Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jocks suck. gangs suck. nerds suck.... some cops are all three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
revenge of the nerds features the protagonists committing multiple serious felonies including sexual assault and rape.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's great how the jocks in the 80s movies were right all along. nerds must be destroyed

i mean one of the nerds in revenge of the nerds is a literal rapist in the movie so yeah

efb

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shaggar posted:

microsoft open sores licenses are purposefully incompatible with the GPL in order to avoid the taint of the fsf

they just open-sourced their c++ standard library with the llvm exception to make it gpl compatible

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i assume rms likes the film because they imply the women are okay with it too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

they just open-sourced their c++ standard library with the llvm exception to make it gpl compatible

rip

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
what do you think rms' net worth is

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Three coupons for a free (as in freedom) subway and a foot snack?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he got a half-million macarthur grant in the 90s so subtract from that the number of days since he got it multiplied by the average price of two cans of pepsi.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'd guess exactly $0, he's worthless both literally and metaphorically

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he is rich in freedom

pram
Jun 10, 2001
freedom from work, a house, showers, haircuts etc

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
someone mentioned this whole thing on workchat so i'm waiting for the Worst People to come out and defend him

gotta talk to HR about one person in particular anyway, just waiting for more ammo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mordekai posted:

gently caress all you guys for being OK with this.

this is a poster very invested in splitting hairs about why different white nationalists/right wing extremists aren't actually nazis and we shouldn't call them that

lets just call it whitephebophilia

also lol:

Mordekai posted:

has the bell crve been refuted?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

psiox posted:

someone mentioned this whole thing on workchat so i'm waiting for the Worst People to come out and defend him

gotta talk to HR about one person in particular anyway, just waiting for more ammo

boy am i glad my company culture is “work then (politely) gently caress off”

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
company culture these days seems to be 'management is hard so let's just let everyone behave however they want'

multiple people have already quit over this guy, and my approach of actually not engaging when he's being a dick has made him so mad lol

anyway never trust someone that introduces themselves with their job title, obviously stressing 'SENIOR whatever'

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

rjmccall posted:

it’s weird to look up and see that people think of the project you’ve been a part of for ten years as some sort of political weapon when all you actually cared about was making a better compiler

i don’t know anybody on llvm or clang who sees destroying the fsf as desirable much less a goal and yet that’s this ubiquitous narrative

just because it's not on the agenda at your secret cabal meetings doesn't mean it's not buried in the mission statement - like who reads those anyway?

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

psiox posted:

anyway never trust someone that introduces themselves with their job title, obviously stressing 'SENIOR whatever'

super lol that’s even a thing people do

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

psiox posted:

lol i remember i used to work with a guy whose title was "senior network administrator", despite that he was the only "network administrator" at the school district

i remembered it so hard that at my last job when we were offered title bumps in lieu of actual pay raises, when my buddy got "systems administrator" i asked for "senior systems administrator" :lofty: because i'd been there all of three months longer than him

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we have a couple of faculty who have self-assigned the title "senior lecturer" because they think they deserve it, i guess, and they use that to argue why they should get classes instead of the younger folks, etc.

(no one is a "senior lecturer;" the title does not exist)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

it’s weird to look up and see that people think of the project you’ve been a part of for ten years as some sort of political weapon when all you actually cared about was making a better compiler

i don’t know anybody on llvm or clang who sees destroying the fsf as desirable much less a goal and yet that’s this ubiquitous narrative

you may have cared about a better compiler, but Apple started signing your paychecks because gcc never agreed to merge Mach-o support into the main branch and was a pain in the rear end for moving objc forward. then gplv3 was about to hit and Apple knew they would be stuck with an old compiler. many other benefits followed, but Apple management didn’t start out because they wanted to get into the compiler business, they did it because gcc was a problem.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just popping in to remind everyone that while yes rms is awful esr is one billion times worse

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

we have a couple of faculty who have self-assigned the title "senior lecturer" because they think they deserve it, i guess, and they use that to argue why they should get classes instead of the younger folks, etc.

(no one is a "senior lecturer;" the title does not exist)

I, too, oppose seniority rights for the non-professorial class.

Why, those drat temps with their "We want a union!" nonsense: they should be glad I let them gaze upon me, an real professor with tenure!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

just popping in to remind everyone that while yes rms is awful esr is one billion times worse

like i mean idk if this needed to be mentioned but i feel like it might have, just in case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

really a question of infinity * infinity here

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

isn't esr like openly and unapologetically racist and otherwise chudly

man i regret my ill-informed young adult opinion of him stemming from the jargon file

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pram posted:

freedom from work, a house, showers, haircuts etc

iirc he got that genius grant money decades ago and lives off the investment. this sounds believable to me because it's clear the guy doesn't care much for fine clothes, expensive toys, etc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

man i regret my ill-informed young adult opinion of him stemming from the jargon file

he called black people alien poo poo zombies

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

he called black people alien poo poo zombies

he was very clear that they weren't black people, at least as americans would use the term. i can't find and don't want to look for the original post but i think from all his dancing around we concluded they were probably southeast asians or maybe lighter-skinned north africans.

the alien poo poo zombies, that is.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

he was very clear that they weren't black people, at least as americans would use the term. i can't find and don't want to look for the original post but i think from all his dancing around we concluded they were probably southeast asians or maybe lighter-skinned north africans.

the alien poo poo zombies, that is.

we don't need to get semantic about esr calling poc alien poo poo zombies

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

psiox posted:

yeah. i think theres an entire esr.txt thread somewhere

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Mordekai posted:

gently caress all you guys for being OK with this.

who are you

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

james damore's alt account

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
talking about rms' net worth i decided to see what the FSF's spending looked like.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8557

charity navigator gave them quite the good review, seems like they spend all their money on uh.. free software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

talking about rms' net worth i decided to see what the FSF's spending looked like.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8557

charity navigator gave them quite the good review, seems like they spend all their money on uh.. free software

quote:

Education and Outreach Program $535,710 49.9%
License Education Program $251,381 23.4%
GNU Project $201,202 18.7%

what exactly do those education programs do

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
does anyone have the esr.txt where he compares someone skin color to poo poo

i think he scrubbed his blog

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
rms has been lusting after "voluntary child prostitutes" for a long time, it's the epitome of all libertarian dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

this is true, but I feel like more people have taken rms seriously. despite the declining importance of gnu, it has at least produced a bunch of worthwhile software that’s still widely used, whereas esr was a one-hit wonder with a book nobody remembers anything about but the title.

plus rms generally managing to come across as harmlessly eccentric whereas esr was always creepy