Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arivia posted:

That still means bears were a 2/2 for 2G, which is HILARIOUS. Imagine what we'd think of today's creatures if that was the standard template that went to print.

You mean like Gray Ogre, Scathe Zombies, and Pearled Unicorn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

oh whoops, in recompense I offer these spoilers

Both sucky. It's weird that wg has all these adventure matters cards when I'm pretty sure there's only been one good adventure shown and it's black. The entire theme is going to be draft only.

Edit: wait there was that red one that looked OK too. WG has so far a limited 5 mana wrath with a blah pile of stats on the end.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 17, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You mean like Gray Ogre, Scathe Zombies, and Pearled Unicorn?

Yes, but it would be funny if bear meant a 3-mana 2/2 instead.

I'm not denying that's a thing, I'm saying it would be funny if bears were fundamentally different from what we thought they were in Magic.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Wrt adventure matter cards being only good in draft: I feel like that’s pretty often the case though. Have any surveil-matters or historic matters cards seen standard play?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

"what if mono green doesnt have enough mana after casting nissa" is not a real concern.

You can absolutely afford to play it in mono green. It's free mana. 1-of for sure, 2-of probably, dont have to do much more.

Responding to a post starting with "If you're not monogreen" with "but monogreen doesn't have any issues" is maybe missing the point a bit.

Draxion posted:

The "downside" for it not being a forest after playing Nissa is basically just that it now basically taps for two mana just like all your other stuff, too

It's not a downside, it's a reduction of the upside. The downside is issues curving out, by not being an untapped source on t1 and awkward hands with multiples or just these and temples and offcolor lands. You balance the downside against the upside, so if the upside is reduced the cost might not be worth paying.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Both sucky. It's weird that wg has all these adventure matters cards when I'm pretty sure there's only been one good adventure shown and it's black. The entire theme is going to be draft only.

I think giant killer and the wrath are both at least acceptable cards. there's probably been others too, I don't remember all the adventures offhand

white land in cycle, 2WW, T: make a 1/1 Human

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kurona_bright posted:

Wrt adventure matter cards being only good in draft: I feel like that’s pretty often the case though. Have any surveil-matters or historic matters cards seen standard play?

Teshar in Kethis Combo and Raff almost did for a minute. But, surveil is good enough of a mechanic to not need help.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i mean there are more compelling reasons to not run the rare lands outside of mono decks, they can ETB tapped and be a problem. I dont expect them to go in every deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

I think giant killer and the wrath are both at least acceptable cards. there's probably been others too, I don't remember all the adventures offhand

Holy crap, slightly more expensive legions landing without using up a full card. I like it.

The red adventure cards seems really, really good. The giant and the faithless looting one.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

I remember when you had so sac a plains for this.

MAKE KJELDOR GREAT AGAIN

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The White and Black lands are incredible, Blue finding a place somewhere would not be surprising at all (hello Merfolk?) and the Red and Green are fine if wildly overcentralized.

It’s a good cycle and they’re all good cards

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Elyv posted:

The Pathlighter seems pretty dang good in limited

Also Murderous Rider is 100% going to see a lot of standard play, it's very comparable to Ravenous Chupacabra.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arivia posted:

That still means bears were a 2/2 for 2G, which is HILARIOUS. Imagine what we'd think of today's creatures if that was the standard template that went to print.

they basically did print that, grey ogre

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

Disinformation Campaign was played a bit. Teshar and Rona were played. I think Edgewall Inkeeper could potentially get there from this set, a 1 drop that draws cards is pretty interesting if it gets the support it needs.

Elyv posted:

Those are the only potential constructed level white adventures I remember. Green has Beanstalk Giant and Lovestruck Beast with some potential. All four black knights could be potentially playable though.

This seems like the best of the lands to me, with black pretty close. There are very few white decks that don't want a bonus token generator late.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Thinking again, I hope all these lands are unplayable garbage, because they're sure not getting reprinted easily with those names.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

About what I expected. Won't be surprised at all if this ends up being the most commonly used of the cycle.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

About what I expected. Won't be surprised at all if this ends up being the most commonly used of the cycle.

I think it’s slotting into a lot of decks in Modern.

It’s a very solid sink for UW at end of turn if they’re holding up countermagic, let alone an extra body in every Stoneforge deck through to the end of time

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

Thinking again, I hope all these lands are unplayable garbage, because they're sure not getting reprinted easily with those names.

as long as mono-colored decks exist there's no way they'll all be unplayable, the deckbuilding cost in that case is so low. It's not even that high in a lot of 2 color decks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Or it's removal with lifedrain. I mean you are hoping for a better peel but my point is the swampfall guy will be a nice role player in the shell. :shrug:

I said unironically!! I love drawing cards and playing lands and losing life, though if you you can also play lands and gain life, that's good too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I wonder if its possible to program an AI to competently play Momir using Arena's limited pool.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

InterrupterJones posted:

Now I'm curious, what would be on the top of people's lists for lovely art frames to ban?

FWIW on the ones in this set, I'm in camp "they look nice"

The ones in faux hieroglyphics that are unreadable.

I also think the Future Sight frames look terrible.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Elyv posted:

This doesn't say May on it, did they fix the rule where effects like this can kill the target creature if this has negative power (like, via Befuddle or something)?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Realm-Cloaked Giant doesn't get hit by Duress/Negate, it might be very good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Realm-Cloaked Giant doesn't get hit by Duress/Negate, it might be very good.

Can't it be negated if you send it on an adventure?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

evilweasel posted:

they basically did print that, grey ogre

As someone who is getting back into MTG after dipping out around Mirrodin or so, I’m still not used to the power level of creatures, so many vanilla creatures seem outrageously powerful.

Back in my day a 2/2 for 2 in black or red had to have a disadvantage! For some reason!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Can't it be negated if you send it on an adventure?

Oh true, I got excited about Duress and extrapolated poorly. It's just Duress that it dodges then.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

This doesn't say May on it, did they fix the rule where effects like this can kill the target creature if this has negative power (like, via Befuddle or something)?

If you think using Befuddle to kill the target creature when the ability resolves isn't the most elegant thing you've ever seen, then I don't want to play magic with you

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

As someone who is getting back into MTG after dipping out around Mirrodin or so, I’m still not used to the power level of creatures, so many vanilla creatures seem outrageously powerful.

Back in my day a 2/2 for 2 in black or red had to have a disadvantage! For some reason!

If it's any consolation, there still hasn't been a U1 2/2 with no downside

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Yes, +x where x is negative now is treated as 0.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah I dipped out about the Urza's block (every time remembering selling off my Power and stuff around '00 stings).

My friend and I had a lot of cachet for running a grip of Juzams in our decks. Just an unstoppable efficient powerhouse.

Nowadays that's about the power level you'd expect of an actual uncommon meant to be a high-pick beater for limited but nothing fancy.

E: Didn't it recently get a near-functonal reprint that was basically that, a draft dross uncommon, complete with an art throwback reference or am I having a stroke?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 17, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Devor posted:

If you think using Befuddle to kill the target creature when the ability resolves isn't the most elegant thing you've ever seen, then I don't want to play magic with you

I did it with Downsize on a Wild Beastmaster in Return to Ravnica draft to wipe their entire team, and it was fuckin great. The hard part was having to get multiple people to explain that's how the rule works. It was O-ring Bounce Trick level of frustration lol.

I couldn't remember if they changed the rule some time after, but it looks like they have.

From scryfall:

If Gruul Beastmaster’s power is negative as its triggered ability resolves, X is considered to be 0. In other words, that ability can’t cause the creature to lose power.
(2019-01-25)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah I dipped out about the Urza's block (every time remembering selling off my Power and stuff around '00 stings).

My friend and I had a lot of cachet for running a grip of Juzams in our decks. Just an unstoppable efficient powerhouse.

Nowadays that's about the power level you'd expect of an actual uncommon meant to be a high-pick beater for limited but nothing fancy.

E: Didn't it recently get a near-functonal reprint that was basically that, a draft dross uncommon, complete with an art throwback reference or am I having a stroke?

There was a red version printed in Modern Horizons at uncommon. It was fine. Juzam Djinn is pretty far above the curve as far as limited cards go but to see constructed play as an efficient beater a card has to be quite a bit more efficient than that

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Plague Sliver a while ago, and there's a red uncommon Juzam in Horizons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There was a red version printed in Modern Horizons at uncommon. It was fine. Juzam Djinn is pretty far above the curve as far as limited cards go but to see constructed play as an efficient beater a card has to be quite a bit more efficient than that

Ravenous Giant! Thanks. Yeah back in the day that woulda been a premium uncommon and in high demand. You would love to curve into that on the way to your nigh unstoppable Shivan Dragon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Whoever is archiving those old Inquests, hopefully you find one with a price for Balduvian Horde when it first released, I think it was like $20 lmao

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Whoever is archiving those old Inquests, hopefully you find one with a price for Balduvian Horde when it first released, I think it was like $20 lmao

I remember I cracked one in my first pack of Alliances while everyone in the store was frantically buying packs hoping for one. Everyone tried to trade me for it, but I put it in a sleeve and into my box. It's still in that sleeve. I probably could've had two or three Revised duals for it at the time.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Owlbear Camus posted:

I get a kick out of the non-broken Alpha creatures that are still kicking around, like Serra Angel and Air Elemental. It's cool that they still have a place in, at least, limited meta. It's a testament that the game hasn't changed to be utterly unrecognizable in 26 years.

I've been going through the old sets on Scryfall and the first 10 or so years of Magic it feels like they made a concerted effort to make half the cards in a set be just unplayable garbage. Like, a net negative on your deck. Definitely took em a while to find a balance.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

If it's any consolation, there still hasn't been a U1 2/2 with no downside

Ha, that's wild. Departed Deckhand is ~almost~ all upside.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mike N Eich posted:

I get a kick out of the non-broken Alpha creatures that are still kicking around, like Serra Angel and Air Elemental. It's cool that they still have a place in, at least, limited meta. It's a testament that the game hasn't changed to be utterly unrecognizable in 26 years.

I've been going through the old sets on Scryfall and the first 10 or so years of Magic it feels like they made a concerted effort to make half the cards in a set be just unplayable garbage. Like, a net negative on your deck. Definitely took em a while to find a balance.

Dragon whelp should be a core set staple too. It's a very well designed card.

Also, original art please.

edit:

fadam posted:

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

Mine was just a comic book store.