Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chief McHeath posted:

I read that you have to train to failure so I just walk in, grab the 120s, try to bench them and fail but I'm not seeing any gains pls help

more weight, fewer reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm 34 and I don't really experience "the broken body syndrome". Sure I've injured myself a few times but it has healed up. Who hasn't injured themselves lifting heavy weights?? That's part of the game

But I don't really understand what you guys do to annihilate your joints and spines all the time

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Chief McHeath posted:

I read that you have to train to failure so I just walk in, grab the 120s, try to bench them and fail but I'm not seeing any gains pls help

Are you screaming LIGHT WEIGHT BUDDAAYY as you do so

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cosmik Slop posted:

are there people not doing this

there is a woman at the gym who is apparently putting "in use" signs on equipment that she's using during a workout. This morning was 3 racks, the leg press and a piece of the turf. When asked in what universe does she think that's ok, her response was "my trainer told me I need all this and to put signs out"

1) get a new trainer
2) this is a public gym

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Cosmik Slop posted:

no its "COME ON GRANDPAAAAAA" ...... "YEAAHHHHHHHHHHH"

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I get mildly infuriated when people use equipment for exercises that could be performed elsewhere, for instance a lady once using a squat rack for ballet stretches, but I never usually say anything unless it's particularly egregious or happens repeatedly.

MA-Horus posted:

there is a woman at the gym who is apparently putting "in use" signs on equipment that she's using during a workout. This morning was 3 racks, the leg press and a piece of the turf. When asked in what universe does she think that's ok, her response was "my trainer told me I need all this and to put signs out"

1) get a new trainer
2) this is a public gym

This one though is an all timer. Wow.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't really have a problem going "can i work out here too?" to anyone misusing a station or anyone really. So far in several years no one has said no yet

Just impose yourself on the idiots so you can get your work done

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I asked a girl who was using the squat rack as a phone stand and bag holder so she could facetime someone if I could use it and she said np. Then dropped her phone on her gym bag kicked it all over to to under where the barbell was so I had to like straddle it to put weights on that side while her man was looking up my shorts. She power moved me hard

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shoulda intentionally failed and dropped the bar

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I don't really have a problem going "can i work out here too?" to anyone misusing a station or anyone really. So far in several years no one has said no yet

Just impose yourself on the idiots so you can get your work done

Yeah I normally do this. It was the signs and the sheer gall of trying to "reserve" poo poo at a public gym.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

1) get a new trainer
2) this is a public gym

She must have a huge rear end if it takes 3 racks to take an instagram selfie.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
New guy in the gym this morning. Not a lot of people, so after he used the bench press and left a couple 35s on the bar, I started watching him behind me in the mirror while I did dumbell work.

Lots of phone time between sets. 1-2 sets per station.

Left 35s on the bench.

Left 25s on the incline bench.

Left 25s on a random straight bar.

Left 10s and 5s on the curling bar.

Eventually I asked him if he was done with the bench, and then told him I'd put these weights away for him. As a hint.

He left soon after, his trail of unracked weights easily followed, like a tale of shame and poor upbringing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s why I love my gym. Ain’t got none of that poo poo and it’s almost always empty lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jove Tone posted:

Gearing up for our small town zombiethon in october. Practicing my foot-drag on the treadmill.
90 posts in 13+ years i love it

MA-Horus posted:

lolllllllll just incredible sense of self-confidence, here

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 17, 2019

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm 34 and I don't really experience "the broken body syndrome". Sure I've injured myself a few times but it has healed up. Who hasn't injured themselves lifting heavy weights?? That's part of the game

But I don't really understand what you guys do to annihilate your joints and spines all the time

i hope you are enjoying your low volume training

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

All I want is an empty gym

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

90 posts in 13+ years i love it

Low volume training.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Raffles posted:

All I want is an empty gym

The rock has some portable LA Fitness size gym he flies around the world with him probably on his private ac-130 cargo jet or some poo poo so he can work out alone :\

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Fallows posted:

The rock has some portable LA Fitness size gym he flies around the world with him probably on his private ac-130 cargo jet or some poo poo so he can work out alone :\

Yeah and look at the loving size of him. Imagine what I could achieve with such solitude.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I had a guy invade the rack I was using rack while I turned my back for some plates. When I turned back he asked to share, I have no problem doing that, but dude I was nowhere done with that set (I just finished my warmup), it made me lose momentum, weirded me out and I gave him a weird look. He only did a set.

There's another regular I've had to tell something to. He'll stand in the middle of the rack, doing tons of single shoulder shrugs with a 20 lbs plate. I only see him do that or cardio.

I love it when it's empty!

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Sweet As Sin posted:

I had a guy invade the rack I was using rack while I turned my back for some plates. When I turned back he asked to share, I have no problem doing that, but dude I was nowhere done with that set (I just finished my warmup), it made me lose momentum, weirded me out and I gave him a weird look. He only did a set.

There's another regular I've had to tell something to. He'll stand in the middle of the rack, doing tons of single shoulder shrugs with a 20 lbs plate. I only see him do that or cardio.

I love it when it's empty!

You got big dogged, he didn't ask you if he could work in? That's super weird.

I used to laugh at the thought of curls in the rack, but now everyone stands around in the racks on their phones. At least with the curls you're making some arm gains.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
He literally just said, not even ask, "we can share!" I gave him the weirdest look and said ok (I was a bit shocked). He did one little set and left forever.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Raffles posted:

Yeah and look at the loving size of him. Imagine what I could achieve with such solitude.

What sort of steroid is "solitude", I've never heard of it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting really really tired after workouts, but I'm not used to strength training. My body just feels super tired for instance, right now 5 hours later and I feel sort of useless after my workout. I had a protein smoothie with some fruit and milk right afterwards and ate breakfast before. I assume I'll get used to this at some point? I don't remember feeling like this when I used to work out (a long time ago). I just did flyes, incline flyes, bench press, incline press, military press, 5 minute cardio warmup and 15 minutes of cardio afterwards. Also is it flys or flyes?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

redreader posted:

Also is it flys or flyes?

Depends. Do your feet touch the floor as you do them?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I went grocery shopping today and needed some good snacks, so I got some triscuits, cheddar cheese spread and Genoa salami to make Gainsables (Lunchables but for Gains).

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

bomb posted:

You got big dogged, he didn't ask you if he could work in? That's super weird.

Men treat women like poo poo and it definitely continues into the gym. I'm in a lefty fitness group on FB with lots of women in it and have seen plenty of stories like this.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

Men treat women like poo poo and it definitely continues into the gym. I'm in a lefty fitness group on FB with lots of women in it and have seen plenty of stories like this.

I feel bad for lady folk, all the staring and strutting/peacocking is ridiculous.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Before he did that, I was putting my plates back on their place after using the bench. I wasn't even finished when he grabbed it, weirded me out but Ok maybe he was impatient. Then he did the rack thing, luckily my resting bitchface is massive so I think he got the hint I was very annoyed.

It's super weird. Back when I was fatter I became invisible to men, and now I lost most of the extra fat I get all sorts of attention. I actually liked being left alone.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sweet As Sin posted:

Before he did that, I was putting my plates back on their place after using the bench. I wasn't even finished when he grabbed it, weirded me out but Ok maybe he was impatient. Then he did the rack thing, luckily my resting bitchface is massive so I think he got the hint I was very annoyed.

It's super weird. Back when I was fatter I became invisible to men, and now I lost most of the extra fat I get all sorts of attention. I actually liked being left alone.

sounds like you know what to do

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

How does leftism inform your workouts

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Being fat again is out of the question :lol:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

barkbell posted:

How does leftism inform your workouts

The means of broduction are in the hands of the swoletariat.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

This is correct

A few weeks ago I saw some guy who started filming a really hot girl who was on the treadmill. Like, this dude just picks up his phone and starts filming the rear end of a woman infront of everyone like he didn't even understand why it was wrong

The receptionist at the gym had to ask him to leave when the treadmill-hottie noticed and complained and the phone guy just looked confused the whole way out like he couldn't grasp the injustice done to him since he had done Nothing Wrong in his mind

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 18, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I'm in a lefty fitness group on FB with lots of women in it and have seen plenty of stories like this.
What does being left handed have to do with the gym, and why would that group attract left handed women when men are disproportionately more likely to be left handed...

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 18, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Khorne posted:

What does being left handed have to do with the gym, and why would that group attract left handed women when men are disproportionately more likely to be left handed...

Being left handed is an advantage for deadlift a because it means your mixed grip will be the correct way round to take advantage of earth's rotation

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

What if your facing towards the earths equator in the northern hemisphere?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've discovered the only true way to deadlift is to stand directly in a collapsing gravity well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
without a belt