minute.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

I went from Koodo LTE to Public 3G about a year ago and notice no difference at all except when downloading extremely long (hour long+) podcasts, takes an extra minute.

I'm on Wifi at home and the office, I'm not sure I would even notice anything at all. I guess I do look up at the odd thing at malls/stores and probably would be annoyed with the latency increase but whatever.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lord help me I'm contemplating jumping to Freedom today for the 55$ 15+3+2gb iphone xr + $200 walmart gift card 2 yr contract deal, but I don't want people to hate me like they did the last time I used Wind. I'd get shouted at for being uncallable.

Update: I’m now contractually bound so people will hate calling me but I will get service in subways.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 25, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Coverage has really improved since it was called Wind, I don't think you'll have the same issues.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
When I was on Wind I couldn't get internet in remote locations like... Rogers Arena... Or under any skytrain overpass... That was 3-4 years ago, hopefully they're better now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still don't get freedom reception even in my own apartment. It may not have improved as much as you think it has.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Those poo poo fucks at Freedom tried denying me the $20 discount. The plan is still up on the front page of their their website and I was told I'd get it at Walmart but calling customer service to ensure everything is ok they said the $20x24 month discount expired on the 23rd. I had to insist it cannot be expired after they tried to get me to hang up.

Fair warning to anyone else who thought Shaw were anything less than piss stains.

I was transferred to the Loyalty department and was immediately told I'd be setup with the discount. My belief in that is not terribly high.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If complaining about freedom covergae, please indicate if you've got a band 66 LTE phone. I do and base my statements on that. In my north van apartment, a friend on a grandfathered Wind plan had poor coverage, whereas I've got coverage equal to my old Rogers plan now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

If complaining about freedom covergae, please indicate if you've got a band 66 LTE phone. I do and base my statements on that. In my north van apartment, a friend on a grandfathered Wind plan had poor coverage, whereas I've got coverage equal to my old Rogers plan now.

I have a Pixel 3 XL, so yes it supports band 66.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Public launched their new branding and every one of their plans for ON are 3G speed only lol.

I just traded from an old 1GB LTE plan to a 4GB 3G plan now that I'm out and about far more than I have been in years. Considering I just look at the forums, web browse and use Maps, 3G is plenty fine for me, and I ran out of data on that 1gig plan completely today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have yet to run into an issue where Public Mobile 3G speed limitations are a problem. I suspect it wouldn't be for everyone or if I was hotspotting for my laptop or something it might be, but for anything I ever do on the phone it's perfectly serviceable.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I appreciate the Public Mobile 3G reports, I wouldn’t have tried it otherwise but based on y’all I’m sure it’s plenty for me. Cheaper plan ahoy.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Echoing that I'm 75% of the time on home and work wifi, and when I'm not I'm using maps and maybe streaming some youtube videos, a podcast, or the forums, and have never had an issue with 3G speed. I mean I wouldn't want to browse the .gif thread back in the day before .gifv files, but it's been totally fine for me otherwise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Echoing that I'm 75% of the time on home and work wifi, and when I'm not I'm using maps and maybe streaming some youtube videos, a podcast, or the forums, and have never had an issue with 3G speed. I mean I wouldn't want to browse the .gif thread back in the day before .gifv files, but it's been totally fine for me otherwise.

If you set Youtube to only stream at 480p on cellular, then 3mbps should be fine for that too, and speaking from experience, you won't hit 4gb unless you're watching videos every day..

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Happy to report that freedom mobile did both, give me the promised discount and using a band 66 iPhone XR has not dropped calls or texts. It’s nice to have service in subway stations as well and not have to fumble with the trash free wifi login between stops

As someone with no plans to ever leave the 416/647 coverage area I can recommend them wholeheartedly

It’s nice to see Vympelcom all grown up

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm roaming in Powell River on the Freedom National network. No problems at all here. Ferries were fine (in so far as I had the same coverage as everyone else).

Keep in mind that my post can be summed up as "it works now!"

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Anyone know when koodo usually does their BOGO booster sales? I need to top up soon but don't want to buy and find out the sale is the next day.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Heners_UK posted:

I'm roaming in Powell River on the Freedom National network. No problems at all here. Ferries were fine (in so far as I had the same coverage as everyone else).

Keep in mind that my post can be summed up as "it works now!"

Does it call it roaming still? Until last week I was on one of their ancient plans that got you nothing once you left the city. Now I've switched to a big gig plan (with free pixel 3), and the one time I went out of town my phone said roaming and wouldn't make a call. I dunno if I just takes a few days, or a setting didn't get updated on my previous phone, or what.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The network name is "Nationwide" and it is identified as a roaming network.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koodo has this bot on their site now that pops up and offers you a $35 deal, which is the activation fee that is waived anyway if you order online. Not the sketchiest thing ever, but I dont like it. I actually responded back to it the first time and even got a text days later asking me about my experience with it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, the time has come to jump over to Public Mobile. I've been on that $60 for 10GB plan every carrier was offering a while ago, but I usually use less than 1GB, maybe 5GB if I'm traveling a lot. I think my wife is still on a crazy expensive plan with Bell (should have dealt with it earlier, I know).

Public Mobile has an ad with RBC for this offer which seems pretty decent:

quote:

Valid From: July 02, 2019 - September 30, 2019

Sign up with Public Mobile and receive an exclusive offer. From now until September 30, 2019, receive $10 off the first 6 months on monthly rate plans of $40 or higher in addition to a one-time 5GB bonus data add-on using the link and promo code below.* Please see terms and conditions for details.

Then you've got to use the code RBCREWARDS at checkout and pay with an RBC card (obv).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/RBC-offer

Between my wife and I this should be a good chunk of savings as we'll get on cheaper plans in general, plus that extra $10 off for the first 6 months. Sims are on order. Let's hope everything works out.

edit: Oh god, please don't flood my inbox with referral codes. I might not be able to use one in addition to the RBC one, and if I can I have a friend whose code I'll use anyway.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 10, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PM'd you a referral code on the off-chance no one else has. :hfive:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, looks like it's time to move the wifey over from Bell. She has an Apple watch but she's willing to lose the untethered connectivity for the deal. Actually, it's more because Bell is loving terrible.

They spent the last 6 months billing her random, unwarranted small charges on her bills. Like 10-30 cents. But then she would have to call them every time and be on hold for 20+ minites to reverse the charges. They said it was a bug or something and there was nothing they could do so she ended up makkng a full-bore CRTC complaint with investigation and afaik they were fined lol.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No one should be with bell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

No one should be with bell.

Robelushawgeco delenda est

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
So just to be clear, the new Public Mobile RBC deal is for $10 off your bill for six months and a one-time 5GB data credit on your account, not a monthly increase of 5GB to your data limit, correct?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is my understanding with Public bonus, is it's a 1-time.

ALTHOUGH, I got a 1GB bonus last month and now my acct says this so I dunno (the 2GB is my US roaming)

e: And like above, if anyone wants a Public referral, let me know. It supposedly gives you a $10 credit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Huh, base two megabytes.

Odd that between base two and base ten, they went with the one that benefits the customer more.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Heners_UK posted:

The network name is "Nationwide" and it is identified as a roaming network.

Maybe I'm stupid and missing something, but I'm in Powell River this week and my only choices are two LTE networks and a 3g network, and all of them are called "AWAY". I figure I'm safe if I let it connect automatically but for the rest of the month I'm gonna be on edge that I'm gonna get extra charges when my bill comes around. I'm on a pixel 3 with Android 10 if that makes a difference.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anyone want to DM me a Public Mobile referral number? If you can beat any of our Facebook friends it's yours.

NOT RISKY BISQUIK YOU HAVE ENOUGH REFERRALS THANK YOU VERY MUCH lol

e. Got one, thanks for playing everyone

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 16, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aww, man... :sigh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dillbag posted:

Anyone want to DM me a Public Mobile referral number? If you can beat any of our Facebook friends it's yours.

NOT RISKY BISQUIK YOU HAVE ENOUGH REFERRALS THANK YOU VERY MUCH lol

e. Got one, thanks for playing everyone

Speak of the devil and he shall appear, who needs a referral I paid :10bux: and got pms now

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently Koodo is offering some 12gb/65 bucks and loving 20gb/$80. Of course I never see such offers!

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Apparently Koodo is offering some 12gb/65 bucks and loving 20gb/$80. Of course I never see such offers!

If it helps anything, I called Koodo a few weeks ago asking for an offer that I heard some others were receiving calls about - I think it was the 20GB for $80. The rep couldn’t give me that but she gave me a 10GB for $60 plan with a 6GB addon for $15.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm still on the PM 12GB LTE/3 mos plan. I think at this point I'm down to paying $36 a month since I never need more than the 200 minutes or whatever it came with.

slidebite posted:

That is my understanding with Public bonus, is it's a 1-time.

ALTHOUGH, I got a 1GB bonus last month and now my acct says this so I dunno (the 2GB is my US roaming)

e: And like above, if anyone wants a Public referral, let me know. It supposedly gives you a $10 credit.

It's because they're all one-time permanent allotments. That means that you'll never start to use it until you go over your subscription data for the month. Whatever you don't use before your plan data returns is kept for the next time you run out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got on a 10GB Infinite/unlimited plan from Rogers for $60. Thanks, loyalty offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

CLAM DOWN posted:

10GB Infinite/unlimited

Is it 10gb or unlimited? :what: