Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Everyone here seems to be conflating two separate ideas. People are talking about Gameboy/N64 classic consoles, not Gameboy/N64 games as the next Nintendo Online game selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm talking about Nintendo online

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Gameboy Classic is a hacked DS/Vita :dukedog:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I told my Mario 64 obsessed 5 year old son that his mom and I are effectively 'done' with the game (we beat it for him when we first showed it to him, now he plays it), and he just doesn't understand why we'd ever get tired of playing it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
People are talking about both ideas because Nintendo have done both NES and snes minis and NES and snesflix so it's perfectly reasonable to speculate about a potential n64 mini/online service?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I told my Mario 64 obsessed 5 year old son that his mom and I are effectively 'done' with the game (we beat it for him when we first showed it to him, now he plays it), and he just doesn't understand why we'd ever get tired of playing it.

I feel the same way

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He's right

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

American McGay posted:

Everyone here seems to be conflating two separate ideas. People are talking about Gameboy/N64 classic consoles, not Gameboy/N64 games as the next Nintendo Online game selection.

You're all missing the obvious choice;

LaboVR Virtual Boy games.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Do not give this child Mario Galaxy, he will overdose

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If he dies, he dies

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1084303319277989888

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

it's been 23 years and I'm still not tired of it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Do not give this child Mario Galaxy, he will overdose

Why would you give him an inferior game?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah give them Galaxy 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Yeah give them Galaxy 2

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

hatty posted:

Yeah give them Galaxy 2

Fair, fair

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He's played both Galaxy 2 and Odyssey, and STILL goes back to Mario 64. I respect the game and enjoyed playing most of it the first, second, fifth time through (and I played it when it came out), but goddamn I am so done with it now.

Edit: I should mention that we haven't even gotten all the moons in Odyssey yet. Kid's got the wrong priorities.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 17, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll never get all the moons in Odyssey.
I can't even get past the first Dark Side stuff :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has he played Mario Sunshine yet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What a cool kid! You've taught him well

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah it was sort of a big mood when I realized that the only person I know who can come close to beating me in MK8 is my own son.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Has he played Mario Sunshine yet?

Yes, actually, I had forgotten that one. He sort of likes it.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but at this point, I'd rather him be flinging water around Delphino Plaza than either restarting SM64, or loading up the completed, 120 Star file we have, going into Tick Tock Clock, and then asking me to play it for him. I love the kid, I love his enthusiasm for video games (among other interests like going outside, of course), but holy poo poo... no.... no more SM64 :negative:

That being said, I'd play a smoothed out, HD remake with better camera handling in a heartbeat. It's really the old, technical bullshit that gets in my way, especially playing something that feels so perfect, like Odyssey.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Contra looks loving horrible on the Switch. What the hell

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The new Contra just looks horrible in general

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a new Contra?

Edit: I wonder if we'll ever see The Red Star ported to anything. That game rules

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 17, 2019

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I don't think theres a Daemon X Machina thread round here, but are the Immortal Boss Fights balanced for 4 players even if you only have a team of 2? I've been playing local matches with a friend on our lunch breaks and we're having serious trouble even on Gunfort.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Fancy Hat! posted:

I don't think theres a Daemon X Machina thread round here, but are the Immortal Boss Fights balanced for 4 players even if you only have a team of 2? I've been playing local matches with a friend on our lunch breaks and we're having serious trouble even on Gunfort.

Yeah they don't scale at all. You can bring some bots along if you're playing alone, but I'm not sure if you can do that if you have a partial party.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Heath posted:

There's a new Contra?

Yeah, it looks like it plays like Neo Contra but it’s uglier.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Lodin posted:

Especially one that when they got the contract was importing and selling wheelchairs and similar things for handicapped people. :psyduck:

This I did not know, and yet it explains so many bloody things! :psyduck:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Super Metroid somehow kicks more rear end than I'd remembered, and I remember it kicking a lot of rear end.

I thought I'd find the controls bad, or the map small, or the graphics limiting, but it still rules in every except for the grappling hook way.

Since Super Metroid was released, there have been sooooooo many good metroidvanias, which i think is why i was preparing myself for mild disappointment ... but the way super metroid navigates you through its world feels really unique and actually very unlike most metroidvanias!!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 17, 2019

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Polo-Rican posted:

Super Metroid somehow kicks more rear end than I'd remembered, and I remember it kicking a lot of rear end.

I thought I'd find the controls bad, or the map small, or the graphics limiting, but it still rules in every except for the grappling hook way.

Since Super Metroid was released, there have been sooooooo many metroidvanias... but the way super metroid navigates you through its world feels really unique and actually very unlike most metroidvanias!!

Most Metroidvanias seem to take inspiration more from Symphony of the Night and subsequent Castlevania games than from the Metroid half of the pedigree. I wish more games evoked the same feeling of exploring a hostile alien ecosystem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

404notfound posted:

Most Metroidvanias seem to take inspiration more from Symphony of the Night and subsequent Castlevania games than from the Metroid half of the pedigree. I wish more games evoked the same feeling of exploring a hostile alien ecosystem.

bee boo bee boo..... bee boo bee booo.................. bee

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Fancy Hat! posted:

I just about managed it on the demo with the AI partner. I took two assault rifles and two handguns, focusing my fire on the kneecap armour and then the weak points underneath, or the ones on the big beam cannon whenever they're exposed. When the flying drones got too numerous I'd switch focus to them and try to collect the ammo they drop before it hits the ground, and I'd switch to pistols if my rifles ran low. You're way more vulnerable when you're not above the gunfort, so don't even bother with the ones on its underside unless you have the bazooka. Keep boosting out of its way every time it jumps, and try to stay in the center of the map to make sure you don't get shield slammed out of area.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

404notfound posted:

Specifically, I find that newer metroidvanias expect you to "almost complete" a big zone before moving onto the next big zone. there will be a few locked doors, and a few places you can't reach, but otherwise when you move to a new zone you're like "ok, I basically did everything here."

Whereas Super Metroid has a really weird and interesting beginning where you spend a tiny amount of time in Crateria, then the game forces you into Brinstar, and then the game forces you into Norfair before you've seen barely half of Brinstar. And then most of Norfair is unreachable, and riiiight at the point where you start to feel overwhelmed it loops you back to the beginning, and you finally have the opportunity to really dig into all of the big areas you've only had glimpses of so far.

edit: it also whips rear end that you can fight the first big boss super early if you can nail a slightly tricky walljump. really impressed with how much the game lets you sequence break.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

oh god please give me n64 nintendo daddy.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Deathstate surprise released today and I'm stoked! I don't usually like bullet hell games, but a dash of rogue-lite and :cthulhu: to mix makes it lots of fun. I spent a lot of time playing it on Steam!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So, I'm at the point right after Yashiro joins in Tokyo Mirage sessions. Is it worth finishing the game on my Wii U, or do I wait for the Switch version and start over?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yes, actually, I had forgotten that one. He sort of likes it.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but at this point, I'd rather him be flinging water around Delphino Plaza than either restarting SM64, or loading up the completed, 120 Star file we have, going into Tick Tock Clock, and then asking me to play it for him. I love the kid, I love his enthusiasm for video games (among other interests like going outside, of course), but holy poo poo... no.... no more SM64 :negative:

That being said, I'd play a smoothed out, HD remake with better camera handling in a heartbeat. It's really the old, technical bullshit that gets in my way, especially playing something that feels so perfect, like Odyssey.

It's time to reach the next level of Super Mario 64 and teach your kid about half A-presses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DanielCross posted:

So, I'm at the point right after Yashiro joins in Tokyo Mirage sessions. Is it worth finishing the game on my Wii U, or do I wait for the Switch version and start over?

You're about 75-ish% done. You might as well see it through at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Gameboy Classic is a hacked DS/Vita :dukedog:

The Gameboy Classic is a GBA SP with an EZ-Flash and a bunch of times processed through Goomba Color.