Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What is powerstancing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

fridge corn posted:

What is powerstancing?

Put a weapon in your right and left hands. Make sure you have 1.5x the STR and DEX required to wield either weapon. Hold down the button that would twohand weapon if you pressed it. Your character will raise both weapons. Now you can press the left bumper for an attack with both weapons, or the left trigger for a strong attack with both weapons.

e: had wrong button

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 28, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

fridge corn posted:

What is powerstancing?

If you have enough required stats (150% iirc) when you've got two weapons equipped you can hold the 2h button and you'll change your stance, giving you a bunch more attacks with L1/L2

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It just changes the attack animations, right? No extra damage or w/e.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

It just changes the attack animations, right? No extra damage or w/e.

It can do more damage, I think? The L2 move is usually a double hit, at least

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The stat requirement is 1.5 times the average of the stat requirements for two weapons you're powerstancing. It doesn't add more damage per hit, but it allows a different moveset with more hits per swing.

(So for instance, if I have two items that are both STR 10/DEX 6, the requirement for powerstancing is STR 15/DEX 9. If one is STR 10/DEX 6 and one is STR 14/DEX10, I need STR 18/DEX 12.)

When you powerstance, you're still holding both weapons, but your character's stance changes. If you don't meet the requirements for powerstancing, holding down the two-handing button just makes you two-hand your left-hand weapon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So no extra damage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Powerstanced attacks usually do more damage per button press in exchange for being slower and costing more stamina

They do not necessarily have more DPS than regular attacks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Powerstance generally does massive poise damage, letting you stagger anything you can't burst down outright.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Powerstance attacks are stylish.

Also dual thrusting swords do nuts burst damage for their weight, stat requirements, and the speed the attack comes out at.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Powerstance generally does massive poise damage, letting you stagger anything you can't burst down outright.

This is true, you can easily stagger the Ruin Sentinels powerstancing, to the point you can pretty much stunlock the first guy solo to death

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Most powerstance attacks also combo quickly out of an r1. That’s one reason rapier+whatever is such a good setup, since the quick jab combos into high damage slashes with both weapons. With the right gear, you can burst down almost any thing that’s not a boss in a single flurry if you’re landing counter hits. Against bosses a single rapier might be better because of stamina efficiency, but powerstance provides versatility and burst damage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you want more damage, just go full stupid rapier with a resin. :colbert: Powerstancing is fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHISHKABOB posted:

So no extra damage.
if you're attacking with 2 weapons at once you are in fact doing extra damage

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

if you're attacking with 2 weapons at once you are in fact doing extra damage

I meant each time a weapon touches the enemy. I'm not trying to say anything bad about powerstancing, I just wanted to make sure I understood it.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

IIRC, it's no more damage on a per-hit basis, but some weapons enable combos that give double hits to the weapons they're paired with, like Majestic GS, Curved Nil GS, and Warped Sword.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's a decent ADP for a hexing cleric? It takes me like 45 seconds to use an Estus and even when I roll perfectly through an attack I get nailed because apparently I have like 2 i-frames. I don't want to pump it too high since I know I'll need those early levels for attunement and faith but it would be nice to be able to roll through some poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Depends on how much attunement you want.
You can use this to find out your current iframes+how much of each stat you want to get:

http://stiemannkj1.github.io/dark-souls-2-iframe-agility-calculator/

Usually you want to shoot for 99 agility(which gets you 12 iframes) because there are hugely diminishing returns past that point.

So for example, if you wanted to just have 10 attunement, you would want 22 adaptability to reach 99 agility.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
First levels always go to 26~ ADP, almost non negotiably.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The max breakpoint for estus chugging is 100 agility, which also gives you an extra frame for your backstep. The next cutoff is 105 agility for an extra roll frame.

So I’d shoot for 100 agility.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Get 100 agility asap, and then get 105 later in the game. Levels are cheap and plentiful in DS2.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

Depends on how much attunement you want.
You can use this to find out your current iframes+how much of each stat you want to get:

http://stiemannkj1.github.io/dark-souls-2-iframe-agility-calculator/

Usually you want to shoot for 99 agility(which gets you 12 iframes) because there are hugely diminishing returns past that point.

So for example, if you wanted to just have 10 attunement, you would want 22 adaptability to reach 99 agility.

Thanks, this thing is awesome.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I have been an ardent defender of this game for years, and like the other Souls games I have done many multiple playthroughs. But my current one might be my last, short of a full control input overhaul.

Even with the tweaked Steam deadzone controller settings I feel like I'm steering a boat and not a human in this game. Why is it so clunky? Why after two games with such tight controls did they decide to go with this control system? In Demons and DS1 your character can turn on a dime and aren't locked to 8 directions. They don't feel like an aged jalopy trying to accelerate uphill when they got hit. They did the hurt animation (if you didn't poise through it) but then the control is back to normal. In DS2, your character has to re-accelerate for a second or two before they can move full speed again after getting hit. It feels like you're in quicksand.

I love the build variety and freedom of progression. I love the nerfing of the ridiculous BS tech from DS1. It has my favorite PVP in the series. I can even deal with the comparively weaker PvE design and bosses. But the game is fundamentally clunky in it's control scheme and it's getting increasingly harder to put up with!!! :mad:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yes

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm a idiot moron because I can't tell the difference between the way all the games control even though I've played them for at least a hundred and fifty hours each.

I didn't realize there was a difference in how you could roll between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 until someone pointed it out to me.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Djeser posted:

I'm a idiot moron because I can't tell the difference between the way all the games control even though I've played them for at least a hundred and fifty hours each.

I didn't realize there was a difference in how you could roll between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 until someone pointed it out to me.

Do you use a controller or M/KB?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Controller. Like I said, I'm just a big idiot.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You can move more than 8 directions what the gently caress are you talking about

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I completed a no death run of this game and have no idea what people are even talking about with this game’s controls

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Digirat posted:

I completed a no death run of this game and have no idea what people are even talking about with this game’s controls

Idk what the proper terminology for this is, but the analogue movement in ds2 is less granular than in other games in the series. An easy way to see this for yourself is to push the stick straight ahead and then slowly tilt it to the side as well, as if you're inputting a circle. There will be a noticeable delay before the player character starts turning as they run. The controls in ds1 and ds3 are "snappier" and will respond to smaller changes in input. I've never been bothered by the way ds2 handles movement, personally, but there's absolutely a difference and I can see how it might feel frustrating to some people

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Rubellavator posted:

You can move more than 8 directions what the gently caress are you talking about

Try this in DS2 compared to any other Souls:

-Move the control stick far enough in any direction that your character starts walking.

-Slowly move the stick in another direction while continuing to walk.

-Observe how much of a deadzone there is between your character changing directions.

It might not be literally 8 directions but there is a noticable gap between the level of recognized and possible directional input compared to the other games. It's like it ignores the initial 25% radius of the analog stick.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Idk what the proper terminology for this is, but the analogue movement in ds2 is less granular than in other games in the series. An easy way to see this for yourself is to push the stick straight ahead and then slowly tilt it to the side as well, as if you're inputting a circle. There will be a noticeable delay before the player character starts turning as they run. The controls in ds1 and ds3 are "snappier" and will respond to smaller changes in input. I've never been bothered by the way ds2 handles movement, personally, but there's absolutely a difference and I can see how it might feel frustrating to some people

Beat me to it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
honestly my main complaint with Dark Souls 2 is that the movement feels a lot clunkier, even before you get into the adaptability stat

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

You basically can't animation cancel ever, either. Gotta wait until your entire current animation ends before you can use a different attack/R2 or roll or anything at all, unlike the other games where you only have to wait until the actual swing portion of your attack finishes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hundreds of hours in all souls games: DS2 feels perfectly fine to me?? It's no bloodborne in terms of movement but the game was designed just fine around the way your dude controls so I'll never understand what it is that torments you guys so much.

A friend of mine picked up re4 recently and having never played it, he loathed the control scheme. He was like, why do you move like poo poo?! It took him all of one night to adjust and fall in love with the game. Some games feel differently, as long as everything is balanced around that I'm gonna have to chalk it up to you guys being irrationally picky.

If anything, ds3 is the one game that feels off/unbalanced because of how fast everything moves and how much your character just...sucks compared to the threats tossed your way mid/end game. Yes your guy is more agile in DS3 but enemies are 2x faster than you, making the game feel like poo poo towards the end. Yet no one complains about that??

In summary don't be mean to my cherished son dark souls 2

E: actually games like Witcher 3 and red dead redemption do actively feel like poo poo and it makes them nearly unplayable garbage to me so maybe I can relate some. But DS2 never game me trouble pesonally

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 18, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
For whatever reason, the way DS2 does attack animations leads to me missing more often than not, it's a lot harder to slightly change direction mid-fight. The character also moves more when attacking, leading to multiple occasions where stabbing someone next to a cliff lead to my character walking right off the edge. Which leads to my other problem with the movement - a fall that sprains your shin in all the other games is lethal in this one.
e:

KingSlime posted:

E: actually games like Witcher 3 and red dead redemption do actively feel like poo poo and it makes them nearly unplayable garbage to me so maybe I can relate some. But DS2 never game me trouble pesonally
witcher 3 is a good comparison, IMO, now that you bring it up. Movement felt clunky as poo poo in that game and it was impenetrable to me because of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
witcher 3 attacks feel bad because it's constantly changing what actual attack you do based on distance instead of letting you directly control it

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I agree about Dark Souls 3, it's pretty much the reason why it's the game I've played through the least number of times. It's fine for the most part, or at least manageable enough, until you get into the late game areas. Basically anything past Irithyll/Profaned Capital and it feels less like "if you're not paying attention you'll have to estus up" and more like "if you're not paying attention you'll die".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KingSlime posted:

If anything, ds3 is the one game that feels off/unbalanced because of how fast everything moves and how much your character just...sucks compared to the threats tossed your way mid/end game. Yes your guy is more agile in DS3 but enemies are 2x faster than you, making the game feel like poo poo towards the end. Yet no one complains about that??

lots of people do in fact myself included, but at this point you're more likely to hear discussion about the game from the people who like it and are still playing it than from people who don't and aren't

At this point I'd probably be done with 3 if not for the cinders mod, which while incredibly imbalanced and romhacky is very good at making the game feel fresh and removing some of the base game's frustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I think I might be ready to play this game again. This time, all of it.

Last time I played it for any decent amount of time is when the last DLC dropped. I never completed any of the DLCs, just hosed around in each of them. I’ve tried to play it again, including a bit of Scholar, but DaS 1 and 3 kinda made my patience for this game pretty short. Now, I haven’t played 1 and 3 for a long time, kinda burned out on them. So now might be the time to do this.

I’m not super familiar with Scholar and the different item placement/availability. What’s a good fuckin build I can fast track pretty early? I’m not opposed to having mid-late game weapon goals but I want to be able to get buff and effective pretty early so I can just enjoy moving through the game and not be frustrated too much. Interested in rad weapons, specifically mid to large size poo poo. No magic or miracles (did that on my very first playthrough when that poo poo was broken as hell).