Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
you can get a place anywhere on the Picadilly line, Cockfosters is the north east terminus so any tube going away from Heathrow or Uxbridge is towards it for comedy directions

https://twitter.com/simonfromharlow/status/921741375531560960

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I get off at Theydon Bois

personally I'm quite partial to Roding (in the) Valley

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Thanks for all the advice!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not sure how practical this is likely to be but you could possibly airbnb a cheap place for like a week to go flat hunting?

That's the plan if I don't have anything sorted by mid-October, hoping it won't come to it because I really want to just get settled in as quick as possible.

Miftan posted:

Or just like a 3 month contract, I know there's a few of those knocking about.

It's only a 6 month grant thing I'm on anyway so I doubt I'll be in London longer than that unless someone offers me money to do a postdoc at UCL or something.

forkboy84 posted:

I have never had a commute that short. But fine, Londoners are spoiled children, so what's another place with a funny name?

Alternatively for just £7500 a week you could rent a 6 bedroom place in Regents Park. That'd be fun.

Fond memories of my 1hr 45min each way commute to my old job before I got on the PhD gravy train that is now rapidly approaching the end of the line :(

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So a few weeks ago I excitedly announced in this thread that I was going to be a dad.

I am not going to be a dad. Baby didn’t make it.

Sorry mate, my condolences

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

My wife always got a kick of St. John's Wood on the Jubilee line. "That's not very saintly of him!"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So a few weeks ago I excitedly announced in this thread that I was going to be a dad.

I'm sorry mate, sending you virtual love.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thanks all, it’s really appreciated honestly.

This is something I’ve been told by a lot of people and it does still leave a lot of hope for which I’m glad.

I’ve just been driving it into my partners head as best I can that it’s not her fault and no one blames her for anything.

Sorry bud. Look after yourselves eh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean if you want to spend 2 hours a day crammed into a stranger's armpit then you do you I guess

Well yes, I'm doing me by not living in London. I suppose that might change if I win the Euromillions tonight (spoiler, I won't but some times false hope is better than none at all) but as it stands the odds of me living in Grozny are about the same as me living in London so funny names are far more important than realistic commutes.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
countdown to CORBYN TWEETS CHILLING STALINIST THREAT AGAINST FREE PRESS

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1174022528760721410

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I trusted the wrong fart at work today lads.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

communism bitch posted:

I trusted the wrong fart at work today lads.

That happened to me as a kid in school and no joke I just sat in my own poo poo for an hour and a half before I could go home rather than let anyone find out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

That happened to me as a kid in school and no joke I just sat in my own poo poo for an hour and a half before I could go home rather than let anyone find out.

:eyepoop:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I was a little luckier than that. Taking a slash, went to fart, felt it squelch out between my arse cheeks. Froze up, negotiated my trousers and boxers to the ground, found (thankfully) that it hadn't touched cloth. Took a poo poo and cleaned myself up and went back to work. I have never felt so loving nasty tho. Naturally I had to share this with the internet.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Deepest deepest condolences, that’s an awful thing to handle. Hope you and your wife get through it as well as anyone can.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

OK the abomination that is the US healthcare system is a big one, but on the flip side, isn't property generally a lot cheaper over there, due to the amount of space they have? I've certainly been led to believe this is the case. Consumer goods seem generally cheaper too, with the price figure being the same in dollars there as it is in pounds here.

Go house shopping in Silicon Valley or NYC and see where that gets you. Houses in backwater Nebraska are cheap, but the same is true of the grottiest areas of Grimsby.

Bear in mind consumer goods (and indeed e.g. food) prices are shown without sales tax whereas ours bake in VAT; granted theirs more usually run at like 6% than 20%. Having lived in both countries, I didn't notice food being hugely cheaper there with the possible exception of meat.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

These slice of life details are what make the UKMT pop

Referring to ober making GBS threads himself ofc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol I thought this poo poo only happened to people who have Crohn's disease like me

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Andrast posted:

lol I thought this poo poo only happened to people who have Crohn's disease like me

Too much coffee, too much cigarettes, and too bad of a diet will do it too, apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

communism bitch posted:

I was a little luckier than that. Taking a slash, went to fart, felt it squelch out between my arse cheeks. Froze up, negotiated my trousers and boxers to the ground, found (thankfully) that it hadn't touched cloth. Took a poo poo and cleaned myself up and went back to work. I have never felt so loving nasty tho. Naturally I had to share this with the internet.

I had to replace the cushions on my chair last time that happened. Fortune favours you goonsir.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also cheery news as autistic man found dead in flat, 9 months after benefits were cut off (content warning for suicide).

Apparently a note on his computer said he didn't have the strength to fight any more. Not only that, but social workers had been telling his parents that he didn't want to see them, so they were unable to intervene on his behalf.

This is exactly the kind of poo poo the podcast was discussing. They want sick and vulnerable people to die and stop being a burden on the system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also that time when I was 15 and had appendicitis and had to do a big ol' hot chocolate high velocity into the bin in my room.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

For Kensington my first thought would be to look around in the Putney area

Putney was also the site of the Putney Debates and is thus obviously a Correct place to live.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

communism bitch posted:

Too much coffee, too much cigarettes, and too bad of a diet will do it too, apparently.

Next time be sure you're close to a convenient train platform

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also cheery news as autistic man found dead in flat, 9 months after benefits were cut off (content warning for suicide).

Apparently a note on his computer said he didn't have the strength to fight any more. Not only that, but social workers had been telling his parents that he didn't want to see them, so they were unable to intervene on his behalf.

This is exactly the kind of poo poo the podcast was discussing. They want sick and vulnerable people to die and stop being a burden on the system.

At this point I really would settle for just seeing IDS and his ilk tried and strung up from the top of grenfell tower, don't care what else a labour government achieves as long as they can manage that.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Andrast posted:

Jack Leach, is that you?

(I just read that about him on Wiki, must be inconvenient to have to stand on a cricket field all day)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ThomasPaine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for flat hunting in London? I'm due to be moving down the first week of November so I've been looking at Rightmove and all the rest of it. Found a really nice little studio within my budget in an area I've been told is decent, right next to a tube station - perfect! Only I called the lettings agent and they were all 'November! Ha! Landlord won't be waiting that long my friend!'. That's like what, a month and a half? I know the London rental market is exploitative and apathetic as gently caress, but jesus am I supposed to find a flat, get all the paperwork sorted, get the lease signed, and move in within the space of like a week? Is it more reasonable to maybe start calling places at the start of October? In past experience the process of calling the landlord to moving in has taken at least a few weeks minimum. This is a loving headache I cba with while I'm trying to finish my bloody thesis.

ThomasPaine posted:

Kensington. I don't mind a commute though so as long as I'm relatively close to any tube line and can get in within maybe 30-40mins I'm cool.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's only a 6 month grant thing I'm on anyway so I doubt I'll be in London longer than that unless someone offers me money to do a postdoc at UCL or something.

If you're on your own, find a room on spareroom.co.uk or similar.

That aside, I have some code for finding the cheapest rent for a given commute in London. For a commute to Kensington High Street, it recommends North Greenwich. 25 mins, most of it on the Jubilee (a good line). Greenwich has gentrified a bunch since I wrote the thing in 2013 though, so maybe it isn't still as much of a deal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is an awful turn of events, and a deliberate consequence of austerity, and I understand that the parents must be distraught and lashing out in all directions, but I'm not sure that this is the best thing to be pushing for:

quote:

They had battled for six years to see him after he told his social workers during an assessment that he did not wish contact with his family.

“He did not have the mental capacity to make that decision,” said his dad.

“If we had been allowed to see him we would have helped him and his life could have been saved.”

Ayman had been receiving care from social services but it is understood he refused contact with them in the period leading up to his death.

Because whatever he's thinking would happen, what he's asking for amounts to "the state should have more leeway to overrule the consent of the people they want dead" and I can't see much good coming out of that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

coffeetable posted:

That aside, I have some code for finding the cheapest rent for a given commute in London. For a commute to Kensington High Street, it recommends North Greenwich. 25 mins, most of it on the Jubilee (a good line). Greenwich has gentrified a bunch since I wrote the thing in 2013 though, so maybe it isn't still as much of a deal.

I would really much prefer my own space tbh. I'm just old enough now that living with a bunch of flatmates seems more frustrating than fun.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I have an alright house in a nice enough area of a bad town, and my commute is 30 minutes door to door.

e; tbh the only issue with this town versus other ones is it's not old so it's not got all the fancy old expensive homes.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

coffeetable posted:

you could also try openrent.co.uk which usually cuts out agents

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

quote:

“If the DWP are not going to understand that my condition is immutable, then I am not going to play along,” he added.

And then he hanged himself, playing along with the DWP entirely.

I don't know what kind of psychopath you have to be to work there these days.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Acton has a healthy goon population it seems... Goon meet at the G&D?

So sorry to hear the other thread news. It's ok to not be ok.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2019

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So I know one or two of you enjoy the odd snippets from wok that I post every now and again. I've been dealing with a lot of 17th C papers from the Court of Chivalry lately, and among them are records of cases involving a Katherine de la Haye, who really didn't seem to get on with her neighbour Mr Lydsey.

quote:

Petition of Katherine, wife of Captain John de la Hay. She went to an orchard called the
Bittams and finding there hogs (unlawed), set a bitch to hunt them out. Whereupon Richard Lydsey
the younger, a maltman of Kingston-upon-Thames [co. Surrey], 'having in his hand a sharp and
dangerous weapon called a Hough threwe the same with great violence so neere to the petr
that it
dasht upp the gravell in her face, & very narrowlie missed her; And did also revile and call the petr
dirty slutt, stinking drab, & idle huswife’. Petitioner seeks to have Lydsey brought before the Court.

quote:

Deposition of Katherine de la Haye of Kingston-upon-Thames [co. Surrey], and James Blisse,
of the same, concerning behaviour of Richard Lydsey, but adds that the offence was on 19
June 1637 and that he 'bade the said Katherine kisse his arse, and kisse his hogges arse, wth other
reprochfull & uncivill language Taken before John Page, 1 March 1637/8.

I just really like the inventiveness of some of the insults, so here are one or two more:

quote:

Petition of John Prichard, gent., a groom of His Majesty's chamber. Recites that John Thomas
and Elizabeth his wife, John Crockett, Thomas James and his son Stephen, Owen Vaughan and John
Humfreys, all of co. Montgomery, have spoken scandalous words about petitioner, his wife and his
mother. Among the words used, ' base old Tedge', was applied to petitioner's mother, ' idle base
queane' to his wife, and ' scurvy base fellow' to himself. John Humfreys also accused of laying violent
hands on petitioner whose wife ' being great with child was much Affrighted & endanngered'. Prays
that the complaint against these ' persons of base condic'on latelie indighted as accessaries to a
felony' may be considered. Endorsed 1632 and referred to three gentlemen of the country.

quote:

Petition of Thomas White of St. Dunstan in the West, London, esq. Recites that he is
descended of an ancient family (his father and grandfather being knights) but has been abused ' by
divers approbrious and contumelious speeches uttered against him by one Robert King of Upton
Gray in the County of South'ton yeoman', who said petitioner ' was a base fellow, and a bastardly
rogue, and a bastardly chitt, and begott by a criple of some divell, and that he would proove it.'
Prays for a warrant to bring King before the Court. Endorsed 24 March 1637/8 by Arthur Duck to Mr.
Dethick that process go out.

quote:

Petition of John Aston 'by his Birth a Gentleman and discended of the Anncient Family of the
Astons of Tixhall in Staffordshire, and neerely allied unto the right honoble Walter Lord Aston
Extraordinary Imbassador for his Matie in Spaine, and unto the right Honoble the Earle of Denbigh',
who had dealings with John Oakes ' a Printer in this Cittie'. Complains that Oakes called petitioner
'base Knave, and stinkeinge beggerly Knave, and not to be worth a hundred pence, and that before
hee had done with him hee would make him knowne to bee soe to all his neighbours, and . . . did
very often give yor Petr the Lye . . . telling him hee was a Jack . . .'. Petitioner prays 'That hee maye
not have his Birth and Blood stayned nor disgraced by the foule mouth and unman[ner]ly speeches
of the said John Oakes'. Endorsed by Jo: Mychett that Richard Harper maketh oath that he knows
this petition to be true in substance, 3 Jan. 1637/8.

quote:

Petition of Mrs Eliz: Peirse, widow, that Walter Rowlestone called her ' base-slutt, and saying
shee was an Whore, Baude, and that shee was brought upp in Turnball street, and all hir fine clothes
were bought att ye
Broakers '. Requests that' being a Gentlewoman of Quallity, and Good desent',
her son-in-law Henry Hughes may become a petitioner in her behalf, 'by reason of hir Age, and the
great distance of places'. On same sheet, draft of statement relating to buildings erected contrary to
His Majesty's proclamation.

Thank you for reading my post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thank u idle based queane.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Also in the US it's normal to get out of college with a 100k+ student loan debt, so you're paying a mortgage-like monthly payment from the get go, on top of your mortgage or rent and other mandatory expenses (like insurance, bills and groceries).

It's normal here to get out of college with £50k of debt - https://university.which.co.uk/advice/student-finance/how-much-debt-will-i-actually-get-into-by-going-to-university - so it's not like it's that much better over here (both places allow income-based deferments, though).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mehall posted:

I have an alright house in a nice enough area of a bad town, and my commute is 30 minutes door to door.

e; tbh the only issue with this town versus other ones is it's not old so it's not got all the fancy old expensive homes.

i live in the carcass of northern industry five minutes away from my job, it's great. gently caress cities.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

CoolCab posted:

i live in the carcass of northern industry five minutes away from my job, it's great. gently caress cities.

I work in the city centre of Glasgow, and it's great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wachter posted:

I have to stifle a laugh every time the DLR stops at Mudchute

The best thing is the name isn't one of those "Oh in 1227 it was owned by the Comte de Middeshoote" things that you normally get with place names - when they dug out the docks, they got rid of the spoil by pushing it down a chute into the lower-laying marshy areas south and east of the docks. They called the chute the mud chute, and the name then stuck to the area they'd dumped the mud (as did everything else). Then when they needed to put all the mud they dredged up from around the dock entrances once they were running, well it's already called Mudchute, why not put it there?

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Echoing everyone else's sympathies and kind words. I wish I knew what else to say.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The best thing is the name isn't one of those "Oh in 1227 it was owned by the Comte de Middeshoote"

Comtes/counts/comes are a Carolingian thing, we never had them over here :colbert:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

feedmegin posted:

It's normal here to get out of college with £50k of debt - https://university.which.co.uk/advice/student-finance/how-much-debt-will-i-actually-get-into-by-going-to-university - so it's not like it's that much better over here (both places allow income-based deferments, though).

Unless you come from *social liberal paradise Scotland*.

But seriously, I'm in England these days and I'd love to think about a post-grad then realise I could never afford that and/or not manage with the anxiety of a loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I manage the anxiety of a loan by not thinking about it cos I'm never going to pay it off and have nothing they can take to pay if even if they wanted to lol.

Seems like your dumbass fault for giving me the loan nerd haha.